Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official "DB (Super) 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Will Sumitomo return to do the score or will they get someone else just for this movie?

Imagine someone like Yuki Hayashi doing the soundtrack. That would make me go insane. He did the music for One Piece FIlm: Gold so it's a possibility.
I mentioned this a few pages ago, I would definitley like to see him take a stab at making music for Dragon Ball
We'll get our very own version of 'You Say Run' similar to how Film: Gold got that through the track 'Daigyakuten'. That would be a dream come true.

Seeing as to how this movie is fulfilling so many of my dreams that I thought would never happen for this franchise, Yuki Hayashi doing the soundtrack doesn't sound far-fetched at all. :lol:
Daigyakuten is one of the best pieces of music on the Film: Gold OST so just thinking about Dragon Ball possibly getting a similar track is getting me pumped. Sumitomo has been alright this past arc, but Hayashi would bring the much needed energy to the music
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 pm

He doesn't look like a villain to me; I wanna say that's possibly Yamoshi and he'll end up being the movie-specific ally against whoever the actual villain is.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Chuquita wrote:He doesn't look like a villain to me; I wanna say that's possibly Yamoshi and he'll end up being the movie-specific ally against whoever the actual villain is.
Agreed.

Time for a crackpot plot guess...

He is one original of the original saiyans that through some means has made it through time or was frozen and found his way to Earth hearing that saiyans of his time is there, finds them insights a brutal sparring session with Goku where for the first quarter of the movie we think he is the bad guy, and after the fight...

We get revealed that he isn’t there to kill them, just testing the mettle of the modern saiyans, to make sure they haven’t gone soft, we learn he is actually a pretty cool dude, probably a more invisioned/intensified version of Goku/Vegeta where he is even MORE of a Blood Knight than them although seems to still be an amiable guy (either that or he is a jerkass with a heart of gold)

He goes on to get along with them introduced to the gang and talk about Saiyan history and ancestry

Then after he is done, the real villain shows up having some beef with the Saiyan that showed up or chased him here, and from then on things get blurry, but this is what I feel the first half of the movie will go.

I will love the shit out of this movie if it does go this way rather than him being the threat throughout all of it.

Geraldix

Post by Geraldix » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 am

Hear me out boys, the plot will go like this:

> Whis tells Goku about the legend of Yamoshi, the original super saiyan god, who lived thousands of years ago

> Goku says it is a pity he can't fight such an interesting guy. Whis says he could arrange that by sending Goku to the past, with the condition that he won't do anything that can change the past, or grave consequences will occur

> Goku agrees and Whis send him to Yamoshi's timeline/planet Salad

> Goku soon finds Yamoshi. They fight and it is at this moment that Yamoshi turns into SSJG for the first time, under Goku's tutelage.

> Goku is just having fun and could, of course, easily defeat Yamoshi with SSJBlue or Ultra Instinct, but he fears that would alter history, so he decides to stop their match

> Goku's rule-breaking time travel did not go unnoticed, and someone soon appears to check on this time-traveling delinquent: it's Whis and the God of Destruction of this age, Beerus' predecessor!

> Despite Goku's plights, Whis can't recognize him because, of course, he has never seen Goku before. He does, tho, starts to suspect of what is really happening

> Beerus's predecessor wants to erase Goku for his crimes. Goku proposes a duel: if he looses, he will be erased. Should the fight end his way or in a draw, he is free to go, and Whis from the past will help him going back to his timeline/Earth

> Goku totally kicks the God of Destruction's ass with Ultra Instinct. Whis sends him home

> The GoD tells Whis that maybe he is starting to get too old for this job, getting beaten like this by a mortal. Maybe he should start looking for someone to train and succeed him.

> Back to present Earth, Goku tells Whis of everything that happened, to which Whis replies he already knew all of that, since he was there! Whis intentionally sent Goku to the past to complete a temporal paradox where Goku is responsible for both the first appearance of the legendary Super Saiyan God and the start of Beerus journey as the new GoD

> Yamoshi, who just watched the fight between Goku and the GoD, promises himself to train even harder, so that the saiyan race will someday get strong like this guys (he doesn't realize Goku is also a saiyan due to Goku's missing tail)

> THE END

If at least 75% of this turns out to be true, you guys will all own me a beer!

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:08 am

is this movie is really gonna be world wide? like going be in EU, US, SA, JP across around the world?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:15 am

Geraldix wrote:Hear me out boys, the plot will go like this:

> Whis tells Goku about the legend of Yamoshi, the original super saiyan god, who lived thousands of years ago

> Goku says it is a pity he can't fight such an interesting guy. Whis says he could arrange that by sending Goku to the past, with the condition that he won't do anything that can change the past, or grave consequences will occur

> Goku soon finds Yamoshi. They fight and it is at this moment that Yamoshi turns into SSJG for the first time, under Goku's tutelage.

