Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cetra » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:54 am

They should fuse in the otherworld. You know. No time, technically no defusion.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 am

Cetra wrote:They should fuse in the otherworld. You know. No time, technically no defusion.
That's actually a really interesting point. But don''t they want to eventually defuse though?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 am

PFM18 wrote:
Cetra wrote:They should fuse in the otherworld. You know. No time, technically no defusion.
That's actually a really interesting point. But don''t they want to eventually defuse though?
Well, I think Gogeta could unpause the timer by just entering the living world. These rules are easily bent.

Of course Fusion Reborn did not even think about that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:35 am

I wonder if some of the material we've been shown gives us an idea of what Broly's personality will be like? First we have Cheelai and Lemo, who sound like they're trying to deal with him on an interpersonal level. That's already a far cry from Mr. "I Am Devil" who punched his own dad's eye out and just destroyed, destroyed, destroyed. The other is that quick scene of Paragus in the trailer where he's presumably siccing Broly on Goku and Vegeta. It stands out as interesting to me because Paragus spent the entirety of movie 8 trying to stop Broly from fighting them with his mind control device. Once Broly unleashed his power Paragus said screw it and tried to peace out. I think that might add a bit of evidence to my theory that Broly is not normally so violent. But with his base form being so strong, I really wonder if the transformations aren't something he learns during his fight with Goku and Vegeta. Paragus might not have any idea what kind of hornet nest he's prodding.
PFM18 wrote:
They'd probably just de-fuse when they came back or burned up their power.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:40 am

So, with the CG models, there has to be plenty to cover the various forms of the characters, especially Broly.

I hope this means diversity and good escalation of the fights.

Post by #17 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 am

The CG will be used for 17 crashing the party with his cruise

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:43 pm

They fused in the otherworld in Fusion Reborn, then they defused. Why you think there's no time in the otherworld? Characters don't age there because they are dead, but the time should flow there like in the real world.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Mnich wrote:
They fused in the otherworld in Fusion Reborn, then they defused. Why you think there's no time in the otherworld? Characters don't age there because they are dead, but the time should flow there like in the real world.
Did you actually bother to read the previous posts or did you just read that one and decided to answer?
Cetra wrote: Of course Fusion Reborn did not even think about that.
I am fairly certain somewhere it was established that time does not flow in the otherworld. Of course from a mere physics perspective this is not possible because they move but its not like Dragon Ball ever made a fuss about that. I think it was especially emphasized when Goku used the power of SSJ3 with his body in the living world but I would need to re-check that. Also "they are dead so they don't age" is not really an explanation. Bodies underly conditions.

EDIT; Right, in vol. 40 Goku says where time exists, SSJ3 drains too much energy. I do not know what he says in the English version.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:16 pm

I don’t agree with Broly suddenly having no pupils in his normal Super Saiyan state. He’s always had pupils there in the old design. I don’t see why he wouldn’t have them in regular Super Saiyan. I think the pupil-less design should only be reserved for his Legendary Super Saiyan State.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:38 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:I don’t agree with Broly suddenly having no pupils in his normal Super Saiyan state. He’s always had pupils there in the old design. I don’t see why he wouldn’t have them in regular Super Saiyan. I think the pupil-less design should only be reserved for his Legendary Super Saiyan State.
I don´t think it really matters much. Plus, trunk´s pupils were gone when he went ssj grade 3, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for broly to do the same.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:I don’t agree with Broly suddenly having no pupils in his normal Super Saiyan state. He’s always had pupils there in the old design. I don’t see why he wouldn’t have them in regular Super Saiyan. I think the pupil-less design should only be reserved for his Legendary Super Saiyan State.
I don´t think it really matters much. Plus, trunk´s pupils were gone when he went ssj grade 3, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for broly to do the same.

That wasn’t Trunks’ regular Super Saiyan form and you know it. That argument is invalid. All i’m saying is that pupil-less eyes should only be meant for an absolute mindless state, and a regular Super Saiyan isn’t like that.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:27 pm

not sure why but I love the dark blue uni that Vegeta is wearing in the movie compared to his normal baby blue color. I think it's because any change to the "classic" look is enticing to me, they have long since gotten old to me.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:33 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
That wasn’t Trunks’ regular Super Saiyan form and you know it. That argument is invalid. All i’m saying is that pupil-less eyes should only be meant for an absolute mindless state, and a regular Super Saiyan isn’t like that.
When goku went ssj 1 on namek he had no puplis for a moment so...

Saiyans just loose their pupils when they gain immense streght, ok. Vegeta even did it before he got super saiyan.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: I don´t think it really matters much. Plus, trunk´s pupils were gone when he went ssj grade 3, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for broly to do the same.

Saiyans just loose their pupils when they gain immense streght, ok. Vegeta even did it before he got super saiyan.

Your arguments have no bearing on the point i’m trying to make at all. Yes these were just for a SPLIT SECOND. What i’m talking about is a form that has no pupils the entire time they remain transformed. I thought this was obvious. Only Broly so far seems to have that. And Kale aswell at times.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: That wasn’t Trunks’ regular Super Saiyan form and you know it. That argument is invalid. All i’m saying is that pupil-less eyes should only be meant for an absolute mindless state, and a regular Super Saiyan isn’t like that.

Your arguments have no bearing on the point i’m trying to make at all. Yes these were just for a SPLIT SECOND. What i’m talking about is a form that has no pupils the entire time they remain transformed. I thought this was obvious. Only Broly so far seems to have that. And Kale a swell at times.
And you don´t get my point of, it doesn't matter. Tell me, how does this affect the plot or story in anyway. Its only a minor changes that you´re nit picking for no real reason.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 pm

There is no need to quote images and make the board barely readable. If you want to quote someone who posted images, please omit the images and/or put them in spoiler tag.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Grimlock wrote:There is no need to quote images and make the board barely readable. If you want to quote someone who posted images, please omit the images and/or put them in spoiler tag.
Not sure what your definition of barely readable is. Its more of a mild inconvenience. But I get what you´re saying.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Makino isn't big on games, but he likes FighterZ. He and Fukunaga are impressed by the game's CG models with their strong anime vibe. But they've got to do an even better job! (laughs)
It's good to be optimistic, but these guys don't realize how big the mountain they are about to climb is.
They can't surpass perfection, which is what ASW did. The CGI being on the same level than DBFZ is already hard.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:44 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: It's good to be optimistic, but these guys don't realize how big the mountain they are about to climb is.
They can't surpass perfection, which is what ASW did. The CGI being on the same level than DBFZ is already hard.
You're right, everyone involved (and the viewers) should keep their expectations tamed regarding the 3D-rendered work involved. It's certainly a challenge, but even ArcSystemWorks's technical artist Junya C. Motormura admitted back in 2015 that their innovative take on 2.5D isn't as ungraspable as it may seem, and that the underresearched nature of the technique allows left room for improvement:
Junya C. Motormura wrote: "What made the difference [to make the 2.5D art style of Gulity Gear Xrd]? In my opinion, it was figuring out this one thing: the 'x-factor' is the artist's intention. All the techniques we used are actually nothing new. No new hardware or software innovation involved. Technically, the art style could have been done years ago. The workflow would let the artist's intention to carry through the final result, was the core to our final result."
We know that the work environment is incredible liberal in regards to artistic freedom, and the brief segments of Enraged Broli and Goku seem to be on-track with attaining Motormura's Team Red's design philosophy (ex: hand-drawn lines on the model's axis that retain a pixeless look even in close-ups, limited key-framed animation akin to 2D cel-animation or stop-motion with no interpolation). So far, the main difference we know between Motormura's Team Red at ArcSys and Makino's CG crew is their software (Unreal Engine 3-4 and Autodesk Softimage, compared to Unity), but the latter's open source nature allows it to replicate similar benefits found UE3 and Softimage.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:55 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: That wasn’t Trunks’ regular Super Saiyan form and you know it. That argument is invalid. All i’m saying is that pupil-less eyes should only be meant for an absolute mindless state, and a regular Super Saiyan isn’t like that.
Your argument was that lack of pupils should be reserved only for the Legendary Super Saiyan state, which he proved that it's not something exclusive in saiyan transformations as we've seen it used in various SS forms before. That argument is very valid.