Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Meshack » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:34 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I think there's a pull-out poster of Toyotaro's illustration too. He was posting something about it on twitter last night/this morning.
That’s Strongest Jump (Saikyo Jump). That comes out earlier in the month.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:54 pm

Meshack wrote:
prince212 wrote:
Skar wrote: I see, sorry about that. I'm against the spread of misinformation and hearsay which is why I only have faith in the main site for Dragonball news. I should've checked on there to make sure. Do you have a source that states Shueisha picked Toyotaro?
To Say that Toriyama had nothing to do with toyotaro being chosen to draw his product it’s going too far . So you are saying that Toriyama is Shueisha,s toy ?
I can take that Shueisha pick him , but I can’t take that Shueisha didn’t ask Toriyama for his approval or to choose one in between 3-4 candidates that fit into the requirements... I just can’t believe Toriyama had nothing to do with who is gonna draw his product
Yeah. I mean, Toriyama was even consulted on the Yamcha comic. To say Toriyama didn’t choose him is like saying Toriyama didn’t choose Nozawa because he’s not part of Toei but we know he did choose Nozawa. Toriyama probably had a hand in it but we don’t know.
Skar, glad to see that you’re against misinfo.

And for proof, it took a while surprisingly but here: viewtopic.php?t=41624#p1486025

And the link to the interview is also in that post.

Basically, first off, Shueisha already got the recruited the guy for the DBHeroes Victory Mission manga and later, when he requested to work on the DBS manga, Shueisha gave him the thumbs up. Nothing about Toriyama being involved.

So, no, Toriyama did not go out of his way to choose Toyotaro. He seems to lazy to do that anyway. Shueisha probabaly saw his work on DB AF, picked him up, he eventually ended up on the DBS Manga and Toriyama, as the chill guy he is, is just rolling with it.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:29 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Meshack wrote:
prince212 wrote: To Say that Toriyama had nothing to do with toyotaro being chosen to draw his product it’s going too far . So you are saying that Toriyama is Shueisha,s toy ?
I can take that Shueisha pick him , but I can’t take that Shueisha didn’t ask Toriyama for his approval or to choose one in between 3-4 candidates that fit into the requirements... I just can’t believe Toriyama had nothing to do with who is gonna draw his product
Yeah. I mean, Toriyama was even consulted on the Yamcha comic. To say Toriyama didn’t choose him is like saying Toriyama didn’t choose Nozawa because he’s not part of Toei but we know he did choose Nozawa. Toriyama probably had a hand in it but we don’t know.

And for proof, it took a while surprisingly but here: viewtopic.php?t=41624#p1486025

Basically, first off, Shueisha already got the recruited the guy for the DBHeroes Victory Mission manga and later, when he requested to work on the DBS manga, Shueisha gave him the thumbs up. Nothing about Toriyama being involved.

So, no, Toriyama did not go out of his way to choose Toyotaro. He seems to lazy to do that anyway. Shueisha probabaly saw his work on DB AF, picked him up, he eventually ended up on the DBS Manga and Toriyama, as the chill guy he is, is just rolling with it.
D: In che modo è stato scelto come successore di Akira Toriyama?
Toyotaro: Mi sono presentato alla Shueisha dicendo che volevo disegnare Dragon Ball Super e loro mi hanno dato la possibilità di occuparmi della serie legata al videogioco [Dragon Ball Heroes Victory Mission, adattamento del videogame arcade Dragon Ball Heroes pubblicato sul mensile V-Jump, ndt]. Dopo tre mesi circa mi è stato proposto di disegnare due pagine di Dragon Ball Super e da lì è cominciato tutto. Sono stato molto contento.
That doesn’t mean Shueisha didn’t ask for Toriyama,s approval regarding DBS Manga with that information you can’t make an statement like that , probably you are right And Toriyama doesn’t care , but it’s not enough .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 am

theTUN wrote:The idea for Zamasu came from Toriyama, who I'm pretty sure doesn't even know what the internet is. Apparently he hadn't seen the first Broly movie until a few months ago.
It's funny how people often dismiss Toriyama, some assume just because he forgets stuff he wrote on the original work (that ended 23 years ago), he's a hermit old man, living on his own little island, who don't care about things coming from the outward.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am

Jesus-is Lord wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:That’s a bad excuse. It doesn’t just apply to kids, humans in general have extremely bad attention spans. This explains why so many video’s on YouTube and Facebook are so short. People, especially these days, have terrible attention spans. I remember back when i was a kid, i could watch something for hours on end without getting tired of it. So that argument is invalid.
This reply is invalid because you’re using yourself as on outlier out of billions of people. Meanwhile, what they’re saying is true. Its proven for a while that normally kids tend to have way shorter attention spans than adults. And that explains why many of the pg and g rated movies are 1 hour to and 1 hour and 45 minutes long while pg-13 to r rated movies tend to be 2 hours or more most of the time.

The argument is still pretty valid and your own experiences don’t tip the scale of whats been studied and proven.

A better argument would be that a lot of the viewers of the movie will be teens and adults, not just kids, so something longer than 90 minutes isn’t really a bad idea.

But imo, i think things are changing. 2 hours are staring to become more normal for movies and kids can focus on them longer. I feel like between whats being told in this story and the wide age range of people watching the movie (not just kids), 2 hours would be the perfect length to have the movie be.
Don't tell me this movie is going to be PG? Please PLEASE don't tell me this movie is going to be pg
Watership Down was a movie aim to kids and it was more graphic than the DB series at times. Even Fusion Reborn was rated PG by the MPAA in the US for a movie that deals with Hell on Earth and has a Hitler gag moment. I would be fine if the movie is rated PG since to me the series is always in the middle between PG and PG-13.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:51 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Meshack wrote:
prince212 wrote: To Say that Toriyama had nothing to do with toyotaro being chosen to draw his product it’s going too far . So you are saying that Toriyama is Shueisha,s toy ?

Again, you're probably not getting that Shueisha could have asked Toriyama about Toyotarou even for DB Heroes Victory Mission.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:24 am

Meshack wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Meshack wrote: Yeah. I mean, Toriyama was even consulted on the Yamcha comic. To say Toriyama didn’t choose him is like saying Toriyama didn’t choose Nozawa because he’s not part of Toei but we know he did choose Nozawa. Toriyama probably had a hand in it but we don’t know.

Again, you're probably not getting that Shueisha could have asked Toriyama about Toyotarou even for DB Heroes Victory Mission.
Sure but unlike that claim, my claim has proof. Nothing suggests that Shueisha asked Toriyama about Toyotaro. In fact, it seems less likely considering Toriyama had nothing to do with the DBH Victory Mission manga. All we know is Shueisha picked up Toyotaro and nothing shows that Toriyama had anything to do about it.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:37 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Sure but unlike that claim, my claim has proof. Nothing suggests that Shueisha asked Toriyama about Toyotaro. In fact, it seems less likely considering Toriyama had nothing to do with the DBH Victory Mission manga. All we know is Shueisha picked up Toyotaro and nothing shows that Toriyama had anything to do about it.
your proof doesn’t show anything related Shueisha-Toriyama conversations . You are guessing.
You could be right you could be wrong .
I.m.o for dbh I don’t think they even asked toriyama , but for dbs , yes . But I’m not claiming any shit
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 am

prince212 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Sure but unlike that claim, my claim has proof. Nothing suggests that Shueisha asked Toriyama about Toyotaro. In fact, it seems less likely considering Toriyama had nothing to do with the DBH Victory Mission manga. All we know is Shueisha picked up Toyotaro and nothing shows that Toriyama had anything to do about it.
your proof doesn’t show anything related Shueisha-Toriyama conversations . You are guessing.
I.m.o for dbh I don’t think they even asked toriyama , but for dbs , yes . But I’m not claiming any shit
All I'm saying is, there is proof that Shueisha was involved in choosing Toyotaro yet there is none for Toriyama being involved. If Toriyama was a big part in choosing who wrote the DBS Manga, it would be public knowledge just like how its public knowledge that Toriyama personally chose Shintani as the new character designer. Yet, Toyotaro doesn’t mention Toriyama personally choosing him at all. What we did get is info telling us that Toyotaro asked Shueisha to let him write the manga and they said yes. And nothing suggests Toriyama had any involvement.

Thats all I'm saying.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:59 am

prince212 wrote:
If Toriyama had a say in Shintani being picked for the new movie then surely he was at the very least told about Toyotaro.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 am

sintzu wrote:
prince212 wrote:
If Toriyama had a say in Shintani being picked for the new movie then surely he was at the very least told about Toyotaro.
Sure, he was told about Toyotaro, but from what we know, it doesn’t seem like he had anything to do with recruiting him.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 am

prince212 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Meshack wrote: Yeah. I mean, Toriyama was even consulted on the Yamcha comic. To say Toriyama didn’t choose him is like saying Toriyama didn’t choose Nozawa because he’s not part of Toei but we know he did choose Nozawa. Toriyama probably had a hand in it but we don’t know.

D: In che modo è stato scelto come successore di Akira Toriyama?
Toyotaro: Mi sono presentato alla Shueisha dicendo che volevo disegnare Dragon Ball Super e loro mi hanno dato la possibilità di occuparmi della serie legata al videogioco [Dragon Ball Heroes Victory Mission, adattamento del videogame arcade Dragon Ball Heroes pubblicato sul mensile V-Jump, ndt]. Dopo tre mesi circa mi è stato proposto di disegnare due pagine di Dragon Ball Super e da lì è cominciato tutto. Sono stato molto contento.
That doesn’t mean Shueisha didn’t ask for Toriyama,s approval regarding DBS Manga with that information you can’t make an statement like that , probably you are right And Toriyama doesn’t care , but it’s not enough .
This translation is incorrect. It says that Toyotaro specifically asked Shueisha to work on Super, and they tested him with Heroes. I doubt he was telling lies there, so this piece of translation was probably misunderstood, as he was hired by Shueisha in 2012 and he already worked on the Resurrection F promotional manga.
He was probably chosen at that time, and so he carried over to Super’s manga. I doubt Toriyama had no involvement in this decision, but maybe Toyotaro was first chosen to do the RoF manga as he was the only one available, and Toriyama liked that as it was quite well done, so he was fine with Toyo continuing with Super.

I would have personally preferred Naho Ooishi, the mangaka responsible for Episode of Bardock, Yo Son Goku and Dragon Ball SD. In my opinion she does better boards, has a more appealing art style, understands DB pretty well too, and she understands anatomy better.
Although Toyotaro’s style is more similar to Yamamuro’s so he was fine for what was, at the time, just a comicalization of the anime.
They also probably preferred to keep Ooishi on SD, and we don’t know the behind the scenes. Maybe she was asked to do Super but refused, maybe she is slower than Toyotaro... who knows.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:21 am

I'm curious if they'll have Toyotaro try to line up his art style with Shintani's now that they're overhauling character designs. He'll stick out a bit if he keeps his Yamamuro art style and everything else moves on to Shintani's.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:09 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm curious if they'll have Toyotaro try to line up his art style with Shintani's now that they're overhauling character designs. He'll stick out a bit if he keeps his Yamamuro art style and everything else moves on to Shintani's.
I doubt he will change his style all of a sudden. His Black was quite different from how he looked in the anime, for example.
I would be very happy if he started incorporating elements from Shintani’s designs, although it doesn’t seem like he will judging by his poster for the Broly movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm curious if they'll have Toyotaro try to line up his art style with Shintani's now that they're overhauling character designs. He'll stick out a bit if he keeps his Yamamuro art style and everything else moves on to Shintani's.
Honestly I don't think he should change his style for no other reason than I don't want Shintani's designs ruined by him much like everything he touches.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 am

Nah, I don't think they'd make him change his style now, and it doesn't look like he has in the poster. At most I'd expect a costume change.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am

Draconic wrote:
Honestly I don't think he should change his style for no other reason than I don't want Shintani's designs ruined by him much like everything he touches.
What's the point of answering this guy's question with, "toyo sux lol." How is that useful for discussion? In my opinion, I don't think the art style should change in DBS manga unless they start a new manga series. It would be weird if they changed the style from one chapter to the next, besides, Toyotaro's art style was the same in the promo image he did for the Broly movie.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Skar, glad to see that you’re against misinfo.

Thanks for the info. On that very thread though, there was some discussion about the possibility of Toriyama being involved in picking Toyotaro after being presented with a few candidates. Where did the rumors begin of Toyotaro being Toriyama's "chosen successor" if Toriyama had zero involvement in choosing him?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:06 am

Skar wrote: Thanks for the info. On that very thread though, there was some discussion about the possibility of Toriyama being involved in picking Toyotaro after being presented with a few candidates. Where did the rumors begin of Toyotaro being Toriyama's "chosen successor" if Toriyama had zero involvement in choosing him?
I think it is because of an interview in which Toriyama-san said "here we have someone I can entrust Dragon Ball with without worrying" (paraphrased). So basically even with Shueisha picking Toyble, Toriyama-san afterwards still gave his approval that he really is appropriate.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am

Skar wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Skar, glad to see that you’re against misinfo.

Thanks for the info. On that very thread though, there was some discussion about the possibility of Toriyama being involved in picking Toyotaro after being presented with a few candidates. Where did the rumors begin of Toyotaro being Toriyama's "chosen successor" if Toriyama had zero involvement in choosing him?
Idk about that whole “picking candidates” thing. I've never heard about that ever. But, while everyone can take it how they want, the whole “chosen successor” line actually came from this: https://www.db-z.com/wp-content/uploads ... Page-2.jpg

I think the word “chosen” for chosen successor is a stretch for Toriyama. Its more like he’s Shueisha’s chosen successor in a way, since they were the ones who put him in the position he’s in now.

But all this comes down to one thing. Will he take over DB when Toriyama retires? In the same interview i linked before, it seemed like he was hinting at soon being able to write his own storylines.