Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 am

Regarding Beerus and Whis, I love them but Toei/Toriyama genuinely need to have a good reason for them not to show up to whatever conflict, like the Trunks arc and unlike ResF. Or even like that one episode of DBS where they had a godly meeting of sort to attend.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:25 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:There will be NO fusion in the upcoming movie.
Now now, there are many new characters in the movie, and if it's also including universe 6 Saiyans, considering it's a movie about Saiyans, there's a high chance of kefla happening
I’m talking about a Goku and Vegeta fusion. Obviously..

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:07 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:There will be NO fusion in the upcoming movie.
Now now, there are many new characters in the movie, and if it's also including universe 6 Saiyans, considering it's a movie about Saiyans, there's a high chance of kefla happening
I’m talking about a Goku and Vegeta fusion. Obviously..
Couldn't catch the obviousness, the wordings of especially gogeta makes an acceptable interpretation in both senses, I assume you understand my confusion here..
If it's Goku Vegeta fusion you are talking about, then absolutely, almost zero possiblity of that taking place..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 am

If Gogeta were to appear in the movie, I hope Toriyama calls him Veku just to screw with everyone. Fillerphiles would be livid I'm sure :p

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:22 pm

The fusion is Toriyamas idea, Goku and Vegeta are Toriyamas ideas, Gogeta exists, it's only a matter to show him. Like Vegetto Blue, he existed from the moment Goku and Vegeta could turn Blue. It's a mixture of different canonical elements being confirmed to co-exist within the same universe, which we basically already knew.
I think there is chance we are going to see Gogeta at some point if Super continues, it's probably going to be a TOEI-decision. But he probably is not gonna be in this movie, Toriyama is probably wanting to do his own thing. I wouldn't mind if Gogeta would be in this movie shortly ('unexpected' transition before eventually MUI shows up as a final resort), but not with the price of sacrificing MUI. Gogeta exists within the Dragonworld, he only has to be executed, like with Vegetto Blue. Gogeta is fanservice, but not on the same level like incorporating Legendary SSJ (Female Broly) IMHO.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:The fusion is Toriyamas idea, Goku and Vegeta are Toriyamas ideas, Gogeta exists, it's only a matter to show him. Like Vegetto Blue, he existed from the moment Goku and Vegeta could turn Blue. It's a mixture of different canonical elements being confirmed to co-exist within the same universe, which we basically already knew.
I think there is chance we are going to see Gogeta at some point if Super continues, it's probably going to be a TOEI-decision. But he probably is not gonna be in this movie, Toriyama is probably wanting to do his own thing. I wouldn't mind if Gogeta would be in this movie shortly ('unexpected' transition before eventually MUI shows up as a final resort), but not with the price of sacrificing MUI. Gogeta exists within the Dragonworld, he only has to be executed, like with Vegetto Blue. Gogeta is fanservice, but not on the same level like incorporating Legendary SSJ (Female Broly) IMHO.
UI Gogeta and UI Vegito also existed the moment Goku turned UI.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Man, we probably will only know more about the new Saiyan villian around July, I'm really interested if he has some connection to the Hannibal Saiyan from Heroes.

Saturnine wrote:If Gogeta were to appear in the movie, I hope Toriyama calls him Veku just to screw with everyone. Fillerphiles would be livid I'm sure :p
Cool for you, bro.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Regarding Beerus and Whis, I love them but Toei/Toriyama genuinely need to have a good reason for them not to show up to whatever conflict, like the Trunks arc and unlike ResF. Or even like that one episode of DBS where they had a godly meeting of sort to attend.
Well it's not so bad now and they don't need a real reason to be there besides " we're hanging out on earth becuase we like the food and you guys are kind of... well "friends" is a strong word... the least annoying people we know". they really don't need strong reason to be their and they have pretty much become part of the main caste now.

Given how strong Goku and Vegeta are now, Beerus nolong threatens to pull the tension-rug out from under the conflict as he did in RoF. If the new "bad" is powerful enough to give current Goku a hard time, Beerus cannot just swoop in and deal with them either. Plus he's normally happy to just let things be unless someone gets in his face. Whis for all his power is pretty much a none factor in reguards to any fighting since he wont act unless he's attacked directly. And we don't know if they just cameoing yet, Goku and Vegeta could just be training at the temple and leave when something happens. Beerus could be asleep or just say "every time we hang round those idiots something happens and we have to bail them out, let them sort it out for a change".

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm surprised we still don't have any new saiyan designs. Not only the supposed villain from the trailer but others, since I doubt we will only see him in the scenes from the past.

I can't say I'm hyped for a Toriyama-writed film after RoF and the initial ideas on the Zamasu arc though. But I love the new artsyle and I know the animatiom will be great so I'm looking forward to watch it.

Also, as a probably very impopular opinion: I would prefer if UI doesn't show in the film at all. Way too predictable if Goku beats the enemy using it, even if it's for a momment. But to be fair Toriyama has been at least good enough regarding twists at the end of Super-related arcs/films.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:51 am

MisteryOne wrote:I'm surprised we still don't have any new saiyan designs. Not only the supposed villain from the trailer but others, since I doubt we will only see him in the scenes from the past.

I can't say I'm hyped for a Toriyama-writed film after RoF and the initial ideas on the Zamasu arc though. But I love the new artsyle and I know the animatiom will be great so I'm looking forward to watch it.

Also, as a probably very impopular opinion: I would prefer if UI doesn't show in the film at all. Way too predictable if Goku beats the enemy using it, even if it's for a momment. But to be fair Toriyama has been at least good enough regarding twists at the end of Super-related arcs/films.
Maybe they'll make it a big reveal for the trailer, and reveal more about the villain closer to the date? Anyway, I doubt they'll reveal the bad guy before the trailer.

I wouldn't worry as much about the script of the film, as I would about how its going to be handled. ROF sucked hard because it had the most mediocre handling and presentation of a fairly dull script. With this film, even if the script isn't particularly great, with Tatsuya Nagamine as director, I think you can still expect it to at least be really entertaining and engaging, if a little shallow. In other words, if you don't have faith in Toriyama, at least have faith in the staff handling the script to make it entertaining.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:20 am

Db movies aren't that great in general, rof was no exception..
DB usually works best as a series as far as I am concerned
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:53 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Db movies aren't that great in general, rof was no exception..
DB usually works best as a series as far as I am concerned
True, but that doesn't mean they can't be great if given the right love and attention, like this films seems to be getting based on the staff.

Hopefully its at least consistently entertaining, and technically competent.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:19 am

MisteryOne wrote:I'm surprised we still don't have any new saiyan designs. Not only the supposed villain from the trailer but others, since I doubt we will only see him in the scenes from the past.

wasnt the whole zamasu thing mostly effected by toei wanting to use trunks?

and no I'm with you. Id rather not see UI for a while, and see Goku and Vegeta slowly work up to it with new forms and abilities related to godly ki

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:31 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:

and no I'm with you. Id rather not see UI for a while, and see Goku and Vegeta slowly work up to it with new forms and abilities related to godly ki

What other abilities, i wonder? UI was the next step as Whis was already talking about it when they were training for Blue. I would think the next phase of divine training is aimed at the real 'mastery' of UI, being able to use it 'at will'.
If there would be a new ability not UI-related, it rather have something to do with ancient Saiyan-power for instance, not a direct result of divine training.

The return of UI is somehow predictable, but the form would look great with that snowy background. UI doesn't automatically mean there can not be any other unexpected plottwists at the end.
For me, if they can do a great movie without UI, that's fine by me. As long as i've seen seen it and think 'this has been some really good stuff'. I nontheless think UI is going to be in it, it's been hyped so far for a reason

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:32 am

Mister_Popo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

What other abilities, i wonder? UI was the next step as Whis was already talking about it when they were training for Blue. I would think the next phase of divine training is aimed at the real 'mastery' of UI, being able to use it 'at will'.
If there would be a new ability not UI-related, it rather have something to do with ancient Saiyan-power for instance, not a direct result of divine training.

The return of UI is somehow predictable, but the form would look great with that snowy background. UI doesn't automatically mean there can not be any other unexpected plottwists at the end.
For me, if they can do a great movie without UI, that's fine by me. As long as i've seen seen it and think 'this has been some really good stuff'. I nontheless think UI is going to be in it, it's been hyped so far for a reason
I dont think that mastered ultra instinct is what I would call 'next step' given how OP it was and there was a stage between that Goku couldnt do of his own free will. If the sparkles in Rose and Blue Evolution aura is intentionally there to show an advancement of god-like ki and limit breaking, and the language used for UI was limit breaking shells, then there should be more shells to go through. Like how ogres and onions have layers.

We can see Goku and vegeta enhance their blue, synergize it in different ways due to the kaioken for Goku or perhaps something a bit oozaru-ish in geets before they both finally are able to make it to UI Omen of their free will, then at the end of the show, they can UI completely at will

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:54 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

I dont think that mastered ultra instinct is what I would call 'next step' given how OP it was and there was a stage between that Goku couldnt do of his own free will. If the sparkles in Rose and Blue Evolution aura is intentionally there to show an advancement of god-like ki and limit breaking, and the language used for UI was limit breaking shells, then there should be more shells to go through. Like how ogres and onions have layers.

We can see Goku and vegeta enhance their blue, synergize it in different ways due to the kaioken for Goku or perhaps something a bit oozaru-ish in geets before they both finally are able to make it to UI Omen of their free will, then at the end of the show, they can UI completely at will

From viewing point Whis it was the next step: God-Ki and then there is UI. There is nothing in between, besides Omen, which has no use anymore if one knows perfected UI.
Blue Kaioken and Blue Evo are the most advanced states involving God-Ki there are. But they are not a direct result of Whis divine training, even Blue isn't. It's Vegeta and Goku further exploiting and combining existing techniques and transformations to improve. The next transformation could very well be something oozaru-ish combined with some divine power for instance. Goku however will rather have to fight against such a form in this movie, than using it by himself. What else would there be besides UI at this point beyond Blue Kaioken and Evo?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:49 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Db movies aren't that great in general, rof was no exception... DB usually works best as a series as far as I am concerned
I disagree, BoG was something completely different we got from the past DB movies, many thought the succeeding movie would keep the same formula and expand on screen the concept Beerus introduced about other universes, way better than reviving a past villain to be killed pointlessly.

The only good thing about RoF is that Super came afterwards.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

From viewing point Whis it was the next step: God-Ki and then there is UI. There is nothing in between, besides Omen, which has no use anymore if one knows perfected UI.
Blue Kaioken and Blue Evo are the most advanced states involving God-Ki there are. But they are not a direct result of Whis divine training, even Blue isn't. It's Vegeta and Goku further exploiting and combining existing techniques and transformations to improve. The next transformation could very well be something oozaru-ish combined with some divine power for instance. Goku however will rather have to fight against such a form in this movie, than using it by himself. What else would there be besides UI at this point beyond Blue Kaioken and Evo?
I think you missed my point. There are more likely further enhancements. I also go off the 'self limiting shells' comment in the anime about the ultra instinct. There could be multiple stages to it, and since blue evolution is described as a 'limit break' in the same way, I still believe we could see more in between stages. Heck maybe even a Blue 2/3 or some other colour before UI

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

I think you missed my point. There are more likely further enhancements. I also go off the 'self limiting shells' comment in the anime about the ultra instinct. There could be multiple stages to it, and since blue evolution is described as a 'limit break' in the same way, I still believe we could see more in between stages. Heck maybe even a Blue 2/3 or some other colour before UI

I didn't say there weren't any further enhancements possible. I only stated: not at this time in this movie, by our knowledge. There is nothing there can be learned or new shelves to be broken by this point, as this limit-breaking shelve is UI. The transformation you are describing, is probably the one the villain gets. The other ancient Saiyans may have that form as well, Goku maybe can learn from it to stack in on top of his other forms, but probably not within this movie. If he would achieve the same transformation as the villain within the context of this movie, that would be completely ridiculous. Super Saiyan Blue 2 in this movie? No thx, i rather stick to UI to get on my plate.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:06 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

I didn't say there weren't any further enhancements possible. I only stated: not at this time in this movie, by our knowledge. There is nothing there can be learned or new shelves to be broken by this point, as this limit-breaking shelve is UI. The transformation you are describing, is probably the one the villain gets. The other ancient Saiyans may have that form as well, Goku maybe can learn from it to stack in on top of his other forms, but probably not within this movie. If he would achieve the same transformation as the villain within the context of this movie, that would be completely ridiculous. Super Saiyan Blue 2 in this movie? No thx, i rather stick to UI to get on my plate.
the last two movies have introduced a new form each, and super has introduced, rose, blue evolution, blue kaioken, ui in both unmastered and completed states. I was also talking as a general thing, I dont think Super's next move is to give Goku the form that makes him strongest in the universe at will, that seems to be the cap of his potential to get so far beyond the hakaishin level as he has. I think in general the series will introduce things in the future that lead up to it and new forms in between