> Goku is just having fun and could, of course, easily defeat Yamoshi with SSJBlue or Ultra Instinct, but he fears that would alter history, so he decides to stop their match

> Goku's rule-breaking time travel did not go unnoticed, and someone soon appears to check on this time-traveling delinquent: it's Whis and the God of Destruction of this age, Beerus' predecessor!

> Despite Goku's plights, Whis can't recognize him because, of course, he has never seen Goku before. He does, tho, starts to suspect of what is really happening

> Beerus's predecessor wants to erase Goku for his crimes. Goku proposes a duel: if he looses, he will be erased. Should the fight end his way or in a draw, he is free to go, and Whis from the past will help him going back to his timeline/Earth

> Goku totally kicks the God of Destruction's ass with Ultra Instinct. Whis sends him home

> The GoD tells Whis that maybe he is starting to get too old for this job, getting beaten like this by a mortal. Maybe he should start looking for someone to train and succeed him.

> Back to present Earth, Goku tells Whis of everything that happened, to which Whis replies he already knew all of that, since he was there! Whis intentionally sent Goku to the past to complete a temporal paradox where Goku is responsible for both the first appearance of the legendary Super Saiyan God and the start of Beerus journey as the new GoD

> Yamoshi, who just watched the fight between Goku and the GoD, promises himself to train even harder, so that the saiyan race will someday get strong like this guys (he doesn't realize Goku is also a saiyan due to Goku's missing tail)

> THE END

As much as I dont care about "Yamoshi" this does sound plausible as hell, extremely boring though seeing as though we'll have 80 minutes of Goku and Two new characters who'll fade into obscurity anyway.

Is the new guy confirmed to be a saiyan or is everyone just assuming that its heavily implied to be so with the clothing glimpse and "Saiyans have no limits" then with "Earth has Goku" implying that the other guy is the top dog saiyan on some other planet?

I'm in the minority but I REALLY don't care for Yamoshi, if he's mentioned in the movie, cool. He does not however need to be a focal point. If this is gonna delve a little more into the Saiyans and Freeza's relationship then I yeah I guess it would make since for the new guy to be a Saiyan but NOT Yamoshi, Freeza wasn't around when he was alive. I don't buy him (new dude) being a good guy though either, he looks way too blood lusted for it to just be casual sparring between he and Goku.

All in All, i'm looking forward to see where this goes.

Also Goku's jumping, while fluid as all hell, the actual motion was a bit weird when he was flailing his arms forward.. Nobody moves like that, looked unnatural.. just a small critique on my part, i'm no expert and i'm sure that was just pulled to show off the budget and effort being put in.. but yeah.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 am

Geraldix wrote:Hear me out boys, the plot will go like this:

> THE END

I'll grant you 3% correct because you mentioned Goku, Beerus and Whis.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 am

Nah, it won't. Whis wasn't even aware of the SSG in Battle of Gods.
Goku fighting the evil saiyan who killed Yamoshi would make more sense, then Yamoshi himself.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 am

KayDash wrote:

Goku fighting the evil saiyan who killed Yamoshi would make more sense, then Yamoshi himself.
That, and Yamoshi wasn’t the original SSJG, he became a SSJ, lost, and then his soul continued searching for 6 pure hearted Saiyans.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:09 am

Son Gara wrote:Really enjoying the art style so far, hope to see more of it as time goes on. Watched the teaser a few times now and love that part at the beginning of Goku just bouncing around. It just looks so damn fluid!
Yuuup.

Nice to be able to say something positive about Super for once.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:17 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:
KayDash wrote:

That, and Yamoshi wasn’t the original SSJG, he became a SSJ, lost, and then his soul continued searching for 6 pure hearted Saiyans.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

According to the last interview, Goku is the first SSJG in history.
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 am

KayDash wrote:

Yamoshi wasn't killed by an evil Saiyan, he was overwhelmed by numbers.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 am

I love the new design the old feels so rigid when compared. They just raised my expectations by a lot. The animation looked pretty good.
Can't say the Saiyan(supposed?) grabbed my interest.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 am

STH wrote:According to the last interview, Goku is the first SSJG in history.
There is no indication in the interviews that Goku was the first one.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 am

I'm absolutely adoring the animation in the new teaser. However, I've seen the sentiment of “they sacrificed art for animation” expressed a few times and that's frustrating me. They didn't sacrifice the art at all. The individual drawings in the teaser are vastly superior to the majority of what we've seen in Super.

