Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:41 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:So what do you guys think about Vegeta’s hair going a noticeable dark green during his transformation and Goku seemingly briefly tapping into UI during his transformation to Blue from red?
I have no clue...….. And that disturbs me.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:So what do you guys think about Vegeta’s hair going a noticeable dark green during his transformation and Goku seemingly briefly tapping into UI during his transformation to Blue from red?
The UI thing can be explained as an Easter egg. I’m more disturbed at Vegeta’s dark green hair.

My first thought was that its an artistic/stylistic choice but for one, its too much of a deviation from the established way SSJ happens. And the dark green hair doesn’t even just appear as a flash. Its up there for some frames to let the audience notice. And the hair is a way darker green than Broly’s form.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Broli Broly

Post by Broli Broly » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:
The UI thing can be explained as an Easter egg. I’m more disturbed at Vegeta’s dark green hair.

My first thought was that its an artistic/stylistic choice but for one, its too much of a deviation from the established way SSJ happens. And the dark green hair doesn’t even just appear as a flash. Its up there for some frames to let the audience notice. And the hair is a way darker green than Broly’s form.
Those are just visual effects. Why would a hint to some higher form (>SSB) take place in SSJ transformation sequence, and not in SSB, or even SSG?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Broli Broly wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:

Those are just visual effects. Why would a hint to some higher form (>SSB) take place in SSJ transformation sequence, and not in SSB, or even SSG?
Hmm that did occur to me too.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Honestly the oddest thing to me from the leaked scenes I've seen was his yransformation from blue to red was when his hair was spiked up like SSB but red like SSG. Reminded me of all the fan art of the "limit breaker" forms we saw before UI Omen was revealed

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:31 pm

So, came around to watching the rest I could not watch before. Still, as said, Broly is "cool" (or whatever) but totally off and could have been named differently. The star of the movie is Cheelye. Intention not met, reboot failed.

But it was at least worth to see Freeza's ass getting beat up Maximum style.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm

In particular, I do not see the new Broly really charismatic or as a cool character.

I mean, just like the old Broly, he's still not very expressive, and has no interesting interaction in the battles (he literally did not say anything during the whole fight). Broly's voice actor said he tried not to express much emotion, even in scenes where Broly talked about his past.

I also found that the pace of the movie at some moments is very accelerated, which makes things a bit strange, and I think this makes people not feel the real danger of Goku and Vegeta.

The battles really are amazing and definitely the best part of this movie (with the animation), but the use of CGI at times bothered me a lot. I also hoped that Goku SSB VS Ikari Broly / Goku and Vegeta VS SSJ Broly's fight would be much bigger. As I said, the pace in a few moments was very accelerated. The rest I did not find so interesting.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:

Probably just an odd artistic choice. Virtually all the transformations in the film are different in some way, so I think the directors tried to make transformations differently in this new style, which made some things very confusing.

After all, in the God - Blue transition, we saw Goku with golden aura, green, with UI hair only after we saw blue.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Broli Broly wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: The UI thing can be explained as an Easter egg. I’m more disturbed at Vegeta’s dark green hair.

Hmm that did occur to me too.
Same. Thats the other dilemma.

Ah well. I guess the safest bet is the just chalk it up to artistic choice until something related to this “green hair” thing happens if it happens.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:00 pm

So, I'm not the only one that saw that. I thought I was just watching a bad quality version of the movie. It really did turn green. I have no idea why they would do that. It's an artistic choice that doesn't make a bit of sense. It's like they were trying to for a candle that has already been burned out relighting theme, and because his hair is already black that had to choose a different color. It's as if he had to flick his base off to turn on SSJ. Just a weird choice.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Very interesting that Blue practically drained and defused from Vegetto so fast, but for Gogeta it was fine. I'm curious if we'll get to hear why. Maybe because of mortals or something. Maybe fake gods XD
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:20 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Very interesting that Blue practically drained and defused from Vegetto so fast, but for Gogeta it was fine. I'm curious if we'll get to hear why. Maybe because of mortals or something. Maybe fake gods XD
It doesn’t seem like Gogeta was going full power as he didn’t need to since he seemed to have been dominated against Broly with ease. Also, the fight could have been only 3 minutes and they’re just moving fast. You know, Namek time and T.o.P time.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Now that I've seen the movie, (camera rip on YouTube) I have the following feelings.
King Vegeta looks ugly and no where near as "cool" looking as his Movie 8 counterpart. (Or the anime counterpart) So Paragus and Beet have trouble fighting the spiders? Truly "low class scum."
Bardock is boring and I accept DB Minus. Bulma's new JPN actress sounds so much like "original Bulma" that it's scary and wonderful. (In a good way) Beerus is the perfect baby sitter and Bulla is in safe hands with him. Hey look it's Neiz's (1st Cooler movie) father and hot green alien girl.
Paragus is a dick just like his Movie 8 counterpart. Broly is Goku, Neiz's dad is Oolong and hot green girl is Bulma and I am okay with that. Freeza soldiers who can't fly? No wonder Freeza killed off his men in RF.
Steam coming out of Son's nose is adorable and Holy Moly Takahashi's art is sexy! Vegeta vs Broly is stunning even though Vegeta is absolutely pointless in this film. Yeah… Goku bouncing up and down makes sense (Getting them muscles ready and what not) but looks goofy and out of place within its context. SS1 sure gets a lot of love in this movie huh?
Damn, that SS1 into SSGod transition was beautiful, also boy does SSGod get a lot of love in this movie. So while SSGod Son Goku is lying in the snow mind talking to Piccolo what the fu@k is Vegeta doing? God he's pointless in this film. At least Yamucha gives exposition, Vegeta is useless.
The camera sure likes to focus on hot, green girl's butt a lot, I ain't mad about it though.I saw that slipt second Ultra Instinct movie, I saw it. So not going to lie, SSBlue Goku and Vegeta VS Rage/SS1 Broly is underwhelming and oh God the "Monkey Freeza" is back! Tate may animate well but his drawings/models look terrible. It's like looking at the end of the RF arc in Super all over again.
Hey look it's Gogeta, and… okay he's neat. This film really makes SS1 look badass and I thought SSBlue was the new "SS1."
Oh look it's SSBlue Gogeta, neat. What the fu@k is happening on screen right now?! It looks cool but I can't tell what's happening because it's a lot of "pew-pew and zoom-zoom."
So I'm mixed with this film. The prologue is disjointed, Broly, hot, green girl, Neiz's dad scenes are cute. Base/Rage Broly VS Base/SS1/SSGod Vegeta and Goku are superb and SSBlue Goku/Vegeta/Gogeta VS SS1/FP Broly is a mix of ugly and sensory overload. The ending is sweet, so I like parts of the film and feel indifferent to other parts. Somebody tell me what to feel!
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 pm

GTx10 wrote:Now that I've seen the movie, (camera rip on YouTube) I have the following feelings.
King Vegeta looks ugly and no where near as "cool" looking as his Movie 8 counterpart. (Or the anime counterpart) So Paragus and Beet have trouble fighting the spiders? Truly "low class scum."
Bardock is boring and I accept DB Minus. Bulma's new JPN actress sounds so much like "original Bulma" that it's scary and wonderful. (In a good way) Beerus is the perfect baby sitter and Bulla is in safe hands with him. Hey look it's Neiz's (1st Cooler movie) father and hot green alien girl.
Paragus is a dick just like his Movie 8 counterpart. Broly is Goku, Neiz's dad is Oolong and hot green girl is Bulma and I am okay with that. Freeza soldiers who can't fly? No wonder Freeza killed off his men in RF.
Steam coming out of Son's nose is adorable and Holy Moly Takahashi's art is sexy! Vegeta vs Broly is stunning even though Vegeta is absolutely pointless in this film. Yeah… Goku bouncing up and down makes sense (Getting them muscles ready and what not) but looks goofy and out of place within its context. SS1 sure gets a lot of love in this movie huh?
Damn, that SS1 into SSGod transition was beautiful, also boy does SSGod get a lot of love in this movie. So while SSGod Son Goku is lying in the snow mind talking to Piccolo what the fu@k is Vegeta doing? God he's pointless in this film. At least Yamucha gives exposition, Vegeta is useless.
The camera sure likes to focus on hot, green girl's butt a lot, I ain't mad about it though.I saw that slipt second Ultra Instinct movie, I saw it. So not going to lie, SSBlue Goku and Vegeta VS Rage/SS1 Broly is underwhelming and oh God the "Monkey Freeza" is back! Tate may animate well but his drawings/models look terrible. It's like looking at the end of the RF arc in Super all over again.
Hey look it's Gogeta, and… okay he's neat. This film really makes SS1 look badass and I thought SSBlue was the new "SS1."
Oh look it's SSBlue Gogeta, neat. What the fu@k is happening on screen right now?! It looks cool but I can't tell what's happening because it's a lot of "pew-pew and zoom-zoom."
So I'm mixed with this film. The prologue is disjointed, Broly, hot, green girl, Neiz's dad scenes are cute. Base/Rage Broly VS Base/SS1/SSGod Vegeta and Goku are superb and SSBlue Goku/Vegeta/Gogeta VS SS1/FP Broly is a mix of ugly and sensory overload. The ending is sweet, so I like parts of the film and feel indifferent to other parts. Somebody tell me what to feel!
If Vegeta is pointless in the film then so is Goku, since he does essentially no better than him fight-wise nor plot-wise in the movie.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:06 pm

zarmack wrote: If Vegeta is pointless in the film then so is Goku, since he does essentially no better than him fight-wise nor plot-wise in the movie.
They are both totally meaningless and it is funny how the old movie was so much more when it comes to that. Also I think the Gogeta part was an absolute disappointment. Not visually but simply because of what happened. Not only did it spit on Broly but it was hardly climactic battle. Ikari and Super Saiyan were more enjoyable to watch for me. And that is what I f'ing hate so much about this LSSJ and I said it before: This thing now is just Freeza 100% or Roshi or Bojack 100%. All the magic is gone. Way to miss what Broly is.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Xeogran wrote:...and to think there were people who didn't want Gogeta to be in this movie.
Holy shit were all of his scenes beautifully animated.
People still might not want him simply because he's seen just as fan service and does nothing to further the story besides beating up the bad guy. Animation isn't everything.
Gogeta is fanservice but so would Goku using UI again and beating Broly which is the other option a lot of ppl wanted. Once they get into the fighting aspect it doesn’t sound like there is much of any story anyways even before Gogeta enters the picture it’s just one long extended fight. Gogeta fits right in. The entire movie is basically fanservice.
Goku reaches a new plateau, a new mountain is found, the story goes forward. That's how it works. The story would have advanced if Goku furthered his mastery of UI.

Not that that's what I wanted. But fusion changes nothing at all(and is actively harmful). Not even a side advancement of Goku's and Vegeta's willingness to team-up.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Dagon wrote:I haven't seen the movie, and I don't want to know any plot details that haven't already been shown in trailers, but I saw that Freeza has a scouter and uses it. So are there any power levels in the movie? If so, what are they? In the most spoiler-free way, please.
We are given two official power levels in the movie:

Paragus is 4200
Baby Broly is 920

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:34 pm

I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. However, I do agree with many of the downfalls I've heard.
In the end, I liked the movie, but I prefer Movie 8 and LSSJ Broly.
Cetra wrote:And that is what I f'ing hate so much about this LSSJ and I said it before: This thing now is just Freeza 100% or Roshi or Bojack 100%. All the magic is gone. Way to miss what Broly is.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 pm

TysonWine wrote:
Exactly. I pray to God Toei fixes this.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:40 pm

IamTheMilkMan wrote:I was so thrilled to be able to attend this premiere, and it will go down as one of the best experiences of my life. It was an incredible treat as a huge Dragon Ball fan, and I hope I'm lucky enough to attend the next one.
As strange as this may sound, this is extremely heart warming and I'm happy for you having such a good time there! (And I'm very jealous)

As someone who is in the very few who thoroughly enjoys Super,(which apparently makes me a freak of some sort) I get a sort of odd satisfaction hearing other people enjoy it as much as I do. Even if for you it was just the movie, and not the series itself.
A Man named RJ wrote:I want the story to either naturally move past Boo where Vegeta isnt always trying to beat kakarot.
The last words in the original manga are literally "I will surpass you one day, Kakarot." If you think after the Buu arc Vegeta has no desire to surpass Goku, then you misinterpreted his development.
Cetra wrote:
TysonWine wrote:
Exactly. I pray to God Toei fixes this.
Mostly Toei just needs to fix Freeza's wish more than anything else. That is bordering on character assassination.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:56 pm

PFM18 wrote: Mostly Toei just needs to fix Freeza's wish more than anything else. That is bordering on character assassination.
That's such an insignificat part of the movie it hardly matters. Broly's 150% reboot is actual character assassination.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy