Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 pm

I really hope the plot for this movie is denser than F. Seeing all this effort put into animation and character design makes me hope they're working to make an engaging and fun plot line to work with too. I'm starving for db plot stuff after the mixed bag that was the ToP.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:43 pm

I hope there will be not too much time between Japanese and world-wide releases. Yes with BOG and ROF there was some time too between the releases. But in comparison with 2013 and 2015, we are living in a massive spoiler culture now. It will be very difficult, willing or not, to evade major spoilers, story plots and even the ending, if there is months between the releases. I mean, you had to be living on the moon if you didn't want to know Goku was getting a new form before watching episode 110.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:23 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Nishii Terumi tweeted a photo of Nagamine Tatsuya and Yama'uchi Shigeyasu hanging out. It'll be interesting to see if Yama'uchi winds up storyboarding a piece of the film or is asked to do something for the franchise. Yama'uchi directed many episodes of Dragon Ball Z (including Episode #279) and directed Movies #11, #13, #15 and #17, while serving as supervisor for #12, #14, and #16.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbYWzLyV4AA ... g:orig[img]
Broly confirmed! /s
More like

Kale confirmed! (I actual hope the U6 saiyans are in this movie).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Chuquita wrote:I really hope the plot for this movie is denser than F. Seeing all this effort put into animation and character design makes me hope they're working to make an engaging and fun plot line to work with too. I'm starving for db plot stuff after the mixed bag that was the ToP.
Well this is, in theory, a very history heavy film. Beerus brought a lot of knew stuff with him and F was really just riding the nostalgia train. Here they are promising to go back and look at a very significant part of the franchises history thats only been barely glanced at before. A deeper look at saiyan history and super saiyans as well as Frieza. Its in essence the opposite of BoG.

How well or badly this all goes depends entirely on the quality of the answers they come up with.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm starving for db plot stuff after the mixed bag that was the ToP.
Lucky you. I'm starving for a decent Dragon Ball plot from the "main series" since Trunks defeated Merged Zamasu.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Theres so much potential for this movie to add to the Dragon Ball lore I love when they showed the old age Saiyans wearing caveman clothes and one had a knife in her teeth (cant fid the pic but feel free to share it if you can). But honestly its been a long time since the series really lived up to its full potential so we'll see how it goes I guess.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm starving for db plot stuff after the mixed bag that was the ToP.
Lucky you. I'm starving for a decent Dragon Ball plot from the "main series" since Trunks defeated Merged Zamasu.
I agree. Super was severely lacking in actual plot based arcs. Lets hope the new series doubles down on Tournaments and starts stac king up on those plot based, lore filled, world building arcs starting with this movie!
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: How does story boarding work? Is there one person who does all the storyboarding or are there multiple people who are each in charge of a certain scene in the movie?

If its the latter, I hope Megumi Ishitani (the golden star of 131) gets a scene to storyboard.
It depends. If the storyboard artist had enough time to storyboard an episode or movie by themselves they typically will, just so that they have more control. The typical episode's storyboard usually takes 2-3 weeks to complete but that can vary depending upon the speed of the artist. Yuasa Masa'aki famously storyboarded each episode of Ping-Pong in ten days each. Yama'uchi storyboarded ten of the twenty-four episodes of Casshern SINS and directed seven of those boards himself. Nagamine and Kureta Kouhei (technical director for Fukkatsu no F) shared storyboarding duties for One Piece Film Z, so depending upon the schedule Nagamine might need help, unless he just wants sections overseen by his friends for fun.
I remember Ajay saying that the film's storyboard has been completed and they're at the key animation stage of the film.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Chuquita wrote:I really hope the plot for this movie is denser than F. Seeing all this effort put into animation and character design makes me hope they're working to make an engaging and fun plot line to work with too. I'm starving for db plot stuff after the mixed bag that was the ToP.
Yeah, I hope a good plot complements the movie's high quality production. While I thought 'F' was a really fun Dragon Ball movie, it wasn't necessarily a good movie.

If the plot ends up being anywhere near as engaging as the Future Trunks arc, I think I'll be satisfied. That's my favourite modern Dragon Ball story so far.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 am

Lord Frieza wrote:
Well this is, in theory, a very history heavy film. Beerus brought a lot of knew stuff with him and F was really just riding the nostalgia train. Here they are promising to go back and look at a very significant part of the franchises history thats only been barely glanced at before. A deeper look at saiyan history and super saiyans as well as Frieza. Its in essence the opposite of BoG.

How well or badly this all goes depends entirely on the quality of the answers they come up with.
I really hope so. I've seen how rich in plot and location some of Toei's One Piece films can be; I'd love to have that for Dragon Ball.
Grimlock wrote:
I'm not that lucky with the ToP. I posted lists in the "What did you love? What did you hate?" threads and for every 1 thing I liked, I disliked 2 more. A year long arc where I only liked 1/3rd of its content made it a rough sit and not an arc I'd want to revisit anytime soon even with the dozen or so things I did like about it.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
I agree. Super was severely lacking in actual plot based arcs. Lets hope the new series doubles down on Tournaments and starts stac king up on those plot based, lore filled, world building arcs starting with this movie!
I want more plot-based arcs so badly. I also want to get away from the GoD stuff and go explore some of these universes because I feel like as long as Beerus and Whis are hanging around it's crazy difficult to take the safety wheels off. I like them as characters but man they also have the unfortunate downside of ruining the tension. Sure Toriyama cut down the number of inhabitable planets in Uni 7 and that disappointed me, but that means nothing for what may be countless lived in worlds in the other universes. There's so many possibilities out there.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Yeah, I hope a good plot complements the movie's high quality production. While I thought 'F' was a really fun Dragon Ball movie, it wasn't necessarily a good movie.

If the plot ends up being anywhere near as engaging as the Future Trunks arc, I think I'll be satisfied. That's my favourite modern Dragon Ball story so far.
Same. There were definitely parts of F where I had fun, but there was barely any meat to sink teeth into. It wasn't as good as the trailer lead me to think it would be, imo.

I had so much enjoyment out of that Future Trunks arc. The first 95% of that arc was a lot of fun (I felt robbed when the Omni King came in and took the win because I really wanted to see Future Trunks himself be the one to completely defeat Merged Zamasu) and Rosé and Future Zamasu are my favorite evil duo in how over the top they were from their video game style attacks to that comedic twirling they did right before fully fusing to their cabin hideout and how in sync they were with each other.

Just following along with the Goku Black mystery live in real time and trying to guess his origin from week to week was a blast! I really did enjoy it.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 am

Yeah, I hope a good plot complements the movie's high quality production.
How much can you do with yet another saiyan focused story ? I really wish they left the saiyans and Freeza alone after Namek as we've yet to see anything that lived up to or added to their main arcs from the manga. The manga managed to move away from them so why can't modern DB ? we've got 12 whole universes to play with so there's no need to keep covering old ground.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 am

sintzu wrote:
How much can you do with yet another saiyan focused story ? I really wish they left the saiyans and Freeza alone after Namek as we've yet to see anything that lived up to or added to their main arcs from the manga. The manga managed to move away from them so why can't modern DB ? we've got 12 whole universes to play with so there's no need to keep covering old ground.
While I do agree that we've gotten a lot of stories revolving around the Saiayns, I'm going to remain optimistic about what Toriyama has in store for us. I do find the character of Yamoshi intriguing based on that little description we got from Toriyama a few months ago, so I'm hoping the movie does something interesting with it. I don't see why the other universes can't be involved in this new movie, and I'm expecting to see something from them. Especially the U6 Saiyans.

These recent stories have a trend of what seem like bad ideas turning into something actually compelling (to me, at least). Evil Goku, Freeza returning yet again, Broly(Kale) etc. I hope this movie continues that trend with this new Saiyan focused story seeming like ground we've already covered several times before, but turning out to be really entertaining and somehow fresh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 am

sintzu wrote:
Oh I agree; I'd definitely prefer a Goku and friends go an an adventure/battle a bad guy in one of the other 12 universes and see new worlds and stuff too than do more retreads, but I figure as long as we're stuck retreading more saiyans and Freeza I may as well hope they do something plot heavy with it since I'm really hungry for plot right now.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:23 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I don't see why the other universes can't be involved in this new movie, and I'm expecting to see something from them. Especially the U6 Saiyans.
Even if the U6 Saiyans are invloved, they're just more saiyans. The last thing I wanted to see from another universe were more saiyans and Freeza and not only did we get that, they're exactly like the ones we know.
Chuquita wrote:I figure as long as we're stuck I may as well hope they do something plot heavy with it since I'm really hungry for plot right now.
I do as well, I'm just not getting my expectations too high as I think it'll just be Goku and Friends vs Evil Saiyan with not much else going on.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:17 am

sintzu wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I don't see why the other universes can't be involved in this new movie, and I'm expecting to see something from them. Especially the U6 Saiyans.
Even if the U6 Saiyans are invloved, they're just more saiyans. The last thing I wanted to see from another universe were more saiyans and Freeza and not only did we get that, they're exactly like the ones we know.
I don't know about that. Cabba's personality kind of reminds me of Future Trunks, but that's about it. Besides Kale's obvious callback to Broly in her Berserker form, Kale and Caulifla are pretty unique compared to the other Saiyans we've seen in the past. Their dynamic together was a lot of fun to watch during the ToP.

I have mixed feelings with Frost. Even though I would have preferred the good guy Freeza approach during the Champa arc, I actually do kinda like the idea of no matter the universe or alternate reality, Freeza will always be an evil bastard.

At the end of the day, the Saiyans and Freeza are extremely popular among the fandom. You can tell they really want this movie to be a huge success judging by the amount of time and talent being put into it and the aim of giving the film a worldwide simultaneous release. Having a plot revolving around the Saiyans (and possibly Freeza) is a good idea if they want a huge hit at the box office and big merchandise sales.

Personally, what's drawing me towards the film is its ambitious production. I've mostly enjoyed modern Dragon Ball so far, so I'll probably end up really enjoying this new film as well. I'm also crossing my fingers for a good plot similar to the Future Trunks arc. But you're right, that's going to be difficult to do if we're going through yet another Saiyan focused story.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Kale and Caulifla are pretty unique compared to the other Saiyans we've seen in the past. Their dynamic together was a lot of fun to watch during the ToP.

I have mixed feelings with Frost. Even though I would have preferred the good guy Freeza approach during the Champa arc, I actually do kinda like the idea of no matter the universe or alternate reality, Freeza will always be an evil bastard.

Having a plot revolving around the Saiyans (and possibly Freeza) is a good idea if they want a huge hit at the box office and big merchandise sales.

Personally, what's drawing me towards the film is its ambitious production.
Caulifla is pretty much a female Cell arc Vegeta ×10.

I don't mind Frost being evil, I just wish they used his good side as a major plot point for later when he shows his real colors.

Risks that pay off end up doing even better.

That's the most thing I'm looking forward to as I think its fights will be out of this world.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:25 am

Chuquita wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
I want more plot-based arcs so badly. I also want to get away from the GoD stuff and go explore some of these universes because I feel like as long as Beerus and Whis are hanging around it's crazy difficult to take the safety wheels off. I like them as characters but man they also have the unfortunate downside of ruining the tension. Sure Toriyama cut down the number of inhabitable planets in Uni 7 and that disappointed me, but that means nothing for what may be countless lived in worlds in the other universes. There's so many possibilities out there.
Maybe, out of the blue the Zenos decide to test out how the multiverse would react with no Gods or Kais and just (temporarily erases them on the spot) which leads to a villain and plot based arc or arcs where the Gods can’t help. Either the Gods could stay erased for an arc or a whole series and get brought back at the end to restore balance.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am

majinwarman wrote: I remember Ajay saying that the film's storyboard has been completed and they're at the key animation stage of the film.
Yes, some animators were handed boards to start their work in January.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm just hoping that this movie has a good story as it's the only aspect so far I'm not so confident about. On that topic while I'm still not that interested in another saiyan villain or whatever he turns out to be, I hope the new saiyan brings something interesting to the table. I just don't want him to turn out to be a monster of the week deal that gets killed off by the end of the movie and amounts to nothing. Here's hoping that Toriyama knocks it out of the park with the story.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 pm

If this movie ends up being like RF, where it’s essentially just some flashy fight scenes, with a lot of boring exposition, I don’t think I’ll like it very much. So, yeah, I’m definitely hoping that this movie has some actual meat to it. I’m not asking for anything super complex or Oscar worthy, but just give us something that makes it feel like we’re not just watching a cyncial cash grab that offers nothing new or interesting for the franchise.