More surface-level details do not make a drawing good. A poorly-structured drawing is a poorly-structured drawing no matter how much extra hatching, shading and highlights you slap onto it.

I whipped up a quick example:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Vegeta on the right has more detail. There are more lines on his face, ears and neck, there are more corners to get that sharp, angular look, there's even a laid out highlight in his hair, but...I'd be stunned if anybody honestly thought it was the better drawing. It's terrible. None of the placements of his features make any sense. It's flat, awkward and ugly. And it's exactly the kind of shit we've been seeing all over the franchise for the last several years.

Meanwhile the Vegeta on the left is far less detailed. It's very soft and round, and there are less lines in the facial features, the ears, neck, and even the hair...and yet it's a dramatically better drawing. It's visibly better-structured because...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
...it actually was structured. I put significantly more time and effort into the one on the left.

And that's exactly what I'm seeing in the teaser. There's a sense of volume in the art style that we haven't had in a long time (barring the occasional episodes of Super that deliberately ignored the character models in the interest of actually looking good).

Vissy

Post by Vissy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 am

I've seen people speculate whether the animation in the teaser trailer was by Shintani or Onishi. Personally, it always looked a bit more like Shintani (his style seems smoother and slightly more realistic than Onishi's) but I might well be wrong. I loved the trailer, it was really hype. I wonder if this new movie is going to feature more Ultra Instinct? Or will this be more like a one-time thing that Goku has to work to achieve each time he's in a fight?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 am

ErikB wrote:I'm absolutely adoring the animation in the new teaser. However, I've seen the sentiment of “they sacrificed art for animation” expressed a few times and that's frustrating me. They didn't sacrifice the art at all. The individual drawings in the teaser are vastly superior to the majority of what we've seen in Super.

More surface-level details do not make a drawing good. A poorly-structured drawing is a poorly-structured drawing no matter how much extra hatching, shading and highlights you slap onto it.

I whipped up a quick example:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Vegeta on the right has more detail. There are more lines on his face, ears and neck, there are more corners to get that sharp, angular look, there's even a laid out highlight in his hair, but...I'd be stunned if anybody honestly thought it was the better drawing. It's terrible. None of the placements of his features make any sense. It's flat, awkward and ugly. And it's exactly the kind of shit we've been seeing all over the franchise for the last several years.

Meanwhile the Vegeta on the left is far less detailed. It's very soft and round, and there are less lines in the facial features, the ears, neck, and even the hair...and yet it's a dramatically better drawing. It's visibly better-structured because...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
...it actually was structured. I put significantly more time and effort into the one on the left.

And that's exactly what I'm seeing in the teaser. There's a sense of volume in the art style that we haven't had in a long time (barring the occasional episodes of Super that deliberately ignored the character models in the interest of actually looking good).
Holy crap, thanks for the fantastic post, I'll be sure to link this post as an example for later discussions.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:28 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
This most likely isn't from the movie as the last 2 movies teasers weren't. He may have been acting like that to show the way the animation moves as it's a new style.
That's the vibe I'm getting too, trying to show the emphasis on the new change.

But anyway, a Saiyan huh? Well that's a bit disappointing, we just had Black. But it does make sense given they said the movie would be about Saiyans.
Black was Zamasu in Goku’s body, not a ‘real Saiyan’.

Anyway, I’m getting a One Piece movie six vibe. Namely they’re going for a less detailed style for more fluid animation. It will take time, but I will grow into it.
Goku is a Saiyan. Ergo Black/Zamasu stealing his body makes him one. No two ways about it. He can transform and use techniques like one.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:29 am

STH wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
STH wrote:I think he is new villain;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

(Dragon Ball Legends Trailer;
https://youtu.be/sL1aH6exacA )
What's the reasoning behind a videogame character being this new movie villan?
This new character was designed by Toriyama.
'Designed' is giving this far too much credit.
I guess at least it's Gohan and not Goku in a new outfit this time.

Original Dragonball character do not steal.

I really hope it's not that guy just due to his uninspired look. Say what you will about the U6 saiyan designs, at least they weren't Malibu Gohan in a new hat.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:43 am

Akyon wrote:'Designed' is giving this far too much credit.
I guess at least it's Gohan and not Goku in a new outfit this time.

Original Dragonball character do not steal.

I really hope it's not that guy just due to his uninspired look. Say what you will about the U6 saiyan designs, at least they weren't Malibu Gohan in a new hat.
The promo artist didn't do Toriyama's drawing justice in that image IMO.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He looks waaay better in Toriyama's original drawing. I didn't get the impression that he looked like Gohan up until I saw the promo image.