Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by prince212 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Rakurai wrote:Bardock was so far away from Frieza's ship, and there is zero indication that Frieza in the film paid any attention to the group of people in space,
What there's zero indication is that there's any contradiction with the manga in that regard. Just because you don't have a line of dialogue of Freeza acknowleding the Saiyans doesn't mean he didn't see them. Actually, he did see them because they were placed directly in his line of sight. So much so that he fired towards them and the planet.

Seeing is all that's required for Freeza to remember, and there's no contradiction on that.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 pm

HAHAHAAHHAAHAHAH! :lol: That really made me laugh hard! I'm dying! :lol:

Now everything makes sense, Freeza managed to see Bardock through his huge attack using binoculars! :lol:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:19 pm

One thing I noticed about the dub is they used 'Battle Power' vs. 'Power Level.' I haven't kept up with the dub; is this a recent change in style?
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Maybe I'm trippin but did anyone else feel like the animation and some of the on-model CGI in some scenes felt 3D almost 4D?

Damn this movie's visuals are so freaken good (I'm going to go see it again Saturday) what's funny is I took my crush and she said "The Movie was really entertaining I just really couldn't keep up with some of the fighting cause they moved really fast" and that's very true it did feel really fast but I could see fine lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Grimlock wrote:Now everything makes sense, Freeza managed to see Bardock through his huge attack using binoculars! :lol:
Sometimes I wonder which movie people have seen... Bardock doesn't appear all of a sudden after Freeza fires. He's already there even when Freeza comes out of the ship.

But please, go head and pretend it shows something else. Or joke about a non-issue...

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm

Well, I’m set to see this movie in an hour. Truth be told, I’m a little self-conscious about the idea of watching an anime film in theaters, but I guess I’ll just have to step out of my comfort zone.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Saw it last night, first time seeing DB on the big screen. Really enjoyed it despite being the dub. Minus Piccolo's "what in the multiverse" line, the script seems very coherent and flowed well. All the voice actors put on a really great performance. Animation looked solid all around and the CG that was used in places looked good as well. Looking forward to the home release so I can watch it again with the original cast.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 pm

prince212 wrote: Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: How could I be so ignorant, we're meant to understand that Frieza's vision is as acute as Piccolo's hearing when it comes to spotting monkeys who haven't done anything worth memorable to him in the retcon and still somehow remember a shred of their resemblance over 20 years later. Even though said monkey couldn't even see or speak to him.
Luso Saiyan wrote:
Rakurai wrote:Bardock was so far away from Frieza's ship, and there is zero indication that Frieza in the film paid any attention to the group of people in space,
What there's zero indication is that there's any contradiction with the manga in that regard. Just because you don't have a line of dialogue of Freeza acknowleding the Saiyans doesn't mean he didn't see them. Actually, he did see them because they were placed directly in his line of sight. So much so that he fired towards them and the planet.

Seeing is all that's required for Freeza to remember, and there's no contradiction on that.
Rakurai wrote:if he even knew they were there at all. No mention of a rebellion by either him or his cronies.
Irrelevant. They were up there, and that's enough to make the point. What Freeza said in the manga is not contradicted by the movie.
There is no indication Frieza saw or noticed anything else but the planet below him. Truly you are master of narrative origami.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Rakurai wrote:
prince212 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: How could I be so ignorant, we're meant to understand that Frieza's vision is as acute as Piccolo's hearing when it comes to spotting monkeys who haven't done anything worth memorable to him in the retcon and still somehow remember a shred of their resemblance over 20 years later. Even though said monkey couldn't even see or speak to him.

There is no indication Frieza saw or noticed anything else but the planet below him. Truly you are master of narrative origami.
Well , we’ve got this two frames , bardock is one of those black points
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Sometimes I wonder which movie people have seen... Bardock doesn't appear all of a sudden after Freeza fires. He's already there even when Freeza comes out of the ship.
I ask you the same: which movie have you seen? Again, I didn't see Bardock outer space with Freeza being able to see him. And yes, first Freeza shoots and then Bardock appears and tries to push it back. That's how it was presented in the movie.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:13 am

Well, that was quite possibly the weirdest theater experience I’ve ever had. First off, the turnout was ridiculously large, which was kind of unfortunate for me, since I was hoping I’d have a quiet environment to watch a movie that I was frankly somewhat embarrassed about going out to see. Anyway, the crowd didn’t seem to particularly care about being quiet, since there were a bunch of people who kept on talking and cheering before and after the movie started playing. People even clapped and cheered at the FUNimation and Toei logos, which I thought was kind of silly. Also, the people in the theater cracked up like crazy at the part where Freeza mentioned wanting to become taller, as well as at the part where Broly wailed on Freeza. Still, I don’t want to be too judgemental, since this is obviously a movie that’s made specifically for fans of the franchise, and I already knew the entire plot of the movie anyway, since I read up on spoilers back in November.

