Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Toei wrote Freeza character in such a brilliant way in Universe Survival arc that would be interesting to go deeper with his plot of overtaking the Gods.
But If he's forcing Paragus to control Broly and as everyone already knows he was the one to destroy Planet Vegeta, then I doubt he will survive in the end.

Honestly at this point feels like Toriyama is holding Toei back, but let's see how it goes.
Didn't they mention his plot to overthrow the gods in one of the promo interviews? Or that that might be his ultimate ambition?

If he's after the Dragon Balls like that one summary said he might have some other plot afoot.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Do they have it in them to kill Freeza off a 3rd time in this continuity though? Was this a long game where they knew they needed him for the Brolli movie and that's why they brought him back for the ToP and gave him his life back at the end; so he could die by Brolli's hands? Or is he going to get away unpunished outside of Brolli beating him up and have him return yet again in another movie or story arc because he's too popular to stay dead and unlike also popular Cell is way easier to animate?

I'm just glad these questions will all be definitively answered in a little over three weeks.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:Do they have it in them to kill Freeza off a 3rd time in this continuity though? Was this a long game where they knew they needed him for the Brolli movie and that's why they brought him back for the ToP and gave him his life back at the end; so he could die by Brolli's hands? Or is he going to get away unpunished outside of Brolli beating him up and have him return yet again in another movie or story arc because he's too popular to stay dead and unlike also popular Cell is way easier to animate?

I'm just glad these questions will all be definitively answered in a little over three weeks.
I honestly think killing Freeza again at this point is out of the question. To have him revived not once but twice and then kill him off again seems pointless

I never felt Dragon Ball needed a recurring villain but it looks like we may just have one in Freeza.

However I will say the description we have of Freeza for the movie sounds like the best role for him as a villain so far.

In ROF he did not come off a credible threat once Goku & Vegeta arrived on the scene

In the TOP I honestly don’t like seeing the finale of Goku working with Freeza. While it does make sense that Freeza & Goku would cooperate with each other for their own goals. In Goku’s case the universe surviving, in Freeza’s case perhaps using Goku to further his own goals. But in the end Freeza didn’t do anything truly manipulative and he came off as too anti-hero and that doesn’t work personally for me for Freeza.

But in this movie (going by the spoilers) it seems Freeza is indeed pulling strings & manipulating Broly and Paragus to reach his goals. This I think is how to write Freeza as an a real threat even though he may not be able to beat Goku & Vegeta with strength alone. I like when there is a more to a villain that pure power. This to me is a good development for Freeza and now I am actually excited for him in this movie & what schemes he will hatch. Of course I still don’t know what Freeza’s role as a long time villain will be. And I think ultimately he may eventually have to be defeated for good again or be redeemed or some other final solution for the character. I just don’t think they can keep finding new ways to use Freeza as a villain forever.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:20 pm

I have a thought in the back of my head that Freeza gets to make his wish.

He says “Make me the OmniKing”. Super Shenron takes his wish literally and Freeza just turns into another Zeno or some shit.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:23 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Toei wrote Freeza character in such a brilliant way in Universe Survival arc that would be interesting to go deeper with his plot of overtaking the Gods.
But If he's forcing Paragus to control Broly and as everyone already knows he was the one to destroy Planet Vegeta, then I doubt he will survive in the end.

Honestly at this point feels like Toriyama is holding Toei back, but let's see how it goes.
Didn't they mention his plot to overthrow the gods in one of the promo interviews? Or that that might be his ultimate ambition?

If he's after the Dragon Balls like that one summary said he might have some other plot afoot.
Yeah the director or someone close to the production mentioned that goal again which meant it wasn't a Toei "idea" that a lot of people suspected (same for the NBoL, retelling the movies huh turns out people falsely accused Toei of things for years!)

What I think happens is Freeza obviously knows the risk of going to Earth so he finds Paragus & Broly and decides to use them, obviously will bribe Paragus with something or saying how he can take revenge on the Prince's Son.

Now what's interesting to me is we see Broly Anger fight Freeza in that lava place.... Where Bulma is also seen and Broly has the Freeza armour so it definitely must be on Earth not Vampa but at this point Broly hasn't lost control presumably, so why is he attacking Freeza? Paragus learns the truth and turns Broly on Freeza?

Or what if it's actually Gogeta vs Broly & Freeza?

Another theory is Freeza is still alive when Broly loses control and dips the hell out.

Also another theory I have on how they beat Broly is Cheelai comes in last minute announces she's pregnant and Broly snaps out, and then he and Cheelai head back to Vampa.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Mnich wrote:Image

Vegeta looks bad, I don't like his new kid design at all. They should stick with his previous look, especially since it was shown in BoG arc. Goku and Broly designs are good.
That isn’t new at all. Vegeta had that same design in the Battle of Gods movie, so it’s over five years old at this point.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:49 pm

HeroR wrote:

Vegeta looks bad, I don't like his new kid design at all. They should stick with his previous look, especially since it was shown in BoG arc. Goku and Broly designs are good.
That isn’t new at all. Vegeta had that same design in the Battle of Gods movie, so it’s over five years old at this point.
No. Vegeta had a completely different design in the BoG movie and arc.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:51 pm

HeroR wrote:

He looked way better in BoG, probably because of Yamamuro (?). Even so, they still fixed him in Super BoG arc, I guess there is still hope that they will fix him again in Super Broly arc.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Mnich wrote:He looked way better in BoG, probably because of Yamamuro (?). Even so, they still fixed him in Super BoG arc, I guess there is still hope that they will fix him again in Super Broly arc.
Fix what? It's just a promo pic, things look very different when animated

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Mnich wrote:
HeroR wrote:

He looked way better in BoG, probably because of Yamamuro (?). Even so, they still fixed him in Super BoG arc, I guess there is still hope that they will fix him again in Super Broly arc.
It wasn’t a fixed they just used their old anime design for Kid Vegeta that they created in Z.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Chuquita wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Chuquita wrote:But if Brolli destroys this arctic area (presuming it's at one of the poles) wouldn't that cause immense flooding across DB Earth? Or maybe if it wouldn't be brought up.
Makes me think of the fact that when Kamesennin destroys the moon the first time that it has actual repercussions (though gag-related) in the form of Man-Wolf at the tournament.

On blue and stamina...I really enjoy ssjg Goku, but because I really enjoy him I don't have the urge to need any reasoning as to why Goku's in ssjg instead of ssjblue, but whatever.

On Bulma and wishing for youth...you know, sure. Why not. Vegeta gets to be perpetually in his prime until he's 80 so I can see Bulma wanting to not feel like she's left behind (on that note I can see even Goku being tempted into a wish to keep himself from hitting that big aging hump at 80 so he can stay in his prime and continue to see how strong he can get).
Toei couldn’t even keep their power scaling organize.

Do you honestly expect them to think about small details concerning the artic area and flooding?
Power scaling is something I don't care about. I'm not the person to ask.

Please re-read my first paragraph because I said "Or maybe if it wouldn't be brought up" in regards to the flooding. I agreed with you right there.

It's not just you, but I'm starting to think not everyone reads everything in these longer posts when I make them and they only skim through/glance at them.
I was using power scaling as an example of Toeis inability to think deeply. If you don’t care about scaling, that’s your prerogative.

I read everything you said. The only thing I was interested in responding to was the artic/ocean post. Everything else, I had no interest on commenting on.
How i predict the tournament will end:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:58 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

https://www.tumblr.com/reblog/126829048159/FDgLuhgT

The one in the Battle of Gods Saga is based on his old anime design.
Kanassa wrote:

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:18 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

The problem is his legs are too long, and he dosen't have a scouter. Plus I'm not a fan of goku being a kid on planet vegeta, it's much better that he was a newborn during the destruction of planet vegeta.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:32 pm

HeroR wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Ok? I was just telling you that Vegeta didn’t have the same design in BoG that he does now since you said that the new kid Vegeta design we have was the same one in the BoG movie

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:33 pm

1345521 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
The problem is his legs are too long, and he dosen't have a scouter. Plus I'm not a fan of goku being a kid on planet vegeta, it's much better that he was a newborn during the destruction of planet vegeta.
I'm confused on what this has to do with me post though, :?:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:44 pm

So, Paragus is apparently actually the type of person to try and be a good father, eh? Interesting. I'm glad that Toriyama is breaking out of his usual comfort-zone by pushing to make Paragus conflicted. He wants to do right by his son but at the same time it's hard to pass up the chance to avenge himself and his son for their fucked up life by making use of the very son he's trying to right by. I'm feeling really good about this movie. It's a shame they're only being given 100 minutes.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:09 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: No. Vegeta had a completely different design in the BoG movie and arc.

Ok? I was just telling you that Vegeta didn’t have the same design in BoG that he does now since you said that the new kid Vegeta design we have was the same one in the BoG movie
It is since Battle of Gods movie Vegeta is just a smaller version of adult Vegeta.
Kanassa wrote:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Stop. I can’t believe someone would say that Toriyama is holding Toei back...

If anything, he’s stopping them from making ridiculous, out of universe changes. Unless you completely forgot about all the issues with series during its run? I’m not about to go into too much detail about it. My days of writing long posts are over with. But to say that Toei would be better off running the show, is completely asinine.
How i predict the tournament will end:

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm

TheOne wrote:

If anything, he’s stopping them from making ridiculous, out of universe changes. Unless you completely forgot about all the issues with series during its run? I’m not about to go into too much detail about it. My days of writing long posts are over with. But to say that Toei would be better off running the show, is completely asinine.
Many of the worst decisions made for Super (both versions) came directly from Toriyama. And speaking of DB(Z), Toei has outshined Toriyama several times with the original series. Just compare Toei's superior versions of History of Trunks story, the Bardock story, Goku vs Majin Vegeta, Piccolo vs 17, Gohan becoming a SSJ for the 1st time, Gohan vs Buutenks, etc to Toriyama's versions from the original manga and DB Minus to see what I mean.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:24 pm

TheOne wrote:

Producers are the ones that push for the less-than-good content. Nagamine could easily be the one to push for certain elements given that he too is a creator. Far too often we provide too much credit to Toriyama and not enough to the other creative minds actually producing this content.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf