Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 pm

PFM18 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I think we'll see in this movie that this isn't how this actually transpired. Freeza still did it on his own whim.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: When is it stated, or implied that beerus was the only reason planet Vegeta was destroyed? All that was said was that beerus told him to do it. Nothing more. It is entirely possible, not to mention more than likely that Frieza was already going to destroy the planet anyway, but beerus telling him to do it was just an added bonus.
Frieza explained his motivation to Kikono in Minus:
He caught wind of the legends of the Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God and didn't trust the Saiyans to remain loyal.
Yeah, and they are using Minus in the movie. So I don't think there will be any doubt that Freeza still made the decision on his own accord irrespective of Beerus's annoyance with the Saiyans.
Yup. And minus is about a month before the destruction of planet Vegeta. plenty of time for the god of destruction to tell you to blow up some filthy monkeys.
Take into consideration this scene:
To whom do you think he´s talking to when he says ¨Its the perfect plan to be rid of the Saiyans. Planet and all. Wouldnt you agree?¨
Last edited by Kaiza_Toshiyuki on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Tickets are up for Reading Cinemas in Australia.

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Movie/D ... uper-Broly

I already picked up a couple of tickets for the 24th, if you sign up for Cinebuzz rewards on the spot the tickets are only $10.
Just to let you know, Madman are planning an Australian premiere. We still don't know when, but there will be a premiere in Melbourne and Sydney.

EDIT: The official American website for DBS: Broly has some info that I don't think has been brought up yet. On the about the movie page, Cheelai's name is officially spelt as 'Cheelia' for the dub. Also, Lemo will be voiced by Sean Schemmel.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:46 pm

zarmack wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The idea that Freeza might’ve been an adolescent when he wiped out the Saiyans is something I can’t really get behind.
Why not?
It has often been assumed by the fandom for decades that Freeza's age was in the centuries. Making him around the same age as Goku kinda weakens the allure.
Um... I never once thought that. Nor have I ever heard of anyone stating they thought Frieza was hundreds of years old. That’s some serious head canon right there.
How i predict the tournament will end:

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:19 pm

TheOne wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Why not?
It has often been assumed by the fandom for decades that Freeza's age was in the centuries. Making him around the same age as Goku kinda weakens the allure.
Um... I never once thought that. Nor have I ever heard of anyone stating they thought Frieza was hundreds of years old. That’s some serious head canon right there.
Many have made that assumption over the years. They see filler (as well as a chapter of the original manga and DB Minus) of Freeza back in Bardock's era looking exactly the same as he did in the Namek arc and think he and/or his whole race must have really long life spans.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Tickets are up for Reading Cinemas in Australia.

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Movie/D ... uper-Broly

I already picked up a couple of tickets for the 24th, if you sign up for Cinebuzz rewards on the spot the tickets are only $10.
Just to let you know, Madman are planning an Australian premiere. We still don't know when, but there will be a premiere in Melbourne and Sydney.
Yeah I saw that but I’m based in Newcastle and while I’ll be in Melbourne early January it will be a tough sell to my girlfriend to set some time aside on our holiday when I can easily see it when I get back.

I’d only go out of my way for a subtitled screening.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Jesus, the number of fans triggered by the SDBH PV is astounding.

We get it, Shintani is good, Yamamuro is not anymore. That shouldn't mean fans should say things like "Keep Yamamuro out of DB" or "Yamamuro should be let go" or some other dumb shit. The dude is an animator, very old at this point so it's understandable if he's lost his touch on art or evolved in an undesirable manner (just look at Toriyama's skinny stick figures), but he's working on harmless stuff at the moment. I doubt he sees the bitching on the internet but fans should give the man a break instead of parading it.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 am

Rakurai wrote:Jesus, the number of fans triggered by the SDBH PV is astounding.

We get it, Shintani is good, Yamamuro is not anymore. That shouldn't mean fans should say things like "Keep Yamamuro out of DB" or "Yamamuro should be let go" or some other dumb shit. The dude is an animator, very old at this point so it's understandable if he's lost his touch on art or evolved in an undesirable manner (just look at Toriyama's skinny stick figures), but he's working on harmless stuff at the moment. I doubt he sees the bitching on the internet but fans should give the man a break instead of parading it.
Which animator is yamamuro? What fight sequences is he responsible for?
How i predict the tournament will end:

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:02 am

Goku vs Hit, probably.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 am

Rakurai wrote:Jesus, the number of fans triggered by the SDBH PV is astounding.

I'm pretty sure you meant to put this in the animation thread. :P

While I'm in agreement that Yamamuro gets far too much hate than he should, sadly we will never be able to stop everyone from saying things like that. Many have valid criticisms of Yamamuro which I respect but for those who mock him for no reason or mock him for the sake of it (with some not even being able to correctly identify him or have a clue who he is and what he does, which is amusing) it doesn't seem like we can do much. Quite some time ago I also expressed my frustration with those kinds of people (especially after some disrespected him via Shida's twitter), but it's best to just ignore them. I personally still like Yamamuro's art style and I'll defend him from vile attacks without some sort of logic behind them. However, it's important that everyone respect each other's preferences. I've seen a lot of very disrespectful posts from people trying to defend Yamamuro lately, but they were trollish in nature. Definitely not the best way to express an opinion. However, I can't also deny that I see far more trolling from the Shintani preferred side lately too. It's pretty sad to see, but not much we can do as I mentioned. Stay strong to your own opinion and ignore the mindless trolls :)

Cheers lad

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 am

TheOne wrote: Which animator is yamamuro? What fight sequences is he responsible for?
He doesn't personally do much animation on the series himself anymore. What he does is supervise animation and adapt Toriyama's character designs for the anime. In the past he was responsible for the look of the characters from the mid Cell arc to the end of Buu. The characters having so much visual depth and looking "3D" despite being handdrawn was in big part due to his influence. He did a lot of work on the SSJ2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta fight, let that speak for itself. In many ways, he was the "Takahashi" of the Z era.

But in short, time passed and he changed. The shiny characters, squared-off eyes, big noses and rigid bodies and hair that you see nowadays is all due to his newer character designs being...well, weird. You can see it happening as early as his GT work (it was happening to Nakatsuru too). Multiple layers of shading, stiff posing, big noses, wide faces and too many lines in general. I'm sure it was a nightmare for people to animate without it collapsing entirely (actually, if the Super designs were simpler, episodes 5 and 25 might not have looked that bad). As a supervisor he's also known for excessively correcting other animators' work to the point where Shida or Takahashi (as examples with very distinct styles) are unrecognizable.

He's not a horrible person or anything, just some guy trying to do his job. He's not even necessarily bad at it. His character designs don't look right for Dragon Ball, but he's not a bad artist/animator. It's clear however that stepping down and letting Shintani bring things in a more classic direction was necessary for the franchise to look better, and the Heroes PV is just showing what could have had happened with him still on board, which people don't like. It would actually be better than that though, since a proper movie or TV series is given the proper time and manpower to look better.

That said, this is the perfect place for Yamamuro. Because it doesn't matter what Heroes animation looks like, it's all commercials for video games, neither the main product of the franchise nor itself.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:19 am

Shaddy wrote:
TheOne wrote: Which animator is yamamuro? What fight sequences is he responsible for?
He doesn't personally do much animation on the series himself anymore. What he does is supervise animation and adapt Toriyama's character designs for the anime. In the past he was responsible for the look of the characters from the mid Cell arc to the end of Buu. The characters having so much visual depth and looking "3D" despite being handdrawn was in big part due to his influence. He did a lot of work on the SSJ2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta fight, let that speak for itself. In many ways, he was the "Takahashi" of the Z era.

But in short, time passed and he changed. The shiny characters, squared-off eyes, big noses and rigid bodies and hair that you see nowadays is all due to his newer character designs being...well, weird. You can see it happening as early as his GT work (it was happening to Nakatsuru too). Multiple layers of shading, stiff posing, big noses, wide faces and too many lines in general. I'm sure it was a nightmare for people to animate without it collapsing entirely (actually, if the Super designs were simpler, episodes 5 and 25 might not have looked that bad). As a supervisor he's also known for excessively correcting other animators' work to the point where Shida or Takahashi (as examples with very distinct styles) are unrecognizable.

He's not a horrible person or anything, just some guy trying to do his job. He's not even necessarily bad at it. His character designs don't look right for Dragon Ball, but he's not a bad artist/animator. It's clear however that stepping down and letting Shintani bring things in a more classic direction was necessary for the franchise to look better, and the Heroes PV is just showing what could have had happened with him still on board, which people don't like. It would actually be better than that though, since a proper movie or TV series is given the proper time and manpower to look better.

That said, this is the perfect place for Yamamuro. Because it doesn't matter what Heroes animation looks like, it's all commercials for video games, neither the main product of the franchise nor itself.

Just to throw in a few points of add on etc. Yamamuro basically has been the Character Designer/Supervising director of animation for a while. His job involves A LOT of work including promotional material, designs, DB Heroes, corrections etc. It's not that simple at all but Yamamuro is able to draw DB fast and well. Yamamuro's approach to correcting has its flaws and its benefits. I disagree that his corrections made Takahashi/Shida unrecognizable, for me they were easily identified. However, Yamamuro's corrections do make it seem like the work is done by a single animator at times. This can also be a good thing though, when episodes have some weaker animators on board, these corrections bring about a polished and consistent look.

Also, as some may not know, Yamamuro was responsible for most of the transformation scenes we saw in Super. It's usually why those specific scenes were pretty polished. Another fun fact is that the design of Ultra Instinct Omen was from Yamamuro as well (and looks great). In any event, I for one still love his art style, even though I don't think nothing will ever compare to his work on Z. Many people don't like his modern approach and some have valid criticisms of it while others have a habit of just bashing him for no logical reason. However, since this new movie brings Shintani into Yamamuro's previous role, some people are ecstatic about a new fresh look for the series. I for one am not sold on the new look, but respect the creative new approach (and it's not going to stop me from supporting the film).

Anyways, a topic like this is better suited for the animation thread, hope this thread doesn't get derailed much further.

Cheers lads!

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:47 am

heres a thought if we are getting Minus content, will we be seeing that other member of Bardock's team?

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 am

Extreme_kai wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:Planet Vegeta was a birthday gift from Cold to young Freeza :lol:
Lol I would actually die if Freeza is initially apprehensive about killing off the Saiyans for Beerus. Not his precious little monkeys :D
Sorry for quoting a post from a couple pages back, but. . .

TFW monkey was Freeza’s term of endearment for Saiyans the entire time. :lol:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:54 am

Love these drawings. Vegeta looks much older than both Goku and Broly, so that should rest some fears for fans who thought that Vegeta's age would be retconned.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Image
Love these drawings. Vegeta looks much older than both Goku and Broly, so that should rest some fears for fans who thought that Vegeta's age would be retconned.
Still don't even get the issue with his age. Literally has no importance to anything. When was the last time Vegeta being older than Goku was brought up as an important plot point?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Image
Still don't even get the issue with his age. Literally has no importance to anything. When was the last time Vegeta being older than Goku was brought up as an important plot point?
Its called people nitpicking about the most insignificant retcons ever, like Bardocks bandana for example.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 am

Shouldn't Goku be tanner than that picture? More like Broly?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am

LightBing wrote:Shouldn't Goku be tanner than that picture? More like Broly?
No, why?

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 am

I hate that design for kid vegeta tbh. I get that it's identical to the art style in minus but it just looks weird for him to be so skinny. Hopefully it'll look better on screen.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
LightBing wrote:Shouldn't Goku be tanner than that picture? More like Broly?
No, why?
I was remembering that sometimes Mr.Toriyama portrays him as having darker skin but the anime doesn't really do it, so it's whatever.