Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Koitsukai wrote:Quick question: when would be the right time to get off the internet to avoid major spoilers? sure, now the news and spoilers chase YOU, but like when should I go radio silence and stick to non-dbz related sites?
The film will be having its premiere in Japan on November 14, so I highly recommend you go on lockdown mode around then. I sure as hell will be avoiding everything Dragon Ball related around that time.
Thanks, I had no idea about that premiere.

I'm sort of new here, this forum too is considered hazardous around that time aswell? I can already see youtube clickbaits, damn I'll have to go to that island Tom Hanks went.

TheNamekGio
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheNamekGio » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:37 am

Noah wrote:
Miracles wrote:It's not my truth when Toriyama said it, it's THE TRUTH. Stop the delusion, he completely set the franchises stories in order. Using terms like the DBZ movies being in a "separate dimension from the comic" cause he was solely an audience member to them or defining DBGT as a "side story" from the comic means it deals with what is AUTHENTIC [canon] Dragonball.

Try reaching harder.
To this day, we have no established timeline according with the events of the past and current stories. So no matter how you want to force Toriyama words on something he didn't even directly mentioned, you won't convince anyone, but yourself.

Try better next time.
Can't tell if you're being serious or trolling because I believe GT was considered a side story and the movies were some other thing entirely separate. This site and DB guide books on japanese auction sites have timeline books I think. Not sure about current timeline though.
I'm a DB veteran thats paid my DB dues!!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:03 am

I think we gotta link user Kamiccolo's thread about the Side Story debacle...when other terms should really be used instead of that one.
viewtopic.php?t=29426
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:31 am

TheNamekGio wrote:
Noah wrote:
Miracles wrote:It's not my truth when Toriyama said it, it's THE TRUTH. Stop the delusion, he completely set the franchises stories in order. Using terms like the DBZ movies being in a "separate dimension from the comic" cause he was solely an audience member to them or defining DBGT as a "side story" from the comic means it deals with what is AUTHENTIC [canon] Dragonball.

Try reaching harder.
To this day, we have no established timeline according with the events of the past and current stories. So no matter how you want to force Toriyama words on something he didn't even directly mentioned, you won't convince anyone, but yourself.

Try better next time.
Can't tell if you're being serious or trolling because I believe GT was considered a side story and the movies were some other thing entirely separate. This site and DB guide books on japanese auction sites have timeline books I think. Not sure about current timeline though.
The only guidebook that tries to establish a timeline frame for the films is Daizenshuu 6.

GT is an official sequel to DBZ, and contains its own guidebooks, the Perfect Files, released by Shueisha, the publishing company for all of DB. For the Z anime, GT is the sequel, not the Super anime.

Viz listed a timeline that includes the DB & DBS manga, the latter being the canonical sequel. This is the only use of the word 'canon' AFAIK. And given that this is what was translated by Viz from original Japanese text, the most authentic, true sequel to Toriyama's manga is Toyotaro's DBS manga.

There was also another DB timeline wall at another Japanese DB exhibition which for the life of me I can't remember the name of, which included DB, DBZ, DBS, and DBGT.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 am

Noah wrote:To this day, we have no established timeline according with the events of the past and current stories. So no matter how you want to force Toriyama words on something he didn't even directly mentioned, you won't convince anyone, but yourself.

Try better next time.
What is your personal stance on Dragon Ball’s theatrical films, Sensei?

"I take the movies as “stories in a different dimension from the main story of the comic”. I’m entirely just an audience member for them.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/

"Dragon Ball GT is a grand side-story of the original Dragon Ball..."

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ama-intro/

Canon events of Dragonball timeline....

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:47 am

Rakurai wrote:
TheNamekGio wrote:
Noah wrote:

Try better next time.
The only guidebook that tries to establish a timeline frame for the films is Daizenshuu 6.

GT is an official sequel to DBZ, and contains its own guidebooks, the Perfect Files, released by Shueisha, the publishing company for all of DB. For the Z anime, GT is the sequel, not the Super anime.

Viz listed a timeline that includes the DB & DBS manga, the latter being the canonical sequel. This is the only use of the word 'canon' AFAIK. And given that this is what was translated by Viz from original Japanese text, the most authentic, true sequel to Toriyama's manga is Toyotaro's DBS manga.

There was also another DB timeline wall at another Japanese DB exhibition which for the life of me I can't remember the name of, which included DB, DBZ, DBS, and DBGT.
I‘m sure you mean this timeline Image
GT Fighter

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 am

Man, waiting for the English release will be pretty hard.

Comes around the same time as another anime movie I'm waiting for, so i guess I have something to watch back-to-back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:24 am

Koitsukai wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Koitsukai wrote:Quick question: when would be the right time to get off the internet to avoid major spoilers? sure, now the news and spoilers chase YOU, but like when should I go radio silence and stick to non-dbz related sites?
The film will be having its premiere in Japan on November 14, so I highly recommend you go on lockdown mode around then. I sure as hell will be avoiding everything Dragon Ball related around that time.
Thanks, I had no idea about that premiere.

I'm sort of new here, this forum too is considered hazardous around that time aswell? I can already see youtube clickbaits, damn I'll have to go to that island Tom Hanks went.
Well I don't know about the rest of the forum but if folks don't want visual spoilers then maybe wise to avoid the merch thread around mid November too. Despite having the full movie merch schedule there are still quite a few blanks, on the 3rd week of November so Vjump week Banpresto's December final versions will be revealed (which will include WCF Vol.1 which have 3 blanks) on the 1st December Bandai will officially reveal all their December final versions (which will include Adverge, Shikishi Art, Wafer Stickers, then gashapons of VS #09, UDM #35, HG#01 and DBS SDBH SF #04) then on the 4th December the movie Ichiban Kuji begins in Japan, (we have 2 blanked figures, 3 different types of plates, 10 different types of art boards and 10 memorial award posters) and these are usually fully revealed about 2 weeks before it begins which not coincidentally will be Vjump week! In all likely hood some of these will probably be revealed in Vjump like with UI Goku back in Feb.

Mid November is definitely a the best time for someome to go MIA.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 am

I shall bathe in the sweet nectar of spoilers and grow strong. :lol: Even if I go out of my way to avoid spoilers I get hit by them, so what the hell, might as well embrace them.

We're also likely going to get the V-jump reveals for the final Xenoverse 2 DLC pack either this month or next month (I'm guessing next month) like we did for Ultra Instinct Goku. We'll see what form(s) Gogeta uses and there might be some kind of additional story content included with the characters. Dokkan Battle will also likely have some kind of DBS: Broly Dokkan Festival and a special story event some time in the near future so anyone wanting to avoid spoilers will need to keep on the lookout for all of these things.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:35 am

I'm looking forward to the movie! DB Legends was supposed to lead up to Broly right? or in some way connect? I wonder if this could lead to a move about the Saiyan's ancient past. Also what happened to the tuffles? Completely written off? Diving into all this Saiyan folklore we at least have to have a mention of Tuffles right?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Xeztin wrote:Diving into all this Saiyan folklore we at least have to have a mention of Tuffles right?
A good story, connecting events and explaining stuff would certainly mention them. Now, if that is the case of this movie, we can only wait and see but knowing how things are handled these days, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Xeztin wrote:I'm looking forward to the movie! DB Legends was supposed to lead up to Broly right? or in some way connect? I wonder if this could lead to a move about the Saiyan's ancient past. Also what happened to the tuffles? Completely written off? Diving into all this Saiyan folklore we at least have to have a mention of Tuffles right?
Toriyama forgot about Tuffles.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Bergamo wrote:Toriyama forgot about Tuffles.
They'd have to go back even further to address Tuffles. I don't expect they're very relevant to the plot of this movie.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:19 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
TheNamekGio wrote:

I‘m sure you mean this timeline Image
Yep this is it.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Why do people care SO much about "canon"? Just enjoy what you like and ignore what you don't like. Why is that so hard?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Nokra wrote:Why do people care SO much about "canon"? Just enjoy what you like and ignore what you don't like. Why is that so hard?
It's a psychological thing.

People prefer to stick to a concrete foundation that they can build investment in; if it's subject to change, it upsets the general preference for familiarity and comfort. It's like how people generally don't try new foods; people prefer to stick to what they know, and if what they know changes, suddenly things don't make sense anymore.

Another facet is the "official" status of it. Usually, if something is presented as a higher authority, people will gravitate towards it so as to not need to dedicated processing power to determining one's own stance in relation to an idea; we'd rather leave the decision-making to people who we perceive as "in charge".

When these two facets of Human psychology clash? You get the current debates.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 pm

There's also personal preferences in the material itself. When something you like gets replaced by something you don't like you're going to be some degree of upset.

I liked Totino's pizza rolls for a long time; like since childhood. A couple years ago they changed the formula for the dough to where you're also supposed to cook it at a higher temperature. Imo it's not good. The new dough tastes way too wheat-y. I no longer buy/eat those pizza rolls.

It's like that.

Comparatively I have experienced improvement in having a food recipe replaced (the new formula for Kahiki spring rolls is way better) but those exceptions are few and far between.

Losing the Bardock Special to Minus is a downer/loss/negative outcome imo because Minus has way less to offer and lacks creativity. How many other back stories like the Bardock Special are out there compared to how many Superman origins stories are out there?
Last edited by Chuquita on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Nokra wrote:Why do people care SO much about "canon"? Just enjoy what you like and ignore what you don't like. Why is that so hard?
Cause TRUTH matters. You can ignore what you don't like but don't ignore facts while you are enjoying what you do like.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:11 pm

I just watched trailer 2 , goku departing to the earth wearing saiyans armour and quite old kind of shocked me .
Anyone can refresh me how that was in the original manga ( aside of tv special or minus ) ?
I have the memories of a naked and smaller goku , when is grandpa began to take care of him , goku being a bad child before the accident that changed him
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:19 pm

prince212 wrote:I just watched trailer 2 , goku departing to the earth wearing saiyans armour and quite old kind of shocked me .
Anyone can refresh me how that was in the original manga ( aside of tv special or minus ) ?
I have the memories of a naked and smaller goku , when is grandpa began to take care of him , goku being a bad child before the accident that changed him
That scene is pretty much taken directly from Dragon Ball Minus. The TV special and the anime contradict this, but naked baby Goku was apparently not in the manga, so it isn't technically a retcon. All we knew officially was that Goku was apparently sent to Earth to kill all the inhabitants for Frieza, but Raditz could have easily been mistaken about that. Raditz was also wrong about how Planet Vegeta was destroyed, so he his word wasn't exactly reliable.