Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:35 am

With the summary out... I think we all have a good idea of the nature of this new Broly. The pure-hearted Broly.

And yet... I still prefer the old Broly. Not the old Broly that's been reduced to a caricature of crying "Kakarotto!" which all current incarnations portray him to be. The old M8 Broly who was a demon, a sadist legendary Super Saiyan who loved nothing but slaughter & destruction. Who had freaky personality and stood in contrast to everything Goku was. That was the perfect Broly for me.

Goku being the pure-hearted Saiyan was enough for me. And now we got two of them.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I watch the movie but I'm already starting to feel tired of this new Broly. I really don't care about power levels or how strong new Broly is supposed to be.

It's funny how at this point I'm far more interested in manga Kale's characterization (if she ever could get fleshed out), the female Broly copy.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:36 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
GTx10 wrote:First let me say thank you Ajay and Geekdom101 for the spoilers. With that said one thing bugs me,
The reason I want this is because FP Broly is a cool, unique looking form and deserves some "flashy coolness."
I completely agree and find it really...bizarre (and kinda funny). I'd be curious to know what others think, because Full Power Broly, from the sound of it....just kinda gets stomped. This famous, iconic, terrifying form just ends up getting manhandled easily by Gogeta, like, the whole time from the sound of it. It seems like there isn't really a moment where FP Broly gets a chance to do anything impressive, or where he has the upper hand at any point. Hell, it sounds like he's losing, transforms, and then CONTINUES to lose lol.

Honestly this whole film sounds like its 75% Broly getting his ass kicked. And hey, I'm not complaining. It's cathartic for me. It's just weird.
The way i see it is, most people saw 3 possibilities.

1. Gogeta comes and one shots Broly in under 30 seconds Fusion Reborn style and defuses

2. Gogeta comes and is beating down Broly but the fight lasts longer

3. Gogeta comes and the fight between him and Broly is even for the majority

While people have a right to be upset or annoyed, I think we should all just be glad it wasn’t option number 1.
Oh yes, this is absolutely better than Gogeta just one shotting him like the Janemba movei, no doubt. But I also would've preferred a Piccolo vs. 17 style fight where it's just them evenly matched, beating the shit out of each other for 30 minutes. But it sounds like Gogeta is in control pretty much the entire time from what I've been hearing. It's like the writers were afraid to show Gogeta struggle.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 am

I'm willing to give the movie major props for one key thing: the good guys actually...get this....WIN in the end. First time in a half a fuckin decade. Novel concept, I know. The protagonist actually winning on their own and not getting bailed out from certain death by deus ex BS. I am thrilled that the fusion just...WORKS for once and doesn't exist as a stupid time-wasting misdirect.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:11 am

Artorias wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
I completely agree and find it really...bizarre (and kinda funny). I'd be curious to know what others think, because Full Power Broly, from the sound of it....just kinda gets stomped. This famous, iconic, terrifying form just ends up getting manhandled easily by Gogeta, like, the whole time from the sound of it. It seems like there isn't really a moment where FP Broly gets a chance to do anything impressive, or where he has the upper hand at any point. Hell, it sounds like he's losing, transforms, and then CONTINUES to lose lol.

Honestly this whole film sounds like its 75% Broly getting his ass kicked. And hey, I'm not complaining. It's cathartic for me. It's just weird.
The way i see it is, most people saw 3 possibilities.

1. Gogeta comes and one shots Broly in under 30 seconds Fusion Reborn style and defuses

While people have a right to be upset or annoyed, I think we should all just be glad it wasn’t option number 1.
Oh yes, this is absolutely better than Gogeta just one shotting him like the Janemba movei, no doubt. But I also would've preferred a Piccolo vs. 17 style fight where it's just them evenly matched, beating the shit out of each other for 30 minutes. But it sounds like Gogeta is in control pretty much the entire time from what I've been hearing. It's like the writers were afraid to show Gogeta struggle.
I mean, there is going to be a fight before Gogeta goes Blue for the final curbstomping, so I think it may be more than completely one sided the entire time. Maybe the SS portion of the Gogeta fight will be a little more even?

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Artorias wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: The way i see it is, most people saw 3 possibilities.

I mean, there is going to be a fight before Gogeta goes Blue for the final curbstomping, so I think it may be more than completely one sided the entire time. Maybe the SS portion of the Gogeta fight will be a little more even?
That might be the case. To be fair, I haven't actually read the spoilers myself, I've just listened to others relay them verbally. But the vibe I'm consistently getting from people is that Gogeta is in control the whole time, because the moment he starts to maybe sorta be losing, he just powers up. I also just think having a full on even Gogeta Blue fight would've been cool and fun. I didn't really need to have the writers demonstrate how totally rad Gogeta is by having him wreck Broly.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 am

Artorias wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Artorias wrote:
That might be the case. To be fair, I haven't actually read the spoilers myself, I've just listened to others relay them verbally. But the vibe I'm consistently getting from people is that Gogeta is in control the whole time, because the moment he starts to maybe sorta be losing, he just powers up. I also just think having a full on even Gogeta Blue fight would've been cool and fun. I didn't really need to have the writers demonstrate how totally rad Gogeta is by having him wreck Broly.
Yeah, Broly Full Power doesn't seem to do much and appears for a short time. Gogeta in SSJB is destroying him iirc.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:18 am

Double post by accident...
Last edited by Miracles on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:19 am

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Hmm...Wow.
What a productive post! So much substance!

Really man?
Broly with the Rurouni Kenshin "battousai" eyes and the SSJ4 black hair rise. I'm shocked...I really won't have anything worthwhile saying until I see the flick
superfan2024 wrote:Geekdom101 and AnimeAjay (both members in this forum in case if any of you didn't know) have each presented full detailed spoiler videos for Broly! Check them out if you want to!

Geekdom's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0KM0QWnbY

Ajay's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFhlSNT1_Lc
Appreciate that. So most likely these cats are second hand sources? Didn't actually see the film themselves?
Last edited by Miracles on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:23 am

The fact that LSSJ Broly barely shows up and when he does he gets stomped is really bad and disappointing.

Looks like the fusion multiplier now makes any GOD transformation look like shit. Base Gogeta can destroy 2 SSJB lmao.

What was the point of SSJ God, they should have used Gogeta to fight Beerus.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 am

Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Hmm...Wow.

Really man?
Broly with the Rurouni Kenshin "battousai" eyes and the SSJ4 black hair rise. I'm shocked...I really won't have anything worthwhile saying until I see the flick
superfan2024 wrote:Geekdom101 and AnimeAjay (both members in this forum in case if any of you didn't know) have each presented full detailed spoiler videos for Broly! Check them out if you want to!

Geekdom's video:

Ajay's video:
Appreciate that. So most likely these cats are second hand sources? Didn't actually see the film themselves?
They collaborated with several sources with people that saw the film and took note of specific things in their viewing...

I don't see what you're getting out.

Its a plot summary. Doesn't mean its going to perfectly encapsulate each story beat in the same way an actual personal viewing would.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:06 am

Last edited by BrolyKale on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 am

Amir wrote:The fact that LSSJ Broly barely shows up and when he does he gets stomped is really bad and disappointing.

Looks like the fusion multiplier now makes any GOD transformation look like shit. Base Gogeta can destroy 2 SSJB lmao.

Honestly, I expected Broly to go LSS and THEN Goku and Vegeta fuse, not them fusing before the fact.

A decent amount questions come from this now. Not sure about Base Gogeta > SSB Goku or Vegeta, but SS Gogeta > SSB Goku or Vegeta for sure now.

Here's what makes sense from this:
*The fusion multiplier of X times Y's power makes sense (bottom of the page). (I'm just gonna assume Gogeta and Vegetto are equal in power - not interested in that debate at all).
*Kefla overpowering SSB Goku makes sense.

Here's what doesn't make sense from this:
*SSG Goku vs Beerus. Gogeta or Vegetto would have stood a better chance then.
*Most importantly in my opinion, the entire Vegetto vs Buu fight. Buu shouldn't have been able to even touch Vegetto. All those powerscaling issues in Super? Also apparent in the manga now thanks to these developments.
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Really man?

Geekdom's video:

Ajay's video:
They collaborated with several sources with people that saw the film and took note of specific things in their viewing...

Its a plot summary. Doesn't mean its going to perfectly encapsulate each story beat in the same way an actual personal viewing would.
I just wanted to know if they themselves saw the movie. Nothing nefarious about that.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:37 am

Miracles wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Miracles wrote:

I just wanted to know if they themselves saw the movie. Nothing nefarious about that.
They weren't in Japan.

But as mentioned, they worked in coordination with several reliable accounts of people who did go and see it.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 am

BrolyKale wrote:
King Vegeta deserved being under Beerus foot while he was munching on his nasty food. Heck, great call by Beerus for ordering the hit on planet Vegeta.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:20 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Amir wrote:The fact that LSSJ Broly barely shows up and when he does he gets stomped is really bad and disappointing.

Honestly, I expected Broly to go LSS and THEN Goku and Vegeta fuse, not them fusing before the fact.

A decent amount questions come from this now. Not sure about Base Gogeta > SSB Goku or Vegeta, but SS Gogeta > SSB Goku or Vegeta for sure now.

Here's what makes sense from this:
*The fusion multiplier of X times Y's power makes sense (bottom of the page). (I'm just gonna assume Gogeta and Vegetto are equal in power - not interested in that debate at all).
*Kefla overpowering SSB Goku makes sense.

Here's what doesn't make sense from this:
*SSG Goku vs Beerus. Gogeta or Vegetto would have stood a better chance then.
*Most importantly in my opinion, the entire Vegetto vs Buu fight. Buu shouldn't have been able to even touch Vegetto. All those powerscaling issues in Super? Also apparent in the manga now thanks to these developments.
It's not that fusion was higher than ssjg at the time of BoG is that small gains for Goku and Vegeta are huge gains for Gogeta.

A post God Gogeta is much stronger than a pre god gogeta than a post god goku and vegeta are than pre god goku and vegeta.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:30 am

From every summary I've heard, Super Broly sounds like an adorable pure boy and I want to give him hugs.

Everything else is fine. Freeza's role sounds crap, other characters seem to be on point, I'm looking forward to the film. That said, even though the battle sounds infinitely better directed than Res F, I'm hoping the ending doesn't feel anticlimactic. I'm sick of all these new Dragon Ball stories having anticlimactic ends. The Tournament of Power was the only one whose climax felt like a climax.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:42 am

Some stuff about Kikono and Berryblue
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:56 am

I give props to the film for reoffering that Frieza had his own reasons to destroy the saiyans rather then just because Beerus told him to.

With their rapid growth in power pointed out in Z along with legends of Super Saiyans and Gods, their potential to be a future threat outweighed their usefulness.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:57 am

Am I the only one who thinks that Broly is the essentially the new "Gohan" In Super ?