Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote: No one from DC comes to mind, as most of those that did the heel-face-turn didn't happen until after DBZ's run. Prior, villains were villains and heroes were heroes.

Cassandra Cain was raised to be the best assassin ever, where rather than speech and written language, she was taught to read body language. But after her first kill, at the ripe old age of about 5 or 6, it frightened her and she ran. Ended up joining the Bat Family as the second BatGirl, and was even adopted by Batman (until Flashpoint screwed that up). Her Batgirl run is actually pretty cool.

Damian Wayne. Biological son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al'Ghul. Was raised for the first 10 years of his life by assassins with the belief that he would one day rule the world. But thanks to the influence of his father, and especially Dick Grayson, Damian changes from the cold and ruthless assassin to the current Robin. Eager to earn his father's respect and approval. Still puts on the air of arrogance, but underneath, is just a kid trying to find his way in the world.

Clayface in DC Rebirth went from villain, to not only Batman ally, but also helping Rebirth Cassandra work on her speech by practicing Shakespeare (this version was an actor before he was turned into Clayface).

But like I said, those didn't come until well after DBZ's original run.
And from Marvel or other comicbook character ?

I don't really read Marvel, and not that familiar with it beyond the big names. Someone else would have to chime in for that.
Venom, wolverine, pretty much any anti hero really.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:So is this bit about Broly's rage form confirmed or just people jumping the gun as usual?
It is very much unconfirmed headcanon and will remain that way, because that amount of thought or complexity was never put into Dragon Ball's transformations (or any of it's writing, really). The thought process that goes into basically all of Dragon Ball's actual events and encounters is

"Would it be cool?"

If NO --> Add something to make it cooler

If YES --> Do it

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Late to the party!

But, has the Broly movie been released in Japan yet, or did they do like a sneak-peak showing?

Because imma have to use the ol'e google machine to find me a Gangplank version if it's out.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:So is this bit about Broly's rage form confirmed or just people jumping the gun as usual?
It is very much unconfirmed headcanon and will remain that way, because that amount of thought or complexity was never put into Dragon Ball's transformations (or any of it's writing, really). The thought process that goes into basically all of Dragon Ball's actual events and encounters is

"Would it be cool?"

If NO --> Add something to make it cooler

If YES --> Do it
Actually, the part about the yellow eyed form being Oozaru power used in human form might very well be true. Everything else is made up as far as i know
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 pm

TheRed259 wrote:20th Century Fox SG will offer sneak previews of the movie from December 21 to December 25:
https://twitter.com/foxsingapore/status ... 2041827329
Yes! How does one get tickets?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Actually, the part about the yellow eyed form being Oozaru power used in human form might very well be true. Everything else is made up as far as i know
Are you kidding me? Oozaru power in human mode?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Miracles wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Actually, the part about the yellow eyed form being Oozaru power used in human form might very well be true. Everything else is made up as far as i know
I'm not making this up. It sounds a hell of a lot like SSJ4 too.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I mean, Oozaru have red eyes, but it'd only be weirder for that one specific detail of the whole image to inexplicably just be the truth.

I feel like we as a fanbase should make a rule that if you're putting more thought into deducing the mechanics or concept behind an idea in this universe than the writers have for every single other thing in this series' decades-spanning universe, it probably isn't the real explanation.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Miracles wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the dialogue describes it that way.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Geekdom101 and AnimeAjay (both members in this forum in case if any of you didn't know) have each presented full detailed spoiler videos for Broly! Check them out if you want to!

Geekdom's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0KM0QWnbY

Ajay's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFhlSNT1_Lc

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:I'm not making this up. It sounds a hell of a lot like SSJ4 too.
PFM18 wrote:I'm pretty sure that the dialogue describes it that way.
Hmm...Wow.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Miracles wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:I'm not making this up. It sounds a hell of a lot like SSJ4 too.
PFM18 wrote:I'm pretty sure that the dialogue describes it that way.
Hmm...Wow.
What a productive post! So much substance!

Really man?

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't know how anyone can reply to my post yet ignore everything I said. I said the problem isn't with Paragus' characterization, I even said he seems the same in the post you're replying to; the problem is the presentation. I don't like the way they're excessively demonizing Paragus in order to make Broly look more tragic. It's nothing more than overt melodrama.

Yes, Broly is a tool for him to use. He also loved his son. The movie shows both sides of the character very clearly.

I don't mind exceptions. Paragus was a decent father in a sea of cunts. That loses impact when kind-hearted Saiyans like Tarble and Bardock are easy to find.

But I don't know why you people are getting so upset over this point. Unlike anything else I've criticized this movie for, I actually said I'd wait for the movie on this point before stating my argument with conviction.
I didn't ignore what you said, I just fail to see how they're "excessively demonizing Paragus in order to make Broly look more tragic". Is it because the device sends chocks to Broli instead of just glowing? Is it because there are people that don't like what Paragus' doing? I ask these questions because you mentioned those situations earlier but comparing to movie 8 I don't see much difference, to be honest. Maybe I'm misremembering but the way he's characterized in that flashback isn't really coherent with his "present" self, where he just goes "calm down, Broli!" and "drats, I can't control him anymore. Oh well, bye." In fact, that flashback is way more melodramatic than what seems we're getting now.

You also don't like that "Broli dindu nuffin" but why would that not be the case? We don't need Goku saying he isn't a bad person or Cheely being woried about him to understand he isn't a bloodthirsty savage. He mostly minds his own business and does what his father tells him to do. Given this, I'd be surprised if he actually "did anything".

I'm not upset by it, I just think it's a very biased opinion and you're judging it way too hard, especially if you acknowledge seeing the movie might change your perception of it.
BrolyKale wrote:People getting frustrated for nothing or just because you have a different point of view... just ignore them.
I'm pretty sure he can think for himself, thanks.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Seem like nov 21 or 22 we getting a v-jump

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 pm

I don't know why I love it so much but I absolutely love how Paragus just casually kills the Saiyan friend that he came with just to save food. Shows how savage he is and how savage Saiyans are. The way a Spider comes to attack paragus and he calls for his son and Broly instantly comes to his aid and kills it. I don't know, aside from Freeza's wish and the Superman send-off that was already in Minus, I really like the plot of this movie. Even though Broly's could have a LITTLE more character I think to some extent there's a missed opportunity there but you could say that about pretty much everything.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:44 pm

I just watched Ajay's video, (spoilered for text wall):
I'm truly excited for this thing. I said as soon as it was revealed that it will be "okay" at the worst as long as they can characterize Broly well, and it looks like they've done all that and much more.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:14 am

First let me say thank you Ajay and Geekdom101 for the spoilers. With that said one thing bugs me,
The reason I want this is because FP Broly is a cool, unique looking form and deserves some "flashy coolness."
I can see why Rage Broly was the highlight of the merchandise.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 am

GTx10 wrote:First let me say thank you Ajay and Geekdom101 for the spoilers. With that said one thing bugs me,
The reason I want this is because FP Broly is a cool, unique looking form and deserves some "flashy coolness."
I completely agree and find it really...bizarre (and kinda funny). I'd be curious to know what others think, because Full Power Broly, from the sound of it....just kinda gets stomped. This famous, iconic, terrifying form just ends up getting manhandled easily by Gogeta, like, the whole time from the sound of it. It seems like there isn't really a moment where FP Broly gets a chance to do anything impressive, or where he has the upper hand at any point. Hell, it sounds like he's losing, transforms, and then CONTINUES to lose lol.

Honestly this whole film sounds like its 75% Broly getting his ass kicked. And hey, I'm not complaining. It's cathartic for me. It's just weird.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:30 am

Artorias wrote:
GTx10 wrote:First let me say thank you Ajay and Geekdom101 for the spoilers. With that said one thing bugs me,
I completely agree and find it really...bizarre (and kinda funny). I'd be curious to know what others think, because Full Power Broly, from the sound of it....just kinda gets stomped. This famous, iconic, terrifying form just ends up getting manhandled easily by Gogeta, like, the whole time from the sound of it. It seems like there isn't really a moment where FP Broly gets a chance to do anything impressive, or where he has the upper hand at any point. Hell, it sounds like he's losing, transforms, and then CONTINUES to lose lol.

Honestly this whole film sounds like its 75% Broly getting his ass kicked. And hey, I'm not complaining. It's cathartic for me. It's just weird.
The way i see it is, most people saw 3 possibilities.

1. Gogeta comes and one shots Broly in under 30 seconds Fusion Reborn style and defuses

2. Gogeta comes and is beating down Broly but the fight lasts longer

3. Gogeta comes and the fight between him and Broly is even for the majority

While people have a right to be upset or annoyed, I think we should all just be glad it wasn’t option number 1.