Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm

zarmack wrote:
HeroR wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I was infuriated when I heard about the title of the movie. The original Broly is one of the worst characters in the franchise if not the worst character in the franchise. But this isn't just Broly, this is Toriyama's Broly. And Toriyama has only let me down with Minus, so I trust that he'll make Broly into at least a decent character.

This is important to note.
Broly isn't that bad, honestly, outside of the stupid crying baby thing. I can honestly named much worst than Broly and I only find him annoying because of his fandom.
Most of the Broly hate in the Western fandom boils down to snobbery and pseudo-intellectualism. The type of fans who worship Team4Star, put Pre-Raditz DB on a sacred pedestal and are in deep denial of the fact that DB is largely a chady fight series lol. They're also the type of fans who spread the lie about Broly not being popular in Japan (when in reality he's arguably the 2nd most popular DB villain over there after Freeza).
This was annoying to deal with, Bio Broly his 3rd film came out in 1994 in Japan. DBZ didn't start airing until the late 90's in the West... And FUNi didn't even dub the movies until into the 2000's... So that should've told people about Broly's popularity in Japan. Yet some people never bothered to research that, that's part of the problem with some fans they look at things in isolation and don't bother to research things, it's why still today I have quash this ridiculous misconception that some people have about modern DB & merchandise, they see DB makes money and think that tells the entire story & unsurprisingly it's people that have never been in the merch thread.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
zarmack wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Broly isn't that bad, honestly, outside of the stupid crying baby thing. I can honestly named much worst than Broly and I only find him annoying because of his fandom.
Most of the Broly hate in the Western fandom boils down to snobbery and pseudo-intellectualism. The type of fans who worship Team4Star, put Pre-Raditz DB on a sacred pedestal and are in deep denial of the fact that DB is largely a chady fight series lol. They're also the type of fans who spread the lie about Broly not being popular in Japan (when in reality he's arguably the 2nd most popular DB villain over there after Freeza).
This was annoying to deal with, Bio Broly his 3rd film came out in 1994 in Japan. DBZ didn't start airing until the late 90's in the West... And FUNi didn't even dub the movies until into the 2000's... So that should've told people about Broly's popularity in Japan. Yet some people never bothered to research that, that's part of the problem with some fans they look at things in isolation and don't bother to research things, it's why still today I have quash this ridiculous misconception that some people have about modern DB & merchandise, they see DB makes money and think that tells the entire story & unsurprisingly it's people that have never been in the merch thread.
I wish someone would bring that up more on social media.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:This was annoying to deal with, Bio Broly his 3rd film came out in 1994 in Japan. DBZ didn't start airing until the late 90's in the West... And FUNi didn't even dub the movies until into the 2000's... So that should've told people about Broly's popularity in Japan. Yet some people never bothered to research that, that's part of the problem with some fans they look at things in isolation and don't bother to research things, it's why still today I have quash this ridiculous misconception that some people have about modern DB & merchandise, they see DB makes money and think that tells the entire story & unsurprisingly it's people that have never been in the merch thread.
And I'm pretty sure The Real 4D with Broly God wasn't targeted at western audiences.

Mattias_
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mattias_ » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 pm

ADMINISTRATIVE EDIT: This post (and subsequent, now removed ones by this user) claiming to be "MAJOR SPOILERS" is an example of extremely inappropriate Kanzenshuu community behavior and should not be viewed in any way as acceptable or encouraged. This is not, has never been, and never will be how responsible "leaks" or "reveals" happen here. Subsequent posts referencing this are being removed to clean up the mess; help us help you by not responding to posts of this type and instead reporting them using the built-in functionality.

There is nothing in this post to respond to, ask about, mention on social media, or cite in a news article/video. We are leaving it here to make an example of.

Last edited by Mattias_ on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWER LEVELS: (Updated / Restored / Leveled / No multiplier nor daizenshuu wrong info)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14197&p=1519362#p1519362 Check it out if you want some information.

POWER LEVELS:

Jaco the Patrolman vol. I - XI
Dragon Ball Minus
Dragon Ball vol. I - XLII
Dragon Ball Super manga cap. 1 - ???

