Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:51 pm

To make this movie perfect for me it needs these 3 things:

1) At least 1/3 of the movie should be flashbacks. It should take its time in explaining the history of saiyans, their power, the antagonist(s)’ history, and their relationship to Freeza.

2) At least the U6 trio. I’d like more new U6 saiyans but i would be contempt with just the U6 trio. Maybe at the time of the movie, they just so happen to be visiting U7 to train with Goku or Vegeta.

3) Freeza. He’s been left alive for a reason. I believe he’ll become more of a Loki type of character (before Loki was redeemed) who always helps when it benefits him but as soon as he sees a way where he can win, he tries to backstab who he was just helping.

I’ll assume that the following V-jumps will keep revealing more designs. Assuming we get another 5 character designs next month, i’d expect designs for Gohan, (maybe) Krillin, Bulma, etc. What i’d hope for is Cabba, Caulifla, Kale, Gohan, and Gotenks or Bulma.

Its a movie about saiyans so i don’t think its wrong to just want a saiyan fest of fighting rather than saiyans vs saiyans and some earthlings.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I like the new designs. But I could really use a bit more info about the plot before I really get intrigued about the movie.
That's the thing. I'm loving everything in terms of visuals, but I'm still almost positive the plot is going to a total shitshow. Hoping they convince me otherwise in the months to come, but I just have so little faith in Toriyama's ability to write anything of worth after seeing Super. Then combine that with the fact that the entire premise seems like the Solo Star Wars film: a story nobody asked for that exists solely for fan service.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by Artorias on Thu May 17, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Similar. I don't feel excited yet because I don't know anything big about the plot.

I love the new character designs, but without a story hook it's hard to feel like theorizing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm

omaro34 wrote: the fact that they are showing piccolo of all people this early shouldn't mean anything. He might get a decent role but I highly highly doubt it. I'm not gonna set myself up again just to be disappointed.
If there are henchmen he will fight. If others don't get character sheets like this then maybe that is a good sign. He will do something even if it is not that big.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Grimlock wrote:Certainly, this movie is about Saiyans. Showing Piccolo now (or much later) means nothing. Even if it weren't about Saiyans, Piccolo will never get his moment to shine outside of that one in Universe 6 saga in Xenoverse 2.
The designs they showed are the expected ones - that is, the ones that typically don't change... ever (especially in the case of Piccolo...). Characters like Gohan, Kuririn and 18 will probably be different.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Whether Toriyama’s script is good or not, I have a lot more faith in the plot thanks to Tatsuya Nagamine being the director. He’ll make changes to the script if he feels it’s necessary.

I really hope we get some kind of story tease soon. I still have no idea what the plot is about other than it revolving around the Saiyans and it’s after the ToP.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Thu May 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Anyone else hoping for a canon ss4 type transformation from the villain? I feel it'll go well with the theme of the movie.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Loving Vegeta's color change in clothing. Toriyama originally wanted to give Vegeta black clothes in the RoF movie (before it was changed to being gray in the anime for whatever reason), so very nice they finally implemented that.

And Shintani was handpicked by Toriyama? No wonder, his designs look as if they were extracted directly from the original manga, which is a definite plus for me :thumbup:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 pm

SirTorra wrote:Anyone else hoping for a canon ss4 type transformation from the villain? I feel it'll go well with the theme of the movie.
Yes. That and maybe the villain’s super saiyan form is super saiyan berserk like Kale.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 am

The new art showing Beerus with the new style looks actually pretty nice to me. He looks so...cute? lol

That and Vegeta not having bright blue anymore is good, that was an eyesore in Super.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:50 am

My hype won't really start until I see a trailer showing off a fight

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri May 18, 2018 8:58 am

Chuquita wrote:Similar. I don't feel excited yet because I don't know anything big about the plot.

I love the new character designs, but without a story hook it's hard to feel like theorizing.
I just want them to just tell give some information on what is the plot. I want the new designs to not be wasted on a bad story.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:06 pm

omaro34 wrote:The fact that they are showing Piccolo of all people this early shouldn't mean anything. He might get a decent role but I highly highly doubt it.
I would dig this trio being the main protagonists of the movie.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
omaro34 wrote:The fact that they are showing Piccolo of all people this early shouldn't mean anything. He might get a decent role but I highly highly doubt it.
I would dig this trio being the main protagonists of the movie.
Piccolo’s only hope of being important is if they tackle the whole Namekian Book of Legends stuff.

On a side note, i hope Beerus and Whis are just there at the beginning but leave later before all the real stuff goes down because just the presence of Beerus and Whis automatically lower tension.

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Fri May 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Nafno wrote:Those links only say that the arcs are based in the movies, which they obviously were.
And the fact that the retellings don't have Toriyama's finger other than the Namekuseijin book. Filler characters like Gregory appear, when he didn't back in Movie 14. Since there is no official source that says that I must consider the retellings "because the replaced the movies", one can pretty much stick with the movies just fine.
Gregory was created by Toriyama. You don't know that Namekuseijin book was the only Toriyama's addition. What you do know is that the retelling were his idea, and that the sagas after Fukkatsu no F saga do not fit if we, instead of going throught the TTV show, watch only the movies and then jump to the U6 tournament.

And the movie is placed after the Tournament of Power, so the only think that continuity-wise makes sense is going through the TV show, not the movies. So no Tarble (Then again, he may appear and own me hard XD).

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Artorias wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I like the new designs. But I could really use a bit more info about the plot before I really get intrigued about the movie.
That's the thing. I'm loving everything in terms of visuals, but I'm still almost positive the plot is going to a total shitshow. Hoping they convince me otherwise in the months to come, but I just have so little faith in Toriyama's ability to write anything of worth after seeing Super. Then combine that with the fact that the entire premise seems like the Solo Star Wars film: a story nobody asked for that exists solely for fan service.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
You're still going to watch it, aren't you?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri May 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.

He probably has his ticket booked to Japan in December.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
No one asked for a lot of Dragonball or Star Wars stories.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri May 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.

He probably has his ticket booked to Japan in December.
Though I understand his worry that the movie may not have a great story, I don't think he should trash on the movie before it even comes out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri May 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Grimlock wrote:Beerus and Whis will be in this movie, hopefully they don't appear that much. And when the hell is Piccolo going to get a new outfit?

Why can’t they change up the uniforms again? I don’t care how iconic it is, a little change never hurt anyone. Even Luffy changed his clothes after awhile. There was nothing wrong with their wardrobe change in the Frieza arc.
How i predict the tournament will end: