Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:If they planned things ahead this rift Black created, that not even him was sure what it was, could have lead to a Makaioshin arc later, but I guess have another Tournament was a more interesting idea.
It took, once again, a game to explore that rift and bring more possibilities to the table. Oh wait, holding another tournament is definitely more interesting! :roll:
Toxin45 wrote:Eh we still have the other universes to explore like what universe?
There's nothing interesting in other Universes except Universe 6. The only thing I wanted to know was what the hell a Yadorat and a Tsufurujin were doing in Universe 2's team in Universe Survival saga.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:18 pm

Grimlock wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:If they planned things ahead this rift Black created, that not even him was sure what it was, could have lead to a Makaioshin arc later, but I guess have another Tournament was a more interesting idea.
It took, once again, a game to explore that rift and bring more possibilities to the table. Oh wait, holding another tournament is definitely more interesting! :roll:
Toxin45 wrote:Eh we still have the other universes to explore like what universe?
There's nothing interesting in other Universes except Universe 6. The only thing I wanted to know was what the hell a Yadorat and a Tsufurujin were doing in Universe 2's team in Universe Survival saga.
That stuff is still gonna be video game exclusive.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Dragono wrote:3.No, it doesn't matter. Once it was revealed Freeza was in the TOP, people were enraged. The episode haven't even aired yet. Ask anything about what it was like when Freeza popped in the preview. Yes, people liked him later down the line but first responses were not good.
What's your point here? Obviously people wouldn't like Freeza's return, he had just returned in a terrible work, he was trashed in the same movie and in the end his character became saturated until Universe Survival saga kind of fixed that. It doesn't matter the first reactions, it matters the conclusion, what came next, the performance that the character had. Heroes can use Freeza over and over whatever they feel like it, if the plot he's involved is good, then his return won't bother at all. He is still a saturated character, but he is a bearable one now.
Dragono wrote:4.Whats so awesome about Bardock beating a super saiyan 4 Gogeta? You know damn well,
Yeah, I know damn well that Time Breaker Bardock didn't beat Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta at all. I also know that those animated trailers are purely for marketing, what matters is what happens in the game, and in the game, Time Breaker Bardock doesn't even meet Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta.
Dragono wrote:Let me put it to you in simpler terms, Kale is a character that heroes would have done and its exactly why people hate her.
No, people hate her because she doesn't contribute at all other than for merchandising purposes, was created solely to please Broly fans, purely out of fanservice. And she's an annoying character altogether.
1. No, people didn't want Freeza to return because it wasn't done for narrative purposes. It was done because Toriyama heard a fan song. Heroes brings characters back because of fanservice that people would be angry about if it happened in Canon, regardless of execution. Example Roshi, people were pissed off about him being in the tournament, the anime treated him exceptionally well, people were still pissed off. If Heroes is so new, why not make an entirely new cast of characters instead of using MOST of Toriyama's characters and ideas to this day.

2. No, if the trailers do something that dumb, I'm not going to even play the game. If super did something stupid for marketing which it did, people would rip it for that reason and that reason alone, which we did.

3. "purely out of fanservice" You mean like SSj4 Gohan?! Are you kidding me?! Heroes has done way more for broly fans than anything super has done.

Look, Heroes gets cut a lot of slack because its a game and its harmless, but if Toriyama's name was on any of that shit, not many in the west would respect him. They would call him a fanpandering sellout

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Dragono wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Dragono wrote:3.No, it doesn't matter. Once it was revealed Freeza was in the TOP, people were enraged. The episode haven't even aired yet. Ask anything about what it was like when Freeza popped in the preview. Yes, people liked him later down the line but first responses were not good.
What's your point here? Obviously people wouldn't like Freeza's return, he had just returned in a terrible work, he was trashed in the same movie and in the end his character became saturated until Universe Survival saga kind of fixed that. It doesn't matter the first reactions, it matters the conclusion, what came next, the performance that the character had. Heroes can use Freeza over and over whatever they feel like it, if the plot he's involved is good, then his return won't bother at all. He is still a saturated character, but he is a bearable one now.
Dragono wrote:4.Whats so awesome about Bardock beating a super saiyan 4 Gogeta? You know damn well,
Yeah, I know damn well that Time Breaker Bardock didn't beat Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta at all. I also know that those animated trailers are purely for marketing, what matters is what happens in the game, and in the game, Time Breaker Bardock doesn't even meet Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta.
Dragono wrote:Let me put it to you in simpler terms, Kale is a character that heroes would have done and its exactly why people hate her.
No, people hate her because she doesn't contribute at all other than for merchandising purposes, was created solely to please Broly fans, purely out of fanservice. And she's an annoying character altogether.
1. No, people didn't want Freeza to return because it wasn't done for narrative purposes. It was done because Toriyama heard a fan song. Heroes brings characters back because of fanservice that people would be angry about if it happened in Canon, regardless of execution. Example Roshi, people were pissed off about him being in the tournament, the anime treated him exceptionally well, people were still pissed off. If Heroes is so new, why not make an entirely new cast of characters instead of using MOST of Toriyama's characters and ideas to this day.

2. No, if the trailers do something that dumb, I'm not going to even play the game. If super did something stupid for marketing which it did, people would rip it for that reason and that reason alone, which we did.

3. "purely out of fanservice" You mean like SSj4 Gohan?! Are you kidding me?! Heroes has done way more for broly fans than anything super has done.

Look, Heroes gets cut a lot of slack because its a game and its harmless, but if Toriyama's name was on any of that shit, not many in the west would respect him. They would call him a fanpandering sellout
Nah Westerns forgave him after tournament of power.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon May 21, 2018 2:58 am

Toxin45 wrote:Nah Westerns forgave him after tournament of power.
What's to forgive? The Tournament of Power was a good arc, even if it went on too long. We got sixty-five new fighters, plus the Gods of Destruction, angels, and Supreme Kais. We got two new transformations (Ultra Instinct Omen and Mastered), which were more than just powerups and weren't new levels of Super Saiyan. The story was dark, and it was actually emotional when a universe was erased. We got a ton of interesting, creative, and beautifully drawn battles. The arc had some of the best artwork of the whole series.

Everyone says it was predictable, but how many people said that Android 17 would crawl out of the rubble and get the wish? No one. How many people thought that Frieza would team up with Goku to take out Jiren? No one. We didn't even know if all of the erased universes would all be revived, or if the gods would even allow such a wish. People seem to be confusing predictability with hindsight.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 am

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/998439203602972673
Looks like the North American tour will have some movie footage after all! :D

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon May 21, 2018 4:52 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/998439203602972673
That's neat! Shows that Toei want to market this film worldwide rather than just keeping it all in Japan. Hopefully that simultaneous release they brought up will actually end up happening.

Since the first North American tour is happening in July and lines up with my speculation that we're going to see the poster and title revealed in that month, I'm going to take a guess and say that it'll all be revealed there.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 21, 2018 6:56 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/998439203602972673
That's neat! Shows that Toei want to market this film worldwide rather than just keeping it all in Japan. Hopefully that simultaneous release they brought up will actually end up happening.

Since the first North American tour is happening in July and lines up with my speculation that we're going to see the poster and title revealed in that month, I'm going to take a guess and say that it'll all be revealed there.
Toei took steps with ResF even holding the premiere of the film in the U.S (but then seemingly went 10,000 steps back with DBS series) so that wouldn't be out the realms of possibility.

Unlike BoG and "F" I want to know as little about the film as possible so really hoping this global release (or close too) happens.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon May 21, 2018 9:04 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Unlike BoG and "F" I want to know as little about the film as possible so really hoping this global release (or close too) happens.
That might be difficult, what with you being the merch master. SSB got leaked that way after all. :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 21, 2018 11:26 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Unlike BoG and "F" I want to know as little about the film as possible so really hoping this global release (or close too) happens.
That might be difficult, what with you being the merch master. SSB got leaked that way after all. :P
Well they did a good job of covering UI up for the months after "Omen" debuted so I'd like to think they learned their lesson! I am sure this new Saiyan will get a form that will be the new secret for the film.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 pm

PFM18 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It wasn't a "money thing" DBS never got marketed until after the Trunks arc which incidentally was when all DBS RF Gi merch started coming..., these are what we've had from 2017 onwards:
[spoiler]Image
Some RF Gi Goku paired with Rosé Black...
Even Gigantic series:
Image[/spoiler]

Can people seriously stop thinking an explanation for something in DBS might be down to merch, it honestly drives me up the wall barely anything of DBS that could have been marketed has, hell DBS didn't even get properly marketing until after it's 4th arc! The 2nd new material arc. Every creative decision Toei made was made by them for them alone, hell Ultra Instinct wasn't even originally part of the U.S arc plans. Vegeta's new form hasn't even been marketed yet and it will be 11 months and counting since his new form appeared.
I'm glad someone finally understands that Super isn't just a toy commercial.
And it never was......

But people aren't very concerned with things like facts or being rational
And that is a huge issue that needs to be fixed.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Meshack wrote:I feel like we might see Queen Vegeta
Seeing how Kale was a Rule 63 Broly, so it wouldn't be surprising if the ruler of the U6 Saiyans is actually a woman Vegeta
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Seeing how Kale was a Rule 63 Broly, so it wouldn't be surprising if the ruler of the U6 Saiyans is actually a woman Vegeta
That would be.....interesting to see.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon May 21, 2018 3:55 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
I was saying we coukd possibly see Vegeta's mother before she died. King Sadala is definitely a man - hence KING Sadala

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 21, 2018 4:49 pm

I've been/am pulling for King Sadala's Queen to be female!Kakarrotto. I'm still expecting the king to look like bearded Vegeta from dbs episode 30.

Somehow I still think we'll see Vegeta's mom in a flashback before we get more Universe 6 though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Caulifla is already basically fem Goku

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 21, 2018 5:17 pm

She's got similarities to Goku, but Caulifla feels more like her own character to me. I'd think a Goku counterpart would also be as experienced as he is. Caulifla still seems like a teenager imo.

I do think if Goku had a daughter she'd be like Caulifla.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:She's got similarities to Goku, but Caulifla feels more like her own character to me. I'd think a Goku counterpart would also be as experienced as he is. Caulifla still seems like a teenager imo.

Lol No. Chi-Chi wouldn’t allow that.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:She's got similarities to Goku, but Caulifla feels more like her own character to me. I'd think a Goku counterpart would also be as experienced as he is. Caulifla still seems like a teenager imo.

Depends on when they had her. She's way less strict with Goten then she was with Gohan. At least in Z. Chi-Chi taught Goten martial arts after all.

She probably wouldn't lead a gang, but I could see Goku's daughter as a tougher version of Pan.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Mon May 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Chuquita wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

Depends on when they had her. She's way less strict with Goten then she was with Gohan. At least in Z. Chi-Chi taught Goten martial arts after all.

She probably wouldn't lead a gang, but I could see Goku's daughter as a tougher version of Pan.
But that was only because Goku was dead.