Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 am

https://twitter.com/dbreduxtdc/status/1 ... 66594?s=21

SSFP was a shintani concept not Toriyama

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Potara-Warrior96 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
it's more of a basic logical deduction than it is something that is explicitly stated.
So him being stabbed as a infant and left on a dying planet never happened then? I mean it's totally not like Broly associates Gokus crying with what happened as an infant. At the end of movie 8 when Goku punches Brolys abdomen conviently in the same area where he was stabbed at, what does Broly do? Has a flashback to when they were infants as Goku tears into his chest. Theirs more logical reason to assume he suffers from ptsd with Goku being the trigger since his crying was the first thing he heard immediately after being born and before almost dying. Second Coming also reinforces this by having Broly be awakened by Goten crying who at this point mental has deteriorated from almost being killed by Goku in M8. As far as I've seen there really isn't much proof to say Broly hates Goku for simply crying beside him when they were new born unless you severely ignore everything else that happened.
For the bolded, that wasn’t where Broly was stabbed at.
Funny could sworn he was stabbed in the chest but my point still stands about him associating Goku with the pain he felt after birth. Theirs his own power eating away at his mental stability and him experiencing a extreme amount of pain as shown visually by his facial expression before his body explodes in a release of ki and post transformation where he release a lot of it after throwing out his signature "Power is rising" line.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:42 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:https://twitter.com/dbreduxtdc/status/1 ... 66594?s=21

Where is the info from? That makes sense though given how SS Broly was a big deal and FP just happened like that. What's also pretty interesting even post movie almost 2 months Broly's green form is still popular so Shintani made a good decision, looks like.

Also kind of ironic that yellow SS Broly ended up being the least marketed Broly form!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Where is his source for this? He's not providing any context.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Where is the info from? That makes sense though given how SS Broly was a big deal and FP just happened like that. What's also pretty interesting even post movie almost 2 months Broly's green form is still popular so Shintani made a good decision, looks like.

Also kind of ironic that yellow SS Broly ended up being the least marketed Broly form!
He said the interview will be up on Kanzenshuu soon

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:29 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:SSFP was a shintani concept not Toriyama
Not surprised by that at all.

I really wish that they had reserved these sorts of things to secondary material like Heroes, video games and stuff. On Toriyama stories, they should stick to what he provides instead of shoehorning new transformations. But I guess it's too late for that, considering what we got with the TOP and all...

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Hold on. I just realized something. Earth's Dragon Balls make two wishes, right? Why did Shenron leave after Cheelai's one wish?

Hana Midorikawa

Post by Hana Midorikawa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:Hold on. I just realized something. Earth's Dragon Balls make two wishes, right? Why did Shenron leave after Cheelai's one wish?
I haven’t seen the Japanese version, but in the dub she asks to save Broly and send him back to Vampa. Maybe Shenron counted those as two separate wishes.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:Hold on. I just realized something. Earth's Dragon Balls make two wishes, right? Why did Shenron leave after Cheelai's one wish?
Because they only granted one wish the last time they were used in-universe. This time they used up the left over

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Shenron left Earth after wishing Pan to health as he couldn't wait any longer for a second wish.

Vegeta said in Broly that ToP basically just happened, ie not a lot of time had passed so since Earth DBs were used after Super DBs that Zamasu used the above explanation holds.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Shenron left Earth after wishing Pan to health as he couldn't wait any longer for a second wish.

Vegeta said in Broly that ToP basically just happened, ie not a lot of time had passed so since Earth DBs were used after Super DBs that Zamasu used the above explanation holds.
Ah. If that's the in-universe explanation for it, I'm surprised they even remembered that wish for Pan. That episode seemed very filler-ish.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Any source for this?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:44 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Shenron left Earth after wishing Pan to health as he couldn't wait any longer for a second wish.

Ah. If that's the in-universe explanation for it, I'm surprised they even remembered that wish for Pan. That episode seemed very filler-ish.
The main goal of that episode was to tie up the loose plot point of the second time machine Bulma had so it was a fairly important episode for the Trunks arc.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Miracles wrote:

Any source for this?
The interview will be posted on kanzenshuu soon. TDC is one of the mods so he’s seen it before we have

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:24 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
Miracles wrote:

Any source for this?
The interview will be posted on kanzenshuu soon. TDC is one of the mods so he’s seen it before we have
Thanks for the info.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:37 pm

DHM211 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:

I took these myself, but I'm sure you can find more floating around on twitter, or if you have a specific shot in mind I can take it for you.
Could you take a few screenshots of SSG Vegeta? If you have the time and are in the mood ofcourse.
Come to think of it, there was a specific shot of SSG Vegeta where he catches Broly’s punch before sending him flying through rocks. It’s upfront and you can see his SSG eyes really good.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: Could you take a few screenshots of SSG Vegeta? If you have the time and are in the mood ofcourse.
Come to think of it, there was a specific shot of SSG Vegeta where he catches Broly’s punch before sending him flying through rocks. It’s upfront and you can see his SSG eyes really good.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:00 pm

DHM211 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Thanks!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Although I'm not seeing it on Kanzenshuu's front page news yet, it would appear the interview mentioned earlier has been published on the site. It's funny because I actually own this movie pamphlet, and had no idea it was included within.

As to its contents, I'm both surprised and not surprised.

I'll start with why I'm not surprised. Of the few criticisms I've levelled at the film, one of them was how much of an afterthought Broly's green-haired version of Super Saiyan felt like - narratively, thematically, and even just directionally - and now that we know Toriyama had next to no involvement in that design (aside from the implication that he may have made some small correctional work) there's even less of a chance we'll see his transition expanded on in a possible extended cut, which was already unlikely to begin with given the fact that the home release is only two months away. I still think it's a minor nitpick in the grand scheme, but it does come across as a missed opportunity.

Now, here's where I am surprised: I would never have suspected that Toriyama didn't design this form. Shintani's artstyle is so damn convincing, in fact, that I wouldn't mind having him regularly contribute some of his own designs to the franchise's main stories, if only to see what he's capable of in the future. Pretty staggering potential there.

All in all, a very interesting, enlightening informational piece.