So what is the consensus on Jiren as a character?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: So what is the consensus on Jiren as a character?

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 am

I dont know what i think about jiren as a character. If i were to say something while looking at him and seeing how strong he is, it would be this simple sentence

Jiren is a grey, greys are beyond human comorehension

I feel like that is what his design represents. In real life, greys represent beings that are so advanced in technology that they seemed to be beyond comprehension. In Dragon Ball Super, Jiren is beyond comprehension, but not in terms of technology, but in terms of power. That is why he is known as the "Mortal even a God of Destructiom Cant Defeat".

So to me his character is just that: "A Mortal a God of Destruction cant defeat." To me, that does not degrade him, it actually makes him interesting because its something that i wouldnt have expected from akira toriyama, the one who said he didnt have any plans to have goku surpass Beerus. So does that mean he changed his mind? Or does he plan to save jiren for another arc? Theres still many things i want to know about jiren.

I ALSO WANT HIM TO HAVE A PERSONALITY GOD DAMMIT.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 am

I rarely think of Jiren unless he appears on my screens. That's how little character I see he has. As much as people knock on the saiyan girls and Ribrianne, they had character, even if they weren't the greatest, and that's why they are more memorable to me than Jiren.

As far as general consensus for Jiren goes, it isn't very positive or very negative, but mixed/neutral. He doesn't have a large ham at all, or a clear motivation, nor a very interesting design at all, just power. That's all that he has going for in the anime. His reception for his manga incarnation, however, is positive.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:i still don't understand what toei is waiting for with jiren. not only did he get 0 pre tournament screentime but in the 3 episodes focused on him we got diddly squat out him. I'm no expert on storytelling but i don't think giving us info and fleshing him out when there is 2 minutes left in the tournament is a good idea. Not to mention that the way he is in the manga would somewhat explain why he does basically does the minimum during the tournament.
Do you not feel there is a possibility they may be saving that for after the tournament? Strictly business while his universe is on the line, dig a little deeper later?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:17 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:i still don't understand what toei is waiting for with jiren. not only did he get 0 pre tournament screentime but in the 3 episodes focused on him we got diddly squat out him. I'm no expert on storytelling but i don't think giving us info and fleshing him out when there is 2 minutes left in the tournament is a good idea. Not to mention that the way he is in the manga would somewhat explain why he does basically does the minimum during the tournament.
Do you not feel there is a possibility they may be saving that for after the tournament? Strictly business while his universe is on the line, dig a little deeper later?
That would be a shit idea. Why would you give us character development after the arc where he is the main obstacle? They had time to give us u6 saiyans, ribrianne,toppo, dyspo, kahseral, etc but not jiren?

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:29 pm

How are you going to come to a “consensus” on a charachter when the arc isn’t even over yet...?

This is one of those topics that are ridiculous and premature by fans who are impatient.
How i predict the tournament will end:

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:31 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:
That would be a shit idea. Why would you give us character development after the arc where he is the main obstacle? They had time to give us u6 saiyans, ribrianne,toppo, dyspo, kahseral, etc but not jiren?
Because I think there's a chance we're going to see more of him post-tournament, and learn more about him.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:41 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:
Because I think there's a chance we're going to see more of him post-tournament, and learn more about him.
How will that happen if his universe gets erased?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:07 pm

TheOne wrote:How are you going to come to a “consensus” on a charachter when the arc isn’t even over yet...?

This is one of those topics that are ridiculous and premature by fans who are impatient.
Why would the arc need to be over to ask this question? That’s like saying that you can’t give a consensus on Goku as a character because Super isn’t over yet.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:11 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
TheOne wrote:How are you going to come to a “consensus” on a charachter when the arc isn’t even over yet...?

Why would the arc need to be over to ask this question? That’s like saying that you can’t give a consensus on Goku as a character because Super isn’t over yet.
It’s not the same. Goku is a reoccurring character. You guys are trying to solidify your feelings on a charachter that we don’t even know. You’ve seen him a few times and you’re ready to come to a “consensus” about this charachter.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:12 pm

WittyUsername wrote:

Super isnt over, buy Dragon ball is over, Z is over, GT is over. Goku already has over hundreds of episodes dedicated to him, weve seen him grow up. Jiren has only had like 3-4 episdodes dedicated to him.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

Super isnt over, buy Dragon ball is over, Z is over, GT is over. Goku already has over hundreds of episodes dedicated to him, weve seen him grow up. Jiren has only had like 3-4 episdodes dedicated to him.
Thank you. Someone who gets it

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 am

Knowing Toei he'll probably embarrass himself sooner or later.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:09 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:
How will that happen if his universe gets erased?
I'll be surprised if the effects of this tournament are permanent, especially in the case of Universe 6 and 11.
Z-Fighters fan.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 am

I actually like Jiren when he's active. He doesn't have much personality, but that's almost a novelty in itself for a Dragon Ball antagonist, and he has a lot of presence. I genuinely, viscerally believe he's a cut above the rest in power. That alone is fun.

The choice to have him sit out the second act of the tournament, though, is baffling, and directs all of the tense energy he brought to the arc exactly nowhere. Jiren as a character is exaxfly as good as the tension he's bringing to the screen.

Code

Post by Code » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 am

What I dislike most about Jiren, is his plot-induced stupidity. Why did he not throw Goku off the stage after beating him? Why did he let Berserker Kale stay in the tournament?
It's so blatantly obvious, that the writers need him to make those stupid decisions, because they need those characters later on. But that makes Jiren just look like an idiot. His universe is at stake and he is implied to really care about that (being a Pride Trooper and all). And yet, he refuses to make any strategically smart choices in the tournament. It just doesn't add up.

I also don't think, he is any more bland than Hit, to be honest. We don't know anything about Hit. Why did he become an assassin? Does he have a family? What's his race called? What does he do with all the money, he is earning? He's the best assassin of his universe, so he must be filthy rich, right? What did Whis even pay him with, for trying to assassinate Goku? Super-Inter-Universe dollars? Cupcakes? Bitcoin?
None of these characters really have a background or motivation, apart from 'muh martial arts'...

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:21 am

NeoKING wrote:Years ago, in the Pokemon anime there was a character named Tobias who literally came out of nowhere during the Pokemon League tournament finals and his character was "special" because he had a legendary Pokemon on his team which was unheard of.

This character had no background, no story, no motivation. He was literally just a super tough guy in the final rounds of the tournament for Ash to fight. When Ash beat his legendary Pokemon, it turns out he had another one in tow. Again, for literally no reason. Just because he was that strong.

This is because Tobias wasn't a character per se, but more so a vehicle that the writers can use to demonstrate that Ash has a long way to go before becoming a Pokemon Master.

Jiren is literally the same medium. His character isn't what's important. It's what he represents for Son Goku. I wouldn't be surprised if the ToP is the last we ever hear of him. In fact, Jiren might be considered a Diablos Ex Machina.
I remember tobias my god that guy was a gary stu.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:47 am

TheOne wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

It’s not the same. Goku is a reoccurring character. You guys are trying to solidify your feelings on a charachter that we don’t even know. You’ve seen him a few times and you’re ready to come to a “consensus” about this charachter.
We’ve seen enough on Jiren to be able to make judgements about how his character has been portrayed thus far. I really don’t see what your issue is.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
TheOne wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
We’ve seen enough on Jiren to be able to make judgements about how his character has been portrayed thus far. I really don’t see what your issue is.
We really havent. His personality has just started been explored in the manga. We need more before we can make a conclusion.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
TheOne wrote:
We really havent. His personality has just started been explored in the manga. We need more before we can make a conclusion.
He’s been prominent in the anime for a while now. Why can’t we make judgements about his character based on what we’ve seen so far?

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
He’s been prominent in the anime for a while now. Why can’t we make judgements about his character based on what we’ve seen so far?
There’s nothing wrong with making an analysis of a character, but your topic implies that we’ve seen enough so far and now it’s time to make a decision on what we think of him when the arc isn’t over.

That may not be your intention, but that’s how it came across to us.

I wouldn’t say he’s been prominent. Sure he’s had a few scuffles, but I don’t think we are going to learn anything until the end gets closer.