What is the point of Universal Survival arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Re: What is the point of Universal Survival arc?

Post by Kaiosama » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 pm

It's a way to introduce more characters and expand the Dragon Ball Universe. Introducing mortals from other universes like Toppo and Jiren where one is a GoD candidate and the other is GoD level or beyond to further push Goku to break his limits once again. It's a great opportunity to bring back old beloved fighters like Frieza, Gohan, and Android 17 and develop them to make the supporting cast stronger so it's not just Vegeta playing sidekick to Goku.

The UI transformation is interesting and is by far my favorite out of the new God transformations IMO. Although I dislike Vegeta as a character, I suspect they might give him UI with Goku. He gives Toei the opportunity to further market UI, which will lead to more merch sales. I think this is bad writing, because it devalues Goku's accomplishments this arc and takes the spotlight away from the main character of the series, which is bad for ratings in the Japanese market. All in all, this arc helps expand the universe and leaves it open to introduce more powerful foes than Jiren because of the 4 exempt universes not participating. Plus they may be able to do something with Frieza which could cause some tension moving forward.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:10 am

To produce some cool looking battles with some fun looking characters in a franchise that is aimed towards children. I don't think there really needs to an over complicated analysis of the Universal Survival arc, especially in regards to a show like Dragon Ball Super. It's a story arc that exists because Dragon Ball is a show about fighting, and they wanted an arc that could provide constant fighting while also marketing as much as possible towards their intended target audience. A win-win situation.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm

The point is to introduce more characters and expand the Dragon Ball universe. Yes, we know the heroes will win in the end because of EoZ, but we know the heroes are going win in the end of most stories, so I don't see how this changes much. As for the other universes being brought back, we don't know for sure that the Super Dragon Balls can bring back something Zeno has erased, and even if they can, how much can they do in a single wish?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 pm

You might as well change the topic title to "What is the point of the having more Dragon Ball?" Because it'd be the same effect. We all know that no one major is going to stay dead, and even if we were PAST EoZ, we'd STILL know that U7 wouldn't just cease to exist. By your logic, there's no point in having any more story arcs ever again, because we know the end game.

But I don't agree with that mentality. I think we should just enjoy the self contained drama that an arc provides as it comes to us. That's what you do when you watch a movie. 99% of movies/series have a happy ending, where everyone is pretty much fine in the end, with only the occasional character death. So by your logic, what is the point of watching...ANYTHING?

It's part of your suspension of disbelief. In the back of your mind, you KNOW that Luke Skywalker isn't going to lose in Return of the Jedi. You KNOW that the Avengers aren't going to all just die and allow some evil dude to take over the world. But that doesn't mean you can't "fool" your mind into thinking that it's a possibility in the moment, right? I think that sort of mentality applies here in this arc as well. Yes, we know that U7 isn't going to be erased, but I don't see why that matters.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:48 pm

By that logic what is the point in any of this?

Anyway, I think appealing to viewer's nostalgic sides has to be considered a factor as well, seeing as we've got characters like Roshi, Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, #17 and #18 involved on the "front line" again. I have to say its worked for me personally. Although I have been ready for the Tournament of Power to conclude for a while now, I have enjoyed a lot of it. I've got to see a number of my favourite characters involved in the main story, and all doing pretty well.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:57 pm

Seems like many people didn't get my point. I am not questioning why the tournament exists. I am asking why make a big deal about Universal erasure even though everybody knows it's all 'Much ado about nothing'. The tournament and new characters are ok, the fake tension and trying to put things at stake is questionable
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Seems like many people didn't get my point. I am not questioning why the tournament exists. I am asking why make a big deal about Universal erasure even though everybody knows it's all 'Much ado about nothing'. The tournament and new characters are ok, the fake tension and trying to put things at stake is questionable
Well the characters don't know. Also yes I realize they are fictional and don't really "know" anything haha.

To be fair we assume but don't really know everyone will be brought back. I mean it's kind of....the generic easy way to go so it will probably happen but there is a small chance it doesnt.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"