Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by majinwarman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:47 pm

emperior wrote:With the movie being so heavily focused on Saiyans, the title should definitely include the word "Saiyan" as that is a word a lot of fans associate Dragon Ball with, similar to how Jedi is associated with Star Wars. It's also worth mentioning just how much the Saiyans are loved by the fans of this serie.
I could see that happening.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Toriyama alredy stated Yamoshi was a pure saiyan, of course, they can bring saiyans out of nowhere but it was alredy stated Yamoshi is good.
Also, anda maybe the most important thing, he is dead.
I believe that it is more probably that this saiyan is from another universe than that this saiyan is actually Yamoshi
As I've already said in this thread a dozen times, there's no reason to assume that the new Saiyan is evil. Beerus was the main antagonist of Battle of Gods. Was he evil? Super had Hit and Jiren as main antagonists. Neither of them were evil. It's very much in the realm of possibility that the Saiyan in the trailer is another nonevil antagonist.

As for being dead, there are a million possible explanations for him being alive. Maybe Yamoshi wasn't actually killed, but had been frozen in ice like Broly was. Maybe he found a way to get his life back. Maybe he isn't alive, and it's just his wandering spirit manifesting itself.
What Super needs is a villain. We’ve only had one original villain in all of Super so far because they’ve been spending their time on Tournaments. I hope we get an actually malicious character so this movie can have a little more tension, something Super as a whole has been lacking in for the most part. Having some fight where nothing is at stake is boring.
I think having a villain is important as well. We need more villains besides Zamasu and Goku Black.
Majinwarman

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:What Super needs is a villain. We’ve only had one original villain in all of Super so far because they’ve been spending their time on Tournaments. I hope we get an actually malicious character so this movie can have a little more tension, something Super as a whole has been lacking in for the most part. Having some fight where nothing is at stake is boring.
I don't disagree with you. I would like more true villains in Dragon Ball Super. But I think a well-intentioned antagonist can work too, if done right.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: What Super needs is a villain. We’ve only had one original villain in all of Super so far because they’ve been spending their time on Tournaments. I hope we get an actually malicious character so this movie can have a little more tension, something Super as a whole has been lacking in for the most part. Having some fight where nothing is at stake is boring.
While I do agree, the problem is where do we go after Jiren and Zamasu? We've had a literal god fusion and a beyond god threat.

Really really REALLY hope we see the guy who killed Jiren's family, but that might not be till after the movie

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 am

We have got the origins of the Saiyans and Freeza explained, the introduction of a lot new Saiyan-characters and a very long fierce battle (in multiple stages) on what looks to be earth as (one) location. That's a lot to put in a 95 minutes movie. Planet Sadal and Jiren's villain definetely are possible seeds for new arcs if the series (or movies) continue.

This movie could set up to a Planet Sadal-arc. Just imagine all the earth Saiyans travelling to Sadal with the new (good) Saiyans that are introcuded in the movie, to re-unite with Cabba, Caulifla and Kale, and get to meet the King, before a number of unexpected events begin to occur. A great idea on paper, and it already got a hint because of the Vegeta-Cabba-relation. Z-fighters and Pride Troopers teaming-up against Jiren's foe could be a great futur arc as well. But if Super is about to continue, why should they all put it in this movie? They need some additional ideas for later to work at.

I'm convinced we will see U6 and U11 back, they are revived for a reason. But i'm afraid the movie is a little too short to give it all a place.
I could very well be mistaken, but given the Saiyans-with-tail-hint and the reference to Freeza's origins i think this movie will mainly focuss on (the history of) U7.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: What Super needs is a villain. We’ve only had one original villain in all of Super so far because they’ve been spending their time on Tournaments. I hope we get an actually malicious character so this movie can have a little more tension, something Super as a whole has been lacking in for the most part. Having some fight where nothing is at stake is boring.
While I do agree, the problem is where do we go after Jiren and Zamasu? We've had a literal god fusion and a beyond god threat.

Really really REALLY hope we see the guy who killed Jiren's family, but that might not be till after the movie
Honestly, I think we need villains with ability over strength now. Mainly magic like Makaioshin or something where they’re abilities make up for their lack of enough strength to go up against Goku and Vegeta.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

Honestly, I think we need villains with ability over strength now. Mainly magic like Makaioshin or something where they’re abilities make up for their lack of enough strength to go up against Goku and Vegeta.
You know, the original concept for the God of Destruction character in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods might fit the bill for these purposes.

He was gonna be called "Birisu" or something like that in reference to "virus", and he would've spread evil and malice to characters, making them fight the good guys. Now, I'm glad we got Beerus in the end, but the original idea wasn't too shabby. Maybe Toei and Toriyama could rework that for the next movie coming out, with the villain not being a Saiyan, but some slimy guy who uses dark magic to corrupt characters and make them fight each other.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

You know, the original concept for the God of Destruction character in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods might fit the bill for these purposes.

He was gonna be called "Birisu" or something like that in reference to "virus", and he would've spread evil and malice to characters, making them fight the good guys. Now, I'm glad we got Beerus in the end, but the original idea wasn't too shabby. Maybe Toei and Toriyama could rework that for the next movie coming out, with the villain not being a Saiyan, but some slimy guy who uses dark magic to corrupt characters and make them fight each other.
Your description fits the Potafeu arc pefectly. They sort of used the same idea for it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

where did it say this?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:29 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Honestly, I think we need villains with ability over strength now. Mainly magic like Makaioshin or something where they’re abilities make up for their lack of enough strength to go up against Goku and Vegeta.

where did it say this?
I believe shortly after Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods released, there were interviews conducted with Yusuke Watanabe and Akira Toriyama.

In Toriyama's case, it was because he mistook "Birisu" for being a pun on "beer", and with Watanabe, the concept was apparently supposed to be a lizard-looking fella that infected people with evil and made the Saiyans evil in the first place; I'd appreciate it if folks with better research skills could verify these factoids.

The idea certainly would be an interesting one to bring back. I mean, a guy who made the Saiyans a bunch of assholes in the first place? Imagine if THAT were the reason why the tails were preserved in Universe 7 Saiyans; it represented their ruthlessness as they maintained their connections to their animalistic roots as Great Apes.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:39 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: You know, the original concept for the God of Destruction character in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods might fit the bill for these purposes.

where did it say this?
I believe shortly after Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods released, there were interviews conducted with Yusuke Watanabe and Akira Toriyama.

In Toriyama's case, it was because he mistook "Birisu" for being a pun on "beer", and with Watanabe, the concept was apparently supposed to be a lizard-looking fella that infected people with evil and made the Saiyans evil in the first place; I'd appreciate it if folks with better research skills could verify these factoids.

The idea certainly would be an interesting one to bring back. I mean, a guy who made the Saiyans a bunch of assholes in the first place? Imagine if THAT were the reason why the tails were preserved in Universe 7 Saiyans; it represented their ruthlessness as they maintained their connections to their animalistic roots as Great Apes.
I'd like a link to this interview please, not that i dont believe you but it sounds like there'd be a lot of other stuff in there that'd be interesting to read

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:40 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

This

I really dont think there should be anyone in series who should outright be more powerful than Merged Zamasu with exception of a final villain.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:I'd like a link to this interview please, not that i dont believe you but it sounds like there'd be a lot of other stuff in there that'd be interesting to read
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... taff-talk/

Search for "virus".

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:01 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

This

I really dont think there should be anyone in series who should outright be more powerful than Merged Zamasu with exception of a final villain.
I think that you can create a good villain that is both powerful and has creative abilities.
Majinwarman

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:24 am

majinwarman wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Honestly, I think we need villains with ability over strength now. Mainly magic like Makaioshin or something where they’re abilities make up for their lack of enough strength to go up against Goku and Vegeta.
This

I think that you can create a good villain that is both powerful and has creative abilities.
True, but my problem with the Zamasu scenario, moreso in the anime, is he is literally a fusion of a god and a super saiyan blue level god enemy. Vegito fought him at his blue state and that was the most malicious threat weve had so far, but then my problem follows after.

