Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:00 am

I would also prefer if he's not another of the good guys by the end of this. I want him chilling in his planet with the alien girl and sometimes(rarely) he pops up.

Being completely evil that would be a problem, because that would mean this movie might not have consequence like the Freeza one. When they could have set up Freeza for his current role in FnF instead of the "villain of the week" scenario where there's no progression at all just punches and kicks. Don't bring Broly just to kill him off immediately.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:20 am

LightBing wrote:I would also prefer if he's not another of the good guys by the end of this. I want him chilling in his planet with the alien girl and sometimes(rarely) he pops up.

Being completely evil that would be a problem, because that would mean this movie might not have consequence like the Freeza one. When they could have set up Freeza for his current role in FnF instead of the "villain of the week" scenario where there's no progression at all just punches and kicks. Don't bring Broly just to kill him off immediately.
I think they're beginning to 'get' that killing off famous characters isn't the best strategy - hence Frieza constantly coming back for more. Yet, Broly's imminent strength is a problem if he's irredeemable. We'll see.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
LightBing wrote:I would also prefer if he's not another of the good guys by the end of this. I want him chilling in his planet with the alien girl and sometimes(rarely) he pops up.

I think they're beginning to 'get' that killing off famous characters isn't the best strategy - hence Frieza constantly coming back for more. Yet, Broly's imminent strength is a problem if he's irredeemable. We'll see.
I think and have thought so for a while, that this Broly will bear resemblance to the one seen in Toyotaro's take on him. Driven insane by his father's brainwashing, until somebody comes along and calms him down, perhaps begrudgingly joining the cast?
In any case I'm looking forward to Cheelye's subplot with him. This could be very interesting.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:51 pm

kudo6000 wrote:
Miracles wrote:This new Broly is suppose to keep that classic image up as not to disappoint the fans.
No, he isn't. That's the point of revision.
Toriyama didn't say a revision; He added to Broly's character.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Miracles wrote:Toriyama didn't say a revision; He added to Broly's character.
It doesn't follow the events of any of the prior movies whatsoever, despite using the concept of Broly and Paragus themselves. It's literally, by definition, a revision.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:15 pm

sailorspazz wrote:
Bullza wrote:Reading the latest interview, I don't like how they feel the movie has to be 90 minutes.

One Piece Strong World was 113 minutes and One Piece Gold was 120 minutes.

So why can't we have a two hour Dragon Ball movie too? At least they said they pushed it past 90 minutes but they did say by a little bit.
I'm guessing that in this case, One Piece is the outlier because it's so huge in Japan, while other shounen series have to stick closer to the 90 minute mark since they're considered to be mainly of interest to children. They probably worry if a child-aimed movie goes on too long, the kids will get bored. This is just my guess since I haven't watched a ton of other shounen movies, but I recently saw the My Hero Academia one, and that was a bit over 90 minutes, too.

But yeah, I'm also curious how much this "little bit" over 90 will be. 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Probably not 30, since that seems like more than a little, but maybe up to 15? Who knows...
How popular is Dragon Ball compared to One Piece in Japan?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:35 pm

I don't mind that the movie is only 90min. Though I would like, when it comes to home video, that we get a Director's Cut of the movie with with a lot of the removed content that Toriyama had written, and at least bring it up to 2hrs.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Zelvin wrote:I don't mind that the movie is only 90min. Though I would like, when it comes to home video, that we get a Director's Cut of the movie with with a lot of the removed content that Toriyama had written, and at least bring it up to 2hrs.
I agree, and if we get a retelling for Super 2.0, i hope they ultilze the full 3 hours of storyboarding. And if they didn’t Want to copy the movie, at least use the left over about 90 minutes of boarding that wasn’t used for the movie.

But tbh, they should both re-use animation from fight scenes from the movie and use the left over storyboarding so that they won’t have to focus so much on stuff that we already know and but more time and effort into the next arc.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote:How popular is Dragon Ball compared to One Piece in Japan?
Well if it's any indication here's what the last two Dragon Ball and One Piece movies grossed in Japan. The movies came out pretty close together so there's no real difference in ticket prices or anything.

One Piece Film Z - ¥6.87 billion
One Piece Film Gold - ¥5.18 billion

Dragon Z Battle of Gods - ¥2.99 billion
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F - ¥3.74 billion

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Bullza wrote:
Well if it's any indication here's what the last two Dragon Ball and One Piece movies grossed in Japan. The movies came out pretty close together so there's no real difference in ticket prices or anything.

Wow. Japan really loves themselves some One Piece.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Bullza wrote:

Toei is expecting Broly to make 90 million $ which is 5 million more than One Piece Z's 85 million so DB's popularity is getting up there again. It's worth noting that when One Piece's last 2 movies came out they had an anime and manga ongoing while DB didn't.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 am

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Bullza wrote:

Toei is expecting Broly to make 90 million $ which is 5 million more than One Piece Z's 85 million so DB's popularity is getting up there again. It's worth noting that when One Piece's last 2 movies came out they had an anime and manga ongoing while DB didn't.
90 million domestically or internationally? Because I doubt they mean domestically when F only made 60M internationally.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 am

Doctor. wrote:90 million domestically or internationally? Because I doubt they mean domestically when F only made 60M internationally.
I assume internationally so Japan and every other country it releases in. I was expecting it to be within the 80s million range so they're close to what I thought it'd make.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 am

Doctor. wrote:
sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
90 million domestically or internationally? Because I doubt they mean domestically when F only made 60M internationally.
Surely Nagamine meant internationally. Dragon Ball's really big in Japan right now, but I don't think it can pull off those kinds of numbers domestically.

And One Piece Film Z made US$67 million domestically according to this ANN article, not US$85 million.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:38 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:One Piece Film Z made US$67 million domestically according to this ANN article, not US$85 million.
Why is it listed as 85 million on Wikipedia ? Box office mojo has it listed at 72 million in Japan.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:49 am

sintzu wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:One Piece Film Z made US$67 million domestically according to this ANN article, not US$85 million.
Why is it listed as 85 million on Wikipedia ? Box office mojo has it listed at 72 million in Japan.
The 85 million on Wikipedia is referring to world wide gross, but even then I still feel like it's incorrect. The Box Office Mojo one's a bit iffy, since that 72 million is dated at February 2013, but the ANN article is from May 2013. It's kind of confusing and I actually don't know for certain what the domestic gross total was. :lol:

If we convert the total from Yen to USD that Bullza mentioned, then the total is around US$62 million. Yep, I'm confused.

Basically, One Piece Film Z is Toei Animation's highest grossing film and Nagamine is aiming for this new Dragon Ball Super movie to beat it.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 am

Wiki lists worldwide gross which is $85 million. Out of which it made $70+ million in Japan alone. $77.1 million to be precise. It came out in 2013, so obviously exchange rates of that year is taken. ANN got the calculation wrong.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:15 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Wiki lists worldwide gross which is $85 million. Out of which it made $70+ million in Japan alone. $77.1 million to be precise. It came out in 2013, so obviously exchange rates of that year is taken. ANN got the calculation wrong.
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:46 am

Sintzu wrote:Toei is expecting Broly to make 90 million $
Really? Where did you get this from?
Doctor wrote:Because I doubt they mean domestically when F only made 60M internationally.
Well it was about $65 million. About $31 million of that was from Japan.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:The 85 million on Wikipedia is referring to world wide gross, but even then I still feel like it's incorrect. The Box Office Mojo one's a bit iffy, since that 72 million is dated at February 2013, but the ANN article is from May 2013. It's kind of confusing and I actually don't know for certain what the domestic gross total was. :lol:

If we convert the total from Yen to USD that Bullza mentioned, then the total is around US$62 million. Yep, I'm confused.
As mentioned above, simply put, One Piece Film Z made ¥6.87 billion in Japan which at the time was about $77 million in US dollars. Now because the exchange rate has shifted a lot it would be about $62 million. The way Box Office Mojo does the exchange rate isn't quite as accurate but they've got it at $73 million on their site. The $85 million would be worldwide including whichever Japanese gross they pulled from.

The exchange rate is important because it meant that even though Resurrection F made 25% more than Battle of Gods in Yen, in Dollars they both made the same $30-31 million. At the moment the exchange is a bit better so what was $31 million back when Resurrection F came out would now be $34 million.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:50 am

Bullza wrote:
Sintzu wrote:Toei is expecting Broly to make 90 million $
Really? Where did you get this from?
People have been talking about within the last few pages and in other topics where appropriate. I think it was said in one of the recent interviews with the director.