Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:50 pm

I have a few ideas on how the movie will end:

1. Goku uses UI on the last minute and kills Broli
2. Goku, Vegeta and Freeza kills Broli with a team attack (Similar to how Broli died in DBZ Movie 10)
3. They rehash Broli's death from DBZ Movie 8
4. Broli does not die and escapes to return for another story
5. Shin shows up to have Goku and Vegeta to fuse into Vegito and Vegito kills Broli
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I have a few ideas on how the movie will end:

1. Goku uses UI on the last minute and kills Broli
2. Goku, Vegeta and Freeza kills Broli with a team attack (Similar to how Broli died in DBZ Movie 10)
3. They rehash Broli's death from DBZ Movie 8
4. Broli does not die and escapes to return for another story
5. Shin shows up to have Goku and Vegeta to fuse into Vegito and Vegito kills Broli
I'd say a combination of 1 and 3 is the most likely outcome, I wouldn't like it but I can see it ending like this

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:03 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Chirai x Freeza is dead.

Long live Chirai x Broli.
Certain fanart on the internet already beat you to it. Maybe when this movie comes out people will draw some SFW stuff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:10 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Damn, well...I wasn't really on board with Broli when he was first announced, but the promo interviews and stuff are sure doing their job to get me hyped :lol: This interview in particular gave us some interesting tidbits about how Broli will interact with the 2 new characters, and info on their personalities as well. Toriyama is great at making new characters interesting, so I'm pumped to see how the "balance" mentioned here will work out. Noticed that Paragus is conspcuously absent, though. Perhaps he's only around as a catalyst to get things started, then he and his cute pink dress are out of the picture for the majority of the story.

It's both exciting and disappointing that the original screenplay would've made the movie 3 hours long. Great that it seems a lot of thought went into it, sad that they had to cut it down to make it closer to the standard length. Nagamine said he was able to get a bit more than the 90 minute time limit, but how much I wonder? Just hope that it doesn't result in the story feeling rushed/not well explained.

What parallel timeline do we live in that's making me become interested in a Broli story in 2018
I'm thinking he got a 105 minute run-time. When Fuji TV aired the last two Dragon Ball movies and One Piece: Episode of Alabasta those movies were originally 85-90 minutes long but had extended cuts created to make them 105 minutes long. This makes me think that at most we'll only get a 105 minute cut for the initial theatrical run.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Also Goku is confirmed to be almost a God while Vegeta is desperately trying to catch back up. Sounds about right. Hopefully we don't see that awful SSBE transformation again.
This was known since the series never put Goku passed Beerus, even when he mastered UI. Not surprising.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Chirai x Freeza is dead.

Long live Chirai x Broli.
Certain fanart on the internet already beat you to it. Maybe when this movie comes out people will draw some SFW stuff
Ooh, there's already Chirai x Broli fan art? Excellent. My boy Freeza will remain unshipped for a little while longer, sure, but I am fully in support of the spunky, small and cute Chirai being matched up with the stoic and massively cut Broli.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Also Goku is confirmed to be almost a God while Vegeta is desperately trying to catch back up. Sounds about right. Hopefully we don't see that awful SSBE transformation again.
Without UI, i wonder if vegeta will ever catch up. I doubt he will reach a level above official gods of destruction like goku with his ssbe state. And just like you, i really dont like ssbe, and would want to see it as least as possible.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Vegeta might feel like he's trying to catch up with Gokuu but I get the sense that they're still pretty much equal because Gokuu cannot use the Mastery of Selflessness by will.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Without UI, i wonder if vegeta will ever catch up. I doubt he will reach a level above official gods of destruction like goku with his ssbe state. And just like you, i really dont like ssbe, and would want to see it as least as possible.
Why would the statement not factor in UI when the story showed Goku in MUI? Even IF he can't access the form, still doesn't change the fact that they seen him with that power.
It's obvious the statement is speaking in overall power of Goku, hence why it's mentioned Vegeta is trying to catch Goku.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:36 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Vegeta might feel like he's trying to catch up with Gokuu but I get the sense that they're still pretty much equal because Gokuu cannot use the Mastery of Selflessness by will.
Mastery of selflessness is not a correct translation of Migatte no Gokui.

Edit:"The form’s name in Japanese:
身勝手の極意
Migatte no Goku’i

身勝手/migatte typically means “selfish”, although when you break it down, 身 means body while 勝手 can mean “of one’s own accord” (as in 勝手に). With all the emphasis on Goku’s dodging and fast reactions in this state, and the way this seems to tie in with Whis’s teachings about getting each part of one’s body to move on its own, it seems they had wordplay in mind and that in context 身勝手/migatte is supposed to suggest one’s body moving on its own. With that in mind, it seems this is the part of the name which the official subtitles translate as “instinct”.

極意/goku’i means the deepest level of an art or skill, secret teaching, innermost secrets…etc, etc. Basically a fancy way of saying a secret, something known only to the masters of an art and not to the newbs. That’s its typical meaning as a set phrase, anyway. When you break it down though, 極/goku means “extreme” and 意/i means “thoughts” or “mind”. In that light, there may be more wordplay intended here, with the term in this context meant to suggest “extreme mind”, which also tie in with Goku’s increased reaction speed, if he’s in a heightened state of awareness. Anyway, with 極/goku means “extreme”, it seems this is the part of the name which the official subtitles translate as “ultra”.

Keep in mind that this 極/goku is unrelated to the name of our hero 悟空/Gokuu (written with two characters roughly meaning “Aware of the Void”, and with kuu here having an elongated vowel sound). With all the other potential wordplay going on in the name, it’s hard to completely rule out an intended connection, but take it from me that in Japanese 極/goku and 悟空/Gokuu are quite different.

The の/no in the middle there is a possessive or linking particle; precisely how you translate it is highly context dependent. If we translate 身勝手/migatte as “selfish” and 極意/goku’i as “secret”, then の/no could be translated as “of” or as an apostrophe: so you get “Secret of Selfishness” or “Selfishness’ Secret”. The official subtitles leave it out entirely, presumably taking the relationship between the two parts of the name as implicit, and so we get “Ultra Instinct”."
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Bergamo wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Vegeta might feel like he's trying to catch up with Gokuu but I get the sense that they're still pretty much equal because Gokuu cannot use the Mastery of Selflessness by will.
Mastery of selflessness is not a correct translation of Migatte no Gokui.

Edit:"The form’s name in Japanese:
身勝手の極意
Migatte no Goku’i

身勝手/migatte typically means “selfish”, although when you break it down, 身 means body while 勝手 can mean “of one’s own accord” (as in 勝手に). With all the emphasis on Goku’s dodging and fast reactions in this state, and the way this seems to tie in with Whis’s teachings about getting each part of one’s body to move on its own, it seems they had wordplay in mind and that in context 身勝手/migatte is supposed to suggest one’s body moving on its own. With that in mind, it seems this is the part of the name which the official subtitles translate as “instinct”.

極意/goku’i means the deepest level of an art or skill, secret teaching, innermost secrets…etc, etc. Basically a fancy way of saying a secret, something known only to the masters of an art and not to the newbs. That’s its typical meaning as a set phrase, anyway. When you break it down though, 極/goku means “extreme” and 意/i means “thoughts” or “mind”. In that light, there may be more wordplay intended here, with the term in this context meant to suggest “extreme mind”, which also tie in with Goku’s increased reaction speed, if he’s in a heightened state of awareness. Anyway, with 極/goku means “extreme”, it seems this is the part of the name which the official subtitles translate as “ultra”.

Keep in mind that this 極/goku is unrelated to the name of our hero 悟空/Gokuu (written with two characters roughly meaning “Aware of the Void”, and with kuu here having an elongated vowel sound). With all the other potential wordplay going on in the name, it’s hard to completely rule out an intended connection, but take it from me that in Japanese 極/goku and 悟空/Gokuu are quite different.

