Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Doesn’t 20th Century Fox still own the distribution rights for Dragon Ball in the U.S? Does that mean this movie will be distributed by Disney when it’s released over here?

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
majinwarman wrote: We shall see.

Of course we shall see. But the only scenario i see at this point they will be incorporated as a savior because Goku, Vegeta and maybe Piccolo can't make it on their own. That's a weak scenario. Nope, i rather see those guys fight their own battle. If there are saviors or other Saiyan warriors, i rather see some new Saiyans involving the past of U7 take that role. That would make a lot more sense within the context of this movie, which is obviously about U7 and its history.
That's what I don't like. U7 doesn't needs it's history told or retold. I don't why Toriyama is like he hasn't properly depicted the Freeza/Saiyan relationship, for decades it's been fine as is. I just don't like the idea of Toriyama exploring the past of U7.

I want to leave the theatre feeling that this movie needed to be told.
I think that there still more information to be told. I'm going to go in with a open mind and hope for the best.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Call me a pessimist but I can't help but wonder how Toei and Funimation are going to mess this up. Since they're aiming to release it worldwide simultaneously I get the feeling the screenings will be dub-only and through blu-ray quality Fathom events presentations like One Piece Gold and Resurrection F. I'm also afraid that the North American blu-ray won't have an option to turn off the subtitles. None of this would cross my mind if it all hadn't happened before.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Gligarman wrote:Call me a pessimist but I can't help but wonder how Toei and Funimation are going to mess this up. Since they're aiming to release it worldwide simultaneously I get the feeling the screenings will be dub-only and through blu-ray quality Fathom events presentations like One Piece Gold and Resurrection F. I'm also afraid that the North American blu-ray won't have an option to turn off the subtitles. None of this would cross my mind if it all hadn't happened before.
Wait, is it possible that Funimation is already in the process of dubbing this movie now as we speak?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 am

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:13 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:A new scan and some more info.
Those coats look even cooler zipped up! And Goku has winter gloves! Now I want a Goku vs Vegeta snowball fight. :mrgreen:

So it's not a 59. It's SAB. Good ol SAB, whoever they are.
I support the above linked "Son and Brief" abbreviation theory myself.

It could also be for a paid leave, a sabbatical if you will.
Chris SABat may get a kick out of those letters being on the coats.

I'm done for now. I need sleep. I'm happy I got to see this before I went to go try to pass out though. Goodnight!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:21 am

Chuquita wrote:Those coats look even cooler zipped up! And Goku has winter gloves! Now I want a Goku vs Vegeta snowball fight. :mrgreen:
I was actually thinking the exact same thing recently. Crossing my fingers that it actually happens.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 am

Won't lie, don't much like those coats. It looks kinda silly (which might be the point) and don't match the rest of their clothes at all. :/

Wonder it that "SAB" really means something.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 am

Michsi wrote:Won't lie, don't much like those coats. It looks kinda silly (which might be the point) and don't match the rest of their clothes at all. :/

They're probably going to get rid of them as soon as the fight starts, so no big deal
Get Fucked, C_unt

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 am

I love the new coats, I hope from now on we will see more outfits for the various characters, as we saw in DBZ.
I got tired of seeing everyone always wearing the same clothes in anime Super, while Toyotaro at least got creative and gave characters various outfits.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:30 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Those coats look even cooler zipped up! And Goku has winter gloves! Now I want a Goku vs Vegeta snowball fight. :mrgreen:
I was actually thinking the exact same thing recently. Crossing my fingers that it actually happens.

They could let them even turn Blue, like in the baseball match.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:14 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Michsi wrote:Won't lie, don't much like those coats. It looks kinda silly (which might be the point) and don't match the rest of their clothes at all. :/

They're probably going to get rid of them as soon as the fight starts, so no big deal
Probably, as I can't seem them fighting in it. Unless that's the joke, that they have to start fighting and the clothes get their way, but they're too cold to take them off.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am

Anyone heard the theory that Chelye and Lemo could be Tsufurians/Tuffles? I watched Geekdom101's breakdown and it sounds like a possibility. They don't really look like typical Freeza henchmen and them being Tsufurian would explain their weapons and scouters. If this is true, I wonder how the Saiyan antagonist of the film will tie into it all. Maybe they're his comrades. Maybe he was an ancient Saiyan with a good heart who sympathised with the Tsufurians. I need some info on this guy already.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Anyone heard the theory that Chelye and Lemo could be Tsufurians/Tuffles? I watched Geekdom101's breakdown and it sounds like a possibility. They don't really look like typical Freeza henchmen and them being Tsufurian would explain their weapons and scouters. If this is true, I wonder how the Saiyan antagonist of the film will tie into it all. Maybe they're his comrades. Maybe he was an ancient Saiyan with a good heart who sympathised with the Tsufurians. I need some info on this guy already.
Yeah, but why would the Tsufurians then wear Freeza's armour? The fruit based names might hint at them being Tsufurians, but keep in mind Dodoria and Zarbon also had fruit based names. Also, from their design Chirai and Lemo don't seem to be from the same race.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am

Michsi wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Anyone heard the theory that Chelye and Lemo could be Tsufurians/Tuffles? I watched Geekdom101's breakdown and it sounds like a possibility. They don't really look like typical Freeza henchmen and them being Tsufurian would explain their weapons and scouters. If this is true, I wonder how the Saiyan antagonist of the film will tie into it all. Maybe they're his comrades. Maybe he was an ancient Saiyan with a good heart who sympathised with the Tsufurians. I need some info on this guy already.
Yeah, but why would the Tsufurians then wear Freeza's armour? The fruit based names might hint at them being Tsufurians, but keep in mind Dodoria and Zarbon also had fruit based names. Also, from their design Chirai and Lemo don't seem to be from the same race.
Yeah, that was what made me question the theory. Maybe the Tsufurians had more than one race among them?

I'm starting to think that the Saiyan antagonist is related to these new characters since his clothes have a similar colour scheme to Lemo and Chelye. He wears black, green and purple in the teaser trailer. Of course, this could be complete coincidence. But I do think it's worth pointing out.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:53 am

This new style is perfect to counter the ageing cast, Goku looks so young..
As for those coats, they are just fine, as long as it's getting ditched in a cool way when the fight starts, I am game..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am

When it comes to the age thing, I'm of two minds: one one hand I like that they stay young-looking so long, but on the other hand, even at the end of DB, Vegeta and Goku did look a lot more mature. Thicker body type, laugh lines when grinning. They may not have looked like men in their 50's, but neither did they look quite so youthful as they do in the new style. Curious to see what they'll do with Krilling as he was pretty grandpa-ish in EOB.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Yeah, that was what made me question the theory. Maybe the Tsufurians had more than one race among them?

I'm starting to think that the Saiyan antagonist is related to these new characters since his clothes have a similar colour scheme to Lemo and Chelye. He wears black, green and purple in the teaser trailer. Of course, this could be complete coincidence. But I do think it's worth pointing out.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Interesting, I didn't notice the purple. We say ancient saiyan because of the lore we got before the movie's announcement, but there is nothing to suggest the mystery saiyan is that old. He could quite easily from Vegeta's era that was kept asleep because *insert random theory here* - basically anything is possible at this point. It's fun to speculate as long as you don't tie any expectations to these fan theories.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 am

Michsi wrote:When it comes to the age thing, I'm of two minds: one one hand I like that they stay young-looking so long, but on the other hand, even at the end of DB, Vegeta and Goku did look a lot more mature. Thicker body type, laugh lines when grinning. They may not have looked like men in their 50's, but neither did they look quite so youthful as they do in the new style. Curious to see what they'll do with Krilling as he was pretty grandpa-ish in EOB.
I think Vegeta's age by EOZ is perfectly reflected in the current designs. There is nothing really boyish about how he looks, and his drawn with the same kind of edge as EOZ Vegeta was.

I think Goku is also fine, yes his older by Z, but his still perfectly young and jovial, and I think that's something the new designs actually reflect perfectly about the character.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Michsi wrote:When it comes to the age thing, I'm of two minds: one one hand I like that they stay young-looking so long, but on the other hand, even at the end of DB, Vegeta and Goku did look a lot more mature. Thicker body type, laugh lines when grinning. They may not have looked like men in their 50's, but neither did they look quite so youthful as they do in the new style. Curious to see what they'll do with Krilling as he was pretty grandpa-ish in EOB.
I think Vegeta's age by EOZ is perfectly reflected in the current designs. There is nothing really boyish about how he looks, and his drawn with the same kind of edge as EOZ Vegeta was.

I think Goku is also fine, yes his older by Z, but his still perfectly young and jovial, and I think that's something the new designs actually reflect perfectly about the character.
I do think Vegeta looks a lot younger than he does in EOB. Larger eyes+ higher placed nose + thinner frame inevitably does that. His deep scowl is what makes him look older.

I don't mind that they look so young though. I like the designs.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 am

I wonder if the Saiyan in the trailer is actually Lemo? We don't really see a close-up of his face and Lemo's head is mostly covered by his cap. Maybe Lemo is a really old Saiyan or a hybrid?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf