Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:14 pm

PFM18 wrote:Alright so I have heard from several people that they want to see Gogeta Blue defuse, and then Vegeta unlocks Ultra Instinct and defeats Broly. How would you guys feel if that were to happen?
I would like it. But this is the Goku show. So i rather have Goku do it in UI Mode. But i would take UI Vegeta finishing Broly over Gogeta anyday.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 pm

I'd take SSB Gogeta over UI Goku or Vegeta any day

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:24 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Do you guys think we might get a Yamoshi flashback in the movie? Maybe he fought an ancient Legendary saiyan who was an ancestor of Broly or something. I have to think that Toriyama mentioned him for a reason in that interview a few weeks before the movie news dropped
Certainly possible, yet in my opinion of what we've seen from the trailer unlikely. Maybe that's where Broli's hatred of Goku comes from this time, his ancestors?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Do you guys think we might get a Yamoshi flashback in the movie?
For a worthwhile movie, it better have something about Yamoshi.
RecolorSaiyan wrote:I have to think that Toriyama mentioned him for a reason in that interview a few weeks before the movie news dropped
Toriyama mentions a lot of things in interviews, sadly most of them do not make their way on-screen.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:50 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: People these days just don’t wanna see people prosper. I've seen people want to see Geekdom fail just because he’s so knowledgeable in dragon ball and is so successful because of it. There are always some people who think they’re knowledgeable about their favorite series and then they find out that there are people like Geekdom who know way more and even correct or debunk stuff that you thought was right but is actually wrong. And then they see how he’s so successful and are deep-down, really jealous. Don’t know if thats the case here, but its certainly the case a lot of the time. Basically people hate knowing that there is someone who knows more about their favorite series than they do. And the fact that those people who know more also have connections which gets them inside info just annoys people even more.
It has nothing to do with not wanting to see people prosper. I could care less about how people make their money. If you can make a living off of being a youtuber, then make your paper man. That’s awesome. I’m just not going to have these guys seem like “official sources” just because they are active members on this board. I looked this guy up and yeah it seems like he’s got a good following, but I don’t really care much for speculation and people giving their opinions when I’m searching for official posts/news. So when a guy posts a link to a guy on YouTube citing it as an official source, I get annoyed. Surely that is not unreasonable.

Yeah at this point everyone expects Gogeta to be in the movie. I’d like to see him, but I’m curious if they’ll handle it like they did Veggeto. Not giving the final blow, but almost finishing the job. As a Vegeta fan, I would love for them to fuse and Vegeta pick up some of the “secrets” to learning UI. I don’t think it’s unreasonable since both of them would have literally became one. Maybe exchanging knowledge.
Well the ain’t speculation. Geekdom says in the video that his “source” confirmed it
Um.. A third party saying his “source” confirms is exactly what I’m talking about. It’s not from an official source. It’s a guy who knows a guy. Another reason I can care less about this is because there was already overwhelming evidence that Gogeta was potentially involved.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:55 pm

New interview with the people behind the CG for the film. Herms has translated it on his Twitter.

Nagamine wants them to take full advantage of CG. Apparently, one of the locations in the film could only be realised in CG. That location is said to be one of the highlights of the film. It's a place that doesn't exist in reality. That's really interesting.

Looks like there will be a lot of CG action in the film. Hey, as long as it doesn't overshadow the hand drawn animation and it actually looks good, I'm cool with it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:02 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Alright so I have heard from several people that they want to see Gogeta Blue defuse, and then Vegeta unlocks Ultra Instinct and defeats Broly. How would you guys feel if that were to happen?
I would like it. But this is the Goku show. So i rather have Goku do it in UI Mode. But i would take UI Vegeta finishing Broly over Gogeta anyday.
I don't know how I feel about it. The biggest thing I don't want is for Vegeta achieving UI to feel forced and without any emotional weight because of it. So if it feels organic and it is executed well I would probably like it but I don't know

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:It's a place that doesn't exist in reality. That's really interesting.

Looks like there will be a lot of CG action in the film. Hey, as long as it doesn't overshadow the hand drawn animation and it actually looks good, I'm cool with it.
The man hopefullly knows the entire Dragon World does not exist in reality beyond concept.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:26 pm

prince212 wrote:So that gogeta thing is real official or not ? :crazy:
I wanna believe there’s a no gogeta chance
Nothing will be official until you have TOEI/Bird confirm via drawings, interviews, etc.
Everything so far is speculation based off events relating to DB franchise.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:New interview with the people behind the CG for the film. Herms has translated it on his Twitter.

Nagamine wants them to take full advantage of CG. Apparently, one of the locations in the film could only be realised in CG. That location is said to be one of the highlights of the film. It's a place that doesn't exist in reality. That's really interesting.

True. For some reason this does not sound good. CG doesn't really fit DB. It takes away from fast fluid fight scenes DB is known for.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Toei's done really good stuff recently with Precure CG so I've got an open mind, but it all depends on who they've got on staff for this particular project.
My main issue with CG animation in general is how too much true to life it is. Instead of squash and stretch cartoony speed and fluid movement you have everything moving at a slower, realistic, less stylish pace. It's not as fun to watch in motion.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Both V Jump and the Super Manga will drop this week, anyone excited?? I don’t think there will be any major news but hey, anything is better than nothing right!?

Post by #17 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:01 am

Why should wheat get UI out of a fusion?

He hasn’t got the “secrets” of SSJ3 or Kaioken as well.

And UI is even harder to master than these abilities. Not even talking that it would be a cheap way like his fake SSJ4 he couldn’t access later on cuz the machine was broken.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:28 am

CGI, specifically 3D-rendered, animation and visuals get a bad or underrepresented reputation, which is a shame in my book.

TL;DR: 3D-rendered animation, much like any form of animation, is just a tool that relies heavily on the hands of the person or staff involved to make their creative vision within the medium. In fact, remember the principles of animation, going above and beyond that, and adapting to your resources is the key to doing so (which is something that quite a few transitional artists tend to forget). It doesn't always have to look or move like molasses.

Anyways:

If we're talking solely about general character or action-focused animation, a couple of bad eggs (Berserk 2016, BoG's brief segment with Beerus and God Goku) or the seemingly standard, semi-realistic approach that modern Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks's mainline films only represent some of the ways the medium can be approached. (The same way the cartoonish Wallace and Gromit, the grounded Anomalisa, and the "split the difference" Kubo and the Two Strings are all stop-motion animation pictures with distinct visual differences such as their framerate and even modeling material!)

3D-rendered animation doesn't have to conform to a "slower, realistic, less stylish" pace or clash with the current look of Dragon Ball, the same way 2D cel animation doesn't always have to cartoonishly exaggerate animation principles such as "anticipation" or smearing. They're respectively known for doing those aspects naturally well, but the mediums are surprisingly flexible when given the time and resources to do so. We only have to look at the video game cinematics/in-game footage for Dragon Ball FighterZ or Dragon Ball Legends' intro.

In regards to the Dragon Ball Legends intro:
In regards to FighterZ:
Both projects break and warp the models in order to mimic the desired effect of squash and stretch (which is apparent in other video games like Overwatch, or even the aforementioned Disney movies -- though blurred). 2D animation and visual tricks are blended with the models for beam effects, shading, or even moments like the intensity of Gotenks' slapping on the volleyball. The characters' framerates are also manipulated down to match the 24fps standard of cel animation, rather than being 60fps buttery smooth, usually without the jarring nature.

I'm glad that CG Director Kai Makino explicitly mentioned ArcSystemWorks' FighterZ as a goal for his side of the staff. ArcSys Team RED's methods for FighterZ and Guilty Gear Xrd aren't exactly trade secrets after all. This little rant won't guarantee that the final product in the Broly movie will be 100% perfect, but I'm confident that Makino will be able to success with his ambitions.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:44 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:New interview with the people behind the CG for the film. Herms has translated it on his Twitter.

Goku vs Broly in the Shadow Realm! :o

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 am

From what I gather, the CG might be drawn over or contorted to mimic the cell-shaded style of traditional DB animation.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Looks like there will be a lot of CG action in the film. Hey, as long as it doesn't overshadow the hand drawn animation and it actually looks good, I'm cool with it.
Might or might not confirm that Gogeta isn't going to be the his final opponent, but earlier in the movie

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:57 am

CTAkuma wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Looks like there will be a lot of CG action in the film. Hey, as long as it doesn't overshadow the hand drawn animation and it actually looks good, I'm cool with it.
Might or might not confirm that Gogeta isn't going to be the his final opponent, but earlier in the movie
How so? Nothing on the screenshots or text indicates that.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:06 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
If fusion is in it, how's about making it worthwhile and having it beat someone. Seriously, why is this concept even exist if it has basically never done what it's there for except in Movie 12.
Now that you mention it, that is the only time its used to defeat someone where it succeeds isn't it?
Yep, and we've always got to make them cocky or stupid so they don't instantly destroy the opposition. What is even the point of having this concept around if its never gonna do anything but waste everyone's time, Movie 12 excluded.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:07 am

Xeogran wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
Since Gogeta has a timelimit and it looks like they are having multiple fights, with the final one taking place somewhere we've never seen before. Could be wrong ofcourse

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:53 am

CTAkuma wrote:
Xeogran wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: Might or might not confirm that Gogeta isn't going to be the his final opponent, but earlier in the movie
Since Gogeta has a timelimit and it looks like they are having multiple fights, with the final one taking place somewhere we've never seen before. Could be wrong ofcourse
They could always fuse in this new dimension though, with Gogeta vs Broly still being the final fight.