Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dragono » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:54 am

Noah wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Noah wrote:Nah, this is just fanservice at it's best and from storytelling point it doesn't add anything worth.
Dragon Ball Super as a whole does not add much so how the appearance of Gogeta would/could be worse?
Don't be silly, mate. We're talking about an animated show that had 131 episodes, even though is often seen as a merchandising series, it had concepts like Hakaishins, God forms, other universes, Angels, Time Rings and etc. some that were introduced in the previous movies, but expanded on the show.
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Too... Much... Fan... Service... For adding Gogeta? May I remind you what this movie is called? And why the idea was brought up?

The movie itself IS fanservice.
My point still stands, mate. I'm basing myself on the trailer that is not all devoted to "hype" and seems to have the purpose of expanding even more the Saiyan lore and Broly's character. Gogeta would be just a "meh" addition to have fanboys screaming like girls on the theaters for no reason.
Dragono wrote:Not a good comparison. Since GT ended right after Dragon Ball ended, hard to cash in on 20 year nostalgia and it did try. GT regressed Goku physically to being a child which might be worse than giving him his old gi.

Super is just inconsistent with its movement. Super went far outward than GT ever did with universes, god hierarchies and new characters that actually stick around but it also goes back more than it ever did. Bringing back Freeza, though GT did that too and far worse bringing every villain back.

Are you sure, you want to keep this statement?
Not even close, as it doesn't matter much if they regressed him physically having SSJ4 later to fill this blank. Also is not only about his gi, Goku regressed on Super as a character too.

What the deal with universes if the main cast barely explored any of them and in the end just served to throw everyone on a ring for another freaking tournament?

New characters you mean Jaco that only serves for comic reliefs, Beerus and Whis whose presence sapped all the tension in two of four arcs?

Don't see how was anything worse as these villains were quickly disposed by the heroes and the focus was later brought to Super 17. After RoF (movie) we had to swallow Freeza on Super for a half hundred of episodes. Not to mention Frost that was nothing but a clone without his charisma.
gregoryluis09 wrote:The Brazilian Portuguese dub is in progress: http://anmtv.xpg.com.br/dragon-ball-sup ... no-brasil/
That's excellent, though I would prefer this movie to be released this year yet. I wonder if Dado Monteiro or Cassius Romero and Ricardo Bressan will return to reprise their roles as Broly and Parugus.
You are literally making excuses for gt reusing stuff because most of it never went anywhere or mattered, while complaining about super not doing anything interesting with the new stuff it added to diminish the fact that it was new stuff which was argument you imposed.
You call frost a clone without freeza's charisma yet you use super 17 to defend them bringing back every villain from the past becuase he was the focus even though super 17 is literally 17 not even a clone. You claim goku having ssj4 makes up for him being turned into child which did regress his character as well because he started acting like a kid in episode 7 specifically and you ignore the fact that super saiyan 4 was revealed in episode 34 when he was turned into a kid in episode 1 nearly 33 episodes later, half of Gt's total and wasn't even super saiyan 4 all the time for the rest of the series

Now, do you see how biased you sound. But i will give you a fair shot to prove your point, name one new thing GT added to the franchise that super did not add and i will say you are correct.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 am

New scene. Nothing interesting though.

Come on, leak some scene related to the possible Bardock and Goku or about the past of the Saiyans so I can get interested.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:53 am

The CG action is a huge step up from BoG and ‘F’. It’s also not finished yet, so it’ll look even better in the final film.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:30 am

gregoryluis09 wrote:The Brazilian Portuguese dub is in progress: http://anmtv.xpg.com.br/dragon-ball-sup ... no-brasil/
Good to know. Probably they will get the original voices for Paragus and Broly too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:35 am

Grimlock wrote:New scene. Nothing interesting though.

Come on, leak some scene related to the possible Bardock and Goku or about the past of the Saiyans so I can get interested.
Same. My concern about this movie is it's going to be low on actual plot and the new characters are only window dressing. A bunch of fighting is just that without meaningful context, motivations and stakes.

I question the need to have a cgi scene unless it's something that actually has more impact via cgi. Toei tends to be pretty good about their Precure cgi usage so unless it's different staff I don't know how it translates to other properties.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The CG action is a huge step up from BoG and ‘F’. It’s also not finished yet, so it’ll look even better in the final film.
The CG in the new movie is bad, but in FnF was much worse. Like a PS2 game.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:09 pm

It's possible that the CG action scene could get traced over later on to turn it into traditional animation. It's pretty common and happens in movies like Battle of Gods. Yoshihiro Kanno's scene from that film had 3D models of Goku and Beerus fighting through the city, but was traced over for the final cut.
[spoiler]

Image[/spoiler]

Similarly, One Piece Film Z (directed by the director for this new Broly film, Tatsuya Nagamine) has this awesome scene which uses CG, but when the characters are closer in the shot, the CG is traced over so that it'll look like traditional animation. I feel like Nagamine will use the same approach for this Broly movie, and what we saw in the trailer was only temporary.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Dragono wrote:You are literally making excuses for GT reusing stuff because most of it never went anywhere or mattered, while complaining about Super not doing anything interesting with the new stuff it added to diminish the fact that it was new stuff which was argument you imposed.
You call Frost a clone without Freeza's charisma yet you use Super 17 to defend them bringing back every villain from the past becuase he was the focus even though Super 17 is literally 17 not even a clone. You claim goku having SSJ4 makes up for him being turned into child which did regress his character as well because he started acting like a kid in Episode 7 specifically and you ignore the fact that Super Saiyan 4 was revealed in Episode 34 when he was turned into a kid in Episode 1 nearly 33 episodes later, half of GT's total and wasn't even Super Saiyan 4 all the time for the rest of the series.

Now, do you see how biased you sound. But I will give you a fair shot to prove your point, name one new thing GT added to the franchise that super did not add and I will say you are correct.
First off: you don't to need to quote my whole post having an edit option, just cut the part I replied you and avoid quoting other people needlessly.

There is no excuses, GT is much as bad as Super, but it was a bad show trying to be something new, not a bad show trying to rely on Z sucess. GT also had the same problems as Super by having interesting concepts and not going anywhere with them (the Shadow Dragons and the Tournament of Power comes to mind)

You just missed my point, cause I didn't defend Super 17. I just said that the comparison of bringing back Freeza for the sixth and the seventh time with the plot of villains coming back from hell (for the second time) is non sense as these enemies did not stood for long as him.

No, you implied that you didn't like Goku regressing physically which I replied that SSJ4 was used to fill this blank later. Also him turning into a kid didn't regressed his character much at all, sure he had a excuse to be childish at times, but GT Goku is closer to his characterization in Z while Super Goku was a failed attempt to be the character Toriyama wanted: a good guy but with a big selfish streak.

The biased thing is only on your mind, if you can't deal with people addressing negative points of things you like, then it's a not issue for me to solve.
Grimlock wrote:New scene
It's only my impression or Goku is fighting with Broly on the same place he fought Freeza in RoF?
Last edited by Noah on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Does anyone have a link to where Broly's yellow-eyed state is referred to as a Rage form?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:26 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone have a link to where Broly's yellow-eyed state is referred to as a Rage form?

Herms translated it from the character design sheets

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1023047006829170689

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:29 pm

I hate CGI, I wished the movie was full on hand animation. Sometimes those special effects come off as cheap or clay models.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Glen300 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Does anyone have a link to where Broly's yellow-eyed state is referred to as a Rage form?

Herms translated it from the character design sheets

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1023047006829170689
Thank you kindly sir :)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:It's possible that the CG action scene could get traced over later on to turn it into traditional animation. It's pretty common and happens in movies like Battle of Gods. Yoshihiro Kanno's scene from that film had 3D models of Goku and Beerus fighting through the city, but was traced over for the final cut.
[spoiler]

Image[/spoiler]

Similarly, One Piece Film Z (directed by the director for this new Broly film, Tatsuya Nagamine) has this awesome scene which uses CG, but when the characters are closer in the shot, the CG is traced over so that it'll look like traditional animation. I feel like Nagamine will use the same approach for this Broly movie, and what we saw in the trailer was only temporary.
That's quite intriguing. I couldn't tell that at all.

Was the same done with the AMAZING sequence between Super Saiyan Goku and Beerus, or was that all Shida being Shida? :mrgreen:

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:12 pm

This scene is taking place in the same landscape Resurrection 'F' did.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:

This scene is taking place in the same landscape Resurrection 'F' did.
Ajay thinks it's an unfinished scene and they just dropped the RoF assets in. I agree that that stuff is probably just there as placeholders. I kinda doubt they'll keep those Goku and Broly models either since it doesn't look like their hair even moves.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Noah wrote:
Dragono wrote:You are literally making excuses for GT reusing stuff because most of it never went anywhere or mattered, while complaining about Super not doing anything interesting with the new stuff it added to diminish the fact that it was new stuff which was argument you imposed.
You call Frost a clone without Freeza's charisma yet you use Super 17 to defend them bringing back every villain from the past becuase he was the focus even though Super 17 is literally 17 not even a clone. You claim goku having SSJ4 makes up for him being turned into child which did regress his character as well because he started acting like a kid in Episode 7 specifically and you ignore the fact that Super Saiyan 4 was revealed in Episode 34 when he was turned into a kid in Episode 1 nearly 33 episodes later, half of GT's total and wasn't even Super Saiyan 4 all the time for the rest of the series.

Now, do you see how biased you sound. But I will give you a fair shot to prove your point, name one new thing GT added to the franchise that super did not add and I will say you are correct.
First off: you don't to need to quote my whole post having an edit option, just cut the part I replied you and avoid quoting other people needlessly.

There is no excuses, GT is much as bad as Super, but it was a bad show trying to be something new, not a bad show trying to rely on Z sucess. GT also had the same problems as Super by having interesting concepts and not going anywhere with them (the Shadow Dragons and the Tournament of Power comes to mind)

You just missed my point, cause I didn't defend Super 17. I just said that the comparison of bringing back Freeza for the sixth and the seventh time with the plot of villains coming back from hell (for the second time) is non sense as these enemies did not stood for long as him.

No, you implied that you didn't like Goku regressing physically which I replied that SSJ4 was used to fill this blank later. Also him turning into a kid didn't regressed his character much at all, sure he had a excuse to be childish at times, but GT Goku is closer to his characterization in Z while Super Goku was a failed attempt to be the character Toriyama wanted: a good guy but with a big selfish streak.

The biased thing is only on your mind, if you can't deal with people addressing negative points of things you like, then it's a not issue for me to solve.
Grimlock wrote:New scene
It's only my impression or Goku is fighting with Broly on the same place he fought Freeza in RoF?
1. I like editing this way, too much time for the other way.

2. You literally laid out a defense for everything GT reused. How is that not making excuses for it?

3.Time limit is irrelevant. They brought them back, they brought everyone back, period just to lead up to a character that is literally the same as we had before. Plus that is still defending it.

4.An excuse Childish at times? Do you hear yourself? You just gave an excuse for something people including you would bash super for doing even once because Goku wasn't flanderize most of the time.

5.Thats because you said GT never regressed clothing when it regressed the mc's age, you the claimed it didn't matter because it didn't mess with his character whcih is again defending it.

6.You said super tried to rely soley on z's success when GT tried to be something new, but when i told you those new things super did, you said they weren't done well which was never the argument at hand, hence why i said you were being biased.

Because be real, if you weren't, you wouldn't have even used GT as an example, when it was accused of being a rip off of dragon ball from kid Goku, to the black star dragon ball arc which is literally the dragon hunt arc with new skin, baby who is a member of a filer race, 17 literally coming back as a villain and shadow dragons being based off a buu saga line.

Super was inconsistent in what it wanted to do, that i don't know how you can make any statements around it. It does throw in callbacks to the past, but it also adds new things as well. We move forward with new expansions more than GT did, but then we go back to freeza, trunks and broly. Ajay pointed this out in his video.

GT was consistent in what it wanted to be and that was never to be something new. Not one arc in its 64 episode run-time moved us forward in terms of expansion. It was always going for stories to tell. I have no issue with that but you do. Hence why i said you are biased.

Had you just said, super has an issue of going back to the past and stopped right there, id agree. But using Gt as an example was not a good idea unless you plan to defend them which you did otherwise, you wouldn't have give me explanations on every point i said while also saying super's new things weren't good but ignoring they were new,

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:08 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: So the trailer comes out after November's V Jump...

Oh no. I'm worried we're gonna get a BvS trailer 2 (the Doomsday one) type deal... /:

Some of the marketing has just been odd for this movie, things you'd ecpect big deal over they've just casually dropped, Broly Anger hadn't been revealed in any sort of capacity yet they revealed the Ultimate Sodliers figure beforehand. Same for battle damaged Goku.
Full Power Broly hasn't been shown in a trailer yet... But they've already shown him in design sheets, posters, stickers, art cards, figures, life size cardboard cutouts, life size statues etc.
Full Power Broly isn't really a spoiler, though. Not much point trying to hide something people have known about for 25 years. If it was notably different than his normal Legendary Super Saiyan self then yeah, but it's identical. They were really up front with Kale too.
Not arguing that, just it seems a bit odd to me that they haven't shown any footage of him yet in Full Power but have splurged all marketing on him in that state. Even got a guy to dress up as him!

Unless Full Power Broly's fight is directly linked with a spoiler?

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Some "new" character sheets.

The creature will also appear in the beginning of the movie.
Feels over Reals.

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:49 pm

Naked Paragus?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Kikono is the same character from DB Minus.
[spoiler]https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1033509686153072641[/spoiler]

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:49 pm

Welp.... I guess arachnophobes won't be giving their money to the movie :P