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:25 pm

zarmack wrote:
HeroR wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I was infuriated when I heard about the title of the movie. The original Broly is one of the worst characters in the franchise if not the worst character in the franchise. But this isn't just Broly, this is Toriyama's Broly. And Toriyama has only let me down with Minus, so I trust that he'll make Broly into at least a decent character.

This is important to note.
To be fair, I put all of Dragon Ball above Z, especially the lastest parts. Turned me into a casual fan to loving the series after watching the original series.
Last edited by HeroR on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:49 pm

I saw this a little bit ago: https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1055687300749811712 I'm assuming that's the main stage presentation that was mentioned previously?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:42 pm

HeroR wrote:
zarmack wrote:
HeroR wrote:
To be fair, I put all of Dragon Ball above Z, especially the lastest parts. Turned me into a casual fan to loving the series after watching the original series.
You rank GT over Z? If so, I'm forced to question your sanity lol

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I think a fair few people here are sort of under-estimating the importance and effect good direction can have on a film...

Also, based on Takashi Otsuka's comment, I think he may be hinting at them placing Nagamine as the head of any major future DB projects, which, honestly, isn't that surprising, nor would it be unwelcome. Nagamine was definitely the most influential series director on Super, so him directing a new series, or even a set of movies, would be nice, especially if his given the liberty to freely exert some real creative control over the project, as opposed to his more haphazard implementation of things in Super.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Noah wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:Am I the only one expecting a Gogeta Re-design? Granted I wont mind if he looked like his movie 12 incarnation, but if we're being consistent here, everyone who's being reintroduced in this movie got make-overs, so Gogeta should be getting one too, right?
Yes. I expected a new design for Vegetto in the Future Trunks arc and we got the same old one, probably will be the same Gogeta as well..
Well In the case of Vegetto he was a last minute plug in.. So knowing that i'm not surprised he didnt get much love added to him but with this Gogeta if he indeed does appear, I feel like there's a strong chance that Toriyama might have redesigned a bit more in his own image. Honestly I'd be surprised if he used the name Gogeta at all, Toriyama might not be the most consistent when comes to the level of love he has for his million dollar franchise, but he does have Pride as its creator, he isnt known for completely adopting ideas that arent his own.

Vegetto only exist as he is because Toei got to the Goku/Vegeta fusion before Toriyama did. Chances are, if he does use the fusion dance in this movie, Gogeta will probably look a little different and he might actually go by Vegetto! That seems crazy and unneeded but remember, this is Toriyama guys, he's not browsing Forums and Youtube trying to figure out what his fans want to see. That's a good thing honestly.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Noah wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:Am I the only one expecting a Gogeta Re-design? Granted I wont mind if he looked like his movie 12 incarnation, but if we're being consistent here, everyone who's being reintroduced in this movie got make-overs, so Gogeta should be getting one too, right?
Yes. I expected a new design for Vegetto in the Future Trunks arc and we got the same old one, probably will be the same Gogeta as well..
Well In the case of Vegetto he was a last minute plug in.. So knowing that i'm not surprised he didnt get much love added to him but with this Gogeta if he indeed does appear, I feel like there's a strong chance that Toriyama might have redesigned a bit more in his own image. Honestly I'd be surprised if he used the name Gogeta at all, Toriyama might not be the most consistent when comes to the level of love he has for his million dollar franchise, but he does have Pride as its creator, he isnt known for completely adopting ideas that arent his own.

Vegetto only exist as he is because Toei got to the Goku/Vegeta fusion before Toriyama did. Chances are, if he does use the fusion dance in this movie, Gogeta will probably look a little different and he might actually go by Vegetto! That seems crazy and unneeded but remember, this is Toriyama guys, he's not browsing Forums and Youtube trying to figure out what his fans want to see. That's a good thing honestly.
Toei is not going to let Toriyama rename their character.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:59 am

PFM18 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
zarmack wrote:
You rank GT over Z? If so, I'm forced to question your sanity lol
When did I mentioned GT? I mean the original Dragon Ball or the first half of the manga before Raditz.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:30 am

I posted this in the FUNimation section but no one responded.

