Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:49 pm

ricky84 wrote:1. The "My Bulma" power boost was permanent. It was never stated nor impled anywhere in any media that he lost the power up.

2. The 2nd time was after training with Whis for 6 months (admitted by Goku himself and confirmed by Whis)

3. The 3rd time was after ROSAT training for 6 months and beating down Goku Black (who previously could take on Goku, Vegeta and Trunks all by himself)

4. In episode 122 when he as just a normal SSB out-performed both SSBx20 Goku from the hour special and Hit. This was explicitly acknowledged by many characters in the background.
1. No, it wasn't. That's like saying that Gohan was stronger than Raditz in the Saiyan arc because he had one of his rage tantrums. Temp rage boosts do not make a character stronger than another permanently. Vegeta himself states in the BoG movie that 'in that moment I surpassed you, Kakarott!' which means it was just that, a moment. It wasn't permanent. No one said it was except you.

2. I'll give you that one, even though it was a small window in the entire series that hardly mattered when the next enemy appeared. Still, he was better at that point.

3. Goku faced Zamasu at that point and not Black - so that data is kind of a grey area. And besides, at that point Goku is more comfortable with Kaio Ken in Blue form which makes him immensely superior to Vegeta.

4. Outperformed a Goku who achieved UI a few episodes back? You cannot claim that a Vegeta who had a spontaneous power burst is superior to SSBx20 Goku when Goku at that point can have a spontaneous UI. Goku is still better than Vegeta at that point.

Sorry, but I can give you 1 out of 4.

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
SuperVirginGod wrote:I like what nagamine said about bringing change and trying new things with Dragon ball. That part of his interview made me realize how the iconic imagery has become stale and repetitive at this point. Truly a great sign for this franchise.

Also, do you guys remember this "spoiler"
[spoiler]Broly killing beerus. It was "leaked" before Broly announcement and everyone laughed at it. What are the chances of it being true? I feel like it's more than 50% because in FT arc they mentioned god of beerus dying and what happens after it. Maybe there was a reason behind this info and they are planning to write off beerus from DB franchise[/spoiler]
This actually paves the way for Frieza to become the next God of Destruction.

What if … what if Goku isn't the target this time? What if Frieza wants Beerus dead? Hmm ...
Here's my theory
[spoiler]>Broly kills beerus
>Earth with Dragonball is destriyed by Broly
>only whis' time reversal can restore things now
>but whis disappeared because his master is no more
>frieza volunteers for the hakaishin post taking advantage of this situation
>whis is back just before 3 min and restores earth[/spoiler]

I know there are plenty of holes in it but it can see something happening like this scenario

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 pm

BrolyKale wrote:"On learning the movie was about Broly, Shintani felt nostalgic but also the pressure of living up to fan expectations. Toriyama's Broly is different from the old one, which might be wierd for old fans, but he hopes fans old and new will enjoy the film."

Well, I hope some people will be happy about that.
Interesting. All we can do is see how this new Broly characterization is. However, movie 8 Broly has established himself. It's gonna be hard to top him.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:41 pm

SuperVirginGod wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
SuperVirginGod wrote:I like what nagamine said about bringing change and trying new things with Dragon ball. That part of his interview made me realize how the iconic imagery has become stale and repetitive at this point. Truly a great sign for this franchise.

[spoiler]Broly killing beerus. It was "leaked" before Broly announcement and everyone laughed at it. What are the chances of it being true? I feel like it's more than 50% because in FT arc they mentioned god of beerus dying and what happens after it. Maybe there was a reason behind this info and they are planning to write off beerus from DB franchise[/spoiler]

What if … what if Goku isn't the target this time? What if Frieza wants Beerus dead? Hmm ...
Here's my theory

I know there are plenty of holes in it but it can see something happening like this scenario
They just did that in RF so chances are earth won't be destroyed but Freeza somehow becoming a destroyer is possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:23 pm

SuperVirginGod wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

Here's my theory

Look, want Freeza to take the role of G.o.D as much as you guys. In fact, i feel like them keeping him alive, and the fact that Goku and Vegeta don’t have the personality type to be G.o.D, the the fact that Freeza has experience for running a galaxy, he’s THE ONLY FIT for U7’s next God of Destruction provided Whis teaches him some manners.

But the whole rumor isn’t 50% likely just because of one line said in the FT arc. And you can easily say that the only reason that line was said was to explain how Black killed off all the Gods of Destruction. Thats it. Nothing hints that that line was hinting at anything else.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:11 pm

I will be surprised if this isn't another Revival of 「F」, but ... Frieza probably realized Broly's power being higher than Beerus. He wants to use him to improve and then fight the GoD while he fights Goku and Vegeta, being confident after his new training. Maybe this is where the "Broly not fighting in his own initiative" connects.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:35 pm

What if Brolli becomes the new god of destruction?

I dunno. Just a thought.

I wish they'd tell more about the plot.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:16 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:New interview with character designer Naohiro Shintani. Shows off some character sheets we haven't seen before...
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Shintani mentions that Nagamine's box office goal for this movie is to reach 10 billion yen! That's around 90 million USD. I honestly think they can make more than that, but that's a good number to start at. :lol:
Thanks for the images.
What I don't like about this is that Broly has the collar on in the first set of images then he is berserk without it in the next, finally, he is relaxed without the necklace.
Is this a sign that Broly will be calm without the collar and befriend the Z senshi? :shock:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:17 pm

So is there really no other movie news in V Jump besides the monthly manga chapter?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:59 pm

LightBing wrote:I have a feeling Broly will end up being a good(ish) guy by the end of this. Freeza has stepped into the role of recurring villain; Broly will become the unreliable ally who lives far away with it's cute alien girlfriend. He sometimes shows up to help but he can lose control and become the enemy. He will be become our Hulk.
Broly as a good guy? No, sorry, but that would ruin his character. Broly has to be evil, I could accept him ending as a anti-hero (though that would just be another Vegeta)
Nickolaidas wrote:No, it wasn't. That's like saying that Gohan was stronger than Raditz in the Saiyan arc because he had one of his rage tantrums. Temp rage boosts do not make a character stronger than another permanently. Vegeta himself states in the BoG movie that 'in that moment I surpassed you, Kakarott!' which means it was just that, a moment. It wasn't permanent. No one said it was except you.
I believe you forgot that Super (anime and manga) ignores the past movies continuity (BoG and RoF)
sintzu wrote:
Noah wrote:The original manga remains untouched and until the day Toei states an official continuity to the series, people can pretty much ignore the absurdities that may come on the future.
Even if they do state an official continuity people can still ignore everything outside the original manga as it was written 2 decades ago and will always remain as its own and complete product, regardless of what's coming out now.
Sure, although that would be like living in a island isolated from society :D
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Noah wrote: Sure, although that would be like living in a island isolated from society :D
That may be a better alternative than dealing with certain societies (and franchises).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Broly making it out of this and perhaps becoming apart of the main cast in some way would be awesome; or at the very least, he makes amends.

Super hasn't really killed any villains for the exception of Zamasu... and Freeza - who winds up getting revived, anyways.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Broly doesn't have to be evil. And I don't see him being killed. I don't see Broly becoming an anti-hero or even an anti-villain. I see him being a Neutral force. Like how Beerus is supposed to be. I've said it before, Broly doesn't have the same grudge as everyone else does. Broly grew up alone on a savage planet. He's only being used by his father, Paragus. Once the collar is broken and he calms down from his rage, he has no reason to keep fighting the group. Broly will likely end up leaving of his own volition, his only desire to be alone.

Of course, Cheyle will seek to join him. After all, he's a big strong hunk. 8)
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:11 pm

I'm sorry, Broly is already established as a "cool evil villain." Any destruction of this hype that has established him as a megastar would kill his status. :thumbdown:

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 pm

They label him as a force to be reckoned with. Nothing about his ambitions and over all alignment has been set in stone. It doesn't kill anything.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Miracles wrote:I'm sorry, Broly is already established as a "cool evil villain." Any destruction of this hype that has established him as a megastar would kill his status. :thumbdown:
Noah wrote:
LightBing wrote:I have a feeling Broly will end up being a good(ish) guy by the end of this. Freeza has stepped into the role of recurring villain; Broly will become the unreliable ally who lives far away with it's cute alien girlfriend. He sometimes shows up to help but he can lose control and become the enemy. He will be become our Hulk.
Broly as a good guy? No, sorry, but that would ruin his character. Broly has to be evil, I could accept him ending as a anti-hero (though that would just be another Vegeta)
Thats what people said when it was revealed that they would bring back Freeza for the T.o.P. It would ruin his status. Now he’s more popular than ever and he’s even survived.

Nothing says that Broly HAS to be evil. In fact, there’s nothing that makes him “evil” except the control of Paragus which they hint will be a factor in the movie. By himself, Broly’s most extreme is a chaotic neutral.

Most Broly fans care more about seeing Broly body people and less about who’s side he’s bodying. So they’ll accept it eventually. Broly isn’t established as “cool evil villain”. He’s established as “Buff Berserker Saiyan”. As long as he’s still that, chances are he’ll keep his status.
kudo6000 wrote:They label him as a force to be reckoned with. Nothing about his ambitions and over all alignment has been set in stone. It doesn't kill anything.
This
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
ricky84 wrote:1. The "My Bulma" power boost was permanent. It was never stated nor impled anywhere in any media that he lost the power up.

2. The 2nd time was after training with Whis for 6 months (admitted by Goku himself and confirmed by Whis)

3. The 3rd time was after ROSAT training for 6 months and beating down Goku Black (who previously could take on Goku, Vegeta and Trunks all by himself)

4. In episode 122 when he as just a normal SSB out-performed both SSBx20 Goku from the hour special and Hit. This was explicitly acknowledged by many characters in the background.
1. No, it wasn't. That's like saying that Gohan was stronger than Raditz in the Saiyan arc because he had one of his rage tantrums. Temp rage boosts do not make a character stronger than another permanently. Vegeta himself states in the BoG movie that 'in that moment I surpassed you, Kakarott!' which means it was just that, a moment. It wasn't permanent. No one said it was except you.

2. I'll give you that one, even though it was a small window in the entire series that hardly mattered when the next enemy appeared. Still, he was better at that point.

3. Goku faced Zamasu at that point and not Black - so that data is kind of a grey area. And besides, at that point Goku is more comfortable with Kaio Ken in Blue form which makes him immensely superior to Vegeta.

4. Outperformed a Goku who achieved UI a few episodes back? You cannot claim that a Vegeta who had a spontaneous power burst is superior to SSBx20 Goku when Goku at that point can have a spontaneous UI. Goku is still better than Vegeta at that point.

Sorry, but I can give you 1 out of 4.
1. I'm referring to the Super version, NOT the movie version. You lose here

3. Goku couldn't use kkx10 for more than a few seconds in that arc. Either way, Vegeta beat a villain that previously was taking on him, Goku and Trunks all by himself. Goku has no comparable feats in the arc.

4. You are missing the point here :roll: . Goku can't use UI at will and it isn't guaranteed that it will come out everytime he's pushed into a corner

Its like you are reaching for arguments at this point.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm

kudo6000 wrote:Broly making it out of this and perhaps becoming apart of the main cast in some way would be awesome; or at the very least, he makes amends.

Super hasn't really killed any villains for the exception of Zamasu... and Freeza - who winds up getting revived, anyways.
Super has virtually no real villains except Black/Zamasu and Freeza.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Reading the latest interview, I don't like how they feel the movie has to be 90 minutes.

One Piece Strong World was 113 minutes and One Piece Gold was 120 minutes.

So why can't we have a two hour Dragon Ball movie too? At least they said they pushed it past 90 minutes but they did say by a little bit.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Miracles wrote:I'm sorry, Broly is already established as a "cool evil villain." Any destruction of this hype that has established him as a megastar would kill his status. :thumbdown:
Also we have too many Saiyans that are already part of the main cast, not including the ones from U6.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?