Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:24 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:False, I said I enjoyed the movie.
You're already far more positive about it than I am :P
Well, I enjoyed the visuals and the soundtrack and that Vegeta didn't job. The rest is kind of a mess.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Doctor. wrote:Well, I enjoyed the visuals and the soundtrack and that Vegeta didn't job. The rest is kind of a mess.
It on your Top 5 though?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Zeru14 wrote:
Noah wrote:- Let's talk about Freeza's wish... Well it was meant to be a joke, a reference to Commander Red and people thought it was really funny on the theaters and others like me were just cringing... Okay it's funny, but it DOESN'T MAKE A F*CKIN SENSE! Freeza can shape his body the way he wants! Wanting to waste the Dragon Balls in such a nonsense wish instead of preferring immortality is just character assassination for the purpose of lulz.

It's even more ridiculous, when you remember that Beerus revealed in the Zamasu Arc, that even Gods of Destruction can't kill immortals.
But that's only in the manga, right?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Noah wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Well, I enjoyed the visuals and the soundtrack and that Vegeta didn't job. The rest is kind of a mess.
It on your Top 5 though?
Most of the Z movies are just as mediocre without the presentation this movie has.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Noah wrote:
It on your Top 5 though?
Well, to be fair, the bar is set extremely low for Dragon Ball movies. Almost every one of the DBZ movies are complete trash from top to bottom. It is certainly possible to not think especially highly of a movie, but consider it a top 5 movie among these movies. I don't think I could even come up with a top 5 because I don't think there's 5 of the movies that are even worth watching.

I haven't seen the entire movie, and what I have seen is from a camera rip, and not in theaters, but from what I've seen and from being aware of the entire plot, I think the only movie that can even compare is the BoG movie.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:
It on your Top 5 though?
Most of the Z movies are just as mediocre without the presentation this movie has.
Yeah the presentation & soundtrack make a lot of the movie entertaining. Were it not for the former particularly I think people would call this a dud on par with ResF.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:33 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:
It on your Top 5 though?
Yeah the presentation & soundtrack make a lot of the movie entertaining. Were it not for the former particularly I think people would call this a dud on par with ResF.
I wouldn't go that far. ResF was insulting, this one is just bland with some issues. There isn't much in this movie that ruins the existing characters in the same way that F did, provided you've accepted that this Broly is supposed to be different from the other one (well, Paragus is ruined even so, but that's about it). F not only trashed Freeza, but Goku and Vegeta as well, on top of being boring to look at.

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:59 pm

The Spanish Dub is all over youtube in great quality considering it is cam footage :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Now that I think about it: shouldn't the wish be impossible? Porunga couldn't bring Goku back to Earth, so why would Shenron be able to teleport Broly?

Bringing back Gogeta also brings up another problem (on top of the other narrative problems associated with him that I've already discussed), which is why haven't they fused before and what's the excuse to not fuse in fights that are to come? With the Vegetto retcon, you had the excuse that a fusion would be useless because you wouldn't be able to use much power before it burned all your time, but Gogeta was spamming huge KHHs and other Ki attacks and he never defused, so now there's no more excuse for not using fusion in the future.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:Now that I think about it: shouldn't the wish be impossible? Porunga couldn't bring Goku back to Earth, so why would Shenron be able to teleport Broly?

Bringing back Gogeta also brings up another problem (on top of the other narrative problems associated with him that I've already discussed), which is why haven't they fused before and what's the excuse to not fuse in fights that are to come? With the Vegetto retcon, you had the excuse that a fusion would be useless because you wouldn't be able to use much power before it burned all your time, but Gogeta was spamming huge KHHs and other Ki attacks and he never defused, so now there's no more excuse for not using fusion in the future.
Another issue is why Gogeta? They have 90 minutes to do whatever they want while Freeza is beaten on, 90 minutes Goku could use to IT into the afterlife, get some Potara and come back. It'd certainly be faster than teaching Vegeta the dance.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Another issue is why Gogeta? They have 90 minutes to do whatever they want while Freeza is beaten on, 90 minutes Goku could use to IT into the afterlife, get some Potara and come back. It'd certainly be faster than teaching Vegeta the dance.
Yeah, Gogeta has no place in this film. Not only does he make no sense as they have better options (Potara, Beerus, Whis), Gogeta comes out of nowhere. I mean, why did Goku suggest fusion? It made sense in Fusion Reborn as it fit thematically in the arc where fusions were introduced, but here it doesn't really fit thematically, especially in a movie that seemed to be focusing on Goku and Broly (well, and Vegeta too, but it's like they forgot he was in the movie once Goku started fighting); by introducing Gogeta, Goku and Broly's arcs are left on-hold until the end of the movie.