I noticed Sabat voices King Cold in the Broly Trailer 2. Who do you think they will cast for the actual dubbing of the film? Brad Jackson (Z's King Cold) or Jason Douglas (Kai's King Cold). I could see them going back to Brad Jackson only because Beerus is in this movie and Jason Douglas' King Cold sounds very close to his Beerus.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:29 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I saw this a little bit ago: https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1055687300749811712 I'm assuming that's the main stage presentation that was mentioned previously?
30 mins just to say DBS is back? Lol. I am guessing the panel will have a lot of time wasting and any announcement will probably happen at the end. Probably not worth me staying up I think.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I saw this a little bit ago: https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1055687300749811712 I'm assuming that's the main stage presentation that was mentioned previously?
30 mins just to say DBS is back? Lol. I am guessing the panel will have a lot of time wasting and any announcement will probably happen at the end. Probably not worth me staying up I think.
I imagine they'll take time to talk about the movie too. Hopefully there's more than that. Not much point having Super on the main stage just to fart around and fill time for 20 minutes. They could just squeeze that into the DBH presentation like last year.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:16 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
He won't be there just for that as they might as well bring everyone along.

Among everyone non-Goku/Vegeta, he's the one most suited for the job. Not saying this is 100% his role in the movie, just that it's a possibility. This is a saiyan-centric story after all, and one with a shorter run-time than expected. The promotional material shouldn't be seen as an indicator, we get tricked like this all the time.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

I'm still pissed that we're not getting a 3 hour (despite Toriyama writing a 3 hour script), largely because it means the film's story won't be as in depth as the producers said it would, and that it means that this film's story will most likely get retold in TV form when the anime comes back (instead of skipping ahead to a new arc).

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:08 am

Don’t know if it had been previously fully confirmed, but Vic confirmed he is voicing Broly for the film at a London comicon panel today.

I just thought I’d note as I recall some confusion over the roar from the 1st trailer

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:11 am

zarmack wrote:I'm still pissed that we're not getting a 3 hour (despite Toriyama writing a 3 hour script), largely because it means the film's story won't be as in depth as the producers said it would, and that it means that this film's story will most likely get retold in TV form when the anime comes back (instead of skipping ahead to a new arc).
Longer isn't always better. I'd rather have a well-paced two-hour movie than a drawn out three hour one. The longer retellings of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F movies were not better than the original movies, and the extra stuff they put in (like Ginyu returning, despite the Earth being destroyed in the Buu arc and having evil people excluded from being wished back) just padded out the run time without doing anything interesting.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:22 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
zarmack wrote:I'm still pissed that we're not getting a 3 hour (despite Toriyama writing a 3 hour script), largely because it means the film's story won't be as in depth as the producers said it would, and that it means that this film's story will most likely get retold in TV form when the anime comes back (instead of skipping ahead to a new arc).
Longer isn't always better. I'd rather have a well-paced two-hour movie than a drawn out three hour one. The longer retellings of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F movies were not better than the original movies, and the extra stuff they put in (like Ginyu returning, despite the Earth being destroyed in the Buu arc and having evil people excluded from being wished back) just padded out the run time without doing anything interesting.
I for one welcome a tv retelling now. Not only will it give Toriyama and the writers time to get their shit together and properly flesh out or properly plan the next arc, but at was said, we have about a whole mother movie’s worth of content we missed out on in both script and storyboard which saves storyboarders some time too. And with a somewhat based lore movie like this, we could get more Planet Vegeta saiyan history. Hell, they could even do what they did with Boruto and reuse some of the better animated parts of the movie to save Toei’s top dog animators for the next arc’s bigger moments. I could see it being about 13 episodes.

3 hours is about 7.5 episodes. Stretch to 13 by expanding upon stuff and we have a good retelling
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 am

The cut material was probably really slow in terns of content, so I doubt anything major is missing. We'll get it back for the TV series, anyway.

I just don't want the arc to be longer than nine episodes. A full cour is too long.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf