Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 am

sintzu wrote:It's great to finally see SsjG Vegeta in animated form. :clap: Does anyone know what it says above and on the side of his image ?
The part above Vegeta is just expressing surprise over him being SSG, and the text on the left talks about how SSG Vegeta has only appeared in the manga until now, and is making his first animated appearance in this movie.

In other words, this whole scan really has no new information; it's just fluff text (unless Broli getting stronger as he fights counts as information...wow, really?! :lol: )
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:33 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: My point stands: it's a Super film, make music for it and leave Z shit behind. But that's a moot point since Broly is the focus this time around so any real attempt at a new direction was dead a long time ago. Fuck, might as well fire Sumitomo and just recycle Kikuchi for extra pandering points.
You'd be surprised by the amount of people that actually want that to happen.
I'm fully aware of how low people's standards are for Dragon Ball.
Look, lets be real. People watch dragon ball to feel like a kid again. Every fan has their reasons why they are still here. Some do honestly enjoy this.

At some point, when are you folk just going to get tired and drop what is obviously not pleasing you.

There is criticism and then there just here to be negative about something you -5 expectations for and -10 hope.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:41 am

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:My point stands: it's a Super film, make music for it and leave Z shit behind. But that's a moot point since Broly is the focus this time around so any real attempt at a new direction was dead a long time ago. Fuck, might as well fire Sumitomo and just recycle Kikuchi for extra pandering points.

And before someone throws the ever stupid "you haven't seen the film yet!" argument, if your movie is bringing back a raging moron from the past, says it's doing something different with him then spends the entire big reveal trailer showing him acting like the exact same raging moron of the past, your message has less credibility than EAs.
Exactly. Super lacks something that GT despite all its problems had not: the fear of being its own thing

People may say GT attempted to mix DB concepts with Z and that's a valid complaint, but I don't recall this series regressing characters to their old outfits nor using remixed old themes/songs to appeal to fans nostalgia.

Super is afraid of aging its own characters, giving them new outfits/new designs. This series is always relying on the sucess Z had. Which explains why have a lot of callbacks in both medias that make fans roll eyes nowadays.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Noah wrote:I'm glad the manga is ending soon, so we can direct our attention to this movie until the second trailer release.
What are you talking about? The manga is going to adapt the Broly movie and very likely will continue the story
Please, that will not be a continuation of the manga and yes a promotion of the movie like we had in RoF (2015).
Not a good comparison. Since Gt ended right after dragon ball ended, hard to cash in on 20 year nostalgia and it did try. and GT regressed Goku physically to being a child which might be worse than giving him his old gi.

super is just inconsistent with its movement. Super went far outward than GT ever did with universes, god hierarchies and new characters that actually stick around but it also goes back more than it ever did. Bringing back Freeza, though GT did that too and far worse bringing every villain back.

Are you sure, you want to keep this statement

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:50 am

Herms’ translation of the full thing.
”The more he fights, the stronger he gets!! The fearsome monster Broly!!!

Broly fights one fight after another in this latest movie!! Besides Goku and Vegeta, it seems he’ll bare his fangs against Freeza too!! What’s more, he powers up each time he fights. He goes through super-fast transcendent evolution that truly personifies the Saiyans!!

The blazing flames of battle
The awakening Saiyan instincts!!!

The “strongest enemy in history” appears in the first DBS movie—Broly shakes the world!!

What? Vegeta goes Super Saiyan God!!

Although it appeared in the Dragon Ball Super manga drawn by Toyotaro-sensei, this is its first appearance in the anime!! Keep your eyes peeled as Vegeta transforms into “Red” and “Blue”.”

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:50 am

ricky84 wrote:
Draconic wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Beerus beating Broly is just as bad of an idea as Broly destroying himself. It would be yet another example of the gods fixing the Z-crews problems like in the ending of the Black arc, killing any tension whatsoever.
If Broly isn't just a threat for the Z Warriors but to the entire Universe 7, there's no reason Beerus shouldn't get involved.
I don't mind Beerus getting involved, its him winning that would be a problem especially since DBS Broly was said to he power beyond God of Destruction tier according to a guide.
1.The guides are often wrong,contradictory or bring things not mentioned anywhere.
2.So far there is no official guide for dbs.
3.The only thing which comes close to what you said is promotional material which is often wrong and even then it doesn’t outright say broly is stronger.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:56 am

Vegeta will PROBABLY have some flashback of turning into SSG back when he trained alone with Whis and against Goku, and will claim it's a rare sight as he never liked to use this form because it always reminds him of the Super Saiyan God ritual that is against his nature of relying on others' powers. He'll only use it after his SSJ will be proven weak against "False Super Saiyan" mode Broly.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:03 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:There will be a trailer at Jump Anime Festa. Anyone know when Jump Anime Festa is held?

EDIT: Nevermind, Yonkou answered my question. Jump Anime Festa takes place between 25th of November - 2nd of December. Damn. I can't wait until late November for a new trailer. :lol: I was expecting a new trailer around late October. Ah well.
So the trailer comes out after November's V Jump...

Oh no. I'm worried we're gonna get a BvS trailer 2 (the Doomsday one) type deal... /:

Some of the marketing has just been odd for this movie, things you'd ecpect big deal over they've just casually dropped, Broly Anger hadn't been revealed in any sort of capacity yet they revealed the Ultimate Sodliers figure beforehand. Same for battle damaged Goku.
Full Power Broly hasn't been shown in a trailer yet... But they've already shown him in design sheets, posters, stickers, art cards, figures, life size cardboard cutouts, life size statues etc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:10 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So the trailer comes out after November's V Jump... I'm worried we're gonna get a BvS trailer 2 (the Doomsday one) type deal... /:

Some of the marketing has just been odd for this movie, things you'd expect big deal over they've just casually dropped.
I don't think it'll matter as by then we'll probably have seen everything the movie has to offer.

Look at how MUI Goku was shown, it was in a game scan, not the actual anime.
Green_Goblin wrote:Vegeta will PROBABLY have some flashback of turning into SSG back when he trained alone with Whis and against Goku, and will claim it's a rare sight as he never liked to use this form because it always reminds him of the Super Saiyan God ritual that is against his nature of relying on others' powers. He'll only use it after his SSJ will be proven weak against "False Super Saiyan" mode Broly.
I agree we'll probably get some explanation to when he got it but I don't think he'll comment on why he didn't use it before. In Super's anime he just used Ssj2 once against Beerus but he never said why he didn't use it again, he just didn't.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:37 am

sintzu wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:Vegeta will PROBABLY have some flashback of turning into SSG back when he trained alone with Whis and against Goku, and will claim it's a rare sight as he never liked to use this form because it always reminds him of the Super Saiyan God ritual that is against his nature of relying on others' powers. He'll only use it after his SSJ will be proven weak against "False Super Saiyan" mode Broly.
I agree we'll probably get some explanation to when he got it but I don't think he'll comment on why he didn't use it before. In Super's anime he just used Ssj2 once against Beerus but he never said why he didn't use it again, he just didn't.
I was referring to Vegeta's usage of SSJ and SSJ2 in the Tournament of Power against the likes of Anilaza.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: So the trailer comes out after November's V Jump...

Oh no. I'm worried we're gonna get a BvS trailer 2 (the Doomsday one) type deal... /:

Some of the marketing has just been odd for this movie, things you'd ecpect big deal over they've just casually dropped, Broly Anger hadn't been revealed in any sort of capacity yet they revealed the Ultimate Sodliers figure beforehand. Same for battle damaged Goku.
Full Power Broly hasn't been shown in a trailer yet... But they've already shown him in design sheets, posters, stickers, art cards, figures, life size cardboard cutouts, life size statues etc.
Full Power Broly isn't really a spoiler, though. Not much point trying to hide something people have known about for 25 years. If it was notably different than his normal Legendary Super Saiyan self then yeah, but it's identical. They were really up front with Kale too.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:22 pm

I was reading Nagamine interview about the Movie and he mentions how the tingly feel in the back to turn SSJ comes from Toriyama.
I found it weird this wasn't in the manga, because it always felt like such a big thing to come out from Toei and I guess I was right.
Maybe it would be fine to keep them the same, but transforming or firing beams from your hand are special things, so I want to make the staging for those moments special, too. The moment when I really came to that realization was when Toriyama gave us a manual during Dragon Ball Super about how to turn Super Saiyan. It said that the character gets tingles in their back, then imagines that sensation spreading outward and becomes Super Saiyan. I thought, “This is it!!” We can’t create this without using our physical senses as a basis.
Either Toyotaro didn't get this information from Toriyama or he thought it was stupid, but we're talking about the guy who thought Roshi dodging Jiren punches was a smart idea so...
Hopefully this movie will talk about the S-Cells.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:35 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Trailer for Latin America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPSZLSZqHfA
Fox LA has recently uploaded the trailer in HQ :
https://youtu.be/V5zfYg9ZiiQ

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:01 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I was reading Nagamine interview about the Movie and he mentions how the tingly feel in the back to turn SSJ comes from Toriyama.
I found it weird this wasn't in the manga, because it always felt like such a big thing to come out from Toei and I guess I was right.
Maybe it would be fine to keep them the same, but transforming or firing beams from your hand are special things, so I want to make the staging for those moments special, too. The moment when I really came to that realization was when Toriyama gave us a manual during Dragon Ball Super about how to turn Super Saiyan. It said that the character gets tingles in their back, then imagines that sensation spreading outward and becomes Super Saiyan. I thought, “This is it!!” We can’t create this without using our physical senses as a basis.
Either Toyotaro didn't get this information from Toriyama or he thought it was stupid, but we're talking about the guy who thought Roshi dodging Jiren punches was a smart idea so...
:lol:

Just like everybody thought that the god of destruction and Kaioshins being a pair was manga only until the anime said the same later.
It would be wise to wait and see if this is the case in the manga too.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Miracles wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I was reading Nagamine interview about the Movie and he mentions how the tingly feel in the back to turn SSJ comes from Toriyama.
:lol:

Just like everybody thought that the god of destruction and Kaioshins being a pair was manga only until the anime said the same later.
It would be wise to wait and see if this is the case in the manga too.
However, many did think super saiyan blue evolution was a toei edition and they were right.

But i am surprise that omen was in the manga.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 pm

The Brazilian Portuguese dub is in progress: http://anmtv.xpg.com.br/dragon-ball-sup ... no-brasil/

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Noah wrote:Nah, this is just fanservice at it's best and from storytelling point it doesn't add anything worth.
Dragon Ball Super as a whole does not add much so how the appearance of Gogeta would/could be worse?
Don't be silly, mate. We're talking about an animated show that had 131 episodes, even though is often seen as a merchandising series, it had concepts like Hakaishins, God forms, other universes, Angels, Time Rings and etc. some that were introduced in the previous movies, but expanded on the show.
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Too... Much... Fan... Service... For adding Gogeta? May I remind you what this movie is called? And why the idea was brought up?

The movie itself IS fanservice.
My point still stands, mate. I'm basing myself on the trailer that is not all devoted to "hype" and seems to have the purpose of expanding even more the Saiyan lore and Broly's character. Gogeta would be just a "meh" addition to have fanboys screaming like girls on the theaters for no reason.
Dragono wrote:Not a good comparison. Since GT ended right after Dragon Ball ended, hard to cash in on 20 year nostalgia and it did try. GT regressed Goku physically to being a child which might be worse than giving him his old gi.

Super is just inconsistent with its movement. Super went far outward than GT ever did with universes, god hierarchies and new characters that actually stick around but it also goes back more than it ever did. Bringing back Freeza, though GT did that too and far worse bringing every villain back.

Are you sure, you want to keep this statement?
Not even close, as it doesn't matter much if they regressed him physically having SSJ4 later to fill this blank. Also is not only about his gi, Goku regressed on Super as a character too.

What the deal with universes if the main cast barely explored any of them and in the end just served to throw everyone on a ring for another freaking tournament?

New characters you mean Jaco that only serves for comic reliefs, Beerus and Whis whose presence sapped all the tension in two of four arcs?

Don't see how was anything worse as these villains were quickly disposed by the heroes and the focus was later brought to Super 17. After RoF (movie) we had to swallow Freeza on Super for a half hundred of episodes. Not to mention Frost that was nothing but a clone without his charisma.
gregoryluis09 wrote:The Brazilian Portuguese dub is in progress: http://anmtv.xpg.com.br/dragon-ball-sup ... no-brasil/
That's excellent, though I would prefer this movie to be released this year yet. I wonder if Dado Monteiro or Cassius Romero and Ricardo Bressan will return to reprise their roles as Broly and Parugus.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Noah wrote:it had concepts like Hakaishins, God forms, other universes, Angels, Time Rings and etc. some that were introduced in the previous movies, but expanded on the show.
Mostly "meh" stuff that "it had" indeed but they were not used to their fullest potential. And again, how the appearance of Gogeta would/could be worse than all those things you mentioned?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Grimlock wrote:Mostly "meh" stuff that "it had" indeed but they were not used to their fullest potential. And again, how the appearance of Gogeta would/could be worse than all those things you mentioned?
Never said it could be worse, just that it doesn't add much to the plot, the same way when Vegetto returned in the FT arc.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Noah wrote:Never said it could be worse, just that it doesn't add much to the plot, the same way when Vegetto returned in the FT arc.
Exactly, and also like you said, a "revival series" of 131 episodes with barely interesting stuff, Gogeta would hardly cause any "harm". His appearance would be the least of the problems. Well, depending on the execution and context, he could come for the better.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~