Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Miracles wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: I'm not really seeing any difference. Broly just seems another character that doesn't have God ki and will keep up with them.
Broly is obviously going to be stronger than the last opponents Goku and Vegeta faced. So instead of needing extras like SSBE or KK Blue, Toriyama has just plain old red and blue, enough to handle incredible opponents. Making the god forms special.
All those forms stem from God ki. He’s saying that we are getting yet another person casually reaching the realm of God ki without God ki. Basically that level of power is no longer special, which doesn’t help that we’ve reached the cap as according to Toriyama having Zeno being the peak.
Toriyama hasn’t outright stated Zeno is the peak. We still have Zalama who was powerful enough to create a dragon with limitless wish granting power that can even counter the power of Zeno.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Miracles wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: I'm not really seeing any difference. Broly just seems another character that doesn't have God ki and will keep up with them.
Broly is obviously going to be stronger than the last opponents Goku and Vegeta faced. So instead of needing extras like SSBE or KK Blue, Toriyama has just plain old red and blue, enough to handle incredible opponents. Making the god forms special.
All those forms stem from God ki. He’s saying that we are getting yet another person casually reaching the realm of God ki without God ki. Basically that level of power is no longer special, which doesn’t help that we’ve reached the cap as according to Toriyama having Zeno being the peak.
God Ki was never stated anywhere to have anything to do with raw power in the first place (King Kai has God ki, yet is weaker than Nappa). The assumption that it does was just another dumb fan theory, one that should have died right when Golden Freeza was introduced.

And the real peak of power in DB is Toribot, not Zeno.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:01 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Miracles wrote: Broly is obviously going to be stronger than the last opponents Goku and Vegeta faced. So instead of needing extras like SSBE or KK Blue, Toriyama has just plain old red and blue, enough to handle incredible opponents. Making the god forms special.
Toriyama hasn’t outright stated Zeno is the peak. We still have Zalama who was powerful enough to create a dragon with limitless wish granting power that can even counter the power of Zeno.
Well, in the manga at least we have Zeno killing Zamasu who was given immortality by the super dragon balls, and since the "Fusion Zamasu is semi immortal" doesn't seem to be part of his notes, then at least Zeno has potential to overpower a wish from the super dragon balls, doesn't mean he's immune to them or anything, just that Zalama may not be on Zeno's level, so it's pretty moot.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:12 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
IM21 wrote: youtubers and twitter told him
That would be sad. They don't even make up a majority of the DB community based on numbers alone, when compared to the number of DBS volumes sold.
AnimeNation101 wrote: Most of the vocal members if the db community
Define DB community. Are you talking about the internet, which makes up a small percentage of people that actually consume DB, or the elitists like YouTubers/Twitters that only comprise an even smaller percentage of people (I wouldn't even give it 5% tbh) that consume DB in general?
I literally said the vocal members of the community. So basically the people in the comments of youtube, other social media, sometimes real life. The people who i can hear/see talking about dragon ball.

Also, i know people here like to think that the db community online is but a small portion of the whole db community. Thats wrong. On the contrary, most of the db community IS online. With how important the internet is in the lives of most of the population, people of the db community gather in groups where they can talk about dragon ball on the internet, whether it be reddit, kanzenshuu, or the comment section of a video. If you’re apart of a community/fandom of something like a show, movie, book series, or video game, 90 percent of the time, you’d be vocal about it on the internet. Thats just the way the world is now.

So yeah. The db community that talks on the internet is WAY bigger than 5 percent of the whole db community. And from what I've seen of them, theres way more bashing of Toyotaro than praise. And for good reason might i add.
Well, I can tell you that none of my friends who are into DB discuss things online. They mostly lurk.

Take all the number of people on Twitter, Kanzenshuu, Reddit, Youtube, & a few other forums who post & comment on a daily basis. Let's take the no. of comments on DB-related posts to be the no. of unique people "active."

On Twitter, let's give it 1k, which is a high-ball, and I mean a HUGE high-ball.

