Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:09 am

Michsi wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
The new studio policies are forcing staff to take vacations and not work from home, though, even at the expense of quality, so I do worry about that.
I've read something about that. Technically, I am all for practices that are meant to keep employees from overworking but they need to be implemented in such a way that doesn't lead to more stress. A two week vacation won't do much for your health if that results in more work for several months to come.

Either way, I'm happy that things are looking up for the studio and hope the upward trend continues. I got a feeling Super had a lot to do with that as international interest shined a limelight on the studio's problems. Maybe.
Thats the problem, they don't get more time.

They're basically staff to take vacations and then come back to do the same amount of work they would usually do, but in a smaller time frame.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am

theTUN wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:So does anyone think the new chgaracters we got that have the guns and scouters (Lemo and Chirai) are Tuffles? I just assumed the most obvious idea that they were Freeza’s soldiers but now i wonder. But Lemo doesn’t look like the race of a Tuffle and Chirai (while sharing more resemblance) has green skin and Tuffles aren’t green.

Do you think we’ll see Tuffles at all? Whether it be in flashbacks or in the present?
They almost certainly aren't, why do you think they are?
I dont but apparently others think so.
Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:So does anyone think the new chgaracters we got that have the guns and scouters (Lemo and Chirai) are Tuffles? I just assumed the most obvious idea that they were Freeza’s soldiers but now i wonder. But Lemo doesn’t look like the race of a Tuffle and Chirai (while sharing more resemblance) has green skin and Tuffles aren’t green.

Do you think we’ll see Tuffles at all? Whether it be in flashbacks or in the present?
Tuffles aren't canon. They were never shown or mentioned in the original manga.
First off, there is no real canon. Second, you probably consider everything Toriyama has written canon. The story of the Tuffles was written by Toriyama himself and given to the anime staff to make the episode we all know. So going by the “canon” rules, the Tuffles and their story are canon but, again, we should really stop using that word.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
theTUN wrote:

They almost certainly aren't, why do you think they are?
Bergamo wrote:

Tuffles aren't canon. They were never shown or mentioned in the original manga.
First off, there is no real canon. Second, you probably consider everything Toriyama has written canon. The story of the Tuffles was written by Toriyama himself and given to the anime staff to make the episode we all know. So going by the “canon” rules, the Tuffles and their story are canon but, again, we should really stop using that word.
Nope dude your just making stuff up.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am

Regarding the girls:

I want Bulma to have a re-design, I love her RF look but it over-stayed in DBS. I know short haired Bulma has been a thing for a while but I want her to grow her hair out. Chichi is in desperate need of a re-design out of the girls, even if it is just letting her have her out would be an improvement that bun look is so outdated.

Videl... pig tails obviously but doubt that will happen! #18 not really fussed since she did have a new outfit for the U.S arc. The Saiyan girls if they appear fine as was.

Regarding the kids:

Now is the perfect opportunity to start growing them up, with a new character designer and all. Unless this movie takes place immediately after the ToP there is no reason not too, at the very least have Goten and Trunks like how Gohan was in the Cell games.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am

Toxin45 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
theTUN wrote: They almost certainly aren't, why do you think they are?
Bergamo wrote: Tuffles aren't canon. They were never shown or mentioned in the original manga.
Eh...he isn't. Please inform yourself, we even got a new Tuffle in the Super anime, lol. Can't remember if it was the moustache dude from U2 or his comrade but there was a tuffle there. You can even check Herms' twitter since I think he was the one who translated the scan which the infor first appeared. And it's indeed true that the Tuffle storyline from the anime came from Toriyama, but even then I'm not sure about they appearing in the film at all given Toriyama's love for retconing things. Then again both him and Toyotaro like to use "non-canon"/filler ideas to reuse then. The SSG ritual is pretty much a pale copy of a similar thing in Toyble's AF, and U3's Hakaishin is obviously based on a character from GT.

So you are the one making stuff up, specially since there is not real canon in the franchise. Otherwise most of Super would not even be canon since it's done by Toei and Toyotaro.
Last edited by MisteryOne on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Regarding the girls:

I want Bulma to have a re-design, I love her RF look but it over-stayed in DBS. I know short haired Bulma has been a thing for a while but I want her to grow her hair out. Chichi is in desperate need of a re-design out of the girls, even if it is just letting her have her out would be an improvement that bun look is so outdated.

Videl... pig tails obviously but doubt that will happen! #18 not really fussed since she did have a new outfit for the U.S arc. The Saiyan girls if they appear fine as was.

Regarding the kids:

Now is the perfect opportunity to start growing them up, with a new character designer and all. Unless this movie takes place immediately after the ToP there is no reason not too, at the very least have Goten and Trunks like how Gohan was in the Cell games.
I agree 100% but I'm not holding my breath. RoF was the golden chance to have the kids grown up and see what hapoened... they only seem taller in the manga where they barely appear, and in the anime Goten got smaller. Unless Toriyama himself makes new designs for them I don't think they will bother. I would love to be proven wrong tho.

On a random unrelated note, your profile picture makes me wonder how SSG would look on this style. We probably won't see it on the film but I'm curious.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:48 am

MisteryOne wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I dont but apparently others think so.

