Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Zelvin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:46 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I hope Cheelai doesn't get killed
off unceremoniously like Frieza's other goons and Zangya did. She's cute. :P
Definitely need some Cheelai love. Wait til end of the movie, she just gets stuffed into a pod with Broly and they take off. She has no idea what's goin on an asks him why he saved her. And Broly just goes; "Nghh....Mate." in a gruff voice. "Eh?....EHHHHHHHH?!" and they zoom off together to have some happy green-skinned super babies. :mrgreen:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 am

Zelvin wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I hope Cheelai doesn't get killed
off unceremoniously like Frieza's other goons and Zangya did. She's cute. :P
Definitely need some Cheelai love. Wait til end of the movie, she just gets stuffed into a pod with Broly and they take off. She has no idea what's goin on an asks him why he saved her. And Broly just goes; "Nghh....Mate." in a gruff voice. "Eh?....EHHHHHHHH?!" and they zoom off together to have some happy green-skinned super babies. :mrgreen:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
What makes me sad is this. Cheelai might very well be from a flashback. Her and Lemo were revealed with Kikono and Kikono is from the time of DBMinus. And it seems that Freeza has another right hand henchmen. The one who looks like Sorbet with purple hair. This might mean that Kikono, Cheelai, and Lemo are all from the past. It would also explain why Cheelai and Lemo are on the same yellow planet as Young Paragus and the unknown saiyan.

I really hope I'm wrong though. I want Cheelai at least to stick around. Give more personality to the Freeza Force since Freeza and by extension, his force will probably be sticking around for the long run
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Is the Cheelai the English spelling we're going with? Thought it was Chirai. She's got a cute design. Wonder what race she's from.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:Is the Cheelai the English spelling we're going with? Thought it was Chirai. She's got a cute design. Wonder what race she's from.
That's how it was spelled on the comiccon banner so I figure it's safe enough. She could be from the same race of rainbow colored people as Jeice and Salza. But who knows? "Human but *color*" is the easiest alien design of all. :P

A few more seconds of footage from a Fuji TV commercial have surfaced. I've seen a lot of people speculating it's Planet Vegeta exploding in the bottom image. I don't believe it is though. There's terrain in the foreground and it doesn't look like it's nearly far enough away.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:06 pm

sintzu wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Goku couldn't transform in ssj at will remember?
That doesn't mean UI should be the next ssj that he can use to play baseball with.
Maybe not but never the less its a stupid argument!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Goku couldn't transform in ssj at will remember?
That doesn't mean UI should be the next ssj that he can use to play baseball with.
Maybe not but never the less its a stupid argument!
Goku returned to his base form after he was done fighting Frieza, and then transformed into a SS again after Frieza tried to attack Goku from behind. Nothing suggests that he couldn't use the form at will.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Bergamo wrote:Goku returned to his base form after he was done fighting Frieza, and then transformed into a SS again after Frieza tried to attack Goku from behind. Nothing suggests that he couldn't use the form at will.
He told Trunks he could only use it when he got angry but after awhile he managed to train enough to use it at will.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:27 pm

I just realized something; what if UI Gogeta ends up being in this film?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:28 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Goku returned to his base form after he was done fighting Frieza, and then transformed into a SS again after Frieza tried to attack Goku from behind. Nothing suggests that he couldn't use the form at will.
He told Trunks he could only use it when he got angry but after awhile he managed to train enough to use it at will.
You're right, although from a story perspective it takes him very little time to actually be able to willingly use the form.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Bergamo wrote:You're right, although from a story perspective it takes him very little time to actually be able to willingly use the form.
Wasn't he gone for over a year in space ? if that's how long he took or a bit less then it wasn't exactly little.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:37 pm

The snark an sass are getting a little out of hand in this thread. Account strikes will be issued if you don't reign it back in and stop disrespecting each other for having different opinions and theories. Find nicer ways to phrase what you have to say.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Grimlock wrote:Apparently two more scenes from the new movie. Hopefully that exploding scene is related to the destruction of planet Vegeta after the Bardock vs Freeza fight.

Seeing the full commercial, it seems it might just be an explosion from the clash between Goku and Broly. That's a shame, I was expecting something more interesting out of it. :(
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Apparently two more scenes from the new movie. Hopefully that exploding scene is related to the destruction of planet Vegeta after the Bardock vs Freeza fight.

Seeing the full commercial, it seems it might just be an explosion from the clash between Goku and Broly. That's a shame, I was expecting something more interesting out of it. :(
I’ve checked multiple times and I’ve asked others. We believe that its just a clever cut. The scenery completely changes from Goku and Broly to the explosion. Its two different scenes.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bergamo wrote:You're right, although from a story perspective it takes him very little time to actually be able to willingly use the form.
Wasn't he gone for over a year in space ? if that's how long he took or a bit less then it wasn't exactly little.
It was like 3 chapters. That's not long from a story perspective.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 pm

kudo6000 wrote:He did attain it. I believe the more appropriate term you're looking for is 'mastered.'

That was the gimmick of Ultra Instinct during the ToP; just as when everybody including Goku himself believed he couldn't tap into it anymore after that one, thought-to-be rare occasion against Jiren, the transformation would trigger whenever Goku happened to be at the brink of losing. What's to stop that from happening again? Especially when we take into consideration who Goku's opponent is here.

Ultra Instinct, particularly its silver-haired variant, is apparently popular in both Japan and the west. It'd be weird for them to exclude it from a film that Toriyama admits to having elements of fan service.
Scripting and designs were done well before UI even debuted. Designs for the film were completed October 2017. UI didn't debut until March 2018. Figures for the movie were sculpted late 2017/early 2018 either way before UI also, so that means everything was set to go by then.

Unless adding UI happened during production that would be the only way to explain the seemingly lack of merch for it on movie month.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
kudo6000 wrote:He did attain it. I believe the more appropriate term you're looking for is 'mastered.'

That was the gimmick of Ultra Instinct during the ToP; just as when everybody including Goku himself believed he couldn't tap into it anymore after that one, thought-to-be rare occasion against Jiren, the transformation would trigger whenever Goku happened to be at the brink of losing. What's to stop that from happening again? Especially when we take into consideration who Goku's opponent is here.

Ultra Instinct, particularly its silver-haired variant, is apparently popular in both Japan and the west. It'd be weird for them to exclude it from a film that Toriyama admits to having elements of fan service.
Scripting and designs were done well before UI even debuted. Designs for the film were completed October 2017. UI didn't debut until March 2018. Figures for the movie were sculpted late 2017/early 2018 either way before UI also, so that means everything was set to go by then.

Unless adding UI happened during production that would be the only way to explain the seemingly lack of merch for it on movie month.

It's always intresting an appreciated how you give this extra info. Thx.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Fuck, Mastery of Selflessness is such a cool looking form but now that I've read the theory that Gokuu probably doesn't like the form since it means he's fighting purely on instinct and not conscious of it...shit...he would hate that. Ugh. Damn it. I guess it's time to wait for his next transformation, then.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:12 pm

New interview with Tatsuya Nagamine on directing this film.

Here's what stood out from the interview (based on using Google translate, so I apologise in advance if anything turns out innacurate):
- Nagamine's been a Dragon Ball fan since he was a kid.
- He wants this new movie to appeal to people who aren't interested in Dragon Ball (the parents taking their kids to the theatre, for example.)
- Nagamine wanted to be the series director for Super up until the end, but he ended up being selected as the director for the new movie, so he had to drop that position.
- He says that this movie is very attentive because talented people with enormous energy are gathering to work on it.
- I think he says that Zeno appears at one point during this film.
- The movie was supposed to be scheduled for 90 minutes, but when Nagamine made the storyboard, it ended up being twice as long (lol). He spoke to the producers about the run time of the film and it got extended.
- Lemo has been in the Freeza Force for decades. He's also a nice person. Cheelai is young and "a bad girl" (not a villain, most likely referring to her personality). From what I can make out, it looks like Lemo, Cheelai and Broly are a team and their relationship is paid attention to during the film. "Lemo, who has been doing nothing with the front line fighter of the Freeza Army, is changing with influence by actions of encounters with Broly and Cheelai's momentum."
- Freeza is "growing" (in strength, presumably) and it looks like his ambition is still to defeat Zeno.
- Freeza fought Goku and Vegeta alone in Resurrection 'F' and it was a great disadvantage. So Nagamine asks the reader to think about how Freeza will try to combat Goku and Vegeta in this film.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I just realized something; what if UI Gogeta ends up being in this film?
That’s overkill when UI Goku alone can beat Broly. A UI Fusion is literally a one-shot delete button for our heroes. Broly wouldn’t last 1 second!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Fuck, Mastery of Selflessness is such a cool looking form but now that I've read the theory that Gokuu probably doesn't like the form since it means he's fighting purely on instinct and not conscious of it...shit...he would hate that. Ugh. Damn it. I guess it's time to wait for his next transformation, then.
Goku wouldn't care. It's his body and his strength is a result of his own training. Goku would never refuse to get stronger over something as petty as he wants to feel like he's in control.