Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: I hope a good plot complements the movie's high quality production.
You shouldn't, because you likely will be disappointed.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: I hope a good plot complements the movie's high quality production.
You shouldn't, because you likely will be disappointed.
Maybe you’re just being too much of a pessimist.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 pm

My expectations for the plot are low partly because of Toriyama oddly enough. That Goku Black arc I mostly liked came at the suggestion of Shueisha and I enjoyed the anime version of it way more than the manga one.

I mean....I liked what Toriyama did with BOG the movie. And I still smile wide at the hand holding teleport that was only in Toriyama's version of F, but.....I barely recall the manga version of the Champa arc and the manga version of the ToP while more befitting that format I'm still a mixed bag on the arc itself. Though I have no way of knowing where his ideas end and Toyotaro's begin.

But I'm also burned out on tournaments so at the very least I hope it's not yet another tournament. I want something with an antagonist. I want something with multiple settings. The snow is fine because its going to be in December, but I hope we get to see something more than just that.

My expectations for the plot are middle of the road. It's the animation I have high expectations for.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Kale and Caulifla are pretty unique compared to the other Saiyans we've seen in the past. Their dynamic together was a lot of fun to watch during the ToP.

I have mixed feelings with Frost. Even though I would have preferred the good guy Freeza approach during the Champa arc, I actually do kinda like the idea of no matter the universe or alternate reality, Freeza will always be an evil bastard.

Having a plot revolving around the Saiyans (and possibly Freeza) is a good idea if they want a huge hit at the box office and big merchandise sales.

Personally, what's drawing me towards the film is its ambitious production.

Caulifla is pretty much a female Cell arc Vegeta ×10.

I don't mind Frost being evil, I just wish they used his good side as a major plot point for later when he shows his real colors.

Risks that pay off end up doing even better.

That's the most thing I'm looking forward to as I think its fights will be out of this world.
Some similarities but she really isn't a female Cell saga Vegeta.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Zen Yabuki wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Kale and Caulifla are pretty unique compared to the other Saiyans we've seen in the past. Their dynamic together was a lot of fun to watch during the ToP.

I have mixed feelings with Frost. Even though I would have preferred the good guy Freeza approach during the Champa arc, I actually do kinda like the idea of no matter the universe or alternate reality, Freeza will always be an evil bastard.

Having a plot revolving around the Saiyans (and possibly Freeza) is a good idea if they want a huge hit at the box office and big merchandise sales.

Personally, what's drawing me towards the film is its ambitious production.

Caulifla is pretty much a female Cell arc Vegeta ×10.

I don't mind Frost being evil, I just wish they used his good side as a major plot point for later when he shows his real colors.

Risks that pay off end up doing even better.

That's the most thing I'm looking forward to as I think its fights will be out of this world.
Some similarities but she really isn't a female Cell saga Vegeta.
I agree. All she has is cockiness. When you really look, she is actually pretty nice, loyal, and encouraging to her own allies, especially Kale. And she also respects people who she knows are more powerful and ends up envying them. She doesn’t even really have that much pride. If she really was Cell arc Vegeta, she would act more like a loner who doesn’t accept help, encourage people, or throw their pride away to ask someone else to teacher her something.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:07 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I remember Ajay saying that the film's storyboard has been completed and they're at the key animation stage of the film.
Yes, some animators were handed boards to start their work in January.
The production is fine to me. I hope it continues to be that way.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:37 am

Chuquita wrote:My expectations for the plot are low partly because of Toriyama oddly enough. That Goku Black arc I mostly liked came at the suggestion of Shueisha and I enjoyed the anime version of it way more than the manga one.

I mean....I liked what Toriyama did with BOG the movie. And I still smile wide at the hand holding teleport that was only in Toriyama's version of F, but.....I barely recall the manga version of the Champa arc and the manga version of the ToP while more befitting that format I'm still a mixed bag on the arc itself. Though I have no way of knowing where his ideas end and Toyotaro's begin.

But I'm also burned out on tournaments so at the very least I hope it's not yet another tournament. I want something with an antagonist. I want something with multiple settings. The snow is fine because its going to be in December, but I hope we get to see something more than just that.

My expectations for the plot are middle of the road. It's the animation I have high expectations for.
The manga script is mostly up to Toyotaro, with Toriyama providing the outlines and some changes here and there. The same can be said for the anime.
It is their fault when they aren’t able to portray the story in cool and interesting ways and their merit when they can.
BoG and RoF are far better example of Toriyama’s modern DB stories because he wrote the dialogues and exactly how each scene had to play out. I actually enjoyed both the movies quite a lot and it was clear Toriyama wrote them because of the jokes and the dialogue. Toei and Toyotaro can imitate Toriyama very well, but I always prefer him because he is the only one who can truly change and shape Dragon Ball however he wants.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am

emperior wrote:
Chuquita wrote:My expectations for the plot are low partly because of Toriyama oddly enough. That Goku Black arc I mostly liked came at the suggestion of Shueisha and I enjoyed the anime version of it way more than the manga one.