Eh...he isn't. Please inform yourself, we even got a new Tuffle in the Super anime, lol. Can't remember if it was the moustache dude from U2 or his comrade but there was a tuffle there. You can even check Herms' twitter since I think he was the one who translated the scan which the infor first appeared. And it's indeed true that the Tuffle storyline from the anime came from Toriyama, but even then I'm not sure about they appearing in the film at all given Toriyama's love for retconing things. Then again both him and Toyotaro like to use "non-canon"/filler ideas to reuse then. The SSG ritual is pretty much a pale copy of a similar thing in Toyble's AF, and U3's Hakaishin is obviously based on a character from GT.

So you are the one making stuff up, specially since there is not real canon in the franchise. Otherwise most of Super would not even be canon since it's done by Toei and Toyotaro.
Nah that is your thoughts on this. Super exists because of toriyama did your forget that toriyama writes the plotline for super?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:56 am

MisteryOne wrote:

Regarding the kids:

I agree 100% but I'm not holding my breath. RoF was the golden chance to have the kids grown up and see what hapoened... they only seem taller in the manga where they barely appear, and in the anime Goten got smaller. Unless Toriyama himself makes new designs for them I don't think they will bother. I would love to be proven wrong tho.

On a random unrelated note, your profile picture makes me wonder how SSG would look on this style. We probably won't see it on the film but I'm curious.
I was hoping Goku would go like this in the film, Base->SSG->SSGSS (-> UI), I want the old forms to be redundant now but hopefully he at least goes SSG once, I am sure he'll show off all the forms to the villain Saiyan. SSG in aura is when I don't like the form so if it does appear hopefully they fix that, basically not a fan of the darker red.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:07 am

Michsi wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
The new studio policies are forcing staff to take vacations and not work from home, though, even at the expense of quality, so I do worry about that.
I've read something about that. Technically, I am all for practices that are meant to keep employees from overworking but they need to be implemented in such a way that doesn't lead to more stress. A two week vacation won't do much for your health if that results in more work for several months to come.

Either way, I'm happy that things are looking up for the studio and hope the upward trend continues. I got a feeling Super had a lot to do with that as international interest shined a limelight on the studio's problems. Maybe.
I hate my job, so of course I try to take as much time off as possible, but when you actually like your job and take that much pride in doing it well I think it's a pretty horrible thing to not even let people take their work home. It wouldn't hurt so much if those vacations and studio closures would actually be paid for with delays in the release...but they're not. It literally does nothing but lower the amount of time the production team has before release.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am

Toxin45 wrote:
MisteryOne wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: Nope dude your just making stuff up.

Nah that is your thoughts on this. Super exists because of toriyama did your forget that toriyama writes the plotline for super?
No, they are not my thoughts, it has been stated by Toriyama himself, lol. (The tuffle stuff I mean) Did you ever read my comment? Plotline has nothing to do with the finished product when you change it. Are you aware that the original version of the FT arc didn't even have Vegetto? Does that mean that his appareance is not canon? lol And the Gendikama sword is totally different from the thing Trunks does in the manga. Which one is canon? Storyboards of the anime=/= plotlines of Super. And what does "Super exists cause Toriyama" even mean? GT also existed cause he agreed for Toei to keep the story going after his work and he even designed characters, and even agreed to Goku ecoming a child again being a good idea. Does that suddenly mean GT is canon too?

But please keep this going, it's always fun to see someone who just keeps looking worse after each comment. I really need a one-sided debate and your points are just denials :wink:

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:56 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
MisteryOne wrote:

Regarding the kids:

I was hoping Goku would go like this in the film, Base->SSG->SSGSS (-> UI), I want the old forms to be redundant now but hopefully he at least goes SSG once, I am sure he'll show off all the forms to the villain Saiyan. SSG in aura is when I don't like the form so if it does appear hopefully they fix that, basically not a fan of the darker red.
I definetly agree, honestly with Blue existing the yellow forms are redundant imho, but seeing the Champa arc and that the designs for this own movie already show yellow normal SS I think it can't be helped. I suppose it depends if there is more than one villain or we will have Goku and Vegeta taking turns against the enemy again (please no again, Toriyama...) just like in RoF and like the original fight with Merged Zamasu would have gone is he was as weak as Toriyana intended.

I love SSG and personally the best tone for his hair colour is the aura-less one as you say. He looked awesome in 114, it's a shame we didn't get to see him shirtless. I would love if the entire auras got reworked for this movie anyways since the anime version of Blue's aura looked awful to me, while the problem with the yellow forms was something more of the yellow being odd if that makes sense.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:27 am

MisteryOne wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
MisteryOne wrote: Eh...he isn't. Please inform yourself, we even got a new Tuffle in the Super anime, lol. Can't remember if it was the moustache dude from U2 or his comrade but there was a tuffle there. You can even check Herms' twitter since I think he was the one who translated the scan which the infor first appeared. And it's indeed true that the Tuffle storyline from the anime came from Toriyama, but even then I'm not sure about they appearing in the film at all given Toriyama's love for retconing things. Then again both him and Toyotaro like to use "non-canon"/filler ideas to reuse then. The SSG ritual is pretty much a pale copy of a similar thing in Toyble's AF, and U3's Hakaishin is obviously based on a character from GT.

No, they are not my thoughts, it has been stated by Toriyama himself, lol. (The tuffle stuff I mean) Did you ever read my comment? Plotline has nothing to do with the finished product when you change it. Are you aware that the original version of the FT arc didn't even have Vegetto? Does that mean that his appareance is not canon? lol And the Gendikama sword is totally different from the thing Trunks does in the manga. Which one is canon? Storyboards of the anime=/= plotlines of Super. And what does "Super exists cause Toriyama" even mean? GT also existed cause he agreed for Toei to keep the story going after his work and he even designed characters, and even agreed to Goku ecoming a child again being a good idea. Does that suddenly mean GT is canon too?

But please keep this going, it's always fun to see someone who just keeps looking worse after each comment. I really need a one-sided debate and your points are just denials :wink:
The tuffles did appear in super with one member of universe 2 being a tuffle but vegeta didn't even know. Vegettio did appear in the super manga anyway. Also gt got ref one's thanks to super.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:58 am

But Vegeta saw a Tuffle before?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:05 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:But Vegeta saw a Tuffle before?
We don't know how things played out in Toriyama's eyes. This is actually and exactly one of the things I'm expecting Movie 1 to cover: to depict the Saiyans and Tsufurujins concept. I want to see what exactly happened between both races, what led them to war, I want to see more of King Vegeta and in action, I want to know if Bardock (and his team/Gine) participated in the war.

The real/type of lore, story and content to care about.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:05 pm

JazzMazz wrote: Thats the problem, they don't get more time.

They're basically staff to take vacations and then come back to do the same amount of work they would usually do, but in a smaller time frame.

Or they dump their share of work on the remaining staff and split it evenly? That's how it's supposed to work anyway when production can't be put on hold.

JulieYBM wrote: I hate my job, so of course I try to take as much time off as possible, but when you actually like your job and take that much pride in doing it well I think it's a pretty horrible thing to not even let people take their work home. It wouldn't hurt so much if those vacations and studio closures would actually be paid for with delays in the release...but they're not. It literally does nothing but lower the amount of time the production team has before release.
Whether you like your job or not, working under constant pressure and having so much to do that it cuts into your personal time will inevitably lead to burnout. So yeah, the initiative is good, it just needs to be implemented effectively and I think this all comes down to planning.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:04 pm

Michsi wrote:

Or they dump their share of work on the remaining staff and split it evenly? That's how it's supposed to work anyway when production can't be put on hold.

JulieYBM wrote: I hate my job, so of course I try to take as much time off as possible, but when you actually like your job and take that much pride in doing it well I think it's a pretty horrible thing to not even let people take their work home. It wouldn't hurt so much if those vacations and studio closures would actually be paid for with delays in the release...but they're not. It literally does nothing but lower the amount of time the production team has before release.
Whether you like your job or not, working under constant pressure and having so much to do that it cuts into your personal time will inevitably lead to burnout. So yeah, the initiative is good, it just needs to be implemented effectively and I think this all comes down to planning.
It's not possible to dump animation work on others because the qualitu and rhythm would differ. This is an industry where the individuality truly matters.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:30 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
RedHeat wrote: No, because those people are the vocal minority when it comes to the opinions of DBS.
Should I make a poll on people's expectations for the film before a trailer comes out or after?
Both. And then compare the results and make a post about it. I’d be really interested to see it.
I'll think about it before I make a decision.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:38 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:They've started prepping early for global release (as further evidenced by the south American releases in Jan) that's a very relieving thing to read, for once they look to be on top of things! But unfortunately the UK is stuck with Toei Europe while everyone will probably get it early 2019 we'll probably have to wait until the spring. /:
Early 2019 would be better than what we got before but that's still late when you take into account that spoilers will spread the minute it opens in Japan. Then you've got all the merchandise they'll announce soon after which will most likely include major spoilers.
But, that is a risk all movies have when it comes to spoilers.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Michsi wrote:

It's not possible to dump animation work on others because the qualitu and rhythm would differ. This is an industry where the individuality truly matters.
Then they could hire freelancers to take over for those that are on vacation so as to not disrupt the others. We've had non-regulars on the staff of Super before, haven't we. I get that it's difficult, but there is no such thing as a problem without a solution.
Making sure your staff is rested through forced vacation might not be the best now, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Completely forgot that San Diego Comic Con is happening next month. Thanks to Ajay for pointing it out in his video that the con is happening from the 19th to the 22nd of July. Toei will be there and they're most likely going to show off some stuff from the movie. It's most likely going to be a trailer like how I speculated a few pages back. Pre-release tickets go on sale on the 20th of July, as we saw with Resurrection 'F' that usually means a trailer drops and the official website gets a big update. The DB North American Tour will be on at this time. V Jump comes out around this time (they'll probably reveal the poster). San Diego Comic Con is happening around this time. I'm 90% certain that there's going to be a trailer dropping on the 20th of July.