Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Dont know why people are pissed about the possibilities of gogeta appearing in the movie. Gogeta pisses yall up, but not BROLY?...

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:38 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Dont know why people are pissed about the possibilities of gogeta appearing in the movie. Gogeta pisses yall up, but not BROLY?...
They were when it was first announced. Well, a good third of the people here were. 1/3 were elated. And the rest, like myself, more interested to see how Toriyama adapts Broly.

For Gogeta... It wouldn't make me mad, just I don't know if I actually believe him to be in the film is all.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 pm

I’m pretty sure an official statement about the movie said to expect tons of fanservice. Like this shouldn’t be a shocker especially with all the hints dropped before this datamine

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:45 pm

How the hell can Gogeta last even 5 seconds against a dude who's stronger than GoDs?

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:57 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:How the hell can Gogeta last even 5 seconds against a dude who's stronger than GoDs?
The same way ui goku beat a mortal above a hakaishin in less than 30 seconds in db time.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:I'm not keen on Gogeta. I don't get people who are excited about him becoming 'canon', he was never as cool or interesting as Vegetto.
This! 100%! Which makes me wonder, are these the same people who were downplaying Gogeta back in the days to the ridiculous point where they believed even a SSJ3 Version of Gogeta can’t beat Buutenks, or are they another part of the fanbase entirely? Who knows. I don’t know what fans want anymore, they seem to contradict themselves the entire time.

MUI Goku>Vegito Blue>Gogeta Blue.

Fact.

I HEAVILY despise the need for a fusion in this movie when, you know, Ultra Instinct is a thing! a form that far trumps any version of fusion.

But to actually use an inferior form of fusion (in every possible way no-less!) is actually incomprehensible to me. And why fans “like” it so much DESPITE it’s illogical and irrational fanservice concept is another thing that’s also permanently beyond me.

I am beyond pissed at Toriyama’s decisions here. It’s the most useless thing he could possibly do.

MUI is not inherently above fusion

Mui Goku (ToP) was > Vegito Blue (Zamasu arc)

That does NOT mean he would be stronger than ToP Vegito Blue or Broly Movie Blue Gogeta
He would win. That’s what it does. It’s the superior battle form. Even if SSJ Blue Vegito had a higher powerlevel, MUI Goku would still beat him. Ultra Instinct is just that untouchable. Vegito would be too slow, since he has to think about attacking. MUI Goku would simply be too fast for him.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:How the hell can Gogeta last even 5 seconds against a dude who's stronger than GoDs?

Because Gogeta would also be stronger than GoDs

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:07 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: This! 100%! Which makes me wonder, are these the same people who were downplaying Gogeta back in the days to the ridiculous point where they believed even a SSJ3 Version of Gogeta can’t beat Buutenks, or are they another part of the fanbase entirely? Who knows. I don’t know what fans want anymore, they seem to contradict themselves the entire time.

MUI Goku>Vegito Blue>Gogeta Blue.

Fact.

I HEAVILY despise the need for a fusion in this movie when, you know, Ultra Instinct is a thing! a form that far trumps any version of fusion.

But to actually use an inferior form of fusion (in every possible way no-less!) is actually incomprehensible to me. And why fans “like” it so much DESPITE it’s illogical and irrational fanservice concept is another thing that’s also permanently beyond me.

I am beyond pissed at Toriyama’s decisions here. It’s the most useless thing he could possibly do.

MUI is not inherently above fusion

Mui Goku (ToP) was > Vegito Blue (Zamasu arc)

That does NOT mean he would be stronger than ToP Vegito Blue or Broly Movie Blue Gogeta
He would win. That’s what it does. It’s the superior battle form. Even if SSJ Blue Vegito had a higher powerlevel, MUI Goku would still beat him. Ultra Instinct is just that untouchable. Vegito would be too slow, since he has to think about attacking. MUI Goku would simply be too fast for him.
Jiren proves you wrong. Mui isnt untouchable and a person of similar level may infact do something.

And here i thought the argument of UI being untouchable had died.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Dont know why people are pissed about the possibilities of gogeta appearing in the movie. Gogeta pisses yall up, but not BROLY?...
He did...like...a lot of people....like...it was meltdown....a big one. People have just had time to accept it as well as fall for the animation. I never had a problem with him returning, but there was a huge spat over it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
The same way ui goku beat a mortal above a hakaishin in less than 30 seconds in db time.
UI Goku is much stronger than Vegetto who is in turn superior to Gogeta.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:21 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
UI Goku is much stronger than Vegetto who is in turn superior to Gogeta.
A. UI goku is only WAY stronger than Vegito in the anime and that was in the Goku Black arc. Goku and Vegeta have both gotten way stronger since so Gogeta could be way stronger than THAT Vegito

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Oh people were definitely upset when it was first revealed to be another Brolli movie. Gogeta's just more "here's some popular fanservice", but personally I'm not big on fusions and I'd rather have some plot stuff revealed instead. I've accepted that this is probably gonna just be a prettier looking RoF and that's why I haven't been posting as much lately in this thread. There really isn't much to talk about other than power level type stuff that I don't care about. When the actual plot info drops I'll actually be able to theorize and even then I'm expecting this to just be "Here's Movie 8 only it's on Earth with minimal changes to the story.".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Gogeta being in this movie is no more of a problem than Broly being in it. If you’re going to make one character as blatant fanservice, you might as well go all out and make another beloved movie character canon as well.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Gogeta's case is totally fine, as Goku and Vegeta performing the Metamoru fusion was never impossible, heck, Goku even wanted to use it when him and Vegeta were inside Super Buu's body. His appearance would be/feels more natural.

As for movie villains, the best thing if you want to use them is to use the "rift in space" gimmick. I don't like the "reboot" idea in general. Obviously there will be specific cases, like Janemba, I would want his design and all his techniques, along with a better backstory and a personality but that would only be possible through reboot, then in this case, it's fine.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Gogeta Blue being in a game doesn't mean he will appear in the movie cause Goku and Vegeta can already go Blue in the game? So it makes sense to have Gogeta Blue.

Come on people. :lol:

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Dragono wrote: You claim goku having ssj4 makes up for him being turned into child which did regress his character as well because he started acting like a kid in episode 7 specifically and you ignore the fact that super saiyan 4 was revealed in episode 34 when he was turned into a kid in episode 1 nearly 33 episodes later, half of Gt's total and wasn't even super saiyan 4 all the time for the rest of the series.
People keep claiming this, but I am still waiting for what people are referring to when they claimed turning him into a kid regressed his character enough to hurt the plot. Because to me, a kid acting like a kid in comedic filler scenes is pretty much just logical. The fact that Goku in GT could go in and out of the tone shifts at all was proof they knew when to apply what scenes to his character. Where as Goku in Super is a sourable argument of his regression as a character, even in comparison to himself in DB. In Super Goku was literally only written to get serious when people started complaining that he never was serious in Super. So what did Toei throw in? A cheesy rage boost. Because thats what the Super writers think a serious character is.
See thats the issue, THERE SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ANY COMEDIC FILLER IN THE BLACK STAR ARC!!!! The world was in danger and dragon balls couldn't fix it. There was no real reason for Goku to goof off during that arc and him being a kid was the excuse made for it. Thats the problem, the fact that you are saying a kid acting like a kid makes sense, thats all the proof i need to know that changing him to a kid messed with his character which is why they added super saiyan 4. They literally made a transformation just to fix a problem that didn't need to be there.

Goku was serious in super when he needed to be, because super wasn't always serious in the first place and when he was goofing off he could afford to. When beerus started fighting serious, goku did to. When Freeza transformed, Goku took it seriously. When he fought hit he took it seriously. When he fought rose he took it seriously. When he fought merged zamasu he took it seriously. In fact, he took some things too seriously like going blue against his friends and when he fought jiren he took nit seriously.

Any other time, he didn't care. He was flanderize at times but it wasn't consistent, i mean for fuck sake, he had an actually job, you can't get more serious than that.

There is no evidence to suggest Goku started going seriousl in super around that time, let alone because people complained. Don't overestimate yourself

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 am

WittyUsername wrote:Gogeta being in this movie is no more of a problem than Broly being in it. If you’re going to make one character as blatant fanservice, you might as well go all out and make another beloved movie character canon as well.
The issue is simply that Broly has more potential. When you can completely rewrite a character's canon history and personality (which we don't necessarily know they're doing with Broly, but we can tell has some weight) you can basically make him whatever you want. Whether they are doing that is irrelevant. The thing with Gogeta is that he's just a different Goku/Vegeta fusion. Which means he's bound to have combinations of their moves and personality, and won't stick around because Goku and Vegeta have to remain separate characters. His only real purpose is combat. There's no backstory, hardly any dynamics, and no real personality to flesh out with the guy, and actually having a creative and unexpected solution to the problem that is Broly would go a long way in making this film feel like more than a mere 110 minutes of fanservice, whereas Gogeta is Gogeta. We already have a Goku/Vegeta fusion with a better personality and design anyway.

I'd rather argue in favor of Gogeta not existing at all than just not being in this film, really. I keep getting the impression that they want to add substance to the stuff they add in this film, but from where I'm sitting that's literally impossible with Gogeta.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:50 am

Miracles wrote:Gogeta Blue being in a game doesn't mean he will appear in the movie cause Goku and Vegeta can already go Blue in the game? So it makes sense to have Gogeta Blue.

Come on people. :lol:
This would be true if we were talking about heroes but it being part of a XV2 Broly set releasing alongside the movie is too big of a coincidence. I don't know if you heard but there are 2 secret figures that are being released as well, both of which are more important than Blue Vegeta and Golden Freeza so you can add that to the Gogeta fire. We're getting a "canon" Broly, is Gogeta really that far out there of an idea for you to believe ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:53 am

Dragono wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Dragono wrote: You claim goku having ssj4 makes up for him being turned into child which did regress his character as well because he started acting like a kid in episode 7 specifically and you ignore the fact that super saiyan 4 was revealed in episode 34 when he was turned into a kid in episode 1 nearly 33 episodes later, half of Gt's total and wasn't even super saiyan 4 all the time for the rest of the series.
People keep claiming this, but I am still waiting for what people are referring to when they claimed turning him into a kid regressed his character enough to hurt the plot. Because to me, a kid acting like a kid in comedic filler scenes is pretty much just logical. The fact that Goku in GT could go in and out of the tone shifts at all was proof they knew when to apply what scenes to his character. Where as Goku in Super is a sourable argument of his regression as a character, even in comparison to himself in DB. In Super Goku was literally only written to get serious when people started complaining that he never was serious in Super. So what did Toei throw in? A cheesy rage boost. Because thats what the Super writers think a serious character is.
See thats the issue, THERE SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ANY COMEDIC FILLER IN THE BLACK STAR ARC!!!! The world was in danger and dragon balls couldn't fix it. There was no real reason for Goku to goof off during that arc and him being a kid was the excuse made for it.
What? DBS even in it's serious monents has comedy inserted (Zamasu fights). I don't get why Goku acting like a kid is such an impossible thing to you, since you know, they had a whole year to find the Dragon Balls. And he was in a child's body too.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:57 am

Gogeta suddenly being in this movie doesn't hinder my excitement at all. I trust Toriyama enough to do this right. Though I'd be lying if I said that I wanted to see Goku and Vegeta fuse again. It just doesn't feel appropriate to fuse against an opponent like Broly that's stronger through their own power.

Goku and Vegeta fused against Buu because their families were murdered/absorbed by him, so they felt the need to work together and make him pay. They fused against Merged Zamasu to even out the playing field, since Goku Black and Zamasu decided to fuse. It's all felt appropriate so far. They need to find a convincing reason to have Goku and Vegeta fuse against someone like Broly. Broly's a Saiyan. How the hell will anyone convince Goku and especially Vegeta to fuse to put up a fight against another Saiyan? They didn't even do that with Jiren and he wiped the fucking floor with them. Their universe was at stake in that circumstance and they were allowed to fuse, yet even then they chose not to.

I honestly don't know how they'll fuse in this movie without it feeling forced. Please prove me wrong, Toriyama.