Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Wasn’t it officially stated somewhere that Zarbuto is in fact a Tuffle?
Yeah.
I only remember saying that there's a Tuffle in the team, doesn't say who. Could even be Brianne.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:30 pm

This is a bit of an irrelevant question here, but now that the Disney/Fox deal has officially been approved, does that mean we can expect to see the Walt Disney logo attached to the U.S. release of this film?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: And who said the Tuffle was designed by Toei? Toyotaro and Toriyama did all the designs for the T.o.P fighters. Don’t pull false stuff out of the hat to try and make a point.
Toriyama and Toyotaro designed the Gods of Destruction while Toei and Toriyama designed the fighters. This was stated in interviews.
LINK ME THE INTERVIEW.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... vival-arc/
Anime producer takami:"it’s rare for so many characters to debut all at once. It was a challenge to create all their designs and backstory."
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:53 am

WittyUsername wrote:This is a bit of an irrelevant question here, but now that the Disney/Fox deal has officially been approved, does that mean we can expect to see the Walt Disney logo attached to the U.S. release of this film?
Someone at Disney also said the deal my not be final till mid 2019 at the earliest.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:52 am

WittyUsername wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Yeah.
Then if Toei were the ones who designed him, I have no idea why they would decide to make him orange. Then again, even Earth in the Dragon Ball universe has (or used to have) talking animals and other unusual looking individuals.
Is the dog still president? When was the last time we saw him?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:24 am

Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Toriyama and Toyotaro designed the Gods of Destruction while Toei and Toriyama designed the fighters. This was stated in interviews.
LINK ME THE INTERVIEW.
Anime producer takami:"it’s rare for so many characters to debut all at once. It was a challenge to create all their designs and backstory."
Then, that just brings us back to who designed the Tuffle. But even if we assumed Toei made the character, DBS with all of Toriyama’s and Toei’s Content still count as an offical sequoia the continuity of the original db manga. And that means U2’s team had a Tuffle and and Yardrat. You can’t really assume he’s just a random alien of a random race in another medium just because you want to. And there isn’t even anything that would even suggest the Tuffle or Yardrat would be a random alien from a random alien race so at that point, you would just be making stuff up to benefit your own thoughts.

Sandubadear wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Yeah.
I only remember saying that there's a Tuffle in the team, doesn't say who. Could even be Brianne.
No. They said Zarbuto.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:40 am

Bergamo wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Does it really matter if the whole Tuffle story is canon or not?

This fandom's over obbessession with whats "canon" and what's not and everything "non-canon" = shit needs to stop.
Personally, I haven't watched GT or the DBZ anime(why watch the anime and read the manga), so as a result I don't really know what a Tuffle is. I think it would be dumb if a large part of the new movie centered around a race that I don't know about because I haven't watched all of the filler episodes and seen all of the Toriyama interviews.
That’s not Toeis problem. Whether you watched it or not isn’t going to stop them from potentially keeping out a bit of lore just because you don’t watch the anime

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Good news it's not a pure Toriyama script! Or rather not purely all his ideas at least.

[spoiler]
When was the scenario finished?
I think it was around May of last year. The scenario we received at first, Toriyama-sensei himself said, “I think it might be a bit short…?”… And so from there we added several plot points. And then it ended up being unexpectedly long. (laughs) Now, we’re at the point where Toei Animation is expertly pulling it all together. (laughs)
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/[/spoiler]

Very interesting interview by the way.
Oh that's perfect! At least we can expect more than just fighting and a feel gags dropped in.
FortuneSSJ wrote:Why do I look to that and feels like this movie will be ROF 2?

I don't like how they are showing Freeza soldiers in there, because it just gives me ROF vibes. Maybe they just wanted to show some new characters, but unless they have interesting new characters to show like the evil Saiyan, the bottom three should have been Piccolo, Beerus and Whis designs.
It seems Toriyama has some kind of fetish with Freeza and his army ever since that 2008 Jump Special, he always willing to introduce mooks to be easily wasted by the heroes or most likely their boss, but jokes aside I really hope this is not a RoF 2.

But I can see some things going out the same:

- This story will not end in a cliffhanger, RoF had the opportunity but didn't do it.

- If we get an anime next year, the story of this movie likely will be retold in there.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:18 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Good news it's not a pure Toriyama script! Or rather not purely all his ideas at least.

[spoiler]
When was the scenario finished?
I think it was around May of last year. The scenario we received at first, Toriyama-sensei himself said, “I think it might be a bit short…?”… And so from there we added several plot points. And then it ended up being unexpectedly long. (laughs) Now, we’re at the point where Toei Animation is expertly pulling it all together. (laughs)
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/[/spoiler]

Very interesting interview by the way.
Oh that's perfect! At least we can expect more than just fighting and a feel gags dropped in.
It will probably just be a few extra fights to fill the movie.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:23 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:It will probably just be a few extra fights to fill the movie.
The worst thing is that you may be correct. But hopefully it's not the case, there are a lot of plot points to be added in a movie about Saiyans.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:28 am

That's a big relief to hear they decided to pad using plot instead of just more fights.

Gives me some encouragement that this won't just be a prettier looking RoF.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:No. They said Zarbuto.
Where? The V-Jump scan didn't mention names.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Yeah, I'm stumped. It seems like its sort of like a Mandela effect where everyone (or most people) remember something confirming Zarbuto as the tuffle but in reality, nothing confirmed that Zarbuto was a Tuffle (unless I’ve missed something).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:48 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
Yeah, I'm stumped. It seems like its sort of like a Mandela effect where everyone (or most people) remember something confirming Zarbuto as the tuffle but in reality, nothing confirmed that Zarbuto was a Tuffle (unless I’ve missed something).
I think it was in the character profiles, either from Toei's site or in one of the magazines. I'm prerry sure Herms translated it at some point. There was a lot of buzz surrounding this reveal at the time, because people were wondering why U2 had two members of two races that were native to U7/U6.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Toei's website doesn't mention Zarbuto's race. I remember that one of the magazine scans said that Universe 2's team had a Tuffle but it didn't indicate which one it was.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:18 pm

Incredibles 2 is a little over 2hrs long, no reason this film shouldn't be I remember back in BoG they were concerned that kids won't last that long in theatres... I just don't want anymore of this kids BS. DBS merchandise is aimed at 15 years olds! The are not kids meanwhile DBH merch is aimed for 6 years olds! They are kids. So I don't want any of the "writing a fun simple story for kids" crap, if they're not aiming the merchandise at kids then stop aiming the story at kids. No blood etc fair enough they can't control that but the story they can. I doubt a parent or guardian is not gonna take their kid to the film because it is over 2hrs or kids will be bored because there isn't a poop joke in there somewhere.

(I swear to god if there is a poop joke in this film...)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Incredibles 2 is a little over 2hrs long, no reason this film shouldn't be I remember back in BoG they were concerned that kids won't last that long in theatres... I just don't want anymore of this kids BS. DBS merchandise is aimed at 15 years olds! The are not kids meanwhile DBH merch is aimed for 6 years olds! They are kids. So I don't want any of the "writing a fun simple story for kids" crap, if they're not aiming the merchandise at kids then stop aiming the story at kids. No blood etc fair enough they can't control that but the story they can. I doubt a parent or guardian is not gonna take their kid to the film because it is over 2hrs or kids will be bored because there isn't a poop joke in there somewhere.

The Incredibles 2 is A) made with more staff over a longer period of time and B) made with less talented staff who aren't used to having to maximize every moment of screen time. This movie could easily be good at only the length of four or five standard episodes if overseen by strong staff. Hosoda Mamoru and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu's Digimon films are absolute masterpieces despite only being 20, 40, and 60 minutes each. The shorter the film the higher the quality will be.

Why are you so insecure over this children's franchise appealing to what you think is meant specifically to appeal to kids, rather than also the staff making it?

Fuck, we'd be lucky to get some poop jokes in there. Pooping is good.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: LINK ME THE INTERVIEW.
Then, that just brings us back to who designed the Tuffle. But even if we assumed Toei made the character, DBS with all of Toriyama’s and Toei’s Content still count as an offical sequoia the continuity of the original db manga. And that means U2’s team had a Tuffle and and Yardrat. You can’t really assume he’s just a random alien of a random race in another medium just because you want to. And there isn’t even anything that would even suggest the Tuffle or Yardrat would be a random alien from a random alien race so at that point, you would just be making stuff up to benefit your own thoughts.

Sandubadear wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Yeah.
No. They said Zarbuto.
The fact that it's not stated that this guy is a Tuffle and the fact that Tuffles were never mentioned in the manga which the dbs manga is a continuation of makes it pretty reasonable to assume that he is a random alien race like everyone else. I don't know why I'd assume something based off a promo poster for an anime that exists in a different continuity. If Tuffles were mentioned in the anime then they exist in the anime. If they weren't mentioned in the manga then they don't exist in the manga.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... vival-arc/

Sandubadear wrote: I only remember saying that there's a Tuffle in the team, doesn't say who. Could even be Brianne.
No. They said Zarbuto.
The fact that it's not stated that this guy is a Tuffle and the fact that Tuffles were never mentioned in the manga which the dbs manga is a continuation of makes it pretty reasonable to assume that he is a random alien race like everyone else. I don't know why I'd assume something based off a promo poster for an anime that exists in a different continuity. If Tuffles were mentioned in the anime then they exist in the anime. If they weren't mentioned in the manga then they don't exist in the manga.
Well turns out everyone assumed Zarbuto was the Tuffle but in reality, nothing ever confirmed that he was the Tuffle. That said, there is still a Tuffle in universe 2 and Jimeze was still confirmed to be a Yardrat.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Incredibles 2 is a little over 2hrs long, no reason this film shouldn't be I remember back in BoG they were concerned that kids won't last that long in theatres... I just don't want anymore of this kids BS. DBS merchandise is aimed at 15 years olds! The are not kids meanwhile DBH merch is aimed for 6 years olds! They are kids. So I don't want any of the "writing a fun simple story for kids" crap, if they're not aiming the merchandise at kids then stop aiming the story at kids. No blood etc fair enough they can't control that but the story they can. I doubt a parent or guardian is not gonna take their kid to the film because it is over 2hrs or kids will be bored because there isn't a poop joke in there somewhere.

The Incredibles 2 is A) made with more staff over a longer period of time and B) made with less talented staff who aren't used to having to maximize every moment of screen time. This movie could easily be good at only the length of four or five standard episodes if overseen by strong staff. Hosoda Mamoru and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu's Digimon films are absolute masterpieces despite only being 20, 40, and 60 minutes each. The shorter the film the higher the quality will be.

Why are you so insecure over this children's franchise appealing to what you think is meant specifically to appeal to kids, rather than also the staff making it?

Fuck, we'd be lucky to get some poop jokes in there. Pooping is good.
Please no.

I think what most people want is a 2 hour long Plot heavy story with beautiful action. Poop jokes aren’t really that funny if you ask me personally. Heck, in the west at least, poop and fart jokes are one of the most hated types of jokes in modern day cartoons.