Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Saw the trailer and ugh... Minus stuff is included :sick:

Animation is top-notch! Didn't get why Freeza lower body is red though :|

So this movie will be a mix of Bardock: The Father of Goku (beginning), Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan (middle) and Fusion Reborn (end) like a lot of people predicted months ago...

Toei sucks at foreshadowing :D

ekrolo2 wrote:Let's play a game folks! Can. You. Spot. The. FFFUUUCCCKKKUUUPPP!
:lol:

This movie straight contradicts the original work, if we had a canon, this would be not included.

Doctor. wrote:So did Toei forget what first form Freeza without his armor looks like or what? Because we saw him back in Z and manga and he did not look like this.
Well, let's hope they fix that until the actual release.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Gt91 wrote:Radish will be with vegeta.
Look at the bracelet at minute 1.03. Its the same from here
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... -prefix=it

So, again. Radish in is in the movie :D
Dat nigga's name Raditz. Unless you're saying that on purpose.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Saturnine wrote:
Gt91 wrote:Radish will be with vegeta.
Look at the bracelet at minute 1.03. Its the same from here
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... -prefix=it

So, again. Radish in is in the movie :D
Dat nigga's name Raditz. Unless you're saying that on purpose.
Sorry xD

I think that frieza has that design just because he's young. They are talking about the first encounter between frieza's family and sayan race (or the first period of domination).
Last edited by Gt91 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm

The only thing I really have to comment on is that it’s crazy how Toriyama is apparently retconning his work even further now. It’s giving me some very distinct George Lucas vibes.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:58 pm

LightBing wrote:I guess they are expanding/changing Minus. I don't mind that at all, there's a lot of good ideas there that needed to be developed.

Broly backstory already confirmed to be better than movie 8. :lol:
By how? Him just not having a hatred for Goku out of nowhere? Because taking that it doesn't seem much different from Movie 8.
GodVegetto91 wrote:It seems Mercenary Tao was a Saiyan all along! Now his abilities finally make sense!
Ugh, Toriyama new artstyle is disgusting. I could take it if this Saiyan was native from Universe 6, but Universe 7? Where in past materials Saiyans were all despicted as muscular primitives? Gosh no.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote:The only thing I really have to comment on is that it’s crazy how Toriyama is apparently retconning his work even further now. It’s giving me some very distinct George Lucas vibes.
At least Toriyama isn't having the original manga and anime pulled from the market in favor of an edited one.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:09 pm

I didn't see anyone point this out but King Cold looks different too:
His limbs are darker than his head and the ridges on his wrist armor are white instead of colored. I've never seen him with this color scheme before. :think:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:13 pm

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The only thing I really have to comment on is that it’s crazy how Toriyama is apparently retconning his work even further now. It’s giving me some very distinct George Lucas vibes.
At least Toriyama isn't having the original manga and anime pulled from the market in favor of an edited one.
True. Then again, Toriyama is probably too lazy to do something like that.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Noah wrote:By how? Him just not having a hatred for Goku out of nowhere? Because taking that it doesn't seem much different from Movie 8.
Yup. That's how bad it was and why I'm saying it based on two trailers. It was basically impossible to do it worse.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:To add to this, it’s not even red all the time.
No, but it is red where and when it needs to be.
Touché.

On the subject of the trailer.

Frieza - Please let them fix that, like they did Gohan's hair and Beerus's attack to and from the original movie 14 trailers.

Vegeta Age - Unless he got stuck somewere that altered his age, thats a nono. Even excluding the Bardock Special he was ment to be older. It's even in Super!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Goddamn it. We all knew Minus was going to be the backstory but now that it's basically confirmed it kind of hurts.

Shame to see that the ordinary story of Goku, the Saiyan who was sent to destroy Earth but ended up protecting it, and the tragic but somewhat meaningful fate of Bardock the Saiyan avenger turn into a tale about family feels and Superman origins. Fuck modern Dragon Ball.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Vegeta Age - Unless he got stuck somewere that altered his age, thats a nono. Even excluding the Bardock Special he was ment to be older. It's even in Super!
He's most likely still older since we see him out conquering a planet while Goku is fresh out of the incubator. There's a span of some time being covered in those scenes since we see Frieza making first contact with the Saiyans.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Yeah, there are something really off about everyone, I just noticed that King Vegeta has long sideburns. :? Surely all the flasbacks don't take place in the same time, King Vegeta appears with sideburns when Vegeta was still in the incubator, hopefully he shaves it later on.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jaden » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Did they just give M8 Broly's necklace to King Vegeta? Or is it just a similar one? (0:29 in trailer)
On a side note - really cool they kept Paragus's old design as his younger self.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Is there any evidence in the manga about the age difference between Goku and Vegeta?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:42 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:He's most likely still older since we see him out conquering a planet while Goku is fresh out of the incubator. There's a span of some time being covered in those scenes since we see Frieza making first contact with the Saiyans.
Yeah, a lot of people are missing the possibility that the flashback takes place over the course of many years. When Toriyama did Minus, Vegeta and Raditz were both clearly older than Goku, even if they were still fairly young.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:45 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:Is there any evidence in the manga about the age difference between Goku and Vegeta?
Goku has no memory of saiyan culture while Vegwya can quote it.

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
SSJgogeto wrote:Is there any evidence in the manga about the age difference between Goku and Vegeta?
Goku has no memory of saiyan culture while Vegwya can quote it.
But Goku still hit his head, so it's normal Goku just forgot everything about the Saiyans. (After all he was crying in the trailer when his ship flew off Planet Vegeta).
Last edited by desu on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Mewzard wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:He's most likely still older since we see him out conquering a planet while Goku is fresh out of the incubator. There's a span of some time being covered in those scenes since we see Frieza making first contact with the Saiyans.
Yeah, a lot of people are missing the possibility that the flashback takes place over the course of many years. When Toriyama did Minus, Vegeta and Raditz were both clearly older than Goku, even if they were still fairly young.
This is what I think too. It's multiple flashbacks over multiple years.

Also, just now noticed the king's new sideburns. That plus the goatee...it's like a bad version of the facial hair Vegeta briefly sorted in Super, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:08 pm

The retcons, not even Minus is safe :lol: I don't care anymore, modern DB hates consistency despite being a basic on writing.

Just give me that Vegeta vs Broly fight. Takahasi looks somehow even better than in the ToP, is insane. At least on the visual part this will be by far the besr movie, that's for sure.

The soldiers being from a flashback scene is actually a nice surprise tho, but I still can't get hyped for this plot.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.