Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:14 pm

What TOEI has done with the franchise (especially after the debacle that was the first 2 arcs of Super) is really something. I don't think I've ever seen a company kill it so much reviving a franchise. The good will between the fanbase and the DB property was already stratospheric after the ending of "Super". With the success of Broly, Dragon Ball has its future secured; even if they don't produce anything new for years.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:11 pm

foxfang4 wrote:What TOEI has done with the franchise (especially after the debacle that was the first 2 arcs of Super) is really something. I don't think I've ever seen a company kill it so much reviving a franchise. The good will between the fanbase and the DB property was already stratospheric after the ending of "Super". With the success of Broly, Dragon Ball has its future secured; even if they don't produce anything new for years.
Speaking of success.... Bandai have just sold out their July reservations for their ¥10,584 Premium set for July and opened reservations for a second August shipment.... that is f**king nuts.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:50 pm

One thing i dident liked on the action scenes. The ''camera" just never stand still and spining all over. Its never standing still. It gives you the illusion of speed when it isnt really fast

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Saw someone on another site point out something about the one wish Dragonballs: In Super, the DBs were last used in a filler episode where Shenron left before anyone could use the last wish. So while it probably wasn't intentional, that does cover the plot hole

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:52 pm

ironfist2020 wrote:One thing i dident liked on the action scenes. The ''camera" just never stand still and spining all over. Its never standing still. It gives you the illusion of speed when it isnt really fast
Shaky cam isnt always just for speed illusions, but it did get a bit overbaring in parts.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Been to see it in the theater twice already and going to see it for a third time tomorrow, this time in IMAX.

It absolutely blew me away and you could almost feel the energy that was generated from the people in the theater on both occasions . An absolute feast for the eyes & ears.

Bravo Toei! :clap: :clap:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:Been to see it in the theater twice already and going to see it for a third time tomorrow, this time in IMAX.

It absolutely blew me away and you could almost feel the energy that was generated from the people in the theater on both occasions . An absolute feast for the eyes & ears.

Bravo Toei! :clap: :clap:
Sadly no IMAX near me :( I have already used my budget for travel etc for The Dark Knight @ BFI next month otherwise I would have travelled!

Best moment for me was when the theatre collectively clapped when Broly beat the crap out of Freeza! :lol:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Kanassa wrote:
nato25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: But that one shot, the one you take issue with (Even though I'd hardly call the only other example hardly sexualizing), isn't sexualizing her. Nothing tantalizing about the way it's shot, drawn or the view we're given.
If it just happened once I would probably just have let it slip but the fact it was back to back shots forced me to notice
'Back-to-back'? The scene you mention are 20 to thirty minutes apart.
. And even in that one shot her ass was taking up the majority of the screen and she was bent over.
Her ass took up barely any of the screen and was pushed to the side. Leemo took up more of the screen leaning over her.
I don't know if you guys watch music videos or not but thats sexy pose 101 right there.
It's a sexy pose when viewed from certain angles. From behind, from the front, tilted side or from above. When you frame it from the side with little detail, nothing much visible and the character themselves being drawn flat, you're not framing it sexually.
I just took issue with the sexualisation of a character that wasn't trying to be that in the slightest and it diminished her character in that scene and turned a strong female character into a sex object. Her dialogue was lessened because I was distracted by the unnecessary way the camera was framed. To me she wasn't portrayed like that in any other scene so why it was done that way in those 30 or so seconds is out of my understanding.
If that flaccid shot diminished her character, that sexy shower scene must have really degraded Broly
When the blu-ray comes out hopefully we can this discussion again with more evidence and fresher memories. The scene I am talking about was definitely not 20 to 30 minutes apart. I think youre referencing the boob armour stretch scene which I took no problem with.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but do the bug aliens have a xenomorph hiss when they first appear?

Also am I the only one who wants a pet Vampa Beast like Ba?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but do the bug aliens have a xenomorph hiss when they first appear?

Also am I the only one who wants a pet Vampa Beast like Ba?
Assuming you can befriend it like Broly did :P

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 pm

nato25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: If that flaccid shot diminished her character, that sexy shower scene must have really degraded Broly
When the blu-ray comes out hopefully we can this discussion again with more evidence and fresher memories. The scene I am talking about was definitely not 20 to 30 minutes apart. I think youre referencing the boob armour stretch scene which I took no problem with.
I want there to be an extended scene of Broly in the shower and we get something like this, just with Cheelai. :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxUcIgvBIa8
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Read this review from variety.com and couldn't help but laugh at all backlash this critic is receiving. It was well deserved, lol!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 12731/amp/
The world is your's.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Who watched it more than once already, in the theater? I watched it twice so far! :D

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:24 pm

I've seen it twice, plan to catch it a third time during this bonus week. I'm pretty sure it's my favorite Dragon Ball movie. It's pumped me up for this franchise so much, I've even started reading the Super manga which I wasn't doing before.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:08 pm

funrush wrote:I've seen it twice, plan to catch it a third time during this bonus week. I'm pretty sure it's my favorite Dragon Ball movie. It's pumped me up for this franchise so much, I've even started reading the Super manga which I wasn't doing before.
That's so cool. I've not read the Super manga yet because I am still on the pre-DBZ part of the manga. :( I have to catch up big time.

dblack
Beyond Newbie

Post by dblack » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:21 pm

Really liked the dub.
Pleasantly surprised by the story, action and animation was as expected but didn’t blow me away. I think the shaky cameras and flashing lights kept me from processing the fights sometimes, looking forward to rewatching.
Think Broly could’ve spent a little more time pummeling Goku or Vegeta before the fusion, seemed pretty out of place for a barely-winded Goku to IT out and fuse.
Other than that I was thoroughly entertained for the entire duration.
Hope to hear something new announced in the near future.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:25 am

Now I still haven't seen the film, but there's something I gotta ask to the people that have seen it, based on what I read...
Does anyone else feel that Broly's Super Saiyan Berserk form (I'm still not calling it Super Saiyan Full Power) is kinda treated like a joke? Seriously, they promoted that form so heavily in the market, yet here comes the actual film and it only gets like what, 3 to 4 minutes of screentime? Yeah, not very Legendary, am I right?
Caulifla best girl! :)

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Now I still haven't seen the film, but there's something I gotta ask to the people that have seen it, based on what I read...
Does anyone else feel that Broly's Super Saiyan Berserk form (I'm still not calling it Super Saiyan Full Power) is kinda treated like a joke? Seriously, they promoted that form so heavily in the market, yet here comes the actual film and it only gets like what, 3 to 4 minutes of screentime? Yeah, not very Legendary, am I right?
You're absolutely right. It only gets a couple minutes yeah. But his normal SSJ seems to get closer and closer to the legendary SSJ as the fight progresses, but he doesn't actually hit it and get that LSSJ shot with the associated absurd burst of power until the very end.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:14 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Now I still haven't seen the film, but there's something I gotta ask to the people that have seen it, based on what I read...
Well, it's not supposed to be legendary, after all.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 am

To be fair, that might be partly due to it making its debut via a trippy CGI sequence, so its impact probably isn't as great as it could've been.

Not to mention that as soon as Broly went Full-Power, Gogeta went SSB and instantly started murking Broly, presumably because he wanted to ensure a clear advantage over Broly. At the very least, we get to see that this power is still NOTHING to the top dogs of the franchise.