Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:25 am

ricky84 wrote: At this point it becomes clear that you are incapable of basic logic smh.
Or maybe you just don't want to admit to being wrong. I've asked you again and again to elaborate, and what you've done is repeat yourself and insult me.
ricky84 wrote: 1. I never said any trait was exclusive to men or women, yet you keep saying I am.
Because what else does "inherent to men/women" mean when there are tons of men and women that have or do not have these traits? You're just vomiting words at a screen at this point.
ricky84 wrote: 2. Actions speak louder than words, and the fact that certain actions and behaviors more common with one sex than the other says a lot.
About how human nature views those traits, makes meaningless connections and forms a society around those connections, yes.
ricky84 wrote: 3. The belief that stereotypes are wrong and harmful is itself a stereotype about stereotypes lmao.
I think you might just not know what a stereotype is...

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 am

Shaddy wrote:
ricky84 wrote: At this point it becomes clear that you are incapable of basic logic smh.
Or maybe you just don't want to admit to being wrong. I've asked you again and again to elaborate, and what you've done is repeat yourself and insult me.
ricky84 wrote: 1. I never said any trait was exclusive to men or women, yet you keep saying I am.
Because what else does "inherent to men/women" mean when there are tons of men and women that have or do not have these traits? You're just vomiting words at a screen at this point.
ricky84 wrote: 2. Actions speak louder than words, and the fact that certain actions and behaviors more common with one sex than the other says a lot.
About how human nature views those traits, makes meaningless connections and forms a society around those connections, yes.
ricky84 wrote: 3. The belief that stereotypes are wrong and harmful is itself a stereotype about stereotypes lmao.
I think you might just not know what a stereotype is...
1. Prove me wrong breh. Show me some legit science that says I'm wrong. You can't
2. It a trait stems from male (androgen) or female (estrogen) biology , then it is inherently masculine or feminine. Simple
3. If you can't see the connections then that means you are the one with problem, not society.
4. A stereotype is a generalization about a category of things. Saying "stereotypes are wrong and harmful" is itself a sweeping generalization, therefore a stereotype lol.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 am

ricky84 wrote:1. Prove me wrong breh. Show me some legit science that says I'm wrong. You can't
Not without you deliberately missing the point, I suppose not.
ricky84 wrote: 2. It a trait stems from male (androgen) or female (estrogen) biology , then it is inherently masculine or feminine. Simple
Yet again, it's not so simple when it's not exclusive. How is a trait masculine or feminine when it can apply to any person regardless of gender? How is classifying it as such just because of a majority statistic not completely stepping on the minority who don't fall into that category and saying they're something they aren't? How many circles am I gonna have to run around with you to give me a proper response?
ricky84 wrote: 3. If you can't see the connections then that means you are the one with problem, not society.
I'm sorry, the person with a problem is what's wrong and never the society that creates it? That's a dangerous school of thought. It's not like there's ever deep rooted discrimination or behavior in culture that really fucks up some people's lives or anything, nah it must just be their fault.
ricky84 wrote: 4. A stereotype is a generalization about a category of things. Saying "stereotypes are wrong and harmful" is itself a sweeping generalization, therefore a stereotype lol.
Name literally a single time generalizing people to the extent of stereotype has been helpful and doesn't distract from or misrepresent them in any way.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:06 am

First, it's the Geekdom shittalking and now it's whether or not a really old saying (or at least, a variant of it) is sexist? Repeating my previous post, is it really that hard to stay on topic, guys?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 am

I have seen a few people pronounce GIne differently. Since her name is a pun of aubergine it should start of being pronounced by a "soft g" correct? I have always pronounced it with a "hard g", but now thinking "soft g" maybe correct.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 am

Yeah I hear people say Gee-ney most of the time but it should be more like Jee-nay.

I dunno if just pronouncing it as "Gene" is very comfortable even if it's technically correct though. Makes me think of Bob's Burgers.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:15 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I have seen a few people pronounce GIne differently. Since her name is a pun of aubergine it should start of being pronounced by a "soft g" correct? I have always pronounced it with a "hard g", but now thinking "soft g" maybe correct.
Shaddy wrote: I dunno if just pronouncing it as "Gene" is very comfortable even if it's technically correct though. Makes me think of Bob's Burgers.
It is not technically correct at all.

It comes from "Negi", a kind of onion, and "Negi" is pronounced with a g like the g in ground. The katakana are ギ (a "ki" with a dakuten and that becomes "gi") ネ ("ne") -> "gi-ne", not "ji-ne". Vegeta has a "ji" as katakana, Gine does not.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:52 am

I think the best way to reconcile things would be to combine the best parts of both Bardock origin stories (ex. the emotional weight behind a race of assholes and a lone Saiyan warrior fighting against insurmountable odds)with the new context that has changed from the original character (ex. being a loving father and husband).

Basically, frame Dragon Ball Minus using the high action and emotion of Bardock: Father of Goku; it still likely won't appease fans of the original TV special unless it's done REALLY REALLY WELL, but at least it's something.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:19 am

ricky84 wrote: 1. Prove me wrong breh. Show me some legit science that says I'm wrong. You can't
2. It a trait stems from male (androgen) or female (estrogen) biology , then it is inherently masculine or feminine. Simple
3. If you can't see the connections then that means you are the one with problem, not society.
4. A stereotype is a generalization about a category of things. Saying "stereotypes are wrong and harmful" is itself a sweeping generalization, therefore a stereotype lol.
At the same time you havent shown/linked some legit science corroborating your statement about certain traits being something inherently from men/women.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:32 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:For those of you dont understand how a misleading trailer works, let me give you an example.

This Image is from the trailer for Thor Ragnarok
This Image is from the actual movie
You see how they kept thor's lost eye hidden so it was still a surprise when the movie came out. I wouldn't put it past them to pull this kind of thing on the fandom. Not to mention this scene could be un-finished. It might have Bardock's Rebellion still happen.
People... The trailer doesn't undermine the possibility of Bardock's rebellion against Freeza, but rather confirms is!

Why would it bother to address that Bardock expresses his worries about Freeza, when he doesn't want to do anything against him?

I think Bardock's rebellion is gonna be a central part of the movie's past section and have us left in "tears".
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:46 am

ricky84 wrote:Completely wrong. Episode of Bardock was obviously made for DB Heroes and this was explicitly made clear in Japan:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... roduction/

Dragonball Heroes was already out for over a year before Episode of Bardock was written.
If it was clear, you should be able to provide a source, but there's none here. Anyway, I've following Heroes since the beginning so... There's no point in telling me how things were.
Low Tone G wrote:Why would it bother to address that Bardock expresses his worries about Freeza, when he doesn't want to do anything against him?

I think Bardock's rebellion is gonna be a central part of the movie's past section and have us left in "tears".
For the sake of this movie, may Dende hear you. Imagine how stupid would it be if Bardock worries but doesn't do anything.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:18 am

If Bardock is not added to the scene from the trailer in the film which I think he will be Frieza could have shot him down in this version before blowing up the planet.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 am

miguelnuva1 wrote:If Bardock is not added to the scene from the trailer in the film which I think he will be Frieza could have shot him down in this version before blowing up the planet.
Could that scene be him destroying another planet ? Trailers do tend to mislead people.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 am

Various accounts have received strikes, temporary bans, and permanent bans. Please review the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration. Bans revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website, and should not be seen as something to strive for.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 am

sintzu wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:If Bardock is not added to the scene from the trailer in the film which I think he will be Frieza could have shot him down in this version before blowing up the planet.
Could that scene be him destroying another planet ? Trailers do tend to mislead people.
Perhaps, though it'd certainly be an odd bit of misdirection given how simple Toei and Toriyama like their stories.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Perhaps, though it'd certainly be an odd bit of misdirection given how simple Toei and Toriyama like their stories.
Someone mentioned Ajay may have implied it was another planet, which could be the case, but it could just as easily be Vegeeta as well, we'll have to wait. If that's Planet Vegeeta, I think it's strange they wouldn't include Burdock and Freeza soldiers there if they're part of the story (they would most likely use CG for that, anyway) but it's true misleading/unfinished trailers are somewhat common.

By the way, Episode of Burdock (the animated version, at least) does contradict the special by having Zaabon and Dodoria beside Freeza when he destroys the planet, so take that OVA with a grain of salt :P

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:22 am

I wonder if we are going to see Beerus on the flashbacks.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:35 am

alakazam^ wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Perhaps, though it'd certainly be an odd bit of misdirection given how simple Toei and Toriyama like their stories.
Someone mentioned Ajay may have implied it was another planet, which could be the case, but it could just as easily be Vegeeta as well, we'll have to wait. If that's Planet Vegeeta, I think it's strange they wouldn't include Burdock and Freeza soldiers there if they're part of the story (they would most likely use CG for that, anyway) but it's true misleading/unfinished trailers are somewhat common.

By the way, Episode of Burdock (the animated version, at least) does contradict the special by having Zaabon and Dodoria beside Freeza when he destroys the planet, so take that OVA with a grain of salt :P
That planet looks fairly similar to the Planet Vegeta seen in Minus. Very stripey-looking. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the same one though. It's also possible there's some deceptive editing going on to avoid showing things. Do we actually get a clear shot of what's directly between Frieza and the planet? I can't recall offhand and can't watch videos on this device.

It's also possible those panels of Bardock might happen in a different context. I'd like to see the Saiyans send up a force to attack Frieza's ships like King Vegeta did in the old anime filler.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

alakazam^ wrote:

Ajay implied no such thing. Besides, even if he did, we have no reason to believe he knows something we don't. Youtuber statements aren't word of God.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:

That planet looks fairly similar to the Planet Vegeta seen in Minus. Very stripey-looking. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the same one though. It's also possible there's some deceptive editing going on to avoid showing things. Do we actually get a clear shot of what's directly between Frieza and the planet? I can't recall offhand and can't watch videos on this device.

It's also possible those panels of Bardock might happen in a different context. I'd like to see the Saiyans send up a force to attack Frieza's ships like King Vegeta did in the old anime filler.
I think people are misinterpreting Ajay’s “oops”. He was talking about how the trailer was already contradicting previously established history. And no offense to Ajay but i’d Say that Geekdom is the most knowledgeable youtuber when it comes to inside info on the plot for future db projects and he believes that Freeza is destroying Planet Vegeta in the trailer. So why would Ajay know that its a red herring and Geekdom not know?

I think you guys are just looking too far into Ajay’s whole “oops” thing. He wasn’t implying anything.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"