Jiren is super strong, but do we know where he stacks in relation to Vegito Blue and Zamasu? Is Ultra instinct goku stronger than blue vegito? How do we justify a power spike from Goku that huge one arc later, and how do we keep making stronger threats after that?

I personally don't like to think the biggest bad we've had is going to be thrown to the side by a single entity that comes out of nowhere, we've already gone into the god territory of power now

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:34 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I don't think we'll know the title for the film until the official poster is revealed. We'll probably get something in July judging by how the poster and title for Resurrection 'F' was revealed 5 months before its release.

I wonder who'll be the artist for the poster? Would Naohiro Shintani be a safe bet since he's the official character designer for the film?
Yeah that sounds about right, summer is also when the U.S tour is happening too.

Merch solicits for December should go up in about a month though like RF before the title reveal any merch was simply referred to as "2015 Theatrical" so unlikely we'll get any information about the movie in the way of that. 2018 has been the best year for quality of DB merch so I hope to god the designs for the new characters are good.

Since Yamamuro did all the promo art being CD I'd assume so here. It's great to feel excited about promo art! I hope the promo art is also creative aswell as obviously good. For example there was this Z one from Saiyan arc where half of Vegeta's face blended into the background... It was so cool! I wanna see stuff like that again!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:18 am

Nishii Terumi tweeted a photo of Nagamine Tatsuya and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu hanging out. It'll be interesting to see if Yama'uchi winds up storyboarding a piece of the film or is asked to do something for the franchise. Yama'uchi directed many episodes of Dragon Ball Z (including Episode #279) and directed Movies #11, #13, #15 and #17, while serving as supervisor for #12, #14, and #16.

She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:36 am

JulieYBM wrote:Nishii Terumi tweeted a photo of Nagamine Tatsuya and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu hanging out. It'll be interesting to see if Yama'uchi winds up storyboarding a piece of the film or is asked to do something for the franchise. Yama'uchi directed many episodes of Dragon Ball Z (including Episode #279) and directed Movies #11, #13, #15 and #17, while serving as supervisor for #12, #14, and #16.

How does story boarding work? Is there one person who does all the storyboarding or are there multiple people who are each in charge of a certain scene in the movie?

If its the latter, I hope Megumi Ishitani (the golden star of 131) gets a scene to storyboard.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:53 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: How does story boarding work? Is there one person who does all the storyboarding or are there multiple people who are each in charge of a certain scene in the movie?

If its the latter, I hope Megumi Ishitani (the golden star of 131) gets a scene to storyboard.
It depends. If the storyboard artist had enough time to storyboard an episode or movie by themselves they typically will, just so that they have more control. The typical episode's storyboard usually takes 2-3 weeks to complete but that can vary depending upon the speed of the artist. Yuasa Masa'aki famously storyboarded each episode of Ping-Pong in ten days each. Yama'uchi storyboarded ten of the twenty-four episodes of Casshern SINS and directed seven of those boards himself. Nagamine and Kureta Kouhei (technical director for Fukkatsu no F) shared storyboarding duties for One Piece Film Z, so depending upon the schedule Nagamine might need help, unless he just wants sections overseen by his friends for fun.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Nishii Terumi tweeted a photo of Nagamine Tatsuya and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu hanging out. It'll be interesting to see if Yama'uchi winds up storyboarding a piece of the film or is asked to do something for the franchise. Yama'uchi directed many episodes of Dragon Ball Z (including Episode #279) and directed Movies #11, #13, #15 and #17, while serving as supervisor for #12, #14, and #16.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbYWzLyV4AA ... g:orig[img]
Broly confirmed! /s