On Kanzenshuu, gamefaqs, narutoforums, comicvine, etc. Let's take 2k active posters, which again is a HUGE high-ball.

On YouTube, 2k comments which is a moderate count for a lot of videos.

On reddit, 1k comments which is a fairly moderate count.

On online retail sites, the no. of reviews are fairly very low for manga-related content. Not worth including.

That alone is ~5k "users." Do you think that ~5k represents a good whole of the DB community?

Now let's take the number of DBS manga volumes sold in Japan in 2017. That's 1,439,895.

People are online, yes. No doubt about that. But the number in sales alone speak about the number of ppl who purchase content and consume it vs. those who are also active online about it. A lot of people don't care enough to argue online about it. I see a lot more bash than love for Broly online, doesn't mean he's unpopular like one BlueBasilisk previously mentioned. Toyotaro himself is going to continue Super up to Broly at least so he also seems to be doing fine. For the DBS movie, they finally made the change from Yamamuro to Shintani. Unless I see a drop in number of sales for the DBS manga, or unless they replace Toyotaro with somebody else like DragonGarrowLee (lol) to cover the Broly saga, then I don't see any reason why Toyotaro's writing would be disliked by the majority of the DB community.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Simere wrote:
Miracles wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
I understand but Ki is energy, god powers is a certain level of that energy. That's all it is. It's not surprising opponents would be at such a level.
I'm just saying red and blue is being actually used and focused on for such great opponents, giving them a special place instead of needing something greater.
They are going to need something greater, though.
That's cool. Ultra Instinct is part of the god package.
zarmack wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Miracles wrote: Broly is obviously going to be stronger than the last opponents Goku and Vegeta faced. So instead of needing extras like SSBE or KK Blue, Toriyama has just plain old red and blue, enough to handle incredible opponents. Making the god forms special.
God Ki was never stated anywhere to have anything to do with raw power in the first place (King Kai has God ki, yet is weaker than Nappa). The assumption that it does was just another dumb fan theory, one that should have died right when Golden Freeza was introduced.

And the real peak of power in DB is Toribot, not Zeno.
Goku used the energy of six Saiyans. And you still think it had nothing to do with power?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Kinokima wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Top selling in what way and to comparison to what?
I am not comparing it to other series obviously it is not in One Piece or MHA leagues but for a manga in V-Jump it’s doing extremely well and every volume has ranked in the Oricon charts top 50 and usually it opens in the top 10 That’s hardly a “minority” when you consider how much manga is released in Japan.

Just look up Dragon Ball Super manga sales. I mean where exactly are you getting minority from.

It technically sells better than the anime although that’s expected of long series.

Editing because I found better data

In 2017 Dragon Ball Super was the no 19th best selling series in Japan https://www.narutoforums.org/threads/to ... 7.1120456/

In the first 1/2 of 2018 Dragon Ball Super Volume 5 ranked No 33 as best selling volume in Japan

https://www.oricon.co.jp/special/51183/6/
But V-Jump isn’t that big. In fact, I think V-Jump isn’t available in parts of Japan.

Selling better than an anime isn’t feat since DVDs in Japan don’t sell. In fact, for years it was cheaper for the Japanese to buy the FUNI DVD sets for Dragon Ball Z. Japan tend to watch their anime on TV or steam it.

Also, the majority of Dragon Ball fans isn’t Japanese. You can tell because a lot of casual fan never even read the original manga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Rakurai wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
That would be sad. They don't even make up a majority of the DB community based on numbers alone, when compared to the number of DBS volumes sold.

Define DB community. Are you talking about the internet, which makes up a small percentage of people that actually consume DB, or the elitists like YouTubers/Twitters that only comprise an even smaller percentage of people (I wouldn't even give it 5% tbh) that consume DB in general?
I literally said the vocal members of the community. So basically the people in the comments of youtube, other social media, sometimes real life. The people who i can hear/see talking about dragon ball.

Also, i know people here like to think that the db community online is but a small portion of the whole db community. Thats wrong. On the contrary, most of the db community IS online. With how important the internet is in the lives of most of the population, people of the db community gather in groups where they can talk about dragon ball on the internet, whether it be reddit, kanzenshuu, or the comment section of a video. If you’re apart of a community/fandom of something like a show, movie, book series, or video game, 90 percent of the time, you’d be vocal about it on the internet. Thats just the way the world is now.

So yeah. The db community that talks on the internet is WAY bigger than 5 percent of the whole db community. And from what I've seen of them, theres way more bashing of Toyotaro than praise. And for good reason might i add.
Well, I can tell you that none of my friends who are into DB discuss things online. They mostly lurk.

Take all the number of people on Twitter, Kanzenshuu, Reddit, Youtube, & a few other forums who post & comment on a daily basis. Let's take the no. of comments on DB-related posts to be the no. of unique people "active."

On Twitter, let's give it 1k, which is a high-ball, and I mean a HUGE high-ball.

On Kanzenshuu, gamefaqs, narutoforums, comicvine, etc. Let's take 2k active posters, which again is a HUGE high-ball.

On online retail sites, the no. of reviews are fairly very low for manga-related content. Not worth including.

That alone is ~5k "users." Do you think that ~5k represents a good whole of the DB community?

Now let's take the number of DBS manga volumes sold in Japan in 2017. That's 1,439,895.

People are online, yes. No doubt about that. But the number in sales alone speak about the number of ppl who purchase content and consume it vs. those who are also active online about it. A lot of people don't care enough to argue online about it. I see a lot more bash than love for Broly online, doesn't mean he's unpopular like one BlueBasilisk previously mentioned. Toyotaro himself is going to continue Super up to Broly at least so he also seems to be doing fine. For the DBS movie, they finally made the change from Yamamuro to Shintani. Unless I see a drop in number of sales for the DBS manga, or unless they replace Toyotaro with somebody else like DragonGarrowLee (lol) to cover the Broly saga, then I don't see any reason why Toyotaro's writing would be disliked by the majority of the DB community.
The online community for any media no matter how big will always be the vocal minority. If it wasn’t, no one would have read Twilight or watched the live action Transformer movies or the Star Wars prequels.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:35 pm

HeroR wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Top selling in what way and to comparison to what?
I am not comparing it to other series obviously it is not in One Piece or MHA leagues but for a manga in V-Jump it’s doing extremely well and every volume has ranked in the Oricon charts top 50 and usually it opens in the top 10 That’s hardly a “minority” when you consider how much manga is released in Japan.

Just look up Dragon Ball Super manga sales. I mean where exactly are you getting minority from.

It technically sells better than the anime although that’s expected of long series.

Editing because I found better data

In 2017 Dragon Ball Super was the no 19th best selling series in Japan https://www.narutoforums.org/threads/to ... 7.1120456/

In the first 1/2 of 2018 Dragon Ball Super Volume 5 ranked No 33 as best selling volume in Japan

https://www.oricon.co.jp/special/51183/6/
But V-Jump isn’t that big. In fact, I think V-Jump isn’t available in parts of Japan.

Selling better than an anime isn’t feat since DVDs in Japan don’t sell. In fact, for years it was cheaper for the Japanese to buy the FUNI DVD sets for Dragon Ball Z. Japan tend to watch their anime on TV or steam it.

Also, the majority of Dragon Ball fans isn’t Japanese. You can tell because a lot of casual fan never even read the original manga.

I just pointed out to you that Dragon Ball Super manga topped the charts for both 2017 and the first half of 2018 that’s in comparison to ALL manga in Japan. It’s individual volumes also always rank on the weekly charts. The fact that V-Jump has a smaller circulation and Dragon Ball Super still sells so well in Japan shows its not a minorty.

As for non-Japanese fans I don’t have sales figures for that but the manga is sold in multiple countries. In fact my friends in Spain & Argentina have volumes out ahead of Viz. Nothing shows the manga is selling poorly.

And when I said it sells better than the anime I meant the DBS anime DVDs/BR do not rank in comparison to other anime while the DBS manga does rank in sales in comparison to other manga. This is just in Japan. I believe the anime does sell quite well in the US.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Well, in the manga at least we have Zeno killing Zamasu who was given immortality by the super dragon balls, and since the "Fusion Zamasu is semi immortal" doesn't seem to be part of his notes, then at least Zeno has potential to overpower a wish from the super dragon balls, doesn't mean he's immune to them or anything, just that Zalama may not be on Zeno's level, so it's pretty moot.
I see it more as equals then. Because Zeno can counter a wish made by a dragon made by Zalama while the dragon made by Zalama can undo something done by Zeno.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm

HeroR wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I literally said the vocal members of the community. So basically the people in the comments of youtube, other social media, sometimes real life. The people who i can hear/see talking about dragon ball.

The online community for any media no matter how big will always be the vocal minority. If it wasn’t, no one would have read Twilight or watched the live action Transformer movies or the Star Wars prequels.
First off. Those numbers are HUGE lowballs. How could only 1k db fans on twitter make DB trend worldwide multiple times? The youtube count is fair but thats assuming every db youtuber has the same fans and therefore, same commenters, as any other db youtuber which is false. Same with all the forums you listed. Why would every forum that discusses dragon ball have the exact same people making up each forum? Am i just understanding you wrong?

Second off, thats another thing. Watching a series or reading a series doesn’t really make you part of its community or fandom. But then again, that may be subjective. But again, i disagree and would say that the majority of a fandom are vocal about the series the love online because thats just how most humans are.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Miracles wrote: Goku used the energy of six Saiyans. And you still think it had nothing to do with power?
He used the energy of 6 saiyans to unlock the SSG transformation. That says nothing about God ki in particular, especially since there are so many SSG+ tier characters that don't have any, while many weaklings like most of the Kais do.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Rakurai wrote:

First off. Those numbers are HUGE lowballs. How could only 1k db fans on twitter make DB trend worldwide multiple times? The youtube count is fair but thats assuming every db youtuber has the same fans and therefore, same commenters, as any other db youtuber which is false. Same with all the forums you listed. Why would every forum that discusses dragon ball have the exact same people making up each forum? Am i just understanding you wrong?

Second off, thats another thing. Watching a series or reading a series doesn’t really make you part of its community or fandom. But then again, that may be subjective. But again, i disagree and would say that the majority of a fandom are vocal about the series the love online because thats just how most humans are.
You’re right it’s very subjective. I’ve been a fan of dragon ball since I was 8. So about 1998. I’ve bought the entire series (minus kai) and at some point even had trading cards. I just recently made an account. The only reason I made an account was because I was looking for updates on the series, and saw people posting BS statements online. You can’t sit here and say I wasn’t apart of the fandom until I made one of these accounts. Honestly, there’s a lot of people out there who are big fans of the show, but don’t really care to talk about it with anyone. I was one of those people. You’re not going to get an accurate assessment of the all the fans of the series since not everyone likes dealing with social media.

I know I’m singling our an isolated statement you made, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.
How i predict the tournament will end:

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 pm

If you unironically think db avatars on twitter, kanzenshuu , and reddit make up most of the DB fanbase, I don't know what to say to you.

These groups I mentioned above were crying about broly being announced as if slavery was reinstated and you would think he's not popular at all when in reality , he was always one of the most popular characters in the entire franchise, hence 3 movies, 4d experience, in every single video game, fanmanga, toy sales, etc.

Get out of the hivemind, most fans of dragonball don't spend their time talking about it on the internet outside of the hardcore ones

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 pm

TheOne wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

You’re right it’s very subjective. I’ve been a fan of dragon ball since I was 8. So about 1998. I’ve bought the entire series (minus kai) and at some point even had trading cards. I just recently made an account. The only reason I made an account was because I was looking for updates on the series, and saw people posting BS statements online. You can’t sit here and say I wasn’t apart of the fandom until I made one of these accounts. Honestly, there’s a lot of people out there who are big fans of the show, but don’t really care to talk about it with anyone. I was one of those people. You’re not going to get an accurate assessment of the all the fans of the series since not everyone likes dealing with social media.

I know I’m singling our an isolated statement you made, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.
I more leaning towards “just watching a show because its on doesn’t make you apart of its community”. You gotta go the extra mile. For example, rather than watch it because its on, you’d actually go looking for the show to watch it. You’d be invested in it. You’d plan your schedule so that you’d have time to see the latest episodes when they drop. You have to do at least that.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: First off. Those numbers are HUGE lowballs. How could only 1k db fans on twitter make DB trend worldwide multiple times? The youtube count is fair but thats assuming every db youtuber has the same fans and therefore, same commenters, as any other db youtuber which is false. Same with all the forums you listed. Why would every forum that discusses dragon ball have the exact same people making up each forum? Am i just understanding you wrong?

The Twitter trending is very circumstantial. Most of the people who spread the hashtag are riding on some hype train, not discussing the series. Most of the hashtags on Twitter that I see for DB are for fan art or merchandise. And DB fan art tweets compared to other more popular fan art like for Fate get significantly less likes/retweets by far - ~1-1k likes vs 1k~10k likes based on personal feed.

The last Twitter trending worldwide for DB was regarding some Japanese bloke who ran through all the DB volumes and said that they don't understand why ppl like it. A really pissed Japanese Twitter base garnered about ~65k hashtags. If I ever see the DBS manga being so bad that Japan or some part of the world makes DBS trend even a tenth of that, then I'll concede.

But anyways I'm quite certain that 65k ppl aren't discussing DB when something new comes out about it. That's my point, most ppl don't bother dealing with social media and having discussions like this. Most fans are casual, and that's what matters most to the publishing company - appealing to the mass consumer.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:33 am

Miracles wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Miracles wrote:I love the way Toriyama actually makes red and blue GODLIKE. He's actually showing that red and blue is all that is necessary to compete.
Showing that god ki ain't useless but stands up to it's name as something special.
I'm not really seeing any difference. Broly just seems another character that doesn't have God ki and will keep up with them.
Yeah but from an In-Universe standpoint it would make no sense for KK Blue or SSBE to not appear so they need to be present.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:25 am

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Yeah but from an In-Universe standpoint it would make no sense for KK Blue or SSBE to not appear so they need to be present.
That's assuming Toriyama is following TOEI's version of his outline. So far, that isn't the case.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:42 am

Kinokima wrote:

I just pointed out to you that Dragon Ball Super manga topped the charts for both 2017 and the first half of 2018 that’s in comparison to ALL manga in Japan. It’s individual volumes also always rank on the weekly charts. The fact that V-Jump has a smaller circulation and Dragon Ball Super still sells so well in Japan shows its not a minorty.

As for non-Japanese fans I don’t have sales figures for that but the manga is sold in multiple countries. In fact my friends in Spain & Argentina have volumes out ahead of Viz. Nothing shows the manga is selling poorly.

And when I said it sells better than the anime I meant the DBS anime DVDs/BR do not rank in comparison to other anime while the DBS manga does rank in sales in comparison to other manga. This is just in Japan. I believe the anime does sell quite well in the US.
It is a minority since we're not just talking about Japan, but worldwide.

I know what you meant and that isn't a good comparison since DVDs in Japan don't sell well, period. Regardless if it's Dragon Ball or One Piece.
Kanassa wrote:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:47 am

Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
That's assuming Toriyama is following TOEI's version of his outline. So far, that isn't the case.
Well I mean it's already known that Toyotaro will cover the Broly story in his manga so isn't it the natural conclusion that the movie will over the anime continuity? It wouldn't make sense for the manga to have the movie and an additional couple chapters to cover it as well
zarmack wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote: this could also explain why he trained to get SSG.
He already had SSG long before the ToP. He got it after BoG through training with Whis for 6 months. You need SSG in order to use SSB in the first place (which is why it was originally called SSGSS.)
I get your point, but Vegeta achieved SSG after the 6 month period. When he was training with Goku and only then did he even feel what God Ki was even like.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:05 am

zarmack wrote:And the real peak of power in DB is Toribot, not Zeno.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.