Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't think they'll reanimate scenes we've seen before (maybe a little bit) when they cut to the past during the film. I also don't think that it'll be a movie where the main characters travel through time, but time travel might have something to do with the plot. I'm thinking that the scenes during the past will be about Yamoshi, whoever the antagonist is and Freeza's relationship with the Saiyans.

I really do like that they're going for a multilayered story, though. That allows for some visual backstory for when new characters are introduced rather than leaving it all for exposition. I want to see what these characters were up to in their past rather than being told by someone else what they did.

I'm also really happy that we're going to see multiple settings during the film. That was a big problem I had with the last two films. Most of BoG was spent at Capsule Corp and most of 'F' was spent at that boring ass area next to North City.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
There will be no tension until they finally start making new content after EoZ, we all know that.
Just because it's set during a time skip, doesn't mean that it's not capable of creating tension. Creating intense situations all comes down to writing, presentation and direction. You can make your audience feel tension even if they're well aware that the characters will be alright in the end because of already established/future material. A movie that I watched very recently was able to do this.

Neither of us have seen this new DBS movie yet, so we can't be too quick to judge. Hell, we know next to nothing about the plot.
And even with the time-skip to take into consideration, a lot of fans seem to ignore that the cast have three sets of wish granting Macguffins, at their easily obtainable disposal, that can negate any kind of consequence brought upon the cast.
Surprising right?!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Chuquita wrote:Even though it would probably look really nice, I wouldn't want to see reanimated chunks from Z because it'd feel like they'd be wasting precious time and resources when they could be doing new plot and new battle stuff instead. I'm also curious about the rejected proposals for movies though we'll probably never find out what they were.

I give them credit for wanting to do something multilayered and the idea that we're getting multiple new settings makes me hopeful, but unfortunately there's nothing there yet to suggest anything about the plot that makes me excited beyond already knowing that Goku's in it.
I'm interesting to see which parts of the past are they referring to? We don't know if it's Z era or pre-Freeza destroying Planet Vegeta era.
Majinwarman

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:37 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Even though it would probably look really nice, I wouldn't want to see reanimated chunks from Z because it'd feel like they'd be wasting precious time and resources when they could be doing new plot and new battle stuff instead. I'm also curious about the rejected proposals for movies though we'll probably never find out what they were.

I give them credit for wanting to do something multilayered and the idea that we're getting multiple new settings makes me hopeful, but unfortunately there's nothing there yet to suggest anything about the plot that makes me excited beyond already knowing that Goku's in it.
I'm interesting to see which parts of the past are they referring to? We don't know if it's Z era or pre-Freeza destroying Planet Vegeta era.
This is true.

For me there just isn't enough info yet about this movie's plot for me to be able to get all excited and speculating about. When the information is this vague and sparse I end up feeling more wary about the potential for the plot instead. I'm just gonna have to wait.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 pm

According to Iyoku Blooma and the girls will be extra cute this time, thus confirming that this movie can do no wrong.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Chuquita wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

This is true.

For me there just isn't enough info yet about this movie's plot for me to be able to get all excited and speculating about. When the information is this vague and sparse I end up feeling more wary about the potential for the plot instead. I'm just gonna have to wait.
I think it's good to feel wary as well as hyped for something you care about. Because it shows that you want to see great things from it.
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:According to Iyoku Blooma and the girls will be extra cute this time, thus confirming that this movie can do no wrong.
I'm fine with cute women in my shows. The more the better it is.
Majinwarman

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Anyone else think that the "one new planet" that Toriyama designed for the film is Planet Sadala?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:48 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Anyone else think that the "one new planet" that Toriyama designed for the film is Planet Sadala?
Yeah, I'm almost positive it is since if he's going to do only one design for a new world it would be Sadala.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Just read the tweets from Herms and my interest in the movie has begun to rise once again. A multilayered story sounds neat and it seems like the past aspect will have more focus that I thought it would. Really hope that the new planet mentioned ends up being Sadala. While my hopes have risen for the story I won't get them to high just yet as we still don't know very much about it overall. Also this might just be my dumbass misinterpreting what was said but, I hope when it was said that Bulma and the female cast will be extra cute doesn't imply fan service.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:50 pm

What constitutes fanservice varies from person to person, but if they're changing anything about the female cast's looks then I'll hope they finally either give Chi-Chi her EoZ hairstyle or give her bangs back. Her Buu arc hairstyle's my least favorite and I was disappointed she kept it though all of Super (outside of that one scene where it's down and a little past shoulder length. That was cool.).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:40 pm

Yeah, fan service can be anything. There are scenes in Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon not meant to be overtly sexual or triumphant that still wind feeling like fan service simply because they're so lovingly crafted in depicting the characters' feelings and cuteness. I'll take anything I can get so long as it feels positive!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 pm

"the DBS movie will have a "multilayered" story with parts set in both the past and present, and multiple settings"

This is the complete opposite of RF's very direct and simple story which is a great thing. At the very least it doesn't sound like it'll be another generic saiyan story.

"they provided Toriyama with several proposals for a new movie, which while mostly rejected did get him thinking"

I'd love to know what those are so hopefully some get revisited once he's done.

"telling a complete story in 2 hours is possibly easier for Toriyama than doing the story for a long-running TV show"

This makes sense and explains why he seems more involved with it than Super's anime but hopefully that's not a hint at him not returning for the show. :cry:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Anyone else think that the "one new planet" that Toriyama designed for the film is Planet Sadala?
It could be the past setting they talked about.

Another thing I'm interested in is if they'll keep the art style for the show when it comes back.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:56 am

The way he explained how Bulma will look sounds just like how the Yugioh director talked about Anzu. And she did end up having a cuter revamp

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:22 am

'Things sped up once it was decided to make the story about Saiyans.'

What a surprise!

'The DBS movie will have a "multilayered" story with parts set in both the past and present, and multiple settings.'

Does thulis mean there will be things happening at the same time but in different places so essentially the main group gets split up or they just travel to these settings throughout the film?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:'Things sped up once it was decided to make the story about Saiyans.'

What a surprise!

'The DBS movie will have a "multilayered" story with parts set in both the past and present, and multiple settings.'

Does thulis mean there will be things happening at the same time but in different places so essentially the main group gets split up or they just travel to these settings throughout the film?
I think it more suggests there will flashback sequences throughout the film, and how they'll take place in different settings from the present.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:02 am

Any ideas on far along this movie is to being finished. Or rather how far along they are in production? A 2 hour long Dragonball movie centered on saiyans is a gold mine waiting to be mined (if done right).

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 am

From these tidbits of the interview Mr.Toriyama was pretty hands on. I expect the "going into the past part" be about Yamoshi and such, if they seriously remake scenes from Dragon Ball in a bloody two hour or less movie, then I'm ready for Dragon Ball to go back into dormancy because clearly there's no more originality.

Regarding the new planet design, we already got Sadala in the manga. Makes me wonder if that one will be ignored or if that's part of it and was made in collaboration with Toyotarõ...

The fan-service I assume is secondary characters getting some fights like in FnF, if it's not damn if it isn't scary. Not so much on Mr.Toriyama's part but on Toei's idea of fan-service, like Bardock coming back or something awful like that.

What I would give to see the sort of ideas rejected by Mr.Toriyama from Toei, their track record isn't the best.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:30 am

I figure the stuff in the past will be new content that ties in to the current story like in movies 8 and 13. The absolute last thing I want to see is even more rehashed footage from Z.
LightBing wrote:Not so much on Mr.Toriyama's part but on Toei's idea of fan-service, like Bardock coming back or something awful like that.
I won't be surprised if we do see Bardock in the 'past' parts. Maybe Toriyama insisted on adapting Dragon Ball Minus at last. :lol:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 am

It seems highly probable this movie will be longer than the two previous movies. All those flashbacks and different / new material, new character and planet introductions, the old cast returning ...