The の/no in the middle there is a possessive or linking particle; precisely how you translate it is highly context dependent. If we translate 身勝手/migatte as “selfish” and 極意/goku’i as “secret”, then の/no could be translated as “of” or as an apostrophe: so you get “Secret of Selfishness” or “Selfishness’ Secret”. The official subtitles leave it out entirely, presumably taking the relationship between the two parts of the name as implicit, and so we get “Ultra Instinct”."
Wow, where the fuck did I get that idea from, then? Huh. Lack of sleep?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 am

Miracles wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Why would the statement not factor in UI when the story showed Goku in MUI? Even IF he can't access the form, still doesn't change the fact that they seen him with that power.
It's obvious the statement is speaking in overall power of Goku, hence why it's mentioned Vegeta is trying to catch Goku.
nothing that you wrote corrects my statement.
When i said without UI, i was directing it to vegeta. As in
"Without vegeta having UI, i wonder if he will ever reach said level". Its a simple reading mistake I've also made, so its cool.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:12 am

JulieYBM wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:Damn, well...I wasn't really on board with Broli when he was first announced, but the promo interviews and stuff are sure doing their job to get me hyped :lol: This interview in particular gave us some interesting tidbits about how Broli will interact with the 2 new characters, and info on their personalities as well. Toriyama is great at making new characters interesting, so I'm pumped to see how the "balance" mentioned here will work out. Noticed that Paragus is conspcuously absent, though. Perhaps he's only around as a catalyst to get things started, then he and his cute pink dress are out of the picture for the majority of the story.

It's both exciting and disappointing that the original screenplay would've made the movie 3 hours long. Great that it seems a lot of thought went into it, sad that they had to cut it down to make it closer to the standard length. Nagamine said he was able to get a bit more than the 90 minute time limit, but how much I wonder? Just hope that it doesn't result in the story feeling rushed/not well explained.

What parallel timeline do we live in that's making me become interested in a Broli story in 2018
I really wanted a three hour movie but you can't win every battle.
I'm thinking he got a 105 minute run-time. When Fuji TV aired the last two Dragon Ball movies and One Piece: Episode of Alabasta those movies were originally 85-90 minutes long but had extended cuts created to make them 105 minutes long. This makes me think that at most we'll only get a 105 minute cut for the initial theatrical run.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:17 am

Toriyama wrote a 3 hour script and they cut in half.....

Thats not a good sign.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 am

Not a good sign at all. If this movie does contain a decent Saiyan backstory, I don't want it to be rushed. Otherwise it will be just another Dragon Ball Minus, but even worse in a bigger scale.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 am

Dragono wrote:Toriyama wrote a 3 hour script and they cut in half.....

Thats not a good sign.
That seems somewhat at odds with what Iyoku said about the script earlier this year.
The scenario we received at first, Toriyama-sensei himself said, “I think it might be a bit short…?”… And so from there we added several plot points. And then it ended up being unexpectedly long. (laughs) Now, we’re at the point where Toei Animation is expertly pulling it all together. (laughs)

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:49 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:

Thats not a good sign.
That seems somewhat at odds with what Iyoku said about the script earlier this year.
The scenario we received at first, Toriyama-sensei himself said, “I think it might be a bit short…?”… And so from there we added several plot points. And then it ended up being unexpectedly long. (laughs) Now, we’re at the point where Toei Animation is expertly pulling it all together. (laughs)
........lets just wait for the movie.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:54 am

Now i actually want a retelling when DBS comes back. A retelling where they use the full 3 hour story. Or maybe Toyotaro will get to use the full 3 hour story.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:59 am

Thats not a good sign.
Sounds necessary. Why would he write a 3-hour script, anyways? A bit excessive.

My only guess is that he became too into it and over indulged in ideas. Nothing wrong with that. Gives the anime, if it were to return, more material to work with.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 am

I don't think there's anything to worry about. It's a directors job to adapt a script to screen to the best of his ability. Nagamine was being true to Toriyama's script while creating the storyboard, then he and several others cut out the fluff to create a more cohesive story. Toriyama and the editorial staff even said that the script was too long, so they left it up to Toei to cut it down.

If the Battle of Gods extended cut is anything to go by, then cutting the script down is a good idea. I've always preferred the theatrical version to the extended one since it keeps the pace going and doesn't spend too much time on gags that overstay their welcome.