The manga script is mostly up to Toyotaro, with Toriyama providing the outlines and some changes here and there. The same can be said for the anime.
It is their fault when they aren’t able to portray the story in cool and interesting ways and their merit when they can.
BoG and RoF are far better example of Toriyama’s modern DB stories because he wrote the dialogues and exactly how each scene had to play out. I actually enjoyed both the movies quite a lot and it was clear Toriyama wrote them because of the jokes and the dialogue. Toei and Toyotaro can imitate Toriyama very well, but I always prefer him because he is the only one who can truly change and shape Dragon Ball however he wants.
The only problems i have with modern Toriyama are his character designs. Some are pretty good but others are just too goofy. Since he’s making ancient saiyans, the designs already need to have a certain level of seriousness so I'm glad he’s drawing saiyans. A goofy design is welcome but just not too many.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am

Chuquita wrote:I really hope the plot for this movie is denser than F. Seeing all this effort put into animation and character design makes me hope they're working to make an engaging and fun plot line to work with too. I'm starving for db plot stuff after the mixed bag that was the ToP.
I mean, it's not really hard to be denser than Resurrection F, is it? It's a very basic "fight the bad guys" plot with some stuff that was used later to make it more important. The only thing we learned about Frieza was that he was a lazy ass who didn't train, so giving him any kind of backstory or history at all would give this movie a leg-up. :lol: Surely it'll have something to explain where that Saiyan came from if he isn't from Universe 6. ...unless they pull a Turles/Broly/Paragus and he's just been farting around space the whole time. :problem:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:00 pm

Both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F has very shallow stories. The former probably more so.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything special with this one but it wouldn't be hard for them to come out with a better story.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Testament to DBS' brand name overseas. (Ironically enough the past two SMSP, 2015&16, were under DBS in Japan but then Z overseas).

Crazy how much of a success it has been both domestically and overseas, never expected the retellings to do well overseas too. The show was great so I hope the movie can back that up!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Bullza wrote:Both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F has very shallow stories. The former probably more so.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything special with this one but it wouldn't be hard for them to come out with a better story.
At least BOG was original and had truly new content. RF and this new movie are just the same old Freeza and Saiyans so I honestly don't see what else they can do with those elements at this point. You'd think with how well BOG did they'd try newer ideas.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:29 pm

sintzu wrote:At least BOG was original and had truly new content. RF and this new movie are just the same old Freeza and Saiyans so I honestly don't see what else they can do with those elements at this point. You'd think with how well BOG did they'd try newer ideas.
Well Battle of God's had original concepts but like the other Universes but that didn't​ add to its story. Resurrection F was a basic revenge story but it was a bit more fleshed out.

I'd hope this new movie has nothing to do with revenge or the usual plot devices like the villain wanting to find a strong challenger or wanting the Dragon Balls for immortality.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Current Toriyama + New's Saiyan lore just tells me to be prepared to big retcons.
I don't expect anything complex, but I would like it to not be offensive either.
Chuquita wrote:My expectations for the plot are low partly because of Toriyama oddly enough.
I'm on this boat too. Toei already proved they have more ambitious ideas for this franchise than Toriyama. They just need help to execute them.
With Toriyama we are either stuck with Tournaments and/or bringing Freeza back.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:23 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Current Toriyama + New's Saiyan lore just tells me to be prepared to big retcons.
I don't expect anything complex, but I would like it to not be offensive either.
Chuquita wrote:My expectations for the plot are low partly because of Toriyama oddly enough.
I'm on this boat too. Toei already proved they have more ambitious ideas for this franchise than Toriyama. They just need help to execute them.
It's obvious to see why. He leaves fighting all up to the anime staff and thus tournaments require less work from him.

It's such a Toriyama thing to do I wouldn't be that surprised if that's the reason 2/3 main new material arcs of DBS were tournaments.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:37 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bullza wrote:Both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F has very shallow stories. The former probably more so.

At least BOG was original and had truly new content. RF and this new movie are just the same old Freeza and Saiyans so I honestly don't see what else they can do with those elements at this point. You'd think with how well BOG did they'd try newer ideas.
This movie better not be some filler rubbish and actually connect to a new series as we could have had a more unique character than a Saiyan with a tail.

This movie just seems like pointless Saiyan lore with 1 fight that is Goku fighting the Saiyan at the end.

I really hope we get a few new characters and we get a few fights in the movie.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 pm

majinwarman wrote: The production is fine to me. I hope it continues to be that way.
The movie's production is more than fine, it's excellent.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:The movie's production is more than fine, it's excellent.
How'd you know that?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Bullza wrote:
sintzu wrote:At least BOG was original and had truly new content. RF and this new movie are just the same old Freeza and Saiyans so I honestly don't see what else they can do with those elements at this point. You'd think with how well BOG did they'd try newer ideas.
Well Battle of God's had original concepts but like the other Universes but that didn't​ add to its story. Resurrection F was a basic revenge story but it was a bit more fleshed out.

I'd hope this new movie has nothing to do with revenge or the usual plot devices like the villain wanting to find a strong challenger or wanting the Dragon Balls for immortality.
Either you got it messed up or you’re that guy I argued with about BoG vs RoF before. Either way, BoG brought way more to the table than RoF. RoF introduced a 2 new forms and thats its.

BoG introduced the concept of 12 universes, a new god to the hierarchy of dragon ball and new antagonist, a new form, and lore about the saiyans.

RoF was WAY more shallow and less impactful to the series as a whole. And it didn’t use Freeza as good as it could have. The T.o.P was a better resurrection of Freeza than the movie itself.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Current Toriyama + New's Saiyan lore just tells me to be prepared to big retcons.
I'm not saying an editor but maybe Toriyama needs someone who’s a super fan of dragon ball to be with him when he’s making the story so they can tell him all the knowledge we know about a specific topic so instead of retconning, he can either add or build upon existing concepts without contradicting previous facts. Maybe Toyotaro could be that super-fan?