Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:09 am

While this film could've expanded more on the quieter moments, I LOVED this.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:24 am

RT Critic Consensus:
Dragon Ball Super: Broly may seem like colorful chaos to newcomers, but for longtime fans, it represents this long-running franchise near its action-packed apogee.
The movie currently has a score of 81% on the site.

mrsilentq

Post by mrsilentq » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am

Finally got to see it last night. It was so much fun, and I echo a lot of the criticisms I'm reading on the last few pages. Beyond that I really enjoyed the beginning and was actually a little disappointed that it flashed forwards to the present. I think any person without a prior knowledge of Dragon Ball could have understood most of the beginning (they pretty clearly explain each prominent character's role and the overall conflict as well). It seemed jarring to flash forward to the present where you have to be at least a casual fan (Freeza's different forms in the past/present), if not an up to date DBS fan (to understand who Beerus & Whis are even though they don't do much).
Another random thought: the way they showed Freeza kill Paragus was interesting but a little disappointing. He died in an equally throwaway moment to Beets (which may have some deeper meaning of hierarchy, but still).
Silly random things aside it looked fantastic, the music is still stuck in my head, the movie felt ambitious, and I appreciate that this it exists. I love that I can still feel so excited about this franchise in 2019. I'm not sure how to fill the void now so I reckon I'll see the movie another couple times.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:59 pm

I think you can't measure how huge this movie is and will be for Dragon Ball. The good will between TOEI and the fans has never been higher since super. And they follow up Goku v. Jiren with this colossal hit? It's unheard of. TOEI have become the example of how to return a franchise with respect and win back its fan base. They're almost on the complete opposite spectrum as Disney with the new Star Wars trilogy.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:59 pm

I dug it. I dug it a lot. Saw back-to-back screenings of it. Enjoyed it more the second time. Both crowds I saw it with were intensely pro-Vegeta and mildly anti-Goku. Amusing.

For my more substantive thoughts on it, you can go here.
Lord Beerus wrote:RT Critic Consensus:
Dragon Ball Super: Broly may seem like colorful chaos to newcomers, but for longtime fans, it represents this long-running franchise near its action-packed apogee.
Rottentomatoes is such a garbage site that adds nothing to film discussion. God I hate that place.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:34 pm

I really enjoyed reading this. I largely had the same thoughts about the themes of fatherhood (more specifically, its influence on their offspring) and how seamlessly they manage to tie all of it into a coming-of-age story about Broly, but you went into that in more detail than I did.

In many ways, the film might be some of Toriyama's thematically strongest material for Dragon Ball since the original manga. It's definitely his best modern work so far, I think, but I suppose mileage will vary there.

Also, Rotten Tomatoes is absolutely worthless. Just wanted to put that out there.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Fantastic visuals and animation
Amazing sound and music
Better Broly development I guess
OVerall mediocre writing and poor pacing

This movie really needed to be edited better, the backstory didn't connect at all and it felt like it dragged despite not doing nearly enough to set up the fight. The first hour could have been cut in half, because it was just almost all build up and nothing really to break it up.

Liked everything up to the Bardock part, they should have just stuck with the original from the special and omitted it from the movie. Totally washed away what made Goku and the saiyans different from Superman and the kryptonians

I liked how the first part set up broly vs vegeta but in the end it had no pay off. There was no motivation for broly to really hate vegeta other than his dad torturing him and by the actual fight i think the plot forgot about that threat in the first place. Instead of using exposition they should have shown us maybe a sparring match between the two, which Broly's potential briefly surfaces.

The entire motivation felt silly, but then again DB super has been nonsensical for the past while so that's to be expected.

Broly's character could have used more development, yes he was more than grunt grunt kill kakarot this time but we had maybe two scenes to really get to know him, and the story rushed so hard in these moments that i felt zero connection.

Really disappointed with this film in some areas, amazed in others. Not really surprised given that Toriyama is way past his prime, no clue why fanboys continue to revere him as god when his material is no where near as great as back in the day. We all should have seen this given how bad the buu saga was.

I have a lot more thoughts on this but imma leave it at that. 5/10

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote: I liked how the first part set up broly vs vegeta but in the end it had no pay off. There was no motivation for broly to really hate vegeta other than his dad torturing him and by the actual fight i think the plot forgot about that threat in the first place. Instead of using exposition they should have shown us maybe a sparring match between the two, which Broly's potential briefly surfaces.
I don't know, but I could easily imagine Paragus talking to Broly all the time on why he's growing up in that hell planet. Even without that, if I was Broly I'd be furious at the pain my father had to endure because of this family line. So, yeah, I can totally imagine being furious at being stranded for 46 years because I couldn't look better than the spoiled son of the King.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
I really enjoyed reading this.
Thank you. It means a lot coming from you. I had a lot to say about this movie, but very little to say about the plot, humor or the more typical stuff people talk about when it comes to these things. That's why I couldn't in good faith say I'm reviewing it or anything like that.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:25 pm

TKA wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:
I really enjoyed reading this.
Thank you. It means a lot coming from you. I had a lot to say about this movie, but very little to say about the plot, humor or the more typical stuff people talk about when it comes to these things. That's why I couldn't in good faith say I'm reviewing it or anything like that.
I’m glad your review is so more unique than the ones I saw. I’m glad you like the film as well and hope to see more Dragon Ball soon.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Easter Eggs found in Broly.
[Interesting video. Reveals "Broly" has many tributes to the original manga and past scenes involving the Ozaru transformation]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItmSueckCs

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 pm

By the way, did toriyama suddenly forget that shenron grants 2-3 wishes rather than just one? shenron immediately disappeared after one, this is just one of many detail errors i noticed in the film.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:By the way, did toriyama suddenly forget that shenron grants 2-3 wishes rather than just one? shenron immediately disappeared after one, this is just one of many detail errors i noticed in the film.
Not really. It's reasonable to assume that the characters are making wishes and then sending Shenron away before using up the total. Shenron can do that.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 pm

TKA wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:By the way, did toriyama suddenly forget that shenron grants 2-3 wishes rather than just one? shenron immediately disappeared after one, this is just one of many detail errors i noticed in the film.
Not really. It's reasonable to assume that the characters are making wishes and then sending Shenron away before using up the total. Shenron can do that.
Beerus in particular is well-known for this, and he's definitely been on Earth during the timeframe of the movie.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pm

foxfang4 wrote:Easter Eggs found in Broly.
[Interesting video. Reveals "Broly" has many tributes to the original manga and past scenes involving the Ozaru transformation]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItmSueckCs
There's a lot of stretching going on in that video too. Not everything is a reference/homage as implied, some ideas are just ideas that happen to be similar. He did a punch? Some of you might not know, but it's a reference to that other time he did a punch lol :lol:

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 pm

TKA wrote:
Except nobody told shenron to go away, he left right after granting one wish, and that's also a huge stretch in logic that's just bad writing.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:49 pm

TKA wrote:I dug it. I dug it a lot. Saw back-to-back screenings of it. Enjoyed it more the second time. Both crowds I saw it with were intensely pro-Vegeta and mildly anti-Goku. Amusing.

Lord Beerus wrote:RT Critic Consensus:
Rottentomatoes is such a garbage site that adds nothing to film discussion. God I hate that place.
I really enjoyed your review. In fact it's one of the best I've read online. I love getting deep into the themes/motifs. Moreover, I think you totally nailed Dragon Balls' appeal to adults.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Except nobody told shenron to go away, he left right after granting one wish, and that's also a huge stretch in logic that's just bad writing.
I don't think that's what they're saying. The previous time he was summoned he could have been sent away, leaving only one wish.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 pm

The last time Shenlong was summoned he granted two wishes, one for that random Freeza soldier and one for Pilaf gang, Goku had already used him before and Shenlong left (probably due to being scared by Beerus) without giving them the chance for the other two wishes.

That makes Shenlong available again to grant all the three wishes and no "now that you sent Broly away, you can go away too" was even implied to have happened in this movie.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Except nobody told shenron to go away, he left right after granting one wish, and that's also a huge stretch in logic that's just bad writing.
If someone had used up 2 wishes beforehand, Shenron would only have 1 wish left to grant. He said he would grant any 1 wish and then left. That means you assume someone has made 2 wishes previously.

This isn't bad writing. It's such an inconsequential part that is easily explained if you follow the series. Nobody is going to explain every single detail in a film.
foxfang4 wrote:
TKA wrote:I dug it. I dug it a lot. Saw back-to-back screenings of it. Enjoyed it more the second time. Both crowds I saw it with were intensely pro-Vegeta and mildly anti-Goku. Amusing.

I really enjoyed your review. In fact it's one of the best I've read online. I love getting deep into the themes/motifs. Moreover, I think you totally nailed Dragon Balls' appeal to adults.
Thank you.

But I emphasize that this is not a review lol. At least I don't feel comfortable calling it that. :oops: