Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:10 am

Michsi wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Michsi wrote:When it comes to the age thing, I'm of two minds: one one hand I like that they stay young-looking so long, but on the other hand, even at the end of DB, Vegeta and Goku did look a lot more mature. Thicker body type, laugh lines when grinning. They may not have looked like men in their 50's, but neither did they look quite so youthful as they do in the new style. Curious to see what they'll do with Krilling as he was pretty grandpa-ish in EOB.
I think Vegeta's age by EOZ is perfectly reflected in the current designs. There is nothing really boyish about how he looks, and his drawn with the same kind of edge as EOZ Vegeta was.

I think Goku is also fine, yes his older by Z, but his still perfectly young and jovial, and I think that's something the new designs actually reflect perfectly about the character.
I do think Vegeta looks a lot younger than he does in EOB. Larger eyes+ higher placed nose + thinner frame inevitably does that. His deep scowl is what makes him look older.

I don't mind that they look so young though. I like the designs.
His eyes are bigger in Super Saiyan, otherwise, they're pretty much identical with how he looks in EOZ.

Them looking older doesn't change much at all, so I don't see much point in saying "his left butt cheek should be slightly saggier"(I'm exaggerating, by you get my drift), I think its redundant considering the obvious intent was to make the Saiyan characters pretty much unchanging in appearance past a certain point so they could keep their look the same past that point.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 am

With Goku looking like that, I need to have scenes like this again, it's only fair

The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:54 am

JulieYBM wrote:I wonder if the Saiyan in the trailer is actually Lemo? We don't really see a close-up of his face and Lemo's head is mostly covered by his cap. Maybe Lemo is a really old Saiyan or a hybrid?
Can’t tell if you’re joking or not.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 am

JazzMazz wrote:His eyes are bigger in Super Saiyan, otherwise, they're pretty much identical with how he looks in EOZ.

Them looking older doesn't change much at all, so I don't see much point in saying "his left butt cheek should be slightly saggier"(I'm exaggerating, by you get my drift), I think its redundant considering the obvious intent was to make the Saiyan characters pretty much unchanging in appearance past a certain point so they could keep their look the same past that point.
Well, you can visually rely the same idea in a multitude of ways. They looked just as unchanged in Yamamuro's style. The new style just adds a pinch more of youthfulness, especially Goku.

And I'm looking at the last chapter now, they do look different. Longer faces, more pronounced chins. Regardless whether or not they were supposed to look the same as in their prime, Toriyama's style did make them seem older than this one does.

I'm just saying that I see the point of those people that say they look a bit too young.
Ki Breaker wrote:With Goku looking like that, I need to have scenes like this again, it's only fair

Is this about Goku's hair or Chichi?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 am

Michsi wrote: Is this about Goku's hair or Chichi?
Frankly, It's about both, that Goku look as well as a younger looking supporting cast is something I wouldn't mind having back
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Michsi wrote: Is this about Goku's hair or Chichi?
It's about both really, that Goku look as well as a younger looking supporting cast is something I wouldn't mind having back
Can't say I disagree. 23TB Chichi is one of the best designs in the franchise, so yup.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:17 pm

It almost seems like they are searching for the Yeti / Bigfoot.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Those coats look even cooler zipped up! And Goku has winter gloves! Now I want a Goku vs Vegeta snowball fight. :mrgreen:
I was actually thinking the exact same thing recently. Crossing my fingers that it actually happens.
They could let them even turn Blue, like in the baseball match.
That actually feels like a cool character interaction. I can see Goku starting that fight.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:28 pm

I like the icy snowy world. It offers opportunities for nice story telling before the fight: traces in the snow, mist, mystery, adventures, snowball fights, 'hunting for the yeti-atmosphere' ...
I'm mainly looking forward how they are going to combine / interact the adventures on that snowworld with the flashbacks into the past.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Wait, is it possible that Funimation is already in the process of dubbing this movie now as we speak?
Wouldn't surprise me considering their last two DB theatrical releases were dub only.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: I was actually thinking the exact same thing recently. Crossing my fingers that it actually happens.
They could let them even turn Blue, like in the baseball match.
That actually feels like a cool character interaction. I can see Goku starting that fight.
I can't see Goku doing that actually, if he wants to start a fight he would most likely do that with his fist..
If this event has to take place, a third person has to initiate it

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:I like the icy snowy world. It offers opportunities for nice story telling before the fight: traces in the snow, mist, mystery, adventures, snowball fights, 'hunting for the yeti-atmosphere' ...
I'm mainly looking forward how they are going to combine / interact the adventures on that snowworld with the flashbacks into the past.
Basically a Dragon Ball holiday special. I approve.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: I can't see Goku doing that actually
He already did with Android 8 in The Path to Power Movie.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Toei Animation is teaming up with fathom events to have theaters air old dbz movies./tv specials Out of all the movies they could choose, they chose:

Bardock: The Father of Goku
Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan
And
Fusion Reborn

Crackpot theory: Toei already knows the story of the movie and the movies/tv specials they chose to have aired are clues. The Broly movie hints at the Super saiyan of legend (Yamoshi) is somehow related to the events of the movie. The Bardock special, hints at getting more saiyan backstory and their history with Freeza (and maybe Bardock makes a flashback appearance). And Fusion Reborn hints at... Gogeta??

https://mobile.twitter.com/ToeiAnimatio ... 8022488064

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:06 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: I can't see Goku doing that actually
He already did with Android 8 in The Path to Power Movie.
A lot is different in the situations you mention, but I understand why you would think that, with nothing to go on this is a possibility

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:14 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Toei Animation is teaming up with fathom events to have theaters air old dbz movies./tv specials Out of all the movies they could choose, they chose:

And
Fusion Reborn

Crackpot theory: Toei already knows the story of the movie and the movies/tv specials they chose to have aired are clues. The Broly movie hints at the Super saiyan of legend (Yamoshi) is somehow related to the events of the movie. The Bardock special, hints at getting more saiyan backstory and their history with Freeza (and maybe Bardock makes a flashback appearance). And Fusion Reborn hints at... Gogeta??

I've been thinking about why they'd chose to highlight these particular movies, too, and that they'd might tie in with the plot of the movie in some crossed my mind as well.

All I can say, please don't look for a way to add Bardock and Broly. Please!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Michsi wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Toei Animation is teaming up with fathom events to have theaters air old dbz movies./tv specials Out of all the movies they could choose, they chose:

And
Fusion Reborn

I've been thinking about why they'd chose to highlight these particular movies, too, and that they'd might tie in with the plot of the movie in some crossed my mind as well.

All I can say, please don't look for a way to add Bardock and Broly. Please!
Bardock? I can see that happening. Broly? Not a chance. Although i do think there is a possibility that one of the saiyan enemies we way get is going to have SSBerserk. Or Kale might be in the movie if they decide to have the U6 Trio in there.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:29 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Bardock? I can see that happening. Broly? Not a chance. Although i do think there is a possibility that one of the saiyan enemies we way get is going to have SSBerserk. Or Kale might be in the movie if they decide to have the U6 Trio in there.

I'm okay with the SSberserk mode. It's just that they already claimed that the movie will have a lot of fan-service moments, and, well, Bardock is fan-service at this point.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 pm

And
Fusion Reborn

I feel like they probably chose these because they're some of if not the most popular of the original 13 DBZ movies, plus Bardock.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 pm

It’s pretty much a given that a movie that is supposed to revolve around the Saiyans is going to have a fair amount of fan service. I just hope it isn’t excessive. To quote Red Letter Media, I don’t want the movie to be full of moments of “I clapped! I clapped when I saw it!”