Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:So is there really no other movie news in V Jump besides the monthly manga chapter?
There's a page with some pictures of Broly and screencaps from the trailer, but apparently it's all just stuff we already know.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Miracles wrote:I'm sorry, Broly is already established as a "cool evil villain." Any destruction of this hype that has established him as a megastar would kill his status. :thumbdown:
Noah wrote:
LightBing wrote:I have a feeling Broly will end up being a good(ish) guy by the end of this. Freeza has stepped into the role of recurring villain; Broly will become the unreliable ally who lives far away with it's cute alien girlfriend. He sometimes shows up to help but he can lose control and become the enemy. He will be become our Hulk.
Broly as a good guy? No, sorry, but that would ruin his character. Broly has to be evil, I could accept him ending as a anti-hero (though that would just be another Vegeta)
Thats what people said when it was revealed that they would bring back Freeza for the T.o.P. It would ruin his status. Now he’s more popular than ever and he’s even survived.

Nothing says that Broly HAS to be evil. In fact, there’s nothing that makes him “evil” except the control of Paragus which they hint will be a factor in the movie. By himself, Broly’s most extreme is a chaotic neutral.

Most Broly fans care more about seeing Broly body people and less about who’s side he’s bodying. So they’ll accept it eventually. Broly isn’t established as “cool evil villain”. He’s established as “Buff Berserker Saiyan”. As long as he’s still that, chances are he’ll keep his status.
kudo6000 wrote:They label him as a force to be reckoned with. Nothing about his ambitions and over all alignment has been set in stone. It doesn't kill anything.
This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmEVi62ZhlU

I'm sorry, Broly was straight up "I don't care, do something about it," evil. :lol:

Freeza is a self controlled evil. He is not the same as Broly.
It would destroy that epic aura to have Broly shift.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Thats what people said when it was revealed that they would bring back Freeza for the T.o.P. It would ruin his status. Now he’s more popular than ever and he’s even survived.

Nothing says that Broly HAS to be evil. In fact, there’s nothing that makes him “evil” except the control of Paragus which they hint will be a factor in the movie. By himself, Broly’s most extreme is a chaotic neutral.

Most Broly fans care more about seeing Broly body people and less about who’s side he’s bodying. So they’ll accept it eventually. Broly isn’t established as “cool evil villain”. He’s established as “Buff Berserker Saiyan”. As long as he’s still that, chances are he’ll keep his status.
Pardon, but I was only against Freeza returning in ToP because of how dreadful was his last appearance and it would be his seventh return to the screen (counting fillers and movies). It had all the reasons to go wrong, but it was decent this time (I say decent, because his characterization in the last six episodes were trash).
Also Freeza didn't became a good guy, hell not even neutral as he expressed the desire to keep doing his villainies which Goku replied he would stop him whatever the case.

Nothing says from this new rebooted character, but the original which they are basing up, yes. Broly was evil just for the sake of being evil, you could say we already have a lot of villains like that, okay... So why not expand that? Set a reason for his hatred of Goku, for his motivations and better yet show things he care about.

Don't go on a Hulk route with Broly as that only defines that this franchise has run out ideas and has to pick up from other ones (Marvel).
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:49 am

I have faith in broly movie to offer us something new .. it’s supposed that they’ve working on the script for a long time , so , it will be so disappointed if this is just a fighting movie that won’t introduce an interesting argument.
And now that looks like the movies are related to the series , I have my hopes that this movie won’t be an isolated story and something with an impact into the future stories an arcs .
Otherwise , just a villain to be happily defeated, doesn’t need toriyama heavily involved like he was supposed to be from more than a year ago ?
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:02 am

Noah wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Thats what people said when it was revealed that they would bring back Freeza for the T.o.P. It would ruin his status. Now he’s more popular than ever and he’s even survived.

Pardon, but I was only against Freeza returning in ToP because of how dreadful was his last appearance and it would be his seventh return to the screen (counting fillers and movies). It had all the reasons to go wrong, but it was decent this time (I say decent, because his characterization in the last six episodes were trash).
Also Freeza didn't became a good guy, hell not even neutral as he expressed the desire to keep doing his villainies which Goku replied he would stop him whatever the case.

Nothing says from this new rebooted character, but the original which they are basing up, yes. Broly was evil just for the sake of being evil, you could say we already have a lot of villains like that, okay... So why not expand that? Set a reason for his hatred of Goku, for his motivations and better yet show things he care about.

Don't go on a Hulk route with Broly as that only defines that this franchise has run out ideas and has to pick up from other ones (Marvel).
You’d call that running out of ideas but you wouldn’t call Evil Goku and reviving Freeza AGAIN as running out of ideas? What about the fact that they’re making Broly canon in the first place!? By your logic, they’ve been out of ideas for a while
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:04 am

Miracles wrote:I'm sorry, Broly was straight up "I don't care, do something about it," evil. :lol:

Could have sworn we were talking about the new Broly, here.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:12 am

kudo6000 wrote:
Miracles wrote:I'm sorry, Broly was straight up "I don't care, do something about it," evil. :lol:

Could have sworn we were talking about the new Broly, here.
We are. This new Broly is suppose to keep that classic image up as not to disappoint the fans.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 am

Miracles wrote:This new Broly is suppose to keep that classic image up as not to disappoint the fans.
No, he isn't. That's the point of revision.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:You’d call that running out of ideas but you wouldn’t call Evil Goku and reviving Freeza AGAIN as running out of ideas? What about the fact that they’re making Broly canon in the first place!? By your logic, they’ve been out of ideas for a while
Both were, also the franchise running out of ideas began in the Boo arc where Toriyama couldn't decide himself who would kill Majin Boo and brought Vegeta back that should remain dead forever. Also this franchise has no canon, so Broly, Paragus, Dr. Uiro or the Para Para brothers being on Super don't concern me in anything.
kudo6000 wrote:
Miracles wrote:This new Broly is suppose to keep that classic image up as not to disappoint the fans.
No, he isn't. That's the point of revision.
But these were words from the author himself?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:26 am

Toriyama never specified that the in tact image would be the former Broly’s malicious and psychotic behavior. For all we know, he just meant the original LSS design - which in all honestly is where any similarities between the old and the new come to an end; that, and the fact that he’s a rage house whose name is also Paragus’ son, Broly.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:10 am

Bullza wrote:Reading the latest interview, I don't like how they feel the movie has to be 90 minutes.

One Piece Strong World was 113 minutes and One Piece Gold was 120 minutes.

So why can't we have a two hour Dragon Ball movie too? At least they said they pushed it past 90 minutes but they did say by a little bit.
I'm guessing that in this case, One Piece is the outlier because it's so huge in Japan, while other shounen series have to stick closer to the 90 minute mark since they're considered to be mainly of interest to children. They probably worry if a child-aimed movie goes on too long, the kids will get bored. This is just my guess since I haven't watched a ton of other shounen movies, but I recently saw the My Hero Academia one, and that was a bit over 90 minutes, too.

But yeah, I'm also curious how much this "little bit" over 90 will be. 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Probably not 30, since that seems like more than a little, but maybe up to 15? Who knows...
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:29 am

sailorspazz wrote:
Bullza wrote:One Piece Strong World was 113 minutes and One Piece Gold was 120 minutes. So why can't we have a two hour Dragon Ball movie too?
I'm guessing that in this case, One Piece is the outlier because it's so huge in Japan, while other shounen series have to stick closer to the 90 minute mark since they're considered to be mainly of interest to children. They probably worry if a child-aimed movie goes on too long, the kids will get bored.
Naruto road to ninja and the last were both over 110 minutes long as well. During the marketing of BOG they said kids may not like anything longer than 90 minutes so they limit them to that but they don't with One Piece and pierrot didn't with Naruto's last 2 movies (they did with Boruto) so clearly DB is being aimed more at kids than the other 2 franchises I mentioned (whether or not people here want to accept it or not).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:So is there really no other movie news in V Jump besides the monthly manga chapter?
There's a page with some pictures of Broly and screencaps from the trailer, but apparently it's all just stuff we already know.
I wonder if we're just gonna get fluff like that until the big reveal now. Maybe some more showcases of SSG Vegeta, maybe some battle damaged sheets for Goku (or Vegeta) too.
sintzu wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:
Bullza wrote:One Piece Strong World was 113 minutes and One Piece Gold was 120 minutes. So why can't we have a two hour Dragon Ball movie too?
I'm guessing that in this case, One Piece is the outlier because it's so huge in Japan, while other shounen series have to stick closer to the 90 minute mark since they're considered to be mainly of interest to children. They probably worry if a child-aimed movie goes on too long, the kids will get bored.
Naruto road to ninja and the last were both over 110 minutes long as well. During the marketing of BOG they said kids may not like anything longer than 90 minutes so they limit them to that but they don't with One Piece and pierrot didn't with Naruto's last 2 movies (they did with Boruto) so clearly DB is being aimed more at kids than the other 2 franchises I mentioned (whether or not people here want to accept it or not).
They want their cake and want to eat it too. Oh most of our DBS merchandise will be aimed at 15 year olds but the show will still be aimed for kids... like you can't have it both ways. It is exactly like Pokemon, Gamefreak literally said they made Let's go Pikachu and Eevee for kids who don't have smartphones to play Go and for novice players yet in the launch trailer? Nothing but adults playing the game. The kids thing is just some BS for them to spout, how many Hollywood children films are over 90mins? Quite a few and most of them make money so this excuse of kids will be bored and won't like anything over 90mins is dumb. Coco is just 10 minutes under 2hrs and made $46m in Japan. Zootopia similar run time made $72m in Japan. So this kids thing does not fly with me.

If anything the run time is probably purely for monetary gain. Shorter run times allow for more screenings the kids thing is just an excuse I feel.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 am

As was pointed out The Last Naruto movie was 112 minutes. It was the most successful of the lot at the time too.

Yeah, the shorter a movie means more showings a day which mean more money....but then yeah the One Piece movies made a ton.

Resurrection F was longer than Battle of Gods and made significantly more money so it's not like it can't be longer.

It requires it really, 90 minutes just isn't long enough to really get going especially when most of it is just fighting.

At least let it be 100 minutes.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:28 am

The target demo isn't kids. Kids as in toddlers and pre-teens. Not saying they don't matter or young children who like DB don't exist, they do. But, just like in the old days the demo skews teens(12+) and adults(mostly 20-34). It is the case with most shounen titles in fact, but especially old titles. They are driving this franchise.

As for why 90 minute? If they had extended it, they might fall behind schedule or might lack resources to do it or both. Animation costs a lot of money and time after all.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:33 am

Calm/base/whatever-you-want-to call-it Broly had 0 personality in the old movies, he's 100% a blank slate. As long as when he loses control and goes Legendary he's the evil prick everybody knows, I don't see how, when calm and uncontrolled, being "good" (which would be more him not giving a shit about anything Paragus and Freeza want rather than... Boyscout Broly or smth) is bad for his character.

Too much like Banner/Hulk? Maaaybe, but the Hulk is not evil.
Too stupid keeping him alive and with rage issues when Kale could learn to control her power in 10 minutes? Again, maybe, but Broly is much stronger than her anyway so I can see him having more trouble. He's also an unevolved U7 shitty Saiyan so there's also that.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 am

Bullza wrote:As was pointed out The Last Naruto movie was 112 minutes. It was the most successful of the lot at the time too.

Yeah, the shorter a movie means more showings a day which mean more money....but then yeah the One Piece movies made a ton.

Resurrection F was longer than Battle of Gods and made significantly more money so it's not like it can't be longer.

It requires it really, 90 minutes just isn't long enough to really get going especially when most of it is just fighting.

At least let it be 100 minutes.
I think it will be reasonably timed due to the fact that the pre-production has been great and the film seems to be well planned out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 am

The movie has been extended over the 90 minutes of time. It will most likely end up longer than RoF. I can see it being around 105 or 110 minutes.
I don’t think they are aiming for very young kids at all. Their target audience is probably around the 12 years of age but they are surely considering older people too, considering how the movie is about Broly. Nagamine also wished to entertain the parents accompanying their children. I would say Dragon Ball’s target demographic is similar to Star Wars’. They consider both new and old fans, while keeping the same feeling as always as to not alienate the kids expecting fun and action, and the adults expecting to see Dragon Ball and not something different.

I hope there will be blood and I don’t see why there shouldn’t be, as there was in RoF, there was little in Super and there was a lot in Kai and its flashbacks used in Super. I am not expecting to see lot of blood like in the 90s, but I think we will see at least a drop of blood.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:38 am

It seems if they change Broly in parts we'll get a repeat of one of the Minus criticism: #notmyBardock. Except in this case it will be #notmyBroly.

People saying he can't be good are forgetting he's not supposed to be the same. Broly isn't supposed to be anything, he's new! This movie might copy a lot of things from his other version but at the end of the day it's a brand new Broly that can be and do whatever it pleases.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:52 am

Even if he is new I don't want him to be 100% good, they could do something new with him. I don't know maybe he could stay neutral and do his own things.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu