Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:42 am

Michsi wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Oda's a fan of Avril Lavigne.
Oh, didn't know that. Makes sense then.

I don't know what Toriyama's international musical tastes are.

Has he ever mentioned anything about his taste in music ?All I know is that he did some art for the Maximum the Hormone. Is he a metal fan?
The One Piece Podcast did an episode a while back covering a news article where Oda talked about the music playlists he listens to while drawing the manga. The article had pictures of all the album covers and songs too. There was a mix of international and Japanese music. It's how I knew about him and Avril Lavigne.

Toriyama and metal? He could be. I feel like by reading DB and Slump I know more about his taste in movies than in music.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 am

Noah wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:It may not be SBB Evolution, but in the last DBS chapter Vegeta also has a stronger version of normal SSB, so maybe he will use it in the movie.
Nah, let's just keep the movie without the manga asininities :)
Too late. Toyotaro's SSG Vegeta has already made it's way into the movie.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:51 am

If I had to guess, the movie won't use ssbkk, ssbe, vegeta's new blue flame form or UI omen/UI. I think they will stick to god and blue and then fusion.

The manga will have Vegeta use his flame blue form and goku use Omen since at this point he can use it at will

The anime will have Vegeta use SSBE and Goku use SSBKKx20.

While Toriyama might approve of these forms in either version, i don't think he will put them in the movie and instead let toyotaro and toei staff use them in their own adaptations

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Michsi wrote:Didn't they have Avril Lavigne do the song for One Piece movie Z? Given how hard they are pushing for this to be an international event, I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to do something like this again.
Just to be clear - I have nothing against English-speaking artists in Dragon Ball. I actually love Avril Lavigne myself, BUT I'm against ideas like creating a song for Dragon Ball movie by hip-hop artists (or rap, whatever).
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Imagine a track like ‘Stronger’ from Kanye being used as an insert song during an action scene. That’d be fucking awesome. Of course, it will never happen.
That'd be fucking terrible. I can't really imagine something like that in Dragon Ball. Thank God it will never happen. I can understand that maybe someone would like that, especially if you love English dub with Faulconer score, or that strange GT soundtrack with heavy guitars. Yeaa ... no.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Mnich wrote:
Michsi wrote:Didn't they have Avril Lavigne do the song for One Piece movie Z? Given how hard they are pushing for this to be an international event, I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to do something like this again.
Just to be clear - I have nothing against English-speaking artists in Dragon Ball. I actually love Avril Lavigne myself, BUT I'm against ideas like creating a song for Dragon Ball movie by hip-hop artists (or rap, whatever).
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Imagine a track like ‘Stronger’ from Kanye being used as an insert song during an action scene. That’d be fucking awesome. Of course, it will never happen.
That'd be fucking terrible. I can't really imagine something like that in Dragon Ball. Thank God it will never happen. I can understand that maybe someone would like that, especially if you love English dub with Faulconer score, or that strange GT soundtrack with heavy guitars. Yeaa ... no.

Saying this line in 2018 with regards to DB.
Watch the movie will get a score from Kendrick Lamar now

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Toriyama and metal? He could be. I feel like by reading DB and Slump I know more about his taste in movies than in music.
Yeah, that's true.

Either way, I can only imagine pop or (symphonic) rock really fitting with DB. We'll see. It's not the most important aspect of the movie, but a good song can help with the hype.
Oh, and I'm totally for JAM doing the theme song.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Noah wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:It may not be SBB Evolution, but in the last DBS chapter Vegeta also has a stronger version of normal SSB, so maybe he will use it in the movie.
Please, that's like saying the anime borrowed the manga idea of having SSJG Goku out of nowhere in ToP, they can always make excuses, remember this is Super.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Noah wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Noah wrote: Nah, let's just keep the movie without the manga asininities :)
Please, that's like saying the anime borrowed the manga idea of having SSJG Goku out of nowhere in ToP, they can always make excuses, remember this is Super.
The anime literally did borrow that, just like how the manga borrowed Kaioken Blue and SSBE. The anime, manga, and movie series have more of a give and take relationship than people let on.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Mnich wrote:I can understand that maybe someone would like that, especially if you love English dub with Faulconer score, or that strange GT soundtrack with heavy guitars. Yeaa ... no.
I don’t like either of those but okay, whatever. Just thought it would be pretty cool that the series would give a nod to the hip-hop genre since it’s had a pretty big influence on a lot of artists. Just check out this video to see what I’m talking about. Not all of them are good, but talented artists such as Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper and Denzel Curry make refrences all the time. Childish Gambino in particular has this awesome TV show called Atlanta and he’s made a few great Dragon Ball refrences in both the first and second season.

But anyway, that has nothing to do with Broly. :lol: I’m cool with anything being the theme for the film, just as long as it isn’t another pop idol group. JAM Project are still my number 1 pick.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Just thought it would be pretty cool that the series would give a nod to the hip-hop genre since it’s had a pretty big influence on a lot of artists.
It doesn't mean they mix, though.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Just thought it would be pretty cool that the series would give a nod to the hip-hop genre since it’s had a pretty big influence on a lot of artists.
Yeah, I know. But it’s fun to experiment from time to time.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Not when you have a nostalgia driven fanbase like this one, who vehemently oppose any kind of different things cause "its not dragonball" as if thats not determined by the creators but instead the fans but i digress. Its not gonna happen

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Maybe, but it would depend on the kind of aesthetic, themes and cast of the film. Hip hop, as popular as it is, isn't very applicable to a lot of situations. It worked on Creed for example, but the same wouldn't be true of Rocky.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Maybe, but it would depend on the kind of aesthetic, themes and cast of the film. Hip hop, as popular as it is, isn't very applicable to a lot of situations. It worked on Creed for example, but the same wouldn't be true of Rocky.
100% agree. I can’t imagine Rocky with Creed’s OST. Having a hip-hop track in a Dragon Ball product that hasn’t been rescored by FUNimation would be jarring for a lot of people. Dragon Ball’s always been a lot different things to me, so I guess I’m more cool with the idea of having something as unfitting as hip-hop being used as a theme/insert song for the film.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Noah wrote:
nah that's not a Toyotaro thing. Toyotaro didnt invent the idea, Vegeta had it in both mediums he just didnt use it in the anime because it wouldn't have made sense for him to. For whatever reason Vegeta feels the need to use it in this movie. (hopefully it isnt for fan service only)

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:49 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Noah wrote:
nah that's not a Toyotaro thing. Toyotaro didnt invent the idea, Vegeta had it in both mediums he just didnt use it in the anime because it wouldn't have made sense for him to. For whatever reason Vegeta feels the need to use it in this movie. (hopefully it isnt for fan service only)
There's nothing that suggest that Vegeta had it, because SSGSS isn't obtained by powering up in SSG in the anime, but instead it's a form obtained through holding in your Ki.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Too late. Toyotaro's SSG Vegeta has already made it's way into the movie.
There's nothing that suggest that Vegeta had it, because SSGSS isn't obtained by powering up in SSG in the anime, but instead it's a form obtained through holding in your Ki.
Common sense suggest that Vegeta always had SSG. You need SSG in order to become a SSB in the first place, since SSB is merely what happens when a SSG goes SSJ (as stated in RoF). That's why SSB was originally call super saiyan god super saiyan.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Common sense suggest that Vegeta always had SSG. You need SSG in order to become a SSB in the first place, since SSB is merely what happens when a SSG goes SSJ (as stated in RoF). That's why SSB was originally call super saiyan god super saiyan.
Clearly not. Goku and Vegeta were shown to have obtained the form after they held in their ki.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Bergamo wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: There's nothing that suggest that Vegeta had it, because SSGSS isn't obtained by powering up in SSG in the anime, but instead it's a form obtained through holding in your Ki.
Clearly not. Goku and Vegeta were shown to have obtained the form after they held in their ki.
What do you mean by "held in their ki"? We never actually see the first time they ever'd transform into it. We are only told in RoF that SSB is simply a SSG going SSJ.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:36 pm

I really believe Toriyama is going to keep HIS version of Super with just Super Saiyan Blue. He didn't just write an outline where people are free to add to it but actually wrote the story and the director is taking that same script "as is."