And obviously Freeza being beaten for an hour straight without dying is stretching my suspension of disbelief, especially in a series where fights last minutes.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Another issue is why Gogeta? They have 90 minutes to do whatever they want while Freeza is beaten on, 90 minutes Goku could use to IT into the afterlife, get some Potara and come back. It'd certainly be faster than teaching Vegeta the dance.
Yeah, Gogeta has no place in this film. Not only does he make no sense as they have better options (Potara, Beerus, Whis), Gogeta comes out of nowhere. I mean, why did Goku suggest fusion? It made sense in Fusion Reborn as it fit thematically in the arc where fusions were introduced, but here it doesn't really fit thematically, especially in a movie that seemed to be focusing on Goku and Broly (well, and Vegeta too, but it's like they forgot he was in the movie once Goku started fighting); by introducing Gogeta, Goku and Broly's arcs are left on-hold until the end of the movie.

And obviously Freeza being beaten for an hour straight without dying is stretching my suspension of disbelief.
In Fusion Reborn its implied Goku killed Boo, meaning Goku & Vegeta had no alternative for fusion available so Gogeta appearing also makes practical sense. As for his inclusion here? Just vomit inducing pandering really. Minus is pointless too but I can see why its here thanks to Paragus & Broly's backstories.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:

And obviously Freeza being beaten for an hour straight without dying is stretching my suspension of disbelief, especially in a series where fights last minutes.
What? How are Beerus and Whis options? What if it seems they couldn't get ahold of the potara? Gogeta was a perfectly reasonable choice for them. As far as thematically, Vegeta and Goku are the pure-blooded Saiyans here that were "destined"(I don't think that was executed well, but that's another issue entirely) to fight Broly, and becoming one seemed to be the only way they could defeat him. Seems pretty straightforward.
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:
It on your Top 5 though?
Lol, it would otherwise be on par with RoF? C'mon now.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:56 pm

PFM18 wrote: How are Beerus and Whis options?
They're friendly allies and have helped numerous times at this point. Nobody's buying this "the Gods are neutral and do what they want!" meme that they've been trying to push when they prove that statement wrong every single story arc.
PFM18 wrote:What if it seems they couldn't get ahold of the potara?
Then use the fusion dance. The point is that they didn't even try to get the Potara even though Goku knows he can IT to the Kaioshin realm. The writers could have them use the fusion dance after giving a reason to discard the Potara option.
PFM18 wrote:Gogeta was a perfectly reasonable choice for them.
It really wasn't. It was the least practical choice possible and the movie illustrates this well. They wasted over an hour trying to get the fusion dance down. If Broly had been less charitable with Freeza and killed him off immediately as he proved he could, then they would have been screwed.
PFM18 wrote:As far as thematically, Vegeta and Goku are the pure-blooded Saiyans here that were "destined"(I don't think that was executed well, but that's another issue entirely) to fight Broly, and becoming one seemed to be the only way they could defeat him. Seems pretty straightforward.
It isn't straightforward because the narrative wasn't being written in that direction. It was establishing how these 3 different Saiyans had different upbringings. The narrative was highlighting their differences, not what Goku and Vegeta have in common that Broly doesn't. Thematically, the movie is all over the place. I mean, the intent seems to be that Goku and Vegeta became friends in spite of their different upbringings and, thus, this will logically extend to Broly as we see at the end of the film. The problem is that the movie does no effort in developing this point at all and places fighting and 'splosions as the number one priority. Character arcs are left on-hold the moment Gogeta shows up, and Gogeta's "YEAH KILL 'EM" attitude regarding Broly clashes heavily with Goku's pre and post-fusion.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

to sum it up. a Saiyan gets angry and fight goku and vegeta. THE END. ''but the awesome fight scenes'' dragon ball fans are used to crazy battles. what about story? no fuck that. all we care are fight scenes

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 pm

ironfist2020 wrote:''but the awesome fight scenes'' dragon ball fans are used to crazy battles
Not at that level.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:''but the awesome fight scenes'' dragon ball fans are used to crazy battles
Not at that level.
yes to that level and much more. Z had much better battles. re-watch the cell sega. dragon ball was allwayes weak on stroy and that movie dident changed it.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't need to rewatch, I remember everything and I know you're exaggerating.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:I don't need to rewatch, I remember everything and I know you're exaggerating.
i think you are the one who exaggerate those fight scenes like they are the second coming of jesus when even the jiren vs goku fights were close to that level.

your so hyped on this movie that you dont care about its flaws. and there are. many. mainly the first half.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:08 pm

Glen300 wrote:The Spanish Dub is all over youtube in great quality considering it is cam footage :lol:
Gracias . Just watched it . It’s worse than I thought :( . No story, unfunny gags . Disappointed.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....