Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 pm

MetaMoss wrote:Man, the salt is real over here. I'm pretty excited, because we're gonna get "Toriyama does a Broly reboot", and I think that will be at least decent. I've always enjoyed the idea of Broly, but the problem is he ends up being executed as a Super Saiyan Hulk with even less personality. I'm really curious to see how Toriyama makes him work.
It is going to take one hell of a "reboot" for this to be an interesting character.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Freeza is the Most over used villain when it comes to material released by Toei and Toriyama. Broly is only spammed in Video games.

Because of Freeza we Got

1.Coola
2.King Cold
3.Kuriza
4.Chilled (Not Toriyama's idea but still)
5.Frost
6.Cameo in Movie 12
7.Appeared in GT
8.Blasted past every villain that dwarfed him in Ressurection Freeza
9.Bardock Special
10. Returns in Tournament of Power and is brought back to life AGAIN!

Because of Broly we got

1. Movie 8 (Non Canon) (Debut)
2 Movie 10 (non Canon )
3. Movie 11 (Non Canon )
4. Kale (canon)

Who's the most milked character again?

This isn't the same Broly guys.. relax.
Last edited by goku the krump dancer on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 pm

TKA wrote:Initial reaction was being very miffed that it was Broly.

After reading Toriyama's statement and seeing that he recognized the problems with Broly as a character, AND after seeing his new design, I am cautiously optimistic.
I have the same opinion now that I have finally calm down. I'm interested to see how they are going to fix Broly now. I just hope the story makes sense and the visuals look good.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Shaddy wrote:I think the issue with the backlash is that we have nothing to judge off of except for a single piece of the premise
I'm not complaining about the final product, since that's not out obviously, but I don't like anything I've seen so far.

• Art
• Concept
• Recycled Villain
RedHeat wrote:
That analogy doesn't work when you're 4 years in.
A car crash is always gonna be a car crash, there's no reason to stop seeing cars getting crashed.

Same goes with fun conversations with friends.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Barely. Most of the popular villains are copies.

I would always prefer copies for a movie over recycling.

Cell/Majin Buu:

• Want to fight strong warriors.

• Absorb others gets stronger.

• Uses attacks from "Z fighters"

Similarities are nothing new anyway.
TheMikado wrote: the execs can only assume we want more laziness and rehashes. All the while the fans justified it with financial sheets and data. Super has a consistent records of “contradicting canon” and established storylines. But in fans efforts to justify Super rather than take it task for half assed concepts and execution, we enabled it.

The fans are the ones who brought it on themselves.
They know most fans will accept anything Akira and/or Toei throws at them.

They can make Goku rainbow hair, and many will be...

"Oh, you haters, you don't get the symbolism of those colors".
There the exact same thing, one is just being honest with you protip its recycling

Besides weren't there 2 cooler movies and 3 broly movies and 2 bardock specials.

This is nothing new.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Toriyama actually took his time to write a full movie script for you all and y’all just keep on complaining. We’re actually getting some new straightforward canon DB content yet y’all persist to complain why?
Oh, the great Akira took his precious times to deliver something so that Dragon Ball may continue, we should clearly stop complaining and see whatever he provides as good regardless of quality.

This is exactly what's wrong with DBS.
Grimlock wrote:Rest in peace, Dragon Ball: 1984 - † 2013.
For me DB died when Goku took off with Uub, after that the "Dragon Ball: Cash Grab" series began.
omaro34 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:I kinda want an arc now where Goku, Vegeta and Broly have to tram up with Cabba, Kale and Caulifa.
Great more Saiyans
My thoughts exactly.
THEGOKU wrote: People hated Beerus cause he is a cat and now he is loved
I never had problems with Beerus design, nor the idea, and even less with him defeating Goku.

The era, the "Vegeta surpassed Goku for a moment" and the "holding hands with pure hearts" were my main issues with the film.
THEGOKU wrote:
they hated that RoF had freeza but were happy he was in the tournament.
The end doesn't justify the means, Frieza was great at ToP, RoF was still trash.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:59 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Shaddy wrote:I think the issue with the backlash is that we have nothing to judge off of except for a single piece of the premise
I'm not complaining about the final product, since that's not out obviously, but I don't like anything I've seen so far.

• Art
The art for the film has easily been the best thing to come out of it. Its a fresh new take on the visuals of the series and vast improvement over the painfully mediocre or bad art that has plagued the franchise for at least a decade.

Its a return to form for the franchise visually, or more accurately a return to having good character designs that are liked in the industry.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Dragono wrote:Uh, they admitted that they are only using broly because he is popular. They are being pretty upfornt about it. Hell, they said the exact same thing with kale.

Toriyama has said numerous times this movie is for fanservice so its not like you were being lied to here. You gotta admire that honesty.
That may be so but it's still not a good thing. Just the last movie brought back the most popular villain as a drawing point. Now this movie is bringing back the next most popular villain for the same reason.

All the possible ideas they could come up with and with how creative Toriyama has been shown to be...and essentially some editor told Toriyama that Broly is really popular so make a Broly movie. Toriyama obviously doesn't care about Broly if he didn't even remember designing him but he's had to make a movie all about him now because he was told to.

That's unbelievably lazy.
PFM18 wrote:I don't care if people complain about that. To me that is the best case scenario. A new "Broly" but he is only Broly by name and is instead an interesting character that is part of the greatest DB movie of all time. A Broly that has a real backstory, interesting motives, a nuanced personality and an interesting transformation with tie-ins to the origins of the Saiyans. THAT is what I want. The less like the original Broly the better IMO. That way this Broly could wipe the old Broly out of everyone's memory and be forgotten forever. Toriyama's Dragon Ball Super Broly would completely overshadow Toei's Dragon Ball Z Broly.
But at that point it's not Broly. Changing his history, his motives, giving him a different personality and different forms...that's not Broly. That's a completely different character that just has his face and name.

So the movie is going to be named after him, the fans are going to see it for the Broly that they are familiar with and who is hugely popular only to get someone that is nothing like that. What's the point in that? That should be an original character and from the sound of it it practically is but they've slapped Broly on him to make more money.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:04 pm

There are 5 things to take away from this :

1- Toriyama sees something in Broly worth revisiting and based on what he's done so far we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

2- If Toriyama is willing to bring back old "non-canon" concepts then Ssj4 and possibly cooler won't be far behind.

3- This just put an end to any possibilities of the old movies being "canon" to Toriyama's story.

4- Broly's creator is eating his heart out right now.

5- Fans are complaining as always but will be the 1st ones lined up to see it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:10 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Okay, so judging by the voice cast and the new characters, the characters in this film are:
Goku
Vegeta
Broly
Paragus
Piccolo
Beerus
Whis
Freeza
Chelye
Lemo
Kikono
Bulma
Kid Trunks
Gohan(?)
Goten(?)
Where did you get this info? What do the question marks mean for the characters that have them?

I really don’t want shit from the Goten and Trunks duo unless they’ve aged up a bit. Otherwise, fuck ‘em. And you missed Bardock. Apparently, according to Geekdom, the english voice of Bardock and Krillin will be in the movie. Of course, that could just mean we’re getting Krillin but Bardock is also a very likely candidate. Of course, since Masako Nozawa voices Bardock, its also up in the air because we still can’t confirmed or deny anything for him.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 pm

Bullza wrote:But at that point it's not Broly. Changing his history, his motives, giving him a different personality and different forms...that's not Broly. That's a completely different character that just has his face and name.

So the movie is going to be named after him, the fans are going to see it for the Broly that they are familiar with and who is hugely popular only to get someone that is nothing like that. What's the point in that? That should be an original character and from the sound of it it practically is but they've slapped Broly on him to make more money.
But he will look like Broly and sound like Broly. Those are the only real defining characteristics of Broly since, ya know, he has no character. As long as he looks like Broly and has the same voice actor people will still see him as Broly. Anything further than having those things in common with the "old" Broly and I will be very disappointed. The "looks like Broly" part includes having a similar looking transformation. He will still have the defining characteristics of Broly but with real motives, an interesting character, and an overall nuanced personality as a whole would do wonders for this character.

Essentially they should keep the shell of Broly but change all of the inner character traits of him.
sintzu wrote:There are 5 things to take away from this :

1- Toriyama sees something in Broly worth revisiting and based on what he's done so far we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

2- If Toriyama is willing to bring back old "non-canon" concepts then Ssj4 and possibly cooler won't be far behind.

3- This just put an end to any possibilities of the old movies being "canon" to Toriyama's story.

You knew no matter what they did fans were going to complain. Literally I don't think there is a single thing they could do with this movie without a significant portion of the fanbase whining about it.
Last edited by PFM18 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 pm

sintzu wrote:There are 5 things to take away from this :

1- Toriyama sees something in Broly worth revisiting and based on what he's done so far we should be very worried and skeptical but above all, hopeful and open-minded. Toriyama these days is very hit-or-miss.

2- If Toriyama is willing to bring back old "non-canon" concepts then Ssj4, Gogeta, and possibly cooler won't be far behind.

Fix’d
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Melkaniator wrote:For me DB died when Goku took off with Uub, after that the "Dragon Ball: Cash Grab" series began.
Everything is cash grab. No one does anything without aiming to profit. Being "cash grab" is not a bad thing unless you do it soulless, which unfortunately it is the case since 2014. You can tell that until Movie 14 and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman they were at least trying, they were telling something, there was something behind it, they both added something valuable to the franchise, mainly the former. Nowadays, things are done without care, without love, resulting in horrendous stuff that we have to put up with.

This is really sad, I really wanted the "main series" to be better, to be right up there with the recent games, but it's only going downhill, and now we've reached this point... :(
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Okay, so judging by the voice cast and the new characters, the characters in this film are:
Goku
Vegeta
Broly
Paragus
Piccolo
Beerus
Whis
Freeza
Chelye
Lemo
Kikono
Bulma
Kid Trunks
Gohan(?)
Goten(?)
Where did you get this info? What do the question marks mean for the characters that have them?

I really don’t want shit from the Goten and Trunks duo unless they’ve aged up a bit. Otherwise, fuck ‘em. And you missed Bardock. Apparently, according to Geekdom, the english voice of Bardock and Krillin will be in the movie. Of course, that could just mean we’re getting Krillin but Bardock is also a very likely candidate. Of course, since Masako Nozawa voices Bardock, its also up in the air because we still can’t confirmed or deny anything for him.
The Kanzenshuu main page lists the voice actors in the film. Paragus and Bulma's voice actors were mentioned. Gohan and Goten have question marks because Nozawa voices both of them and I'm not 100% sure that they'll be in the film. I don't know if Bardock's going to be in the film, but since some scenes will be set in the past, that does seem like a possibility.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:For me DB died when Goku took off with Uub, after that the "Dragon Ball: Cash Grab" series began.
Everything is cash grab. No one does anything without aiming to profit. Being "cash grab" is not a bad thing unless you do it soulless, which unfortunately it is the case since 2014. You can tell that until Movie 14 and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman they were at least trying, they were telling something, there was something behind it, they both added something valuable to the franchise, mainly the former. Nowadays, things are done without care, without love, resulting in horrendous stuff that we have to put up with.

This is really sad, I really wanted the "main series" to be better, to be right up there with the recent games, but it's only going downhill, and now we've reached this point... :(
You love Heroes, but Toriyama doing his own version of Broly is too much for you?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm

PFM18 wrote:But he will look like Broly and sound like Broly. Those are the only real defining characteristics of Broly since, ya know, he has no character.
Well not quite, Broly is pretty shallow but he does have some character and it is what makes him so damn popular.

Him being savagely angry and destructive, having "maximum power" and being an unstoppable force that repeatedly shouts "KAKAROT" is what has always made him so fascinating to a lot of people for some reason. He's basically the Hulk.

He isn't charismatic, he isn't smart, he isn't classically evil, he isn't tortured or sympathetic. He's just a huge monster who plows through people with ease and it's made him more popular than he ever deserved.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 pm

We'll finally get to see Vegeta kick some Broly as*. 8)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 pm

I wonder how Vic Micnogna feels about this. Didn’t he say a while back that he doesn’t particularly like voicing Broly?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I wonder how Vic Micnogna feels about this. Didn’t he say a while back that he doesn’t particularly like voicing Broly?
If he'll be different from the original broly they could get a new voice actor.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Broli being the name of the Saiyan in this film still ultimately has absolutely zero effect on what the plot might be. Nothing about Broli would automatically dictate the film's path.

I do hope that Toriyama's take on Broli is another subversion, though. Maybe this Broli will be a principled man who fought for social democratic values and hates Vegeta because he is the son of the king he tried to overthrow in the past? Who knows.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 pm

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I wonder how Vic Micnogna feels about this. Didn’t he say a while back that he doesn’t particularly like voicing Broly?
If he'll be different from the original broly they could get a new voice actor.
That...would quite possibly be the most controversial of all the FUNimation cast changes we’ve had thus far.