Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 am

JulieYBM wrote:The cut material was probably really slow in terns of content, so I doubt anything major is missing. We'll get it back for the TV series, anyway.

I just don't want the arc to be longer than nine episodes. A full cour is too long.
It would be really lame and disappointing if the cut material is just gags (though knowing Toriyama, It wouldn't be surprising).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:33 am

I don't want any more year long arcs when the show comes back. The ToP nearly burned me out. I'm much happier with shorter, season-length arcs going forward.

Having year long arcs works for Precure because they reboot the universe every year. Not so much for DBS.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:47 am

I was glad we got longer saga at the end, I thought that was what was missing when compared to Z. Where the Namek saga was about 60 episodes and the Android saga and Buu Saga were around a 100 episodes.

I wasn't a fan of how the first three sagas in Super were only about 13 episodes.

I wouldn't be against another saga as long as the Tournament of Power one but it would need to be broken down into sections like in the past.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Long sagas are nice when you can binge watch the episodes in batches. They're a lot harder to digest weekly. I've said it before but I would never be able to make it through Namek on a weekly schedule.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Bullza wrote:I was glad we got longer saga at the end, I thought that was what was missing when compared to Z. Where the Namek saga was about 60 episodes and the Android saga and Buu Saga were around a 100 episodes.

I wasn't a fan of how the first three sagas in Super were only about 13 episodes.

I wouldn't be against another saga as long as the Tournament of Power one but it would need to be broken down into sections like in the past.
The sections breakdown were in the Funi dub, not the Japanese run. Like Namek was on arc from Vegeta leaving Earth to everyone being revived.

That and Kai, for better or worst, is the proper pacing for the manga outside of Buu Kai so those arcs wouldn’t be 60+ episodes today if they were seasonal like MHA.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Chuquita wrote:I don't want any more year long arcs when the show comes back. The ToP nearly burned me out. I'm much happier with shorter, season-length arcs going forward.

Having year long arcs works for Precure because they reboot the universe every year. Not so much for DBS.
I'm of the opposite opinion. I think DBS's arcs have generally been too short. The problem with the ToP arc being so long was that there wasn't much to it. It was just a lot of fighting. Not much mystery or plot. I'd like it if DBS came back with more traditional arcs like what we got in DBZ. The Zamasu arc came pretty close. More of that, but better, would be nice. I also feel that the arcs in Super don't connect to each other like they did in Z. They feel very disjointed, and the characters seem like they're trapped in a time capsule that won't let them age or develop. We saw Gohan grow up in Z, but Super refuses to let Trunks and Goten age. Heck, even Bulma and Krillin look younger than before.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:17 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I don't want any more year long arcs when the show comes back. The ToP nearly burned me out. I'm much happier with shorter, season-length arcs going forward.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think DBS's arcs have generally been too short. The problem with the ToP arc being so long was that there wasn't much to it. It was just a lot of fighting. Not much mystery or plot. I'd like it if DBS came back with more traditional arcs like what we got in DBZ. The Zamasu arc came pretty close. More of that, but better, would be nice. I also feel that the arcs in Super don't connect to each other like they did in Z. They feel very disjointed, and the characters seem like they're trapped in a time capsule that won't let them age or develop. We saw Gohan grow up in Z, but Super refuses to let Trunks and Goten age. Heck, even Bulma and Krillin look younger than before.
To me, only the Saiyan and Namek Saga connected. Android/Cell Saga had almost nothing to do with Namek and Freeza coming back could have been skip and the plot wouldn’t change outside of Cell not having Freeza’s DNA. Buu was just a time skip that only had loose connections to what happened in the previous arc.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:50 pm

There's no sustaining long arcs. Dragon Ball rarely has story content that would work even as twenty-six episodes. Every arc in Super was too long for its story content and even Dragon Ball Z was too long in most respects. Twenty-six episodes should be the maximum in length even for the Namek, Artificial Hunans or Majin Buu arcs.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:05 pm

It seems per Herm's translation that this transformation of Broly's Full Power is a unique form to him (for now) triggered by great sorrow. I'm really liking this direction if they expand upon it. I'd love to have different transformations of Super Saiyan triggered by certain emotions. Rage (the current gold line-up), Sorrow (Broly's state), and so on. Imagine if someone like Vegeta felt pure happiness and what kind of power that'd bring out of him, though I'd pick Super Saiyan God for that state of mind.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:08 pm

I like the different emotion route, too. Does that make God the form of the emotion 'righteousness', I wonder?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:17 pm

HeroR wrote:The sections breakdown were in the Funi dub, not the Japanese run.
I wasn't referring to that but how the Buu saga involved Gohan's time at School, the World Martial Arts Tournament, the stuff with Babidi and Dabura, then the different versions of Buu.

I wouldn't mind a much longer saga in Super just so long as it wasn't all just the one thing.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:29 pm

HeroR wrote:To me, only the Saiyan and Namek Saga connected. Android/Cell Saga had almost nothing to do with Namek and Freeza coming back could have been skip and the plot wouldn’t change outside of Cell not having Freeza’s DNA. Buu was just a time skip that only had loose connections to what happened in the previous arc.
True. The main story of the Android/Cell Saga had little to do with the previous arcs, but saying you could skip it and lose out on nothing isn't true. The plot may not have been connected, but character arcs and consequences from previous arcs were very much present. For instance, Gohan was built up from the very beginning of Z to have this huge hidden power, and possibly even be a successor to Goku. This all comes to a head at the end of the Cell arc, where we learn that Gohan is not like his father. He doesn't enjoy fighting (which is followed up on more in the Buu arc, when he turns out not to be Goku's successor after all), but he does have amazing power when he is forced to protect what matters to him. The consequences of Goku's disappearance at the end of the Frieza Saga is followed up on, connecting the two sagas. Plus, Cell served as a symbol for all of Goku's past battles coming back to haunt him. He's built by the Red Army and has cells from Piccolo, Vegeta, Frieza, and other foes Goku faced in the past.

The Cell saga would have been a good place to end the series, but the Buu saga had much to offer as well. Again, Goku is gone after his death in the previous arc. Vegeta is revealed to still be holding on to a grudge with Goku, resulting in him turning to the dark side for a chance to finally best his rival, only for him to finally acknowledge and come to peace with the fact that Goku was "better." Because of Gohan's lack of a thirst for battle, he falls behind in his training. While he does get a significant power boost capable of destroying Buu, he's not a replacement for Goku. Goku, in a way, is forced to realize that he was perhaps being unfair putting such a burden on his children. He does eventually find Uub, however, who could be his successor (ironically being the greatest threat to the universe in a previous life), ending with the two flying away. Of course, we also see Gohan with his daughter Pan, Goten and Trunks as older teenagers, and all the older non-alien characters showing signs of age. All in all, Z worked as a serial production, whereas Super doesn't quite work as well.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Goku will use at least two other forms in the movie yet the marketing will probably tell you otherwise. We get it Goku will use SSGSS lol. Lack of SS marketing makes sense as they've lately realised marketing base forms is more efficient now than that but they're marketing SSG Vegeta a fair bit yet barely anything for SSG Goku, been that way since BoG, really. I don't know why. I am convinced someone at the marketing dept hates the form. Though most importantly he is in the movie, it still hurts my soul a bit, I love SSGSS too but they're really going overboard with the marketing of that form with Goku.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Xeztin wrote:It seems per Herm's translation that this transformation of Broly's Full Power is a unique form to him (for now) triggered by great sorrow. I'm really liking this direction if they expand upon it. I'd love to have different transformations of Super Saiyan triggered by certain emotions. Rage (the current gold line-up), Sorrow (Broly's state), and so on. Imagine if someone like Vegeta felt pure happiness and what kind of power that'd bring out of him, though I'd pick Super Saiyan God for that state of mind.
It sounds like Full Power is a mutation which is something I've seen people theorize before. It being triggered by great sorrow lines up pretty nicely with what happened to Kale. The first time she transformed into Berserk she was overcome with self-hatred and sadness from her feelings of weakness and uselessness. The second time too. She was in tears before she turned it rage at Goku.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:39 pm

I still support ssjg Gokû. He may not currently be my avatar (because I really like bouncy base Gokû from the teaser) but when more images from the movie featuring ssjg Gokû come out I'll probably make one of them my avatar.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Xeztin wrote:It seems per Herm's translation that this transformation of Broly's Full Power is a unique form to him (for now) triggered by great sorrow. I'm really liking this direction if they expand upon it. I'd love to have different transformations of Super Saiyan triggered by certain emotions. Rage (the current gold line-up), Sorrow (Broly's state), and so on. Imagine if someone like Vegeta felt pure happiness and what kind of power that'd bring out of him, though I'd pick Super Saiyan God for that state of mind.

I'm not sure that's what it's hinting at. Personally, I think it suggests that someone Broly cares about will get killed and that's what will trigger his strongest transformation. It's basically not much different than what Goku did when Freeza killed Krillin and a trope they've used a lot in this series.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I like the different emotion route, too. Does that make God the form of the emotion 'righteousness', I wonder?
I think that'd be more in line with SSB Evolution.

That form was attained by Vegeta when he focused on his promise to Cabba, a display of pure selflessness.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Xeztin wrote:Broly's Full Power is a unique form to him (for now)
I hope this does not imply that the "green haired" form is going to be handed out to everyone
Last edited by CTAkuma on Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:22 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
I hope this does not imply that the "green haired" form is going to be handed out to everyone and is actually an "exclusive" transformation
The line is already bs considering Kale has it. And while it maybe be small, i’d be really annoyed if Kale isn’t mentioned once in reference to Broly’s Full Power form in the movie
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
I hope this does not imply that the "green haired" form is going to be handed out to everyone and is actually an "exclusive" transformation
The line is already bs considering Kale has it. And while it maybe be small, i’d be really annoyed if Kale isn’t mentioned once in reference to Broly’s Full Power form in the movie
Kale isn't "everyone", i meant handed out like Super Saiyan is, i'd like for it to stay a genetic mutated form only.