Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:42 am

Michsi wrote:Given that the Bardock OVA is also being shown next next to the original Broly movie and "Fusion reborn", there is a high chance Bardock will also make an appearance in this movie. And if he does, there's a 99% chance it's going to be his "Minus" incarnation.
But in what way?
I wouldn't mind him too being alive, maybe as a college of Paragus in some distant planet, After getting Broly, Paragus, possibly Gogeta and maybe SS4 I am quite numb to these massive shocks and I quite frankly am beginning to enjoy this madness
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:44 am

I'm disappointed that Broly once again will be controlled. I was hoping he wouldn't have that issue, that could lead to brainless Broly. Hopefully it stops there and please no Bardock or any more "returns" unless strictly necessary.

I don't think I commented on the designs yet. I really like them so far. Broly with Saiyan armor looks pretty nice and I like that his bulk isn't as exaggerated.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:46 am

Zelvin wrote:
Bergamo wrote: It makes no sense to arbitrarily remove parts of Toriyama's work, because you don't like them. It's canon.
It also makes no sense to retcon Goku as a 3-4yr old upon arriving on Earth, in Saiyan Armor, when Toriyama's original work made it clear that Goku was found as a baby. Toriyama was essentially retconning his own work that didn't need retconning, and in fact just hurts it. People more see Minus as a thought experiment. A way of introducing and exploring the character of Goku's mother without necessarily being part of the official canon.

Really it's just a simple case of Toriyama being forgetful. Something he's admitted to many times.
There are a lot of retcons that make no sense in Dragonball.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am

Zelvin wrote:
Bergamo wrote: It makes no sense to arbitrarily remove parts of Toriyama's work, because you don't like them. It's canon.
It also makes no sense to retcon Goku as a 3-4yr old upon arriving on Earth, in Saiyan Armor, when Toriyama's original work made it clear that Goku was found as a baby. Toriyama was essentially retconning his own work that didn't need retconning, and in fact just hurts it. People more see Minus as a thought experiment. A way of introducing and exploring the character of Goku's mother without necessarily being part of the official canon.

Really it's just a simple case of Toriyama being forgetful. Something he's admitted to many times.
By this logic, Goku being a saiyan is a retcon since Goku was established as a monkey boy and with the creatures around him made sense. King kai also said a meteor wiped planet vegeta even though he should have known it was Freeza.

Retcons are nothing new to dragon ball, lets stop acting was minus was the first.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Michsi wrote:Given that the Bardock OVA is also being shown next next to the original Broly movie and "Fusion reborn", there is a high chance Bardock will also make an appearance in this movie. And if he does, there's a 99% chance it's going to be his "Minus" incarnation.
But in what way?
I wouldn't mind him too being alive, maybe as a college of Paragus in some distant planet, After getting Broly, Paragus, possibly Gogeta and maybe SS4 I am quite numb to these massive shocks and I quite frankly am beginning to enjoy this madness

I seriously hope it is just in flashback, similar how King Vegeta appeared in the first Broly movie. But I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow managed tom bring him back, too, (along with the entire saiyan population, because this movie is supposed to feature more saiyans than ever before, whatever that means) and at this point I'd probably just blink and move on.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 am

Broly's LSSJ is called Full Power
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:19 am

LightBing wrote:I'm disappointed that Broly once again will be controlled. I was hoping he wouldn't have that issue, that could lead to brainless Broly.
His brainless hulking havoc is a part of why he is such a threat, hulk being an intellectual and fighting with stances wouldn't make him what he is, same thing applies to broly..
It's a good thing if he is mostly a brainless monster at least in "full power" as they like to call it now..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:21 am

BrolyKale wrote:Broly's LSSJ is called Full Power
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Not that this means that is the official name ... but if Legendary Super Saiyajin is not dropped as name for Broly in the movie they could basically just drop the movie. It is not just the form, it is also the name that has a legacy.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am

One thing I wouldn't want is them naming Broly's LSS as "full power" because that's what kales full power look was like and they decided to name him after her..
Naming the original after a copy is really something I would like to avoid..

Aside from that Broly not being awarded the legendary title kind of takes away from the feeling of fighting the once a thousand year freak of nature that he is
Last edited by Ki Breaker on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:30 am

Ki Breaker wrote: Aside from that Broly not being awarded the legendary title really takes away from the feeling of fighting a real freak
It also kind of shows more of a misunderstanding of the things that people love about Broly. If there is nothing, not even an indirect calling of "something legendary" then this taints a lot of what Broly is for people when it comes to what first pops in their mind about him. Next thing would be removing smug, merciless and cruel sides.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:36 am

Dragono wrote: By this logic, Goku being a saiyan is a retcon since Goku was established as a monkey boy and with the creatures around him made sense. King kai also said a meteor wiped planet vegeta even though he should have known it was Freeza.

Retcons are nothing new to dragon ball, lets stop acting was minus was the first.
Except Goku having a tail was unusual and he was the only one. In a world with humans, animal people and talking dinosaurs, Goku was the only one any of them had ever met that was just like any other human, but with a tail. Him being revealed as a Saiyan isn't a retcon, it was an addition to his character. As for King Kai, he was only perpetuating the story that Freeza invented and it's more than likely King Kai wasn't paying attention at the time to those events. Hell, King Kai wasn't even aware of Cell until Goku showed up looking for help finding the Namekians, because King Kai had been asleep for days.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:41 am

BrolyKale wrote:Broly's LSSJ is called Full Power
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Again?? Toei comes up with yet another lazy, unoriginal and downright LAZY name (yes i said it again, because that’s literally what it is)

So far in Super we’ve had:

Super Saiyan Rage
Super Saiyan Berserk

And now Super Saiyan Full Power??! Wtf. It seems they’re not even trying anymore to even put in the slightest effort into creating a decent enough name. Why not just follow the old movies and simply call it Legendary Super Saiyan? Since that’s what it is, and fans know it as? It’s so much easier and a far better, cooler and more appropriate name for the form.

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:44 am

Zelvin wrote:
Dragono wrote: By this logic, Goku being a saiyan is a retcon since Goku was established as a monkey boy and with the creatures around him made sense. King kai also said a meteor wiped planet vegeta even though he should have known it was Freeza.

Except Goku having a tail was unusual and he was the only one. In a world with humans, animal people and talking dinosaurs, Goku was the only one any of them had ever met that was just like any other human, but with a tail. Him being revealed as a Saiyan isn't a retcon, it was an addition to his character. As for King Kai, he was only perpetuating the story that Freeza invented and it's more than likely King Kai wasn't paying attention at the time to those events. Hell, King Kai wasn't even aware of Cell until Goku showed up looking for help finding the Namekians, because King Kai had been asleep for days.
And Krillin was the only one without a nose, Giran was the only one who spits glue, Blue was the only one who could freeze you just by looking at you, Uranai Baba was the only one who could see the future, Man-Wolf was the only, well, Man-Wolf, and so on and so on.

Gokuh being a saiyan is a retcon. Literally, is retrocontinuity, going back to add things that were not originally stablished. That doesn't mean that is bad or good, retrocontinuity is a narrative device as valid as any other, but let's not change the meaning of concepts to fit our particular narrative.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:44 am

I'll be honest if it never is called Legendary (though even if it is not in the movie Toei surely would mention it in the name, I guess) this kind of heavily decreases my excitement. It is almost as removing the form itself. "Broly Full Power". This is not some kind of "Roshi Full Power" or "Bojack Full Power". It is a legendary transformation - or at least it was. I could keep a blind eye for Kale because she was an hommage and not Broly himself - and they even called it "Legendary" in a preview but for Broly? No. If that is changed this "Broly" kinda missed his point.
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 am

Bullza wrote:The colour is the main problem. That they also happen to have Broly wearing tights is just another one.
The color is not a problem. You just don't like it. The 'tights' is also not a problem, since it has been part of Saiyan attire since virtually the beginning.
jeffbr92 wrote:Fixed for ya.
Doesn't need to be present in the original manga run to be part of his story. And he certainly doesn't need lectures from fans on what's part of the fictional universe and story that is Dragon Ball, which comes from his mind and imagination, and what isn't. Nobody needs to like what he does. Only to respect it, since he's the creator.
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am

Cetra wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Aside from that Broly not being awarded the legendary title really takes away from the feeling of fighting a real freak
It also kind of shows more of a misunderstanding of the things that people love about Broly. If there is nothing, not even an indirect calling of "something legendary" then this taints a lot of what Broly is for people when it comes to what first pops in their mind about him. Next thing would be removing smug, merciless and cruel sides.
So the naming of a transformation is the most important and loved aspect of Broly than his enormous body build and physical dominance in battle?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:54 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Cetra wrote:
So the naming of a transformation is the most important and loved aspect of Broly than his enormous body build and physical dominance in battle?
You literally just ignored the post I made before where I also mentioned the form's importance. And ignored an association that is very important for his fans that I should not even need to explain because everyone knows Broly for it. The name of this form is not just a name. There is more behind it. And it goes hand in hand with the form. It also is directly connected to what people love about him what you mentioned. He is "a living legend" and everything speaks for that. Remove the name and you remove a lot of emphasis on the things that people like him for. If he is not a legendary powerhouse he is just another powerhouse. Great.
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:So far in Super we’ve had:

Super Saiyan Rage
Super Saiyan Berserk
Not really in Super, these are just names for game characters.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:04 pm

The characters didn't identify the form as the "Legendary Super Saiyan" when Kale used it so there's no reason to suddenly backpedal and have them recognize it as that now that Broly is using it. We know the story of the Legendary Super Saiyan now and there's nothing to indicate that Yamoshi was this form as opposed to a normal gold-haired Super Saiyan. That might change but the anime and manga have always treated the golden form as the one from the legend except in the Broly movies.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:The characters didn't identify the form as the "Legendary Super Saiyan" when Kale used it so there's no reason to suddenly backpedal and have them recognize it as that now that Broly is using it.
Why do they need to draw the parallel with Kale? If necessary, just say it is not the same thing, something related to it, or whatever but not Broly's form.

Also the anime exploited the "Legendary" concept even aside of the normal SSJ. Broly's form was very obviously inspired by Vegeta's speech in the anime Namek saga (and possibly the Ultra Saiyajin).
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy