Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:A quick heads up we are getting movie news on v jump.
When is that exactly?
21 is the official release date for vjump.There’s a scan on naruto forums.
Yeah. That was just a troll. The person tweeted that out as a joke yesterday and some people caught on in the comments bt others didn’t i guess. He tweeted an old scan. Its too early for V-Jump leaks on the 13th. Wait til tomorrow (the 15th) to start expecting leaks.
Last edited by AnimeNation101 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:20 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
When is that exactly?
Yeah. That was just a troll. The person tweeted that out as a joke yesterday and some people caught on in the comments bt others didn’t i guess. He tweeted an old scan. Its too early for V-Jump leaks on the 13th. Wait til tomorrow (the 15th) to start expected leaks.
Wait we could get leaks about the movie tomorrow? That's awesome!

I honestly can't even fully rationalize why I am so excited for this movie. When I heard it was a Broly movie I was infuriated

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:25 pm

PFM18 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: 21 is the official release date for vjump.There’s a scan on naruto forums.
Yeah. That was just a troll. The person tweeted that out as a joke yesterday and some people caught on in the comments bt others didn’t i guess. He tweeted an old scan. Its too early for V-Jump leaks on the 13th. Wait til tomorrow (the 15th) to start expected leaks.

I honestly can't even fully rationalize why I am so excited for this movie. When I heard it was a Broly movie I was infuriated
Yeah. Between the 15th and 21th is when you should be expecting leaks.

And same. I was hoping for some completely uncharted lore territory. Stuff with Sadala, ancient saiyans, lore, etc. and we got Broly. And it seems like the only new lore we’re gonna get is Broly’s backstory since we already know Vegeta’s backstory for the most part and we’ve seen Goku’s tons of times.

I guess its because i still have hope that it can somehow all tie in. That, and no matter what, new dragon ball content always gets me hyped.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
When is that exactly?
There’s a guy on naruto forums who is as reliable as younkouproduction.He posted the scan a few hours ago,unlesss he was trolling.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Yeah. That was just a troll. The person tweeted that out as a joke yesterday and some people caught on in the comments bt others didn’t i guess. He tweeted an old scan. Its too early for V-Jump leaks on the 13th. Wait til tomorrow (the 15th) to start expected leaks.

Yeah. Between the 15th and 21th is when you should be expecting leaks.

And same. I was hoping for some completely uncharted lore territory. Stuff with Sadala, ancient saiyans, lore, etc. and we got Broly. And it seems like the only new lore we’re gonna get is Broly’s backstory since we already know Vegeta’s backstory for the most part and we’ve seen Goku’s tons of times.

I guess its because i still have hope that it can somehow all tie in. That, and no matter what, new dragon ball content always gets me hyped.
Well we are going to get more insight into the history of the Saiyans as a whole. We know of Vegeta, Goku's backstories but we are going to have DB Minus tie ins, and get more lore in regards to the Saiyans in general.

And didn't Toriyama say there was going to be a ton of Saiyans in this movie? Like the most in history? I expect there to be a lot of lore involved in this movie.
Last edited by PFM18 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: 21 is the official release date for vjump.There’s a scan on naruto forums.
There’s a guy on naruto forums who is as reliable as younkouproduction.He posted the scan a few hours ago,unlesss he was trolling.
Link it to me plz.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:58 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Yeah. That was just a troll. The person tweeted that out as a joke yesterday and some people caught on in the comments bt others didn’t i guess. He tweeted an old scan. Its too early for V-Jump leaks on the 13th. Wait til tomorrow (the 15th) to start expected leaks.
Link it to me plz.
You can’t see it without an account.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: There’s a guy on naruto forums who is as reliable as younkouproduction.He posted the scan a few hours ago,unlesss he was trolling.
Link it to me plz.
You can’t see it without an account.
Screenshot it and send it to me via pm by making it an imgur link plz

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 pm

ricky84 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: The Wikipedia article is most likely wrong as you can see in one of my post above.
Why would the wiki article be wrong and not yours ? I don't think these mangaka would put in the effort they do if their main target group was 6-10 year olds, especially someone like Oda who goes above and beyond for the smallest details.
HeroR wrote:As for Super's intended audience, when directly asked about it, the director said it was aimed at the same group as the rest of Dragon Ball.
Actions speak louder than words and what we've seen so far says the opposite.
Jesus-is Lord wrote:Look at goku at the end, he dosent have any blood shown - if this movie fails to show some intensity that old dragon ball felt - I will officially give up on modern dragon ball.
I can live without the blood as long as it's not full of gags like cutting to the Pilaf gang every 5 minutes or some of the odd to say the least modern anime tropes that Super tried to bring into DB.
One Piece and other shonen are indeed primary aimed at young boys (8-15). You are delusional if you think any Dragonball media or shonen series is aimed at an older group than that.

And no, standards for what is appropriate for children differ by culture, so DB(Z) having more blood and ecchi isn't proof of it being more mature or being made for an older audience.

And just because something is for kids don't mean it should be put to a lower standard or made with less effort. Hell, Oda himself will tell you that One Piece is a young boys series, yet look at the amount of effort he puts into it.
I think one thing people are failing to mention when trying to compare DB/Z as being “more mature” or violent than a super is, the original manga and anime existed over 20 years ago and the times have changed. Such violence has been extensively toned down for the age demographic that DB is aimed at since those days. So that’s one reason people seem to believe the older material was somehow aimed at adults. The old anime was also aired in the evenings which is generally a time slot where more action and violence could be accepted compared to the 9am time slot of Super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:17 pm

bleed0range wrote:Such violence has been extensively toned down for the age demographic that DB is aimed at since those days.
That never stopped Naruto and One Piece from being violent.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Amir wrote:But my point about limit breaker Jiren is factual.
It isn't. First of all Jiren didn't break his limits but released dormant power he already had.
Secondly that dormant power was not defined or compared to Beerus at all.
Especially when you got an anime magazine only QUESTIONING if UI Goku, who beat that Jiren is stronger than Beerus.
You even have the Shounen magazine QUESTIONING if Broly himself is stronger than a god of destruction too.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Miracles wrote:
It isn't. First of all Jiren didn't break his limits but released dormant power he already had.
Yeah this is just semantics. They are essentially the same thing.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Miracles wrote:You even have the Shounen magazine QUESTIONING if Broly himself is stronger than a god of destruction too.
These kinds of statements are specifically written to be vague and have children arguing with each other on the playground to keep them excited long enough for the next magazine to come out with an equally faux-sensationalist statement for the cycle to repeat.

Don't play into it so seriously. Not everything is written to be biblical truth.

Also: Dragon Ball is made for children, and yet you're allowed to like it no matter who you are.
sintzu wrote:You think Itachi's story is a kids story ? or all the convoluted lore behind One Piece ?
Yes.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm

PFM18 wrote:Yeah this is just semantics. They are essentially the same thing.
They aren't. Limit breaking is going above and beyond, gaining new power. Dormant power is strength one already had but unlocked.
VegettoEX wrote:
Miracles wrote:You even have the Shounen magazine QUESTIONING if Broly himself is stronger than a god of destruction too.
These kinds of statements are specifically written to be vague and have children arguing with each other on the playground to keep them excited long enough for the next magazine to come out with an equally faux-sensationalist statement for the cycle to repeat.

Don't play into it so seriously. Not everything is written to be biblical truth...
This is true. That's why I don't take whether Broly is stronger or weaker than a god as facts. :)
They are essentially doing the same with Beerus too...leaving his status very vague.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm gonna keep repeating my self. Please take the jiren vs beerus debate to the stength discussion thread. This isnt the place for it

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Miracles wrote:
Especially when you got an anime magazine only QUESTIONING if UI Goku, who beat that Jiren is stronger than Beerus.
You even have the Shounen magazine QUESTIONING if Broly himself is stronger than a god of destruction too.
Same thing. Releasing your dormant powers (previously unavailable) is the SAME as breaking ones limits. Argument invalid. Also, you don’t have to downplay Broly by using the argument that they “questioned” wether he has power beyond that of a God of Destruction.
We all know that Broly is going to be stronger than Beerus. No need to fool ourselves. And he is also confirmed to be above Jiren. As the director of this movie (or whoever it was) clearly said that this enemy is the strongest being Goku and co. have ever faced. This naturally includes Jiren.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:03 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Same thing. Releasing your dormant powers (previously unavailable) is the SAME as breaking ones limits. Argument invalid. Also, you don’t have to downplay Broly by using the argument that they “questioned” wether he has power beyond that of a God of Destruction.
We all know that Broly is going to be stronger than Beerus. No need to fool ourselves. And he is also confirmed to be above Jiren. As the director of this movie (or whoever it was) clearly said that this enemy is the strongest being Goku and co. have ever faced. This naturally includes Jiren.
I don't want to here your wishful fan fiction about Beerus strength too. Especially when the series specifically never defined his power.
I also don't want to debate petty semantics. It doesn't matter, the point is Jiren's "dormant power" or limit breaker as you people call it, is just another power up.
This still means nothing cause UI Goku beat this Jiren and this UI Goku was only QUESTIONED whether he was stronger than Beerus in a official magazine.
Kenneth La Torre wrote:I'm gonna keep repeating my self. Please take the jiren vs beerus debate to the stength discussion thread. This isnt the place for it
I agree. It really was about Broly being stronger than beerus at first but I will stop this now. I'm tired of reading fanfic.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:24 pm

https://twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vjump/stat ... 2972778497 Here's that poster I mentioned before. I'm not sure what the text says but it might be helpful if you'd like to get a physical copy for yourself.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:40 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:It's times like this where I get sad that Rocketman left, or perhaps feel envious of him, for now I won't see his reaction to "there's a fourth Broly movie where he has a waifu, people say he's canon, only Goku can fight him, and he's stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Vegetto."
I remember the old thread I made in the Fan-Works section asking for some recommendations back in 2014. At the time, I asked for some suggestions that didn't involve the common tropes that we come across in 99% of fanfiction and this was Rocketman's response:

The simple truth is there just aren't many good DB fancomics.

Hell, once you cut out "Broly IV: The Quest for Broly", "old enemies return" and "superpowered relative of old enemy", there's practically no DB fancomics at all.

I miss this guy. I am a big Broly fan which is why I'm looking forward to this movie but I can understand why many fans are skeptical of the idea. Toriyama did flatout say "I hear these days, he’s still very popular not only in Japan, but also overseas. Based on that, my editor suggested we have Broly appear in this next movie." so Toriyama's at least being honest that Broly's popularity is the major reason why he's being brought back again. I doubt they would consider doing a reboot of a different movie character regardless of how good they feel the idea could be since the others aren't as popular.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Skar wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:It's times like this where I get sad that Rocketman left, or perhaps feel envious of him, for now I won't see his reaction to "there's a fourth Broly movie where he has a waifu, people say he's canon, only Goku can fight him, and he's stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Vegetto."
I remember the old thread I made in the Fan-Works section asking for some recommendations back in 2014. At the time, I asked for some suggestions that didn't involve the common tropes that we come across in 99% of fanfiction and this was Rocketman's response:

The simple truth is there just aren't many good DB fancomics.

Hell, once you cut out "Broly IV: The Quest for Broly", "old enemies return" and "superpowered relative of old enemy", there's practically no DB fancomics at all.

I miss this guy. I am a big Broly fan which is why I'm looking forward to this movie but I can understand why many fans are skeptical of the idea. Toriyama did flatout say "I hear these days, he’s still very popular not only in Japan, but also overseas. Based on that, my editor suggested we have Broly appear in this next movie." so Toriyama's at least being honest that Broly's popularity is the major reason why he's being brought back again. I doubt they would consider doing a reboot of a different movie character regardless of how good they feel the idea could be since the others aren't as popular.
Interestingly his descriptions of stock shitty DB fanfics all came back in official media recently (Super Broly, Freeza coming back three times, and Frost; if you count supplemental stuff there's also Golden Cooler).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.