Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri May 18, 2018 7:34 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
Dragono wrote: You're still going to watch it, aren't you?

He probably has his ticket booked to Japan in December.
Though I understand his worry that the movie may not have a great story, I don't think he should trash on the movie before it even comes out.

Animation influences the story appreciation as well, if the characters look really alive-and-kicking, the empathy for what happens will be greater than if they are stiff dolls.
Of course it cannot compensate for a horrendous story but i don't believe this is going to be the case.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri May 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I like the new designs. But I could really use a bit more info about the plot before I really get intrigued about the movie.
That's the thing. I'm loving everything in terms of visuals, but I'm still almost positive the plot is going to a total shitshow. Hoping they convince me otherwise in the months to come, but I just have so little faith in Toriyama's ability to write anything of worth after seeing Super. Then combine that with the fact that the entire premise seems like the Solo Star Wars film: a story nobody asked for that exists solely for fan service.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
You're still going to watch it, aren't you?
Why do people think that this is a point? Yes, I am going to watch it. That doesn't magically mean I can't be apprehensive about it's quality, and even in the end criticize it. So far, it seems like a story I'm not even remotely interested in, but I'm hoping they can MAKE me interested (which they potentially could if the it's written well enough). So far, it seems pointless, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I like the new designs. But I could really use a bit more info about the plot before I really get intrigued about the movie.
That's the thing. I'm loving everything in terms of visuals, but I'm still almost positive the plot is going to a total shitshow. Hoping they convince me otherwise in the months to come, but I just have so little faith in Toriyama's ability to write anything of worth after seeing Super. Then combine that with the fact that the entire premise seems like the Solo Star Wars film: a story nobody asked for that exists solely for fan service.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
No one asked for a lot of Dragonball or Star Wars stories.
But this one in particular seems exceedingly pointless. I didn't need or want to hear more about the backstory of the Saiyans, or Freeza, or SSG, or Yamoshi, or whatever. ENOUGH with the Saiyans. This franchise desperately needs to explore other aspects of it's world than how ultra mega super duper badass these monkey freaks of nature are.
majinwarman wrote: Though I understand his worry that the movie may not have a great story, I don't think he should trash on the movie before it even comes out.
I don't really think I'm "trashing" the movie. I'm simply explaining how I have little faith in Toriyama's ability to write a coherent, interesting story anymore. And to be frank, modern Dragon Ball would support my apprehension. I think people have a right to be worried and take a "prove me wrong" attitude with this. The franchise hasn't had a story of any real worth since MAYBE BoG, but even then that was pretty simple and forgettable in terms of plot.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Artorias wrote:
Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
Why do people think that this is a point? Yes, I am going to watch it. That doesn't magically mean I can't be apprehensive about it's quality, and even in the end criticize it. So far, it seems like a story I'm not even remotely interested in, but I'm hoping they can MAKE me interested (which they potentially could if the it's written well enough). So far, it seems pointless, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
But this one in particular seems exceedingly pointless. I didn't need or want to hear more about the backstory of the Saiyans, or Freeza, or SSG, or Yamoshi, or whatever. ENOUGH with the Saiyans. This franchise desperately needs to explore other aspects of it's world than how ultra mega super duper badass these monkey freaks of nature are.
majinwarman wrote: Though I understand his worry that the movie may not have a great story, I don't think he should trash on the movie before it even comes out.
I don't really think I'm "trashing" the movie. I'm simply explaining how I have little faith in Toriyama's ability to write a coherent, interesting story anymore. And to be frank, modern Dragon Ball would support my apprehension. I think people have a right to be worried and take a "prove me wrong" attitude with this. The franchise hasn't had a story of any real worth since MAYBE BoG, but even then that was pretty simple and forgettable in terms of plot.
Yeah but what concepts?

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Fri May 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I agree that toriyama has been losing the ability to write a good and worthwhile story. He's half assing the plot and will let toie fill in the blanks. I'm intrigued by what we been shown especially the art and animation but i hold little faith in toriyamas ability on this one. I do hope for the best.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Yeah but what concepts?
Not sure what this is referencing.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Artorias wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Like what new concepts?

Yeah but what concepts?

You know what other concepts?
Last edited by Toxin45 on Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Despite I don't care about Heroes and that SSJ4 vs SSB nonsense, Heroes promontional anime story seems to be more interesting than this.
This Movie seems to be just more stuff about Saiyans and Freeza, while Heroes anime will actually cover new ground.

I actually think its hilarious that in videogames we are exploring the Dark Realm and Time Patrol stuff, while in the main show with Toriyama's help, we're stuck with bringing Freeza back and having Tournaments.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:58 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Despite I don't care about Heroes and that SSJ4 vs SSB nonsense, Heroes promontional anime story seems to be more interesting than this.
This Movie seems to be just more stuff about Saiyans and Freeza, while Heroes anime will actually cover new ground.

