Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by theTUN » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:No Bardock, no Gine, no King Vegeta, no young Nappa, no kid Raditz, no kid Vegeta, no sign of Yamoshi stuff and no sign of Saiyans and Tsufurujin stuff... C'mon, "main series", I really want to love you again, why don't you let me!? You have given fan service for everyone, so please, give me just a little bit, a tiny bit, I'm not asking too much, give something for me to get interested. Oh well... :|
sintzu wrote:If that trailer doesn't say epic then I don't know what does.
A trailer showing at least one of the things I mentioned above, too bad it wasn't the case...
There's a character who was very obviously Bardock and another who could very well be King Vegeta. Just because the trailer didn't spoil the entire movie doesn't mean it won't be there.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 pm

PFM18 wrote:I'm still scared it is going to be too close to the story of M8.(AKA no story.)

But it is promising that Broly charges Vegeta in the trailer. Maybe we get something along the lines that he hates Vegeta for his dad trying to kill him and not the "KAKAROT" BS we had before.
I pray it doesnt end the same way as in the original movie, "borrowing energies from everybody for a one punch KO to the gut".
And yes, please dont use the crying Goku plot again. I beg of you Toriyama

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Grimlock wrote:No Bardock, no Gine, no King Vegeta, no young Nappa, no kid Raditz, no kid Vegeta, no sign of Yamoshi stuff and no sign of Saiyans and Tsufurujin stuff... C'mon, "main series", I really want to love you again, why don't you let me!? You have given fan service for everyone, so please, give me just a little bit, a tiny bit, I'm not asking too much, give something for me to get interested. Oh well... :|
A trailer showing at least one of the things I mentioned above, too bad it wasn't the case...
You know this is supposed to be a trailer not a leaked scene from the movie itself to show all the things you wanted.
kemuri07 wrote:It looks pretty. Probably the prettiest DB has ever been. So......I guess I’ll watch it for the splosions and the KAKOROTTO!!!!!!
LOL

Too bad we didn't get any in the trailer.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:48 pm

LimitbreakerKrillin wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I'm still scared it is going to be too close to the story of M8.(AKA no story.)

But it is promising that Broly charges Vegeta in the trailer. Maybe we get something along the lines that he hates Vegeta for his dad trying to kill him and not the "KAKAROT" BS we had before.
I pray it doesnt end the same way as in the original movie, "borrowing energies from everybody for a one punch KO to the gut".
And yes, please dont use the crying Goku plot again. I beg of you Toriyama
We see a shot of a baby Saiyan so it is making me nervous. The ending being the same as Movie 8 would be awful. Actually anything other than the characters in the movie being like Movie 8 would be awful. Well, they had King Vegeta trying to Kill Broly in M8 and I think that could be executed really well. We will just have to wait and see but that trailer is making me cautiously optimistic.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 pm

theTUN wrote:There's a character who was very obviously Bardock and another who could very well be King Vegeta. Just because the trailer didn't spoil the entire movie doesn't mean it won't be there.
jeffbr92 wrote:You know this is supposed to be a trailer not a leaked scene from the movie itself to show all the things you wanted.
While I agree that scene matches what we see in Dragon Ball Minus, I don't want that kind of "teaser", I want at least a glimpse but actually showing him properly, not just his hand. No need to show me everything as I said, at least a glimpse of either characters/situation that I mentioned would be enough for me to get "hyped".
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:54 pm

We saw Bardock in the trailer. That scene with the small hand and big hand is one-to-one with the DBMinus manga. So we’ll ast least see Bardock and Gine. And there was another scene with those 2 saiyans on the yellow skied planet
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 pm

It feels like people just hold on to the initial reaction of Minus without thinking further than that, basically people decided to hate it. I can understand the initial dislike since it's "replacing"(it's not) Bardock's special. People just didn't bother putting things into perspective.

I like Bardock's special but it's so flawed in parts that it made me appreciate Minus adding duality and influence to the characters in such a short time. In the special Bardock is just another common Saiyan, with the exception that he's extremely strong and that an alien literally kicks a plot device into his head to make him matter. Even then we just accompany his journey to doing nothing at all, he actually doesn't influence Goku and therefore the main Dragon Ball storyline at all.

While minus Bardock affects the plot because he's smart and suspicious, saving his son. I also find it weird that people criticize him caring for his family when apparently the other Bardock caring for his companions isn't a problem...

I don't care to see Minus animated because it's so undeveloped but I'm fine with a short scene recognizing it if done tastefully.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Grimlock wrote:
theTUN wrote:There's a character who was very obviously Bardock and another who could very well be King Vegeta. Just because the trailer didn't spoil the entire movie doesn't mean it won't be there.
jeffbr92 wrote:You know this is supposed to be a trailer not a leaked scene from the movie itself to show all the things you wanted.
While I agree that scene matches what we see in Dragon Ball Minus, I don't want that kind of "teaser", I want at least a glimpse but actually showing him properly, not just his hand. No need to show me everything as I said, at least a glimpse of either characters/situation that I mentioned would be enough for me to get "hyped".
I’m sorry but of course you wouldn’t get hyped by a trailer because there is no way a trailer and probably not even the movie would show Bardock, Gine, King Vegeta, young Nappa, kid Raditz, kid Vegeta, Yamoshi stuff and Saiyans and Tsufurujin stuff. Thats too much to cover in a trailer and maybe even this movie
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm

opinion hate incoming

M8 is still the second best DB movie to me (right after Path to Power) so i don't care about story at all.
This is Broly movie so most people just expect big fights, not complex story.
Don't expect too much so you won't be disappointed.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:01 pm

LightBing wrote:It feels like people just hold on to the initial reaction of Minus without thinking further than that, basically people decided to hate it. I can understand the initial dislike since it's "replacing"(it's not) Bardock's special. People just didn't bother putting things into perspective.

I like Bardock's special but it's so flawed in parts that it made me appreciate Minus adding duality and influence to the characters in such a short time. In the special Bardock is just another common Saiyan, with the exception that he's extremely strong and that an alien literally kicks a plot device into his head to make him matter. Even then we just accompany his journey to doing nothing at all, he actually doesn't influence Goku and therefore the main Dragon Ball storyline at all.

While minus Bardock affects the plot because he's smart and suspicious, saving his son. I also find it weird that people criticize him caring for his family when apparently the other Bardock caring for his companions isn't a problem...

I don't care to see Minus animated because it's so undeveloped but I'm fine with a short scene recognizing it if done tastefully.
People don't hate Minus just because it contradicts the TV Special, there are plenty of reasons more than that

by Doctor.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:03 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
LightBing wrote:It feels like people just hold on to the initial reaction of Minus without thinking further than that, basically people decided to hate it. I can understand the initial dislike since it's "replacing"(it's not) Bardock's special. People just didn't bother putting things into perspective.

People don't hate Minus just because it contradicts the TV Special, there are plenty of reasons more than that
Its funny because Toriyama said he loved the Bardock special but now here we are, in a day where he’s changed it for the worse and now its in our first dbs movie. And i have yet to see Yamoshi (but thats just by complaint).

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Champa The Destroyer wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Did you just compare me to THAT person? Come on.
I watched all series. I can have my opinion and i can give you arguments why i like one thing and don't like the other.
You don't have to agree with them of course. But i have every right to share my opinion and honestly the only fanboys right now are people who get triggered because i didn't like this trailer. No one has ever said it's "Praise DBS movie" topic. I didn't even mention GT here. You are the ones who brought it.
But please, don't compare me to people who pretend they have opinion. That's not fair.
I tend to totally disagree with your posts, but trust me, I understand how annoying it is when you have a negative opinion about something and people on the opposite end of that opinion get so defensive that they resort to false assumptions, false equivalences or just plain ad hominem attacks. It's very frustrating to deal with.

But hey, harsh criticisms always elicit harsh responses. It's too bad some can't stay at tackling the argument rather than attacking the person themselves. This is a fictional series for crying out loud, it's not American politics.

That being said, I love the art and animation direction all the way, though I admittedly don't have any expectations for the film from a narrative standpoint.

Since when have I attacked Sunsetshimmer as a person? I asked her if she was just here to crap on Super and she responded by attacking me, saying I was "triggered" and saying I didn't read the post. I responded by calling out the hypocracy in that statement and compared her method of posting to SupremeKai25 and they got offended and attacked me again by calling me a fanboy. So who exactly is the one attacking who?

In that part part yeah, if it's a M8 ripoff that's going to destroy much of my enjoyment of the film.
I never, ever said it was you in particular who was attacking Sunsetshimmer, nor did I even mention your name. I was just replying to him or her and no one else, but thanks to this doggone notifications system it likely notified you as well. But, if you still feel that what I said applies to you irrespective of that, then...

In this "new era" I've learned not to expect much from Dragon Ball these days from a narrative standpoint. What wowed us when we were younger (or if you got into DB late and there's no nostalgia for you), hasn't really grown with us from then or gotten much better for us from a storytelling standpoint. In some ways, one could argue it's gotten worse. And there are others who argue it's gotten better. I'm not in that latter camp. After going through Dragon Ball Super, I'm just here for the fights at this point.
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote: Lol at me disliking GT, I've said at least 15 times since I've been here that I like GT, so take your own advice of reading posts. Also, I'm not triggered, I'm just wondering why you're here. If anybody is "triggered", well, you're the one who wrote a paragraph and is trying to put words in my mouth. The fact you come here multiple times day to say "Super sucks k bye" doesnt exactly help your case.
Ok, sorry then. Why am i here? Maybe because DBS movie trailer was released and i wanted to watch it and say what i think about it?
I didn't come here randomly to say "Super sucks" so don't say i do things like that. I never did that. It's just stupid.

I am not triggered. People who responded to my opinion are. Because no one asked "Why do you think it's awful". I got only some posts calling me "troll" or "GT fanboy" (where did i mention GT again?).

Let me ask, be honest, if I kept talking about DBZ only would you or anyone call me "DBZ fanboy"? I doubt that.

Also, coming here multiple times per day to hate Super isn't any different than coming multiple times per day and praising DBS.
Both are just sharing opinion. If you want to know why i think what i think just ask. Or ignore me. I won't be mad.

Also:
Nobody has ever said that you can't have your opinion, but I see constant posts of "(insert Super Arc here) was so terrible that even the Super 17 Arc was better" or something along those lines. Constantly.
Does it sound like "Super 17 arc is awesome" to you? Nah.

Just this post about how bad the trailer is on its own is fine, but you've been on this and many other threads saying about how garbage Super is. We get it, you don't like Super. That's great that we can have differing opinions and discuss them, but "lol this sucks so much yet people love it lmao" is not constructive, nor does open up any opportunity for civil debate on a forum that's heavily centered in civil debate.

And yet I'm the one who's being accused of being attacked :roll: Maybe you could have constructive discussion if you said constructively criticized it in the first place. In this case, I actually agree that the animation looks bad, it seems off, and the color is jarring compared to normal Dragon Ball, but I'm not saying repeatedly how I hate it and I say it constructively.

Actually I would! Z is by far the most overrated of the 4 series, and I find the Cell and Boo Arcs hard to sit through at some points. Imo OG Dragon Ball is the best out of the 4.

I will, and I have about some topics, but if you repeat the same exact points in a different day repeatedly then there's no point in repeating the same discussion. Also I don't repeatedly praise Super, I only have 3 out of 5 Arcs as passable.

I didn't say that you loved the super 17 Arc, I was giving an example of you using 1 arc that you didn't like to make Super seem even worse.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:

opinion hate incoming

M8 is still the second best DB movie to me (right after Path to Power) so i don't care about story at all.
This is Broly movie so most people just expect big fights, not complex story.
Don't expect too much so you won't be disappointed.
I LOVE PATH TO POWER!

But I generally think the DB/DBZ movies were pretty bad. I think there's so much room for improvement upon M8 and there's just so damn much untapped potential that it almost feels like it would be hard to screw this up.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:I’m sorry but of course you wouldn’t get hyped by a trailer because there is no way a trailer and probably not even the movie would show Bardock, Gine, King Vegeta, young Nappa, kid Raditz, kid Vegeta, Yamoshi stuff and Saiyans and Tsufurujin stuff. Thats too much to cover in a trailer and maybe even this movie
That's too much indeed. That's why this movie should have been solely focused on the past of the Saiyans, we don't need more and more the main cast in everything.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Its funny because Toriyama said he loved the Bardock special but now here we are, in a day where he’s changed it for the worse and now its in our first dbs movie. And i have yet to see Yamoshi (but thats just by complaint).
If he loved, he didn't had to destroy it.

by Doctor.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Grimlock wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:I’m sorry but of course you wouldn’t get hyped by a trailer because there is no way a trailer and probably not even the movie would show Bardock, Gine, King Vegeta, young Nappa, kid Raditz, kid Vegeta, Yamoshi stuff and Saiyans and Tsufurujin stuff. Thats too much to cover in a trailer and maybe even this movie
That's too much indeed. That's why this movie should have been solely focused on the past of the Saiyans, we don't need more and more the main cast in everything.
I’d love backstory but that sounds more like something worthy of a TV special. People want stakes, tension, and in this case, a chnage in the status quo. And people love their main characters. And a movie about history doesn’t fit that. The only way it can work is if an event in the present is somehow linked to the past therefore making the history valuable to the story while it still isn’t the main part of the conflict. Thats what this movie should be doing. LETS BE HONEST. You might agree with me on this but I’ll be pissed as hell if i don’t get at least a 7 minute flash back of the conflict between Yamoshi and the evil saiyans. I mean, Toriyama just happened to know all that lore around the time of the movie’s production. But then again, why would he reveal all that in an interview if it would be a key part of the movie’s story. IDK! I just want my Yamoshi. And still... fuck dbminus.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Its funny because Toriyama said he loved the Bardock special but now here we are, in a day where he’s changed it for the worse and now its in our first dbs movie. And i have yet to see Yamoshi (but thats just by complaint).
He didn't change anything for the worse, he showed how things actually happened.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:15 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
If he loved, he didn't had to destroy it.
Exactly my point. He should have just left the story alone. And it contracts Dragon ball because Grandpa Gohan finds Goku as a baby with no saiyan armor on. The DBMinus Goku looks like a toddler who recognizes his parents and has a suit on while he’s in the space pod. The only good thing that comes of DBMinus is Gine.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:16 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote: I tend to totally disagree with your posts, but trust me, I understand how annoying it is when you have a negative opinion about something and people on the opposite end of that opinion get so defensive that they resort to false assumptions, false equivalences or just plain ad hominem attacks. It's very frustrating to deal with.

But hey, harsh criticisms always elicit harsh responses. It's too bad some can't stay at tackling the argument rather than attacking the person themselves. This is a fictional series for crying out loud, it's not American politics.

That being said, I love the art and animation direction all the way, though I admittedly don't have any expectations for the film from a narrative standpoint.

Since when have I attacked Sunsetshimmer as a person? I asked her if she was just here to crap on Super and she responded by attacking me, saying I was "triggered" and saying I didn't read the post. I responded by calling out the hypocracy in that statement and compared her method of posting to SupremeKai25 and they got offended and attacked me again by calling me a fanboy. So who exactly is the one attacking who?

In that part part yeah, if it's a M8 ripoff that's going to destroy much of my enjoyment of the film.
I never, ever said it was you in particular who was attacking Sunsetshimmer, nor did I even mention your name. I was just replying to him or her and no one else, but thanks to this doggone notifications system it likely notified you as well. But, if you still feel that what I said applies to you irrespective of that, then...

In this "new era" I've learned not to expect much from Dragon Ball these days from a narrative standpoint. What wowed us when we were younger (or if you got into DB late and there's no nostalgia for you), hasn't really grown with us from then or gotten much better for us from a storytelling standpoint. In some ways, one could argue it's gotten worse. And there are others who argue it's gotten better. I'm not in that latter camp. After going through Dragon Ball Super, I'm just here for the fights at this point.

The thing that misled me was that that post was in direct response to her post, which was a direct response to mine. Even then, I apologize for misunderstanding your post.

And I agree, as much as I'm getting called a Super fanboy, I can admit that the stories of all but the last two Arcs themselves are garbage.

BOG Arc: Beerus wants to fight a strong guy
ROF Arc: Freeza wants to fight Goku
U6: Beerus and Champa want a tournament for food