Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Meshack » Sun May 20, 2018 10:29 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Hoenstly drives me up the wall. I think people just see how well DB does in the money department and just automatically think that the merchandising people run the franchise all of a sudden. Goku's big new form wasn't even part of the original plans for the arc and it wasn't even part of the main U.S arc marketing/merch promotion instead was SSGSS for the 4th arc in a row too. Hell Goku's form was kept quiet until the final month of DBS while everyone fell for "Omen".

The handling of Goku's new form should rubbish any idea that people have that DBS was somesort of "toy commercial". The merch was nothing more than the by product of the series not the otherway around.
Wait, where was it said that Ultra Instinct wasn’t part of the original plans?
In the interview with the producers didn't they say when they were planning the special that Toriyama gave them the idea for UI?
Umm... no.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun May 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I'm glad someone finally understands that Super isn't just a toy commercial.
I hate that as well
Hoenstly drives me up the wall. I think people just see how well DB does in the money department and just automatically think that the merchandising people run the franchise all of a sudden. Goku's big new form wasn't even part of the original plans for the arc and it wasn't even part of the main U.S arc marketing/merch promotion instead was SSGSS for the 4th arc in a row too. Hell Goku's form was kept quiet until the final month of DBS while everyone fell for "Omen".

The handling of Goku's new form should rubbish any idea that people have that DBS was somesort of "toy commercial". The merch was nothing more than the by product of the series not the otherway around.

But it was, Omen wasn't part of it, but UI was of Toriyamas original script.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:38 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I actually think its hilarious that in videogames we are exploring the Dark Realm and Time Patrol stuff, while in the main show with Toriyama's help, we're stuck with bringing Freeza back and having Tournaments.
You know the sad thing is that you're right, I wish Toriyama had more creativity nowadays.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 pm

I believe Ultra Instinct was Toriyama's idea, although how long he was planning to implement it seems iffy. Ultra Instinct Omen, however, was TOEI's idea. Many of the anime's best ideas were from TOEI's staff, although I could have done without Super Saiyan Rage.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:09 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragono wrote: They brought them back for U6 and never again so it might be a money thing, they may not have sold well.
It wasn't a "money thing" DBS never got marketed until after the Trunks arc which incidentally was when all DBS RF Gi merch started coming..., these are what we've had from 2017 onwards:
[spoiler]Image
Some RF Gi Goku paired with Rosé Black...
Even Gigantic series:
Image[/spoiler]

Can people seriously stop thinking an explanation for something in DBS might be down to merch, it honestly drives me up the wall barely anything of DBS that could have been marketed has, hell DBS didn't even get properly marketing until after it's 4th arc! The 2nd new material arc. Every creative decision Toei made was made by them for them alone, hell Ultra Instinct wasn't even originally part of the U.S arc plans. Vegeta's new form hasn't even been marketed yet and it will be 11 months and counting since his new form appeared.
I'm glad someone finally understands that Super isn't just a toy commercial.
And it never was......

But people aren't very concerned with things like facts or being rational

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I actually think its hilarious that in videogames we are exploring the Dark Realm and Time Patrol stuff, while in the main show with Toriyama's help, we're stuck with bringing Freeza back and having Tournaments.
You know the sad thing is that you're right, I wish Toriyama had more creativity nowadays.
We have Zamasu though

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Toxin45 wrote:We have Zamasu though
Yes, but he didn't expand it to the Makaio concept, it wasn't even mentioned.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 20, 2018 3:14 pm

The gr wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: This Movie seems to be just more stuff about Saiyans and Freeza, while Heroes anime will actually cover new ground.
Aren't you a little curious about the new Saiyan lore, while the race is overused it could lead to good stories with the right execution,does the Bardock special ring a bell.
That's one of the reasons I'm concerned about this Movie. I loved Bardock TV Special so much that I don't need another Movie that focus on Saiyans lore.
The same way that Bardock TV Special rings a bell, DB Minus does it too and that was trash.

I would like to know what suggestions for the new movie Toei gave to Toriyama and he rejected, because I believe some of them could have more potential than what we are about to get.
Grimlock wrote:

If they planned things ahead this rift Black created, that not even him was sure what it was, could have lead to a Makaioshin arc later, but I guess have another Tournament was a more interesting idea.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Eh we still have the other universes to explore like what universe?

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun May 20, 2018 3:20 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
The gr wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: This Movie seems to be just more stuff about Saiyans and Freeza, while Heroes anime will actually cover new ground.
Aren't you a little curious about the new Saiyan lore, while the race is overused it could lead to good stories with the right execution,does the Bardock special ring a bell.
That's one of the reasons I'm concerned about this Movie. I loved Bardock TV Special so much that I don't need another Movie that focus on Saiyans lore.
The same way that Bardock TV Special rings a bell, DB Minus does it too and that was trash.

I would like to know what suggestions for the new movie Toei gave to Toriyama and he rejected, because I believe some of them could have more potential than what we are about to get.
Grimlock wrote:

If they planned things ahead this rift Black created, that not even him was sure what it was, could have lead to a Makaioshin arc later, but I guess have another Tournament was a more interesting idea.
Going by the movies that Toei made, it was probably one of his ideas that they ripped off.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun May 20, 2018 3:58 pm

I feel like we might see Queen Vegeta

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun May 20, 2018 4:29 pm

I've always given Super the benefit in the doubt and i still like the show. If there is one thing that somehow bothers me, it's not the animation quality of whatever. It's the fact they have to take into concililation a big part of their audience has matured over time, have seen other anime etc. So it wouldn't be bad the stories would somehow 'mature' over time. And they don't thusfar, and that's what bothers me the most, not the animation quality.The lasted part of Super and definetley ToP it's fine, fine to great. When Super is discussed a lot of time it's always about he animation,but i think they've worked on it and it's not a big deal anymore. But i would like the stories to gain a little bit more maturity. Move it from the early timeslot and make it just a little bit more mature please, if i have one advice to give. I don't expect Dragonball to become a deeply philisophical anime, but sometimes i think it's just a little bit too childish. This while a lot of original fans are in their 20s / 30s or even 40s by now. Please realize this aspect as well, TOEI and Toriyama. This is not to break anything down, it's just an advice / opinion to take into consideration.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun May 20, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun May 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:I've always given Super the benefit in the doubt. If there is one thing that somehow bothers me, it's not the animation quality of whatever. It's the fact they have to take into concililation a big part of their audience has matured over time, have seen other anime etc. So it wouldn't be bad the stories would somehow 'mature' over time. And they don't thusfar, and that's what bothers me the most, not the animation quality.The lasted part of Super and definetley ToP it's fine, fine to great. When Super is discussed a lot of time it's always about he animation,but i think they've worked on it and it's not a bid deal anymore. I have always given Super the benefit of the doubt. But i would like the stories to gain a little bit more maturity. Move it from the early timeslot and make it just a little bit more mature please, if i have one advice to give.
I think that's more the production committee wanting to appeal to younger audiences, than the time slot necessarily, because One Piece comes right after and that's a gore fest in comparison to Super.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun May 20, 2018 4:52 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:I've always given Super the benefit in the doubt. If there is one thing that somehow bothers me, it's not the animation quality of whatever. It's the fact they have to take into concililation a big part of their audience has matured over time, have seen other anime etc. So it wouldn't be bad the stories would somehow 'mature' over time. And they don't thusfar, and that's what bothers me the most, not the animation quality.The lasted part of Super and definetley ToP it's fine, fine to great. When Super is discussed a lot of time it's always about he animation,but i think they've worked on it and it's not a bid deal anymore. I have always given Super the benefit of the doubt. But i would like the stories to gain a little bit more maturity. Move it from the early timeslot and make it just a little bit more mature please, if i have one advice to give.
I think that's more the production committee wanting to appeal to younger audiences, than the time slot necessarily, because One Piece comes right after and that's a gore fest in comparison to Super.
I know what you mean. But take into consideration the Goku Black arc, if it was in a later timeslot, even in that early timeslot there were more opportunities to depict
for instance Goku Black or Zamasu like the real sadist beasts they were at the end. I mean, they were no Wil o Coyote or Yosemity Sam, they were real badasses, having killed all the Gods etc.

I've seen some other anime as an adult, and i've seen some other villains that were really bad. I don't expect Super to be gory or anything, but i sometimes miss that aspect of realistic violence. I sometimes had the feeling Black or Zamasu were more like Looney Tunes-villains and even Buu or Cell or Freeza in Z were more badass and traitening. A real traitening villain is what a story and hero makes epic in an anime story.

A little bit more 'hair on the balls' here and there would make the show better in my opinion, wihtout turning it into a gore fest. I mean, even One Piece, has a tiny shed of blood and even its impalements now and then, and it's in the same early same timeslot as Super.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
I know what you mean. But take into consideration the Goku Black arc, if it was in a later timeslot, even in that early timeslot there were more opportunities to depict
for instance Goku Black or Zamasu like the real sadist beasts they were at the end. I mean, they were no Wil o Coyote or Yosemity Sam, they were real badasses, having killed all the Gods etc.

I've seen some other anime as an adult, and i've seen some other villains that were really bad. I don't expect Super to be gory or anything, but i sometimes miss that aspect of realistic violence. I sometimes had the feeling Black or Zamasu were more like Looney Tunes-villains and even Buu or Cell or Freeza in Z were more badass and traitening. A real traitening villain is what a story and hero makes epic in an anime story.

A little bit more 'hair on the balls' here and there would make the show better in my opinion, wihtout turning it into a gore fest. I mean, even One Piece, has a tiny shed of blood and even its impalements now and then, and it's in the same early same timeslot as Super.
Kitaro has blood,so it’s more of production committee decision.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Meshack wrote:I feel like we might see Queen Vegeta
Now I'm just thinking of Vegeta in a dress.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sun May 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Heroes does not cover new ground or is any good.

It's literally just dumb fanservice show where everyone gets SSJ3/4 and fusions.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
I wont be against thosse, but Toriyama would never do that kind of stories, not in his prime and certainly not now, unless they force him to, and even then, he'll do just his own interpretation witch may not be what you guys are wishing.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Vados_chan wrote:Heroes does not cover new ground or is any good.

It's literally just dumb fanservice show where everyone gets SSJ3/4 and fusions.
Yup. I can tell that you’ve never investigated what DBH is even about.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Crossing my fingers that the website updates today with high res versions of the character sheets that were shown off in V Jump.