I actually think its hilarious that in videogames we are exploring the Dark Realm and Time Patrol stuff, while in the main show with Toriyama's help, we're stuck with bringing Freeza back and having Tournaments.
Also android 21
For fighterz

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 18, 2018 10:38 pm

TheOne wrote:Why can’t they change up the uniforms again?
I would assume it's for "nostalgia" purposes. To which I would reply that the nostalgia factor has long gone by now, and they're just harming the series because of it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Grimlock wrote:
TheOne wrote:Why can’t they change up the uniforms again?
I would assume it's for "nostalgia" purposes. To which I would reply that the nostalgia factor has long gone by now, and they're just harming the series because of it.
Right because we need new stuff that has yet to happen. Jeez this is the belated backstory of the Saiyans.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Artorias wrote:
Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
Let me explain the point: if you are going to watch it regarding of quality then why do you care about the quality?

Its like saying you are going to eat a meal regardless of how it tastes but then proceed to complain about how it tastes.

if you think the movie is not going to interest you, then don't watch it and wait for something that does. Its not the same as going into a movie and criticizing it. You're going into a movie already hating the premise and having little faith in it. Thats just not logical thinking.

If the movie sucks and you say I was right, you willingly watched a crappy movie that you knew would be bad. The loser is pretty clear in that situation.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Artorias wrote:
Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Artorias wrote:

Boy do I hope I'm wrong.
Even if the storyline is lacklustre, I think we can at least have faith that's its going to be well executed, and at least engaging.

I mean, the director of the film is the same guy that made the fourth coming of Freeza interesting for gods sakes. If he could make that interesting, I'm sure he can do something with Toriyama's script in this film.

If your not going to have any faith in Toriyama(which, lets face it, is more than a little justified at this point), than at least have some faith in Nagamine.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Despite I don't care about Heroes and that SSJ4 vs SSB nonsense, Heroes promontional anime story seems to be more interesting than this.

I don't think you know what think you know.

First of all, Heroes also brought Freeza back, in fact that was where we learned that Goku and Freeza would be fighting Jiren together in the end last year. Second of all They also brought Cooler, Broly and Trunks back and many more. Third of all, the universal survival arc is heroes version of the one in the show. Fourth of all, Dragon ball the anime already went to the demon realm back in the 80's and Fifth of all, the time patrol went back to our time and saved events that we already saw.

Dragon ball heroes doesn't cover new ground, its literally fanfiction events of the old one.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat May 19, 2018 12:04 am

TheOne wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Beerus and Whis will be in this movie, hopefully they don't appear that much. And when the hell is Piccolo going to get a new outfit?

Why can’t they change up the uniforms again? I don’t care how iconic it is, a little change never hurt anyone. Even Luffy changed his clothes after awhile. There was nothing wrong with their wardrobe change in the Frieza arc.
You mean 12 years besides every hero has their signature accessory. Natsu has his scarf, Luffy has his straw hat and Goku has his gi.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 19, 2018 12:04 am

Dragono wrote:First of all, Heroes also brought Freeza back, in fact that was where we learned that Goku and Freeza would be fighting Jiren together in the end last year. Second of all They also brought Cooler, Broly and Trunks back and many more. Third of all, the universal survival arc is heroes version of the one in the show. Fourth of all, Dragon ball the anime already went to the demon realm back in the 80's and Fifth of all, the time patrol went back to our time and saved events that we already saw.

Dragon ball heroes doesn't cover new ground, its literally fanfiction events of the old one.
First of all: Heroes indeed brings back Freeza, but he's not the only one as you mentioned. Most of the times he shares the spotlight with someone else and sometimes he isn't even the major villain, he is more a pawn in the grand scheme that is occurring.

Second of all: We don't know anything about this "universal survival arc version" thing. We only know that there will be an anime that will adapt/focus on the Prison Planet saga.

Third of all: What do we learn about the Demon Realm back in the 80s?

Fourth of all: All Dragon Ball works these days are literally fanfiction and cover stuff that were already covered before.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Sat May 19, 2018 12:59 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Ss5Troten wrote:
Grimlock wrote:The movie is coming out in December, good thing to deduce beforehand that the marketing would be different (per "different" I mean slow mostly), that teaser in March was unexpected but it also gave us a sign that it would be all that we would have for a while. Pretty sure we won't get anything until July.

I'm eager for a real trailer though, I want to see a glimpse of what to expect about the past of the Saiyans.
I really want to know if that was some sort of new Saiya-jin threat or if it’s truly Yamoshi’s soul finally finding the Super Saiya-jin God or what! I also wanna know what it looks like.

Also I know this is a stretch but from what I saw it looked like a golden SSJ4. That isn’t to say he was SSJ4 but just to say that the form we saw could be some sort of bridge! Whomst knows!
He didn’t have any body fur. All he had was a green fur pelt wrapped around his waist.
I just watched the trailer again and realized he mistakenly I remembered things. I remembered him being slightly golden (just his aura I realized) and him having fur (noticed what you mentioned there) he does have goldish eyes which seems to be weird for Saiya-jin
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 am

Dragono wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Beerus and Whis will be in this movie, hopefully they don't appear that much. And when the hell is Piccolo going to get a new outfit?

Why can’t they change up the uniforms again? I don’t care how iconic it is, a little change never hurt anyone. Even Luffy changed his clothes after awhile. There was nothing wrong with their wardrobe change in the Frieza arc.
You mean 12 years besides every hero has their signature accessory. Natsu has his scarf, Luffy has his straw hat and Goku has his gi.
For starters don’t even mention Natsu in a conversation about Goku and Luffy. He’s not in their league.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Luffy is known in the series for his straw hat. Not his outfits. This may blow your mind, but it’s very possible that Goku could keep his orange and blue outfit and still get a makeover. I highly doubt Gokus going to be unrecognizable if they change his outfit after 20 plus years. :roll:
How i predict the tournament will end:

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat May 19, 2018 3:45 am

Dragono wrote:
Artorias wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Let me explain the point: if you are going to watch it regarding of quality then why do you care about the quality?

Its like saying you are going to eat a meal regardless of how it tastes but then proceed to complain about how it tastes.

if you think the movie is not going to interest you, then don't watch it and wait for something that does. Its not the same as going into a movie and criticizing it. You're going into a movie already hating the premise and having little faith in it. Thats just not logical thinking.

If the movie sucks and you say I was right, you willingly watched a crappy movie that you knew would be bad. The loser is pretty clear in that situation.
Couple things: first, I want to watch the movie mainly to see the gorgeous visuals. And second, I am going into a movie hating the premise, but it's part of a franchise I deeply enjoy, a franchise that used to be well written, a franchise that still COULD be well written today.

Also, I never understood this kind of argument. I am a fan of Dragon Ball, so therefor I am going to give anything that comes out in the franchise a chance. Like I've stated, there is always a chance it comes out and actually blows me away and sees Toriyama return to form. I never claimed that it was somehow guaranteed to be shit, just that I'm apprehensive and struggling to be "hyped", because I know there's a solid chance all of this beautiful animation will be wasted on a lackluster film.

And in addition, I just don't buy this whole "if you don't like it don't watch it". If something that is part of a series that I love doesn't meet expectations, I and others have every right to criticize it.

Think about it this way: I criticize it because I love it. If I didn't care, I would've just stopped talking about it.
JazzMazz wrote:
I mean, the director of the film is the same guy that made the fourth coming of Freeza interesting for gods sakes. If he could make that interesting, I'm sure he can do something with Toriyama's script in this film.

If your not going to have any faith in Toriyama(which, lets face it, is more than a little justified at this point), than at least have some faith in Nagamine.
Oh absolutely, I have full faith in the visuals/presentation side of things, and all of that is the main reason I am still somewhat excited for the film. I have no doubt that the director and animators will come through and deliver on their end. I just wish/hope the plot itself can match the quality of the presentation.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sat May 19, 2018 3:58 am

Hmm, the designs of the characters remind me of the Cell and Frieza arc and the fact that Piccolo has been revealed talongside Goku and Vegeta leads me to believe that maybe this story is set in the past? Like before the Cell arc. Or maybe an alternate timeline. Who knows, it would certianly be a good way to deal with power creep and could even be a good reboot to the franchise.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat May 19, 2018 4:03 am

Toxin45 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: Yeah but what concepts?

You know what other concepts?
Anything. Literally anything other than the Saiyans. How about the literal INFINITE possibilities that they've created with the 12 universes? It's so bizarre. They have a chance to really delve into awesome new locals, concepts, characters, etc. and every time they just fall back on Freeza/Saiyans. It happened with Resurrection F after Battle of Gods opened up the DB universe, it happened with the Black arc after the U6 tournament finally started exploring new content, and it's happening again now after the ToP dickteased us all with these new characters.
TheOne wrote:
I wouldn't really have a problem with the clothes thing if it weren't for the fact that they dickteased us with a clothes change in RoF, and then just randomly for no apparent reason changed them back. That was honestly really bizarre and unnecessary. I don't remember anyone particularly complaining about the new clothes, and they weren't even that different to begin with, so I don't get why they went back.