Anyway, as far as the movie itself is concerned, it’s passable, I suppose. It’s a lot better than the pile of boring schlock that is Ressurection ‘F’, since it does have some substance to it beyond just shallow fanservice and boring exposition about things that we already know about (although it did have some of that as well). As far as the opening with the Saiyans is concerned, I was fine with the stuff that had to do with Broly and Paragus, but once it did the “five years later” caption, we just got an animated version of Minus, with nothing really added apart from that scene of Vegeta, Raditz and Nappa. It was basically just an inferior alternative to the Bardock special, just like the source material it was adapted from. Also, I watched the English dub, and let me just say that I thought Justin Cook sounded pretty hilarious as a young Raditz.

I’m guessing this will be an unpopular opinion, but I didn’t care much for Cheelai and Lemo. I didn’t dislike them, but I didn’t particularly care for the scenes with them and Broly. On the subject of Broly, this new incarnation of him is...alright. I’ve never really been on the “I hate Broly” bandwagon, but I can certainly see why the people who hated the original Broly would find this new version of him to be a breath of fresh air, although I kind of think that he sometimes came off as some OC character. In terms of which new characters I thought truly stood out, I was quite fond of Berryblue, as well as Kikono to a lesser degree. I really like the way that these two work off Freeza, especially with how Berryblue was able to casually make fun of Freeza without having to worry about any violent retribution from him. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of these guys in the future.

Anyway, those are the only noteworthy things I really have to say about the movie. There were of course some flashy fight scenes, but I the fight against Broly went on for so long that it kind of started to wear out its welcome, and like with the previous two movies, there was some ugly CGI that looked horribly out of place. I don’t know why they keep using CGI for these films when they clearly don’t have the budget to make them look good. It doesn’t enhance the animation, it just looks jarring.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:55 am

Zelvin wrote:I saw the movie last night and am seeing it again tonight. I did really enjoy and like this movie, and while the CG models were much more noticeable during the Other Dimension part of the fight, the only thing that really made me frown was how things progressed much too quickly. As if the film was rushing itself. It's 101min long and it still feels like it went by too quickly, especially the first half where it feels like we're missing a good chunk of the story. And I get the feeling this is because of how much they cut down Toriyama's script. That's kinda sad. It makes me feel like there was much more for us to know and see to get us more invested in the Saiyans, but it all got gutted just to make it feature length.

I really hope that the Broly Novel gets an official translation or someone does a really good fan translation of it for everyone to read, cause I feel like a lot of what was cut out will be in the book.
I felt the same way about the film feeling too "fast" (many major moments happen within a couple of minutes of each other). But then again, Toriyama is a writer of serial narratives. Not short compact films. I've come to accept that the rushed feeling the last 2 films is due to that. I'm more thankful that we got anything. And what we got will be enjoyed for years to come.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:08 am

My theatre was packed and was nearly sold out. I had to see the movie tonight and not last night because the movie sold out on the first day. Anyways, I had a lot of fun with the movie and I enjoy it. It's far from perfect, but I take it over ROF. I do like Toriyama's take on Broly's character way more than Toei's version in my opinion. It was the cringy Minus retcon that was the worst part of the movie, but everything else was pretty good. The animation is fantastic for a DB movie and I would love to watch this movie in 4K UHD if we get a 4K release.

I do like how we don't have a real villain, but someone who is just confused on who to be. The original Broli was just a dumb mindless character who was evil because Goku's crying. I feel like Toriyama added more depth to his character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:23 am

I went to go see it with a buddy last night but it was sold out by the time we got there, so I bought a ticket for tomorrow's showing only to realize that I work during that time. I might end up having to wait for the Blu-Ray to come out to watch it legitimately.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:47 am

I just got back from the movie. It was kind of insane. I'm going to put some numbers before opinions because that structures things better and I don't want to bother categorizing them.

1. Obviously, the animation was incredible. I loved pretty much every aspect of it. The fighting was great obviously (if surprisingly difficult to comprehend during Shida's sequence, which I thought I'd like more than I did), but I especially appreciated the character acting during the dialogue sequences. Goku, Vegeta, Broly, Cheelai, Freeza and Beerus were all so full of life.

2. Actually, I don't love the line filtering they've been doing since the ToP arc. It made sense for a show whose designs and production were so fucked that it covered up inconsistencies, but here I think it actually makes things look rougher around the edges than they need to. Regardless, it was still a visual thrillride.

3. I thought it'd be Cheelai, but I actually for some reason really liked Lemo in particular. I expected him to be this grumpy old man who says "no" to everything-type character, but he ended up being agreeable and relatable. He's just a guy trying to keep his head down and live his life, but he's not dismissive of Cheelai and Broly, nor does he refuse to get things moving when he realizes shit is fucked.

4. One of the blaster sound effects early in the film was the same as this Star Wars one. That was weird.

5. The dub was mostly good. I can't compare accuracy having not watched the Japanese version, but I think most of the main cast did a good job. To be honest though...I like Vic Mignogna, but he fucking sucks at screaming. For real. His screams were so lame, even compared to Goku and Vegeta's. Also, they didn't put the stupid echo thing from Super on the screams, can they ALSO stop doing it in the regular series? Also, the acting on a lot of the flashback characters was kind of poor. All the saiyan doctors had weird accents, and the kid versions of Vegeta and Raditz just sounded off.

6. Freeza is the best character in this movie.

7. I heard the "who are we supposed to be rooting for" and "tonally inconsistent" comments from Ajay made me think it'd be an issue I'd notice immediately during the Gogeta sequence, but as it happened I feel like it actually was supposed to transition from Gogeta being awesome to Broly being in danger. When Gogeta first shows up it's all triumphant, and he does cool shit and looks cool, but then the scene with Cheelai and Lemo getting the Dragon Balls and trying to save him happens, and the music shifts and Gogeta gets drawn with these insane exaggerated expressions and Broly is barely even fighting back. The only thing stopping me from saying that it was intended for you to actually want to see Broly make it out okay here is that it's not acknowledged in-universe in any way. I didn't have nearly the issue with it that I thought I would.

8. Tarble is mentioned, and that sucks. Tarble sucks. They tried making a better Tarble with Cabba, and he sucked. Stop mentioning Tarble in your work if you're not gonna make him good, Toriyama.

9. The CG was very noticeable. On the characters it looked okay, but the environments looked no different from the awkwardly-realistic ones of Battle of Gods. They really did improve over RoF but they poured it all into character design so it looked a little bit like the 2D characters were superimposed onto photographs at points, and it got a little distracting.

10. It was fun.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:16 am

Just tell me this...For all those who seen the movie...In the Japanese original [Or in any of the alternate versions] did they use the classic DBZ sound effects?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:45 am

No they didn't, Hidenori Arai hasn't been with the series since Super started.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:49 am

Shaddy wrote:No they didn't, Hidenori Arai hasn't been with the series since Super started.
Thanks.

Wow, I miss those beautiful sounds. It kinda played apart in making DBZ so iconic.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:35 am

Ok. I've seen all 3 versions now: Japanese, Spanish and English. I've noticed quite a few differences in translation, if anyone is interested. Some of them are tiny, some of them deserve a bit more mention. Note: I could be making all these presumptions on bad subs, so take it for what it is. Although, I'm fairly sure the subs are accurate.

Examples:
- Frieza meets Saiyans: Frieza calling them "Monkeys", while in Japanese and Spanish it's just a simple sarcastic "greetings".
- When Whis talks to Bulma right before the fight: The Japanese/Spanish version has Whis say explain this confrontation as sort of being a Saiyan ritual, and that's why it was best to not get involved. In English, I forget what it was, but it was definitely different. Whis made no mention of this being a ritual/custom.
- Goku meets Broly: In Japanese, Goku says "We're all saiyans, so let's fight." But Spanish/English, Goku says "We're all saiyans, so let's get along".
- Goku gag: Japanese/Spanish- Goku "Frieza...what does inhospitable mean?". They changed that in English as well.
- When Vegeta is first turning Super Saiyan: Spanish: "Eres un insensato", which means "You're a senseless" (like a wild beast). In Japanese: "You're pissing me off". Again, for some reason the English line escapes me, but I totally remember thinking it was really different.
- Vegeta after asking for Senzu beans: Japanese: "This is no time to play around", English: "Looks like this is going to be harder than we thought". Spanish: "This is no time to be taking this at leisure".
- Goku barely dodges Broly's mouth blast: In Japanese and English, Goku asks "what would have happened if that blast had hit the ground?". In Spanish, he talks about HIM dying if hadn't dodged it.
- The first "psychic talk" between Piccolo and Goku is played more comedically in English. I think Goku even mumbles "Alright Piccolo, gotta go now" before he turns Blue. The audience was cracking up throughout. While not at all in Spanish, it's played straight.
- Goku and Vegeta leading Broly to Frieza: They don't say anything in Spanish/Japanese. But in English, Goku says something like "Have Fun Frieza!", which I actually thought was awesome. :lol:
- Then there's the obvious: "What in the multiverse?", "But Broly, you can call me Kakarot".

PS. I think the Japanese dub is far and away the best of the 3. I think it's incredible that Masako Nozawa and Ryo Horikawa can still be at the top of their game. Oh, and Japanese Broly was phenomenal. His screams gave me chills.