Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Zen Yabuki » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 am

I’m excited to see SSG Vegeta animated but beyond that I have no interest in him as he’s very boring to me. I’m interested in how Freeza will fit in and my interest in Goku depends if he’ll be as cool as he was in the ToP. As for Broly, I really want to like him so I’m curious

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: For WCFs we will be able to tell (if there are blank characters in that), those will get revealed next week too. But Ichiban Kuji is a different ball game since ratio's for Ichiban Kuji figures are always between 1&2 so no way we'll be able to tell anything unless they release a silhouette.

(The UI WCF was straight blanked, but the Ichiban Kuji had the silhouette.)

The odds of these hidden characters being Saiyan are high since the last non Saiyan to be in an Ichiban Kuji was Freeza back in September 2015 we've had about 14 (yes 14!) Ichiban Kuji's since then with all figures Saiyans.
I wonder what people hope these secret characters are. I’d want and expect one off the characters to be Gogeta Blue (or maybe even Gogeta UI) or something. The other one is a long shot but i’d hope it would be Yamoshi.
Gogeta technically would be a new character so that ain't out the question. But I still have my reservations really don't want fusions... I am not sure Bardock will be counted as "new" so might rule him out.

If it's new characters that have already been unveiled then Paragus seems a good shout.

Yamoshi would warrant importance over Vegeta if he is in the film and the lore about him is fleshed out even more.

So I'll guess Paragus and Yamoshi.
If Yamoshi is in the film, it will most likely be a flashback scene and wouldn't be long at all. The film will most likely be focused on Brolli and his past.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:50 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:It’s almost unheard of for anime films to receive a dub and release so soon after it comes out in Japan.
It's also unheard of to see an anime be internationally as big as it is domestically so it's nice to finally see them realize the potential DB has overseas which is way overdue.
I think only Pokemon is more widespread than Dragon Ball, for an anime franchise. But even then, Pokemon is marketed mainly towards kids. Dragon Ball, while originally for kids, has found a wide audience with older audiences as well.
Yup. Even Bandai know this, which is why DBS merch is mostly aimed for 15 years olds whereas Pokémon and SDBH merch is aimed for 6 year olds.

When I went to see ResF in theatre's not many kids present but when I went to see Pokémon I Choose You there were many kids present felt like a regular kids/pixar etc film I walked into.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:19 am

Sora Saiyan wrote: The only thing that worried me with the producers comments is that we found out that this is the first time Toriyamas been able to check over everything the anime is doing. Obviously it makes sense that the anime couldn’t show everything because of how tight their schedule was.
The issue that dawned on me is that this seems like ammunition for people to use with that pesky canon debate.
I wouldn't worry about it. The people who are determined to force that debate would just find something else to use, like that banner at comiccon that outlines the manga's serialization and doesn't say what they claim it says.

We've already known that Toriyama doesn't check absolutely everything since at least the Future Trunks arc. Per Toyotaro he checks storyboards and provides various other feedback like Jiren's personality. He doesn't need to micromanage the entire production.

Toriyama/Shueisha/Toei have had plenty of opportunities to force synergy between the anime and the manga but none of them seem to show any interest in doing so. The anime didn't follow the manga while it was behind and the manga doesn't follow the anime now that it's behind. Toriyama encouraged Toyotaro to do his own thing a while back and his first comment about the movie on the official site told us that the manga would continue to differ from the anime/movie side and that we should look forward to those developments.

And why would they? The anime was constantly top 10 in tne ratings, the manga sells pretty well for a monthly publication, and the movie is already making bank on pre-sales. The Super brand is pure fire right now, so why alienate one group of fans by saying 'oh, that thing you like doesn't matter' while catering to the other? DC or Marvel might do something like that, but they've turned pissed off fans into a business model.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:05 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote: The only thing that worried me with the producers comments is that we found out that this is the first time Toriyamas been able to check over everything the anime is doing. Obviously it makes sense that the anime couldn’t show everything because of how tight their schedule was.
The issue that dawned on me is that this seems like ammunition for people to use with that pesky canon debate.
I wouldn't worry about it. The people who are determined to force that debate would just find something else to use, like that banner at comiccon that outlines the manga's serialization and doesn't say what they claim it says.

We've already known that Toriyama doesn't check absolutely everything since at least the Future Trunks arc. Per Toyotaro he checks storyboards and provides various other feedback like Jiren's personality. He doesn't need to micromanage the entire production.

Toriyama/Shueisha/Toei have had plenty of opportunities to force synergy between the anime and the manga but none of them seem to show any interest in doing so. The anime didn't follow the manga while it was behind and the manga doesn't follow the anime now that it's behind. Toriyama encouraged Toyotaro to do his own thing a while back and his first comment about the movie on the official site told us that the manga would continue to differ from the anime/movie side and that we should look forward to those developments.

And why would they? The anime was constantly top 10 in tne ratings, the manga sells pretty well for a monthly publication, and the movie is already making bank on pre-sales. The Super brand is pure fire right now, so why alienate one group of fans by saying 'oh, that thing you like doesn't matter' while catering to the other? DC or Marvel might do something like that, but they've turned pissed off fans into a business model.
Hm... The only time the anime was behind was during RoF and wake universe 6 arc so they didn't really have a chance to follow the manga. The manga dosent have to follow the anime because if mangas follows anime, no one would like the manga.

Plus sheusha can't tell toei to do sqaut since toei is way ahead of the manga. I think now we are going to see the manga and anime start to converge. We already have ssj god vegeta, in the character models, ssj blue had no aura (mssj blue being in the movie is a stretch but I can dream!) plus no sign of evolution and kaioken. So if the movie AT LEAST dosent show kaioken and evolution and act as if those forms don't exist, it will be a GREAT start. Plus the dbs mang was confined to be the continuation of db manga unlike supers anime which is the continuation of db Kai.

Plus, toyotaro would have to be way ahead of his monthly publication if Akira knows toyotaro broly manga arc is going to be differnt then the movie. I think Akira may have been referring to the fact that toyotaro manga top may be differnt. Though it's more then likely his broly arc will be differnt as well. Hm...if the anime comes back. I think then they will for then on out adapt toyotaro manga. I just don't see toei doing it any other way, it's much easier to adapt manga plus the quality of work is uslally BETER when mangas are adapted. Just look at all the premier animes. They are all manga adaptions. Toei will fall in line with dragon ball, the only problem before was that they were ahead.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Just an intermediate question ... Around when could we expect the final trailers?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:Just an intermediate question ... Around when could we expect the final trailers?
September/October if we're following the same pattern as One Piece Film Gold. Their second and final trailer is usually a few months before the film is released.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:51 pm

From now until the release of the movie, the only event that I can think of is Heroes anniversary, which takes place in October. I would say it is going to be there where a new trailer will be released.

UM5 will already cover content from the new movie, so they would be wise to take advantage of that and release a trailer during the event.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Do you think the plot of the movie is going to leak? I could see that happening at some point.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:Just an intermediate question ... Around when could we expect the final trailers?
I wish they won't release anything else as I think the trailer we have showed us more than enough.
PFM18 wrote:Do you think the plot of the movie is going to leak? I could see that happening at some point.
Once it's out in Japan ? of course it will.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm

sintzu wrote:
I wish they won't release anything else as I think the trailer we have showed us more than enough.

Two extra trailers aren't needed, but one appetizer a couple of months before the movie would be nice.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:28 pm

1345521 wrote:unlike supers anime which is the continuation of db Kai.
Don't spread misinformation, this isn't stated anywhere nor is true.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:34 pm

PFM18 wrote:Do you think the plot of the movie is going to leak? I could see that happening at some point.
With so many dubbing companies getting the working cut I wouldn't be surprised. But I also don't think it'll be that big a deal as between promotional material, trailers, merchandise and whatnot we'll probably be able to piece together the bulk of the movie anyway.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:44 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
The idea of Super continuing from Kai comes from it using Kai's footage during flashbacks.
BlueBasilisk wrote:Between promotional material, trailers, merchandise and whatnot we'll probably be able to piece together the bulk of the movie anyway.
We can nearly do that now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:48 pm

sintzu wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
The idea of Super continuing from Kai comes from it using Kai's footage during flashbacks.
BlueBasilisk wrote:Between promotional material, trailers, merchandise and whatnot we'll probably be able to piece together the bulk of the movie anyway.
We can nearly do that now.

You can always decide not to watch second trailer. :mrgreen:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:07 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I wonder what people hope these secret characters are. I’d want and expect one off the characters to be Gogeta Blue (or maybe even Gogeta UI) or something. The other one is a long shot but i’d hope it would be Yamoshi.
Gogeta technically would be a new character so that ain't out the question. But I still have my reservations really don't want fusions... I am not sure Bardock will be counted as "new" so might rule him out.

If it's new characters that have already been unveiled then Paragus seems a good shout.

Yamoshi would warrant importance over Vegeta if he is in the film and the lore about him is fleshed out even more.

If Yamoshi is in the film, it will most likely be a flashback scene and wouldn't be long at all. The film will most likely be focused on Brolli and his past.
I think they could do a Broly’s Second Coming and have Goku and Vegeta pushing back Broly. But before they lose, the spirit of Yamoshi shows up to help finish off Broly.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I think they could do a Broly’s Second Coming and have Goku and Vegeta pushing back Broly. But before they lose, the spirit of Yamoshi shows up to help finish off Broly.
Revived by Baba for one day, to finish off Broly?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:33 pm

sintzu wrote:The idea of Super continuing from Kai comes from it using Kai's footage during flashbacks.
Just for some of them though. There were others that were fully reanimated like the one with Future Trunks and Gohan or some of the ones in the ToP. I'd wager it was stock footage to save time. Although now that I think about it it's kind of weird they didn't use History of Trunks for that flashback since it's a pretty good looking special. Maybe they didn't want to subject it to their sepia filter. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:38 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
sintzu wrote:The idea of Super continuing from Kai comes from it using Kai's footage during flashbacks.
Just for some of them though. There were others that were fully reanimated like the one with Future Trunks and Gohan or some of the ones in the ToP. I'd wager it was stock footage to save time. Although now that I think about it it's kind of weird they didn't use History of Trunks for that flashback since it's a pretty good looking special. Maybe they didn't want to subject it to their sepia filter. :lol:
Pretty much. The re-animated scenes were the ones that weren't already remastered in HD while Kai obviously was so hence why anything from Kai was used as a flashback and stuff like specials or OG DB flashbacks were re-animated. Since it probably was easier doing that then digging up old materials just to remaster 30 secs of footage.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:55 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
For ALL. The only ones they reanimated were the ones that didnt have a "kai" to. like the movies and specials. smh.