Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Alright so we are all wondering obviously how they are going to come up with an excuse to use Gogeta instead of Vegetto. I have a theory as to how that could work:

Broly is fighting Goku and Vegeta for a while and growing stronger as he fights, and then finally uses his LSSJ form and blows everybody away. Beerus senses it and thinks that it would be a fun fight to fight Broly,since we know he is interested in fighting strong opponents like we saw in BoG. (Or Broly destroys some food tray or something) Beerus confronts Broly and they are fighting fairly evenly but Broly's power is continuing to grow. Then, somehow it is brought up that Beerus authorized Planet Vegeta's destruction at the hands of Freeza. Then, Broly lets loose into a fit of rage, accelerating his power growth. As a result, Broly mercilessly kills Beerus. Since Beerus and Kaioshin are a pair who's lives are tied together, he also dies and so they cannot use his potara to make Vegetto. As a last resort, with potara fusion out of the question, and this behemoth of a character in front of them, they decide to fuse with the fusion dance as Freeza distracts/holds off Broly realizing that this guy is out of control and will kill him if Goku and Vegeta don't fuse.

TL;DR: Brolly kills Beerus and so Kaioshin can't give them potara because they both die when Beerus dies.

I honestly want Beerus to die in this movie so badly. It would REALLY establish tension and would be a shock to everyone involved. Also it wouldn't contradict EoZ because Beerus obviously isn't there during EoZ.
Good idea but they don't have the balls to do something that interesting. It'll be the same old same old and Broly will probably turn good or be left alive so he can come out of nowhere and fight again.
Toriyama's writing is completely and totally unpredictable so I wouldn't be surprised if something like this were to happen.
CTAkuma wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Alright so we are all wondering obviously how they are going to come up with an excuse to use Gogeta instead of Vegetto. I have a theory as to how that could work:

Broly is fighting Goku and Vegeta for a while and growing stronger as he fights, and then finally uses his LSSJ form and blows everybody away. Beerus senses it and thinks that it would be a fun fight to fight Broly,since we know he is interested in fighting strong opponents like we saw in BoG. (Or Broly destroys some food tray or something) Beerus confronts Broly and they are fighting fairly evenly but Broly's power is continuing to grow. Then, somehow it is brought up that Beerus authorized Planet Vegeta's destruction at the hands of Freeza. Then, Broly lets loose into a fit of rage, accelerating his power growth. As a result, Broly mercilessly kills Beerus. Since Beerus and Kaioshin are a pair who's lives are tied together, he also dies and so they cannot use his potara to make Vegetto. As a last resort, with potara fusion out of the question, and this behemoth of a character in front of them, they decide to fuse with the fusion dance as Freeza distracts/holds off Broly realizing that this guy is out of control and will kill him if Goku and Vegeta don't fuse.

TL;DR: Brolly kills Beerus and so Kaioshin can't give them potara because they both die when Beerus dies.

I honestly want Beerus to die in this movie so badly. It would REALLY establish tension and would be a shock to everyone involved. Also it wouldn't contradict EoZ because Beerus obviously isn't there during EoZ.
Agree with this, i want Beerus to die so we can finally move on from the lack of tension that was Super
I mean they had tension in DBS, but they could use more of it for sure.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Toriyama's writing is completely and totally unpredictable so I wouldn't be surprised if something like this were to happen.
Not anymore it's not. Quality discussions aside, I found Super very predictable.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Beerus and Whis do kinda kill all tension when they're around. And while I love the idea in theory of Gokû and Vegeta training together under Whis they really haven't done enough with that imo to make me say I'd miss that so.....I think I'd be ok with them writing Beerus and Whis out. (It'd be sad to lose East Kaioshin as well, but that's the brakes I guess.)

Only reason I don't think that would happen is that Whis has effectively replaced Kaio as the exposition guy.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Not anymore it's not. Quality discussions aside, I found Super very predictable.
I find it very hard to believe that you were able to predict predict much of anything of the three "original" arcs in Super. Super was just as unpredictable as DB/Z. I never saw anybody even come close to predicting the outcomes of those arcs. (Aside from general, over-arching "predictions.")
Chuquita wrote:Beerus and Whis do kinda kill all tension when they're around. And while I love the idea in theory of Gokû and Vegeta training together under Whis they really haven't done enough with that imo to make me say I'd miss that so.....I think I'd be ok with them writing Beerus and Whis out. (It'd be sad to lose East Kaioshin as well, but that's the brakes I guess.)

Only reason I don't think that would happen is that Whis has effectively replaced Kaio as the exposition guy.
Well it's Dragon Ball, death is never permanent lol.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I find it very hard to believe that you were able to predict predict much of anything of the three "original" arcs in Super. Super was just as unpredictable as DB/Z. I never saw anybody even come close to predicting the outcomes of those arcs. (Aside from general, over-arching "predictions.")
Yes. Namely the Black Saga. Is that really that hard to believe? Come on now. You act like its some super complex story that nobody can ever figure out.

Black and Zamasu being the same person, The Mafuba being used in some shape or form, Zamasu fusing, the appearance of Vegetto and the use of the Zeno Button is what finally ends Zamasu were all things I saw coming from a mile away.

O, and the moment Universe 9 was erased it was clear to me the winning wish was to be to restore all the erased universes.
Last edited by Dbzfan94 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Chuquita wrote:Beerus and Whis do kinda kill all tension when they're around. And while I love the idea in theory of Gokû and Vegeta training together under Whis they really haven't done enough with that imo to make me say I'd miss that so.....I think I'd be ok with them writing Beerus and Whis out. (It'd be sad to lose East Kaioshin as well, but that's the brakes I guess.)

PFM18 wrote:Well it's Dragon Ball, death is never permanent lol.
This is true, but I'm talking more about the tension during battles, not so much the cleanup.

The dragon balls are a bandaid, but Beerus and Whis are training wheels/swim arm floaties/child proof locks.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Wow the new trailer is interesting. I mainly want to comment on King Vegeta and Bardock

1) King Vegeta got an upgrade in terms of looks. His new facial hair looks much better than the ugly goatee he had previously. And his armor now looks more royal. So good for his character

2) Bardock is a major downgrade in terms of looks. He lost the blood red bandana he used to have in previous animations and now his armor is similar to every other Frieza soldier. That's sad. Besides the scar on his face, the red bandana is what I use to distinguish Bardock and Goku. And overall the a blood red bandana just makes Bardock look a badass rebel. I also interpreted his previous armor that lacked shoulder pads to that of a low class Saiyan which made him distinct from higher ranking Saiyans like King Vegeta and Paragus who have full armor and shoulder pads. So changing his look has made him lose a lot of what I saw in him as a character.

I've also seen a lot of the complaints regarding Bardock probably not doing anything to stop Frieza like he has been shown to do in previous appearances where he rebels against Frieza in space. And I agree that losing that would be a huge blow to Bardock's character. Bardock rebelling against Frieza is Bardock's glory moment so losing that will leave a big void in my eyes. I wonder what they could possibly fill that void with...
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 am

KingKaash wrote:I wonder what they could possibly fill that void with...
Assuming there's a void to begin with.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 am

Spain announced. European roll out happening! UK should hopefully be announced at MCM in a few weeks!

CTAkuma wrote:

Agree with this, i want Beerus to die so we can finally move on from the lack of tension that was Super
But Beerus & Whis only affected tension with one arc, the Freeza one. BoG he was the antagonist, U6 tournament he couldn't participate, Copy Vegeta arc Whis was MIA, Trunks arc he couldn't go to the future and even killing present Zamasu that episode was still intense as hell as he had to wait for Zamasu to kill Gowasu before he could Hakai him, and the U.S arc again he couldn't participate in the tournament.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:16 am

CTAkuma wrote: Agree with this, i want Beerus to die so we can finally move on from the lack of tension that was Super
Killing him wont change the fact that the story is still taking place before the manga endin.

Seriously why people keep forgetting about this :| .
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Most of the worries here are about Bardock. So why would the 3rd trailer which you assume will be about Gogeta erase our worries about Bardock? They’re completely unrelated. Sure, the 3rd trailer might be hype but that wont get rid of the problems people have about what they might have done to Bardock and his iconic moment.
You are speaking as though Bardock is the most important part of this movie, which he isn't as he is just meant to represent Goku's father like Paragus and King Vegeta do to the other 2.
Bardock is the most important part of the problem people had with the trailer. So thats why he’s been brought up so many times by people these past few days
There is no problem with Bardock. First between the moment he come back from his planetary mission with his pal and the destruction of Planet Vegeta there is one whole month (so enough time to change outfit). Second the rebelion is yet not shown because Toei & Co have their marketing schedule and it will be shown in the third trailer release which will coincide with the teasing of Gogeta too.

Also thirdly Trailer are missleading, I'm still baffled at how people hasn't learn on how trailer either japanese, french or english are not put in chronological order and also doesn't shown the final product. I've learned this lesson since the 90's DAMN PEOPLE ! :crazy:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: Agree with this, i want Beerus to die so we can finally move on from the lack of tension that was Super
Killing him wont change the fact that the story is still taking place before the manga endin.

Seriously why people keep forgetting about this :| .
So what? How do you figure this means that they forgot about it?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:38 am

PFM18 wrote: So what? How do you figure this means that they forgot about it?
They keep saying there would be tension if Beerus and Whis are taken out, but that doesnt change that our heroes are OK by the manga ending, hence no tension even if Beerus is dead. That's why I say fans are somehow forgetting about that.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:46 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
They keep saying there would be tension if Beerus and Whis are taken out, but that doesnt change that our heroes are OK by the manga ending, hence no tension even if Beerus is dead. That's why I say fans are somehow forgetting about that.
Toriyama has retconned the beginning of the story, and more elements or story elements this year than the past 10. If he can change the beginning he can change the ending. Just because he trains or meets oob doesn’t mean it’ll be at a tourney or anything. Not that I think the death of Beerus would be a good thing for toy sells. He is chanhing things he didn’t have too, I doubt he’d have very little attatchment to the ending. Even if it changes, they will all be alive.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 am

Don't forget that FoG Bardock did not normally wear a headband. He only started after Dodoria killed the others and he took it off Tora's arm. That was just a matter of hours before Frieza killed him.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But Beerus & Whis only affected tension with one arc, the Freeza one. BoG he was the antagonist, U6 tournament he couldn't participate, Copy Vegeta arc Whis was MIA, Trunks arc he couldn't go to the future and even killing present Zamasu that episode was still intense as hell as he had to wait for Zamasu to kill Gowasu before he could Hakai him, and the U.S arc again he couldn't participate in the tournament.
Beerus and Whis really had nothing to do with the lack of tension in Resurrection F, imo. It was Frieza's limitations as a villain. Worst case scenario was that he destroyed the Earth, killing everyone. Problem is, Buu already did that and it got fixed. If Frieza won it could all be undone by King Kai or Supreme Kai dropping a phone call to New Namek and having Porunga restore the Earth. Even in the ending we got, we didn't need Whis to rewind time. Goku knows how to find Namek. All the sense of urgency was removed from that too because Sorbet spilled the beans early on that they can't find Namek.

There isn't a sense of urgency to defeating Frieza either because he has no motivation except revenge and Goku and Vegeta don't take him that seriously. Goku was even going to let him walk away so they're not even worried about him conquering the universe.

I like that we've reached a point where they've all but stopped pretending that any of the main characters are going to die for more than an arc. We know they're not going to. The 'tension' comes from figuring out how the gang will solve the immediate problem.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
In the sense of genuinely wondering whether our heroes are going to be ok at the end, there's NEVER any tension. We just need the "feeling" that the chatacter's lives are in danger even though we know for a fact that they arent going to end the story with a bunch of deaths. After the Piccolo Jr arc, everyone was fine, and everybody watching DB knew that would be the case. At the end of the Buu arc, everyone was fine and we obviously knew that would happen at the end. But if their lives are never threatened, we never get the idea of this tension, even if we know they are ultimately going to be fine because that's just how these stories are.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:57 am

BlueBasilisk wrote: Beerus and Whis really had nothing to do with the lack of tension in Resurrection F, imo. It was Frieza's limitations as a villain. Worst case scenario was that he destroyed the Earth, killing everyone. Problem is, Buu already did that and it got fixed. If Frieza won it could all be undone by King Kai or Supreme Kai dropping a phone call to New Namek and having Porunga restore the Earth. Even in the ending we got, we didn't need Whis to rewind time. Goku knows how to find Namek. All the sense of urgency was removed from that too because Sorbet spilled the beans early on that they can't find Namek.

There isn't a sense of urgency to defeating Frieza either because he has no motivation except revenge and Goku and Vegeta don't take him that seriously. Goku was even going to let him walk away so they're not even worried about him conquering the universe.

I like that we've reached a point where they've all but stopped pretending that any of the main characters are going to die for more than an arc. We know they're not going to. The 'tension' comes from figuring out how the gang will solve the immediate problem.
But you gave me an idea we know that after the RoF arc it's the invitationnal Champa Beerus tournament arc right ? What if for some reason the Namekian Dragon Ball where off and whis couldn't rewind 3 minutes back in time. So you have this tournament with the Super Dragon Ball at play. So the tournament would be about Goku, Gohan Tenshinhan, Kuririn and Master Roshi against Botamo, Otta Magetta, Frost and Hit. Now with that in mind.

Now you have a sense of tension where the remaining warrior would have to do their best to win the Super Dragon Ball to revive their friends and home.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Chuquita wrote:

PFM18 wrote:Well it's Dragon Ball, death is never permanent lol.
This is true, but I'm talking more about the tension during battles, not so much the cleanup.

The dragon balls are a bandaid, but Beerus and Whis are training wheels/swim arm floaties/child proof locks.
I think that this movie will find a way to make sure that Beerus and Whis isn't a problem for the story.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:43 pm

majinwarman wrote:I think that this movie will find a way to make sure that Beerus and Whis isn't a problem for the story.
Well they really aren't a problem cause they don't really involve themselves. Only time was ROF when Beerus and Whis wanted that do over.
U6 tourney is something they orchestrated and the TOP was Zenoh who kept them in check.
But remember, Beerus has his own intentions for Goku and Vegeta as he is grooming them for the prophetic showdown. So they will always be involved in some way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama connects his child of destiny to be the super saiyan god who prophetically defeats Beerus later on.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Did someone post this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpIibJfW4AAn57S.jpg:large

mini-manga adaptation

p.s. nevermind, i